• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Changing gears a bit with this, but the consensus is that DKC's music selection for this game wasn't terribly inspired. So I'm curious, what would you personally have chosen? Ignoring the Brawl rips (assume they'd be included no matter what), these were the newly added DKC songs.

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style
Jungle Level Tribal Style
Gear Getaway
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Vocal)

Originals:
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger

Assuming you had to choose the same amount of new songs and originals, (so four and five respectively) what would your choices have been? You can certainly keep ones you already like though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Changing gears a bit with this, but the consensus is that DKC's music selection for this game wasn't terribly inspired. So I'm curious, what would you personally have chosen? Ignoring the Brawl rips (assume they'd be included no matter what), these were the newly added DKC songs.

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style
Gear Getaway

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger

Assuming you had to choose the same amount of new songs and originals, (so four and five respectively) what would your choices have been? You can certainly keep ones you already like though.
I'd keep all of the new ones, I actually like them a lot.

As for the originals, I'd keep everything except the latter two, which I'd replace with Crocodile Cacophany and Lockjaw's Saga.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style
Gear Getaway

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style -> Fear Factory (Donkey Kong Country)
Jungle Level Tribal Style -> Jib Jig (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
Gear Getaway
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Vocal) -> Rockface Rumble (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble)

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol -> Fungi Forest (Donkey Kong 64)
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger -> Busted Bayou (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style -> Fear Factory (Donkey Kong Country)
Jungle Level Tribal Style -> Jib Jig (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest)
Gear Getaway
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Vocal) -> Rockface Rumble (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble)

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol -> Fungi Forest (Donkey Kong 64)
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger -> Busted Bayou (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
Agreed except DKCR Vocals. I do actually like that one, and its more unique that the other two "Jungle Level" themes.

For Fear Factory, just replace one of the "Originals" with the DKCR remix of Fear Factory.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
What do you guys think the chances are of K. Rool getting a redesign should he make it in smash as dlc? I've noticed Mewtwo's playable dlc design is different from his trophy one.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What do you guys think the chances are of K. Rool getting a redesign should he make it in smash as dlc? I've noticed Mewtwo's playable dlc design is different from his trophy one.
I'm expecting the Paon design or something approximating it. I actually like the design - it's not quite as ferocious or maniacal as the Rare design, but it's sufficient to demonstrate his innate characteristics, and I think it'd fit perfectly into Smash.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm expecting the Paon design or something approximating it. I actually like the design - it's not quite as ferocious or maniacal as the Rare design, but it's sufficient to demonstrate his innate characteristics, and I think it'd fit perfectly into Smash.
Of course Sakurai did decide to use Mega Man's original design and Pac-Man's older 3-D design instead of their recent ones. Also he decided to keep the rocket barrel and pistols from DK64's design for Diddy.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Of course Sakurai did decide to use Mega Man's original design and Pac-Man's older 3-D design instead of their recent ones. Also he decided to keep the rocket barrel and pistols from DK64's design for Diddy.
I hadn't thought of that. Well spotted. :3

I'd love to see the Rare design make a comeback, or even a composite of the two. Whatever the Kremling King's got, I'm happy with that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Everything I hear Paon I think of this game,
, god I love this game

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style
Gear Getaway

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style Aquatic Ambience (DKC)
Jungle Level Tribal Style Crocodile Cacophony (DKC2)
Gear Getaway

Originals:
Donkey Kong Country Returns Fear Factory (DKCR)
Jungle Hijinxs Lockjaw's Saga (TF)
Mole Patrol Homecoming Hijinxs (TF)
Mangrove Cove Aqueduct Assault (TF)
Swinger Flinger Punch Bowl (TF)

The game's remixes were pretty good, jungle fetish aside, but the songs they chose to port over from Retro's games were pitiable compared to what could have been.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'm frustrated with the music choices for the DK series, but I think it ties back to the fact that they refuse to put any stages besides jungles and 8-bit girders for the series in.

Mines! Factories! Swamps! Wrecked Ships! Thorn mazes! Evergreen forests! Docks over lakes! Volcanos! (Oh, wait, that would detract from the manditory Metroid level.) There are all kinds of options they're adamantly refusing to utilize!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm frustrated with the music choices for the DK series, but I think it ties back to the fact that they refuse to put any stages besides jungles and 8-bit girders for the series in.

Mines! Factories! Swamps! Wrecked Ships! Thorn mazes! Evergreen forests! Docks over lakes! Volcanos! (Oh, wait, that would detract from the manditory Metroid level.) There are all kinds of options they're adamantly refusing to utilize!
Thankfully we have the stage customization mode to make them even if they aren't high quality as we'd like them to be. I've already made a Gangplank Galleon ship and DK Island vs K. Rool's mechanical fortress from DK64.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Thankfully we have the stage customization mode to make them even if they aren't high quality as we'd like them to be. I've already made a Gangplank Galleon ship and DK Island vs K. Rool's mechanical fortress from DK64.
The stage builder is still too barebones for me to wok with. Maybe it's OCD, but I simply cannot get behind such bare looking stages that are supposed to be locales from a game.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If there were any tracks I'd swap out, I'd immediately turn to Pompy the Presumptuous's boss theme (original - it doesn't need a remix) for Jazz Style Jungle Theme (my least favourite version of the theme). Yeah, I know I broke the criteria a little bit, but I hope they'd include it as a DLC song.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If we're going to get non-DK Island Swing songs in the game, we're going to have to get non-jungle stages first. It's probably some double standard to the tune of "this song doesn't 'fit' on Jungle Hijinxs" that's led to DK's SSB4 song list being what it is.

Like, a factory song playing in a jungle environment is just "wrong," despite the existence of such fitting musical choices as Japanese pop songs playing in a wild Pikmin environment.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If we're going to get non-DK Island Swing songs in the game, we're going to have to get non-jungle stages first. It's probably some double standard to the tune of "this song doesn't 'fit' on Jungle Hijinxs" that's led to DK's SSB4 song list being what it is.

Like, a factory song playing in a jungle environment is just "wrong," despite the existence of such fitting musical choices as Japanese pop songs playing in a wild Pikmin environment.
Fear Factory would be fine in 75m, though.

But yeah, a K. Rool stage, really any K. Rool stage, would fit Fear Factory just fine. Flying Kroc would probably be one of the better bets, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
On the subject of stages, here's an image to contrast how DKC fans and the Smash team view the series' level diversity. I think it's relatively accurate for the most part.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
On the subject of stages, here's an image to contrast how DKC fans and the Smash team view the series' level diversity. I think it's relatively accurate for the most part.

I agree so much here. If Retro was in charge of making Smash, we'd probably get stages shown on the left in that image no doubt about it.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style
Gear Getaway

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Mole Patrol
Mangrove Cove
Swinger Flinger

New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style Flight of Zinger (DKC: 2)
Jungle Level Tribal Style Fungi Forest (Day) (DK: 64)
Gear Getaway
DK Rap (missed a spot) King K. Rool Medley (DKC-3)

Originals:
Donkey Kong Country Returns Homecoming Hijinx (DKC: Tropical Freeze)
Jungle Hijinxs Smokey Silhoutte (DKC: Returns)
Mole Patrol Irate Eight (Tension) ~ Lockjaw's Saga (DKC: Tropical Freeze)
Mangrove Cover Fungi Forest (Mine Kart) (DK: 64)
Swinger Flinger Twilight Terror ~ Stickerbush Symphony (DKC: Tropical Freeze)

Honorable Mentions:
Life in the Mines (DKC)
Forest Interlude (DKC: 2)
Hot Head Bop (DKC: 2)
Army Dillo Fight (DK: 64)
Fungi Forest (Day) (DK: 64)
Hideout Helm (DK: 64)
Factory Friction (DKC: Returns)
Busted Bayou (DKC: Tropical Freeze)
Amyss Abyss (DKC: Triopical Freeze)

*I'd also like to add I wish I was much more familiar with DKC 3 songs. The atmosphere of the stage also made me not want to choose a variety of other great songs. I considerably cheated with the Medley, otherwise I'd probably not have a K. Rool theme at all without the more proper stage. S:

