• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Hey, guys. I found out, that Rare was actually planning to do a Rare-All-Star-Racing-Game with some of their own characters.

If this Game would came out in the Gamecube era and Rareware would be still a part of Nintendo, could you image to see King K. Rool as a part of the roster? I mean after all, KKR was created by Rareware?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey, guys. I found out, that Rare was actually planning to do a Rare-All-Star-Racing-Game with some of their own characters.

If this Game would came out in the Gamecube era and Rareware would be still a part of Nintendo, could you imagine to see King K. Rool as a part of the roster? I mean after all, KKR was created by Rareware?
I see it happening, but I think the DK apes would get prioritized

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

If this Game would came out in the Gamecube era and Rareware would be still a part of Nintendo, could you image to see King K. Rool as a part of the roster? I mean after all, KKR was created by Rareware?
Jaw dropped...

Holy **** why did Nintendo ever sell Rare? :urg:

Almost pains me as much to see this:

What if the two games would combine? With Diddy Kong Racing's engine?

WHY RARE, WHY!? :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Jaw dropped...

Holy **** why did Nintendo ever sell Rare? :urg:

Almost pains me as much to see this:

What if the two games would combine? With Diddy Kong Racing's engine?

WHY RARE, WHY!? :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:
This is a huge misconception.

You see, here's the thing. Nintendo did not "sell" Rare. Microsoft forcefully took over Rare, and even desired to forcefully take over Nintendo. Nintendo could not afford to avoid a hostile takeover by Microsoft and keep Rare at the same time.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

You see, here's the thing. Nintendo did not "sell" Rare. Microsoft forcefully took over Rare, and even desired to forcefully take over Nintendo. Nintendo could not afford to avoid a hostile takeover by Microsoft and keep Rare at the same time.
Interesting stuff there, Jaidyn. So, you have more information about this that we would like to know? Have a link to the whole thing? Not saying I doubt you, for I am just curious.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

That's not entirely correct either. It wasn't a hostile takeover, the Stampers were selling its share in the company, 51%. Activision was going to purchase it but Microsoft came in at the last second and bought the share. Nintendo decided to sell their share as they knew Microsoft had their own console, and wanted to avoid conflict between the 2. If Activision would have ended up purchasing them, like they were going to, we would still have Rare made games on Nintendo consoles.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Nintendo had 49% ownership of Rare by 2000. By 2001, the Stamper Brothers wanted to exit the gaming industry and they sold their 51% stake in the company to Microsoft, who was their highest bidder at the time. Rather than get into a bidding war with Microsoft and Activision, Nintendo sold the remaining 49% to Microsoft and the rest is history. Ultimately I think it was a mistake on Nintendo's behalf. The GameCube had major gaps in its software release schedule due to the absence of Rare, and they still haven't fully recovered.

One would think that Nintendo's success during the Wii era would have given them enough capital to invest in new studios, but the company has been taken over by conservative Japanese businessmen who are prone to risk aversion. They need major restructuring over the next decade, or I fear for their future. The status quo is unsustainable. Their current business model revolves around a plastic toy that, based on how poorly it's being supplied, is guaranteed to be a short lived fad. I don't know how long they expect to milk their fanbase before it revolts. Their market share is already at an all-time low, and now they're taking away ad revenue from popular Youtube personalities because they want to "protect" their IP. It's like they're trying to set themselves up for failure.

/rant

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never even knew this thing about Activision..! Whoa, what would've happened if Activision actually got the 51% share? One logical assumption is them going for FPS games mainly, but what would've happened to DKC?

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
He may not be DLC but I'll be he'll be in the first Smash game without good ol' Masahiro!
(I wanted SOMEONE to say Masahiro instead of Sakurai to be different.)

