• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If that's the case then why are Kremlings still around in Smash? And why was Dixie returned to Tropical Freeze?
Well I never said that it's what is 100% happening it seems like it's happening. The kremlings being in smash was honestly a big surprise to me! Well honestly, why is snake in smash? Because Kojima is buddies with Sakurai is the main reason. Sakurai seems to have quite a bit of creative freedom with Smash Bros. Even if Nintendo was looking to avoid using Kremlings they wouldn't tell him he can't use them. They're in smash sure but we may never see them in a mainstream DK game again. Dixie coming back was a pleasant surprise, she is Kong though and Nintendo dosent seem to mind the monkeys it's everythig else about the old DK games they seem to be avoiding. Especially a big scaly one with a crown.
Timber was in Diddy Kong Racing DS, which was released before this alleged negotiation, so they already owned Timber. Even if they didn't that would be a strange and most likely unprofitable investment. There wouldn't be any point spending money on buying Timber when they could just make another tiger character. It's not like he's not popular because he has no titles to his name, so the Timber title wouldn't sell the games by itself like the Mario title does.
Well DKR DS was considered a remake, Rare was allowed to make it because Microsoft has no handheld as competition. Banjo and Conker didn't appear in it because they have licensed games that are under MS copyright. When rare was bought Nintendo had rights to anything that appeared in DKC series of games, DKR isn't considered DKC it's a standalone title all the racers within were legally licensed by Nintendo because they appear in the original DKR and this game was considered a remake which grants Nintendo legal right to re use that material as it dosent fall under MS copyright. However Nintendo dosnt own any of the racers in the game aside from Diddy and Krunch. Which means that Nintendo isn't allowed to create new material using any of the Diddy Kong Racing cast because they don't own them. They are only allowed to re use existing material. So if they made DKR 2 and put the Timber character in without Rares consent they can get sued. Rare has a trademark on Timbur but never produced any material outside DKR with that character so MS probably didn't care that Nintendo used most of the cast aside from Banjo and Conker who MS owned 100%. Basically if Nintendo wants to use Timber they have to buy his copyright to produce new material. They probably didn't make a new tiger because that's risky Rare could still go after them. Why they would buy timber is anyone's guess it's a rumor so it might not even be true.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Maybe Nintendo just wants people to forget that other developers can make better platformers than they can.
Okay, this made me laugh out loud.

I remember I couldn't quite pinpoint on why Miyamoto called DKC a "mediocre" platformer at one point (he has since retracted these words, I think). I then played DKC2, and was like "Mediocre? This wipes the floor with 95% of your own Mario Platformers!"

Last edited:

Hyle "Slush" Russell

Smash Cadet
Timber was in Diddy Kong Racing DS, which was released before this alleged negotiation, so they already owned Timber. Even if they didn't that would be a strange and most likely unprofitable investment. There wouldn't be any point spending money on buying Timber when they could just make another tiger character. It's not like he's not popular because he has no titles to his name, so the Timber title wouldn't sell the games by itself like the Mario title does.
Rare developed Diddy Kong Racing DS, the last game the portable team did before Microsoft broke them up. If you look at the copyright credits, you'll see that Rare/Microsoft still owns all DKR characters except the Kongs and Krunch.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Okay, this made me laugh out loud.

I remember I couldn't quite pinpoint on why Miyamoto called DKC a "mediocre" platformer at one point (he has since retracted these words, I think). I then played DKC2, and was like "Mediocre? This wipes the floor with 95% of your own Mario Platformers!"
Miyamoto never said that, though, that was a mistranslation. Jeez...

Zynux

Smash Lord
Miyamoto never said that, though, that was a mistranslation. Jeez...
As I said before, he retracted it since he was heavily involved with the game's development and says he liked it. I found no evidence of an actual mistranslation though. Source?

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I've believed in DLC from the beginning- as you said, it is a character driven game, and we will have a couple of months between releases.

That said, adding DLC to Mario Kart is nothing like adding DLC to Smash bros. IN MK, they are a weight property and a visage, but in Smash bros they have to literally come to life to perform all sorts of actions, and then be balanced against each other character independently.

I have no idea how you think it is a dirty approach. Character development in a game of this size is extremely, extremely difficult, and DLC is the only way that it could actually work, from balancing, to ensuing we get continued release of characters to market hype at a rate to make sure the game sells on both copies.

Ultimately, it means more characters for us. So, hoorah! I think we will see Ridley, K Rool, and Mewtwo. ...

by December.
What I meant by dirty approach is saving the really popular characters for DLC.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
So I'm still kind of confused here. Is the reason we're still hoping for K. Rool because the claims that the remaining newcomers were Dixie, Ridley, Mewtwo, etc. were proven to be fake? Or are we just denying it?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It's not legit. Ninka himself has said nobody knows the remaining characters.
Oh, well why didn't anyone say so? All this time I thought it was legit. Well here comes back my faith in K. Rool.

Edit: Only 2 weeks until we are certain of our king's fate. Unless someone gets the truth out before then.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mentioned something similar to this waay back. It seems more to me like Nintendo is trying to make people forget the Rare era of DKC. Slowly removing anything from the first 4 games or alternatively making drastic changes. Tiny Kong is a perfect example she looks nothing like DK64 Tiny anymore. All the animal buddies are gone aside from Rambi and Squaks who are barely there to begin with and obviously we all see the results of no Kremlings in the main series anymore.
I honestly think it is building back up instead.
Did you notice how much more 'Classic DK ... stuff' was pressenti n Tropical Freeze than returns?
They arent just throwing it all in for nostalgia sake, they are drawing all these things out acros games.
1- its better for marketing arcross time
2- it s rewarding for gamers to get it slowly, more appreciated
3- it proves to the developer that their ideas are valuable, not just the IP

I cannot wait til DKCR3 comes out; what will it have? I'm hoping exactly that! Animal buddies, K Rool, and maybe Funky.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Yep. Same thing would happen if Sakurai revealed Ridley as a stage hazard and Mewtwo as a PokéBall summon. The fact that we haven't seen "the big guns" yet is very good news.
Imagine the chaos and riots if King K. Rool was an AT, Ridley was a stage hazard and Mewtwo was a Poke Ball all beside each other in one PotD.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh, well why didn't anyone say so? All this time I thought it was legit. Well here comes back my faith in K. Rool.

Edit: Only 2 weeks until we are certain of our king's fate. Unless someone gets the truth out before then.
Eh, pretty unlikely that we will know then.
We will know if he is in the base game then or not, I suppose. But we should have everything but official confirmation (meaning, Money, Marketing, and Masochism) going for why DLC is going to happen.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I'm pretty sure I've brought it up several times in the past. No one knows who the remaining characters are, and King K. Rool is one of the most requested characters of all. In fact, based on what I'm reading, K. Rool is THE MOST REQUESTED Nintendo newcomer. And Sakurai loves throwing around that damn Kremling trophy. The fact that K. Rool hasn't been deconfirmed in any way, shape, or form is actually a good sign for him, and there's far more going for him than Dixie.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Despite all my blind optimism for the big three and King K. Rool in general, it's hard to get through each day in anticipation of the final curtain call for Smash 4. Between a sketchy as hell embargo for a PAX event, all the "teasing" that has been done for all three of the characters, whether it be shadows meant to deceive us or a damn Kritter trophy that won't go away in PoTD's, and just the general support that the fan base gives for them, it just makes too much sense to see them all make it into the game, and perhaps I'm going to be crushed, but I'm willing to believe in the final three being the hype three as far as announcements go and them actually making it into the game.

You know if it wasn't for the Kritter trophy showing up so often I wouldn't be nearly as sure for King K. Rool as the other two. I really wouldn't, but it just kept showing up and I find it so unlikely for that to be coincidence (and if it is, what the hell Sakurai?!?). King K. Rool needs to be in Smash, and judgment day is almost upon us. Lets hope the Kutthroats end in a victorious cheer for the playability of King K. Rool!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Despite all my blind optimism for the big three and King K. Rool in general, it's hard to get through each day in anticipation of the final curtain call for Smash 4. Between a sketchy as hell embargo for a PAX event, all the "teasing" that has been done for all three of the characters, whether it be shadows meant to deceive us or a damn Kritter trophy that won't go away in PoTD's, and just the general support that the fan base gives for them, it just makes too much sense to see them all make it into the game, and perhaps I'm going to be crushed, but I'm willing to believe in the final three being the hype three as far as announcements go and them actually making it into the game.

You know if it wasn't for the Kritter trophy showing up so often I wouldn't be nearly as sure for King K. Rool as the other two. I really wouldn't, but it just kept showing up and I find it so unlikely for that to be coincidence (and if it is, what the hell Sakurai?!?). King K. Rool needs to be in Smash, and judgment day is almost upon us. Lets hope the Kutthroats end in a victorious cheer for the playability of King K. Rool!
I fully agree. If it wasn't for that damn Kritter trophy I wouldn't be so confident in K. Rool, but both that and looking back, I'm seeing that King K. Rool is apparently the third most requested character worldwide overall, with his competition being Mewtwo (#1) and Mega Man (#2)... which means that King K. Rool is the #1 most requested NINTENDO newcomer. That says a lot for his popularity. King K. Rool is the biggest Nintendo character not playable yet, as he's the main antagonist from Nintendo's fifth biggest franchise (fourth if you don't count the Wii games as a proper franchise).

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Sure change your opinions quickly, eh, @ MasterWarlord MasterWarlord ?
Oh no, I changed my opinion of the Duck Hunt Dog over the course of 2 years. It's not like people in MYM don't claim to change their opinions within a week.

And god forbid the reveal bias me in my opinion negatively, when people magically like the most hated characters in the community upon getting them revealed.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Maybe some guys at Nintendo just do not like KKR at all. And their for they do not want to use him anymore.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I honestly think it is building back up instead.
Did you notice how much more 'Classic DK ... stuff' was pressenti n Tropical Freeze than returns?
They arent just throwing it all in for nostalgia sake, they are drawing all these things out acros games.
1- its better for marketing arcross time
2- it s rewarding for gamers to get it slowly, more appreciated
3- it proves to the developer that their ideas are valuable, not just the IP

I cannot wait til DKCR3 comes out; what will it have? I'm hoping exactly that! Animal buddies, K Rool, and maybe Funky.
I can see where your coming from, I've been saying for sometime now that if DKCR gets a 3rd installment I have a hard time believing the Kremlings won't be there. If they weren't going to be, they certainly will be now, I'm sure Nintendo is seeing the support K.Rool is getting. Going off of what I've seen since Donkey Konga after Rare was bought just seems like Nintendo was going that route to me, but I'd be a fool to not recognize the Returns series slowly bringing DK back to where he was. I feel like Nintendo was a bit spurned from the bad sales of Barrel Blast on the Wii taking it as a sign that DKs cast was growing stale. Which obviously isn't the case, Barrel Blast was just a mediocre Mario Kart. Hopefully Nintendo will put K.Rool and the Kremlings back into a new mainstream DK title so they can see the positive fan reaction and DK can be where he was in the 90s again.

Funky is in Tropical Freeze already, unless you meant him being playable.

Also did anyone else notice at the end of TF, DKs gift looks to be Crystal Coconuts. I feel like that's a teaser for a 3rd game. We all know who wants dem coconuts o_O

Last edited:

Briokinho

Smash Cadet
I've been thinking lately, and i'm pretty sure now that we will be getting some form of DLC. A few months back Namco opened a few job slots for a Smash 2015. At the time, i tought it would probably be a Smash 4 Arcade Edition, but with the announcement of the N3DS and exclusive games for it, along with the statement that Capcom, Squeenix and other companies have known that for a long time, i've come to the conclusion that it MIGHT be a "new" SSB43DS, with all downloadable content and new modes like Ultra SF4. Which would also mean a new chance for the Big 3, even tough it is a low blow by Nintendo....

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Man that embargo really has me on fire... It's most likely that the final build was shown, with new bosses, ATs, characters, stages... I can't resist the thought that maybe someone, somewhere, knows first-hand if the King is definitely in or definitely out.

Screw the embargo! Please someone leak something! I need to knowwwww :sadeyes:

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
You know what's kinda funny, some younger gamers or gamers who've never played the DKC games don't know K. Rool's name but they recognize him thanks to us fans. I was on facebook once viewing some comments on ssb4's character newcomers and a few people said things like " I don't know but I really want the Croc in" or "That big Crocodile would be cool to see". Lol the King's just that awesome I suppose. XD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Timber the Tiger came back, Nintendo better use him to make a sort of Diddy Kong subfranchise with him as the secondary character or something in a sort of 3D adventure game. Kremlings returning to take over **** in Timber's Island? I'd buy a Wii U for that.
Why haven't you gotten a Wii U yet? Tropical Freeze is already out. SSB4 and Hyrule Warriors (with Impa) are coming soon.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Fixed that for you.

Regardless, I don't think the Kritter trophy showing up means anything either. Could just be a coincidence.
Why bother showing it off so much then?

I still don't understand why he'd go through the trouble of bringing back the Kritters without their badass leader.

Top Bottom