Worst part is, it's not just Sakurai, but Nintendo as a whole. Take a look at Other spin-off games featuring DK Level's.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
New:
Jungle Level Jazz Style Flight of Zinger (DKC: 2)
Jungle Level Tribal Style Fungi Forest (Day) (DK: 64)
Gear Getaway
DK Rap (missed a spot) King K. Rool Medley (DKC-3)

Originals:
Jungle Hijinxs
Smokey Silhoutte (DKC: Returns)
Mole Patrol Irate Eight (Tension) ~ Lockjaw's Saga (DKC: Tropical Freeze)
Mangrove Cover Fungi Forest (Mine Kart) (DK: 64)
Swinger Flinger Twilight Terror ~ Stickerbrush Symphony (DKC: Tropical Freeze)

Honorable Mentions:
Life in the Mines (DKC)
Forest Interlude (DKC: 2)
Hot Head Bop (DKC: 2)
Army Dillo Fight (DK: 64)
Fungi Forest (Day) (DK: 64)
Hideout Helm (DK: 64)
Factory Friction (DKC: Returns)
Busted Bayou (DKC: Tropical Freeze)
Amyss Abyss (DKC: Triopical Freeze)

*I'd also like to add I wish I was much more familiar with DKC 3 songs. The atmosphere of the stage also made me not want to choose a variety of other great songs. I considerably cheated with the Medley, otherwise I'd probably not have a K. Rool theme at all without the more proper stage. S:

Worst part is, it's not just Sakurai, but Nintendo as a whole. Take a look at Other spin-off games featuring DK Level's.
DK takes place in a jungle, so Nintendo thinks that's good enough

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I get the idea of wanting to have a jungle as DK's 'homestage' but seriously... All DKC stages outside of Jungle Hijinx are stages from previous games... It's real quite sad, even though I really do like Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle 64. Especially Kongo Jungle 64. The design of the stage reminds me so much of the original DKC that I just have to love it.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

Why is the guy on the left holding an Xbox 360 controller? Is this a subtle jab at Microsoft over the Rare buyout?

...I need a life.

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
Why is the guy on the left holding an Xbox 360 controller? Is this a subtle jab at Microsoft over the Rare buyout?

...I need a life.
It'll be funny if it suggests that even a non Nintendo gamer is even is capable of seeing a variety of landscapes in the DKC franchise. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not that it's incredibly on-topic, but this thread absolutely needs to check out what @Altermentality has been posting over on DK Vine. Comedic gold if I've ever seen it.

DKC-related clickbait titles:
--Kremlings hate him! This monkey collected all the bonus coins at once with one weird trick!
--A Japanese gaming giant turned over a franchise to a small British studio. What happened next was unbelievable.
--Are video games not what they used to be? Cranky Kong says the awkward truth we've all been thinking.

Also:

[COLLAPSE="Buzzfeed"]

6 times in DK64 when I just can't even.

That feel when you're too slow, always too slow. You'll never be fast enough to escape him in your dreams, your nightmares.

Seriously what is this? I can't even deal.

You say tomato, I say HOLY S*** CAN YOU NOT

Gosh Chunky, I play games to ESCAPE real life, not do the same thing I do all day! LOL!

This was TOE-tally gross! Did I accidentally type in the DKVine forum URL wrong again??

That time when DK was totally overcompensating. [/COLLAPSE]

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
>actually likes 75m
>sits in her corner liking 75m

Okay, yeah, it's a pretty naff stage for competitive play, but it has good music and it's okay in Omega Mode.

I just like the pretty scaffolding alright?

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this combining of memes is inappropriate but:

Expand Dong is love. Expand Dong is life.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Welcome to Krem Quay, such a perfect swamp
Here we have some crocs, such as Krook and Klomp
Kruncha is super buff
Kannon's balls are really tough
Krem Quay is a perfect place

There's Klinger and Kutlass
Stay away, or he'll slice your ...face
Krem Quay is, Krem Quay is
Krem Quay is a peeeeeerfect place!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Anyone else getting impatient that Nintendo hasn't even already released the DKL games here in NA on the 3-DS E-shop? they already gave it a rating a few months ago and still nothing.

Top Bottom