Last edited:

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Btw who holds actually the rights to all the DKR-Characters like Taj, Wizpig, Timber and Co.? Nintendo or Microsoft?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Btw who holds actually the rights to all the DKR-Characters like Taj, Wizpig, Timber and Co.? Nintendo or Microsoft?
Rare, the only characters owned by Nintendo are the ones already made, Star Fox, and Donkey Kong, the rest are Rare properties. As far as I know Microsoft owns nothing besides Kameo, and Viva Piñata.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Micro$oft owns Rare, which owns all those properties, so by extension, they are owned by Micro$oft.
I meant if Rare is purchased again those two franchises will remain with Microsoft. I don't think Conker and Banjo etc. Would though

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I meant if Rare is purchased again those two franchises will remain with Microsoft. I don't think Conker and Banjo etc. Would though
I can live without Pinatas, we just need a super rich dude to buy Rare from M$ and we'll be golden.

Rare will never escape the clutches of M$... Well actually M$ let go of Bungie so you never know.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
As long as we ever get Banjo-Kazooie and Conker back then I'll be happy. Though I'd like to see some proper James Bond games again as well (looks at Goldeneye 64, ah the memories)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
As long as we ever get Banjo-Kazooie and Conker back then I'll be happy. Though I'd like to see some proper James Bond games again as well (looks at Goldeneye 64, ah the memories)
Goldeneye's old charm and classic value will never be matched and probably can't be replicated nowadays, since the rules of FPS are made, honestly.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Same here, I love the Metroid Prime games as well but with Rare, you know, that classic 64 game music by Grant Kirkhope. Also I think it was the first first person shooter made for a home console(though I could be wrong), I just know it's the first shooter I ever played growing up.

On a K. Rool/Kremling related note, here's a cool picture of Diddy and Klubba I found on DA.
diddy_and_klubba_by_brothablu-d37li2w.jpg

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Same here, I love the Metroid Prime games as well but with Rare, you know, that classic 64 game music by Grant Kirkhope. Also I think it was the first first person shooter made for a home console(though I could be wrong), I just know it's the first shooter I ever played growing up.
Wolfenstein 3D and Doom predate Goldeneye on systems like the SNES, Genesis, and PlayStation(even if they are ports). Doom 64 hilariously, plays perfectly when set to a Goldeneye style control map.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Wolfenstein 3D and Doom predate Goldeneye on systems like the SNES, Genesis, and PlayStation(even if they are ports). Doom 64 hilariously, plays perfectly when set to a Goldeneye style control map.
True, I guess all the shooters back then were great in their own way but you can't deny that Goldeneye was one of Rare's best games.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
True, I guess all the shooters back then were great in their own way but you can't deny that Goldeneye was one of Rare's best games.
The shooters were good, but among the Doom ports, the Custom PlayStation Edition and Doom 64 stand out due to their design choices, such as (ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT) new soundtracks, passwords+memory card saves(except the PS edition which lacked the latter) and changes to level layouts.

Pre-Microsoft Rare has a charm that can't be matched at all.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I never played Golden Eye, I should at some point.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Trust me, you won't be disappointed, the multiplayer mode is really fun especially.
Goldeneyes' multiplayer was an afterthought, hilariously, done without permission.

And creating the basis for FPS multiplayer for years to come.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Goldeneyes' multiplayer was an afterthought, hilariously, done without permission.

And creating the basis for FPS multiplayer for years to come.
I'm pretty sure other gamers who played it back then could tell you otherwise.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm complimenting it. Sure, the multiplayer had its flaws, but overall enjoyable.
Ah, ok then. Cool. xD

What are some snomads you'd like to see some kremlings go up against? for me I'm thinking:

Klubba vs Bashmaster
Krusha vs Viking Walrus
Klump vs Tuff Tuck
Kutlass vs Painguin Tuck

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I see no one had brought up Perfect Dark. That's my favorite FPS. Perfect Dark Zero? Not so much.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've never liked FPS, or first person games in general. Goldeneye was alright back in the day, never played PD.

Now Jet Force Gemini, that's a true hidden gem. It's sad that it's faded into obscurity, but at least Ratchet is similar...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion