• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Zynux

Smash Lord
Yep. Same thing would happen if Sakurai revealed Ridley as a stage hazard and Mewtwo as a PokéBall summon. The fact that we haven't seen "the big guns" yet is very good news.
Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid (screw it, I know I am), but I'm starting to think they're holding them off because they are well aware that showing them off as non-playable will screw up their marketing. Having the players find out their not in when they get the game would be better for Nintendo since the consumers would have already bought their product anyway.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid (screw it, I know I am), but I'm starting to think they're holding them off because they are well aware that showing them off as non-playable will screw up their marketing. Having the players find out their not in when they get the game would be better for Nintendo since the consumers would have already bought their product anyway.
That's the scary part of all this, yeah >_<

But I don't think Sakurai would tease them unless he had something up his sleeve.

K. Rool's tease has been the most discrete, but Ridley's and Mewtwo's were pretty hardcore.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

But I don't think Sakurai would tease them unless he had something up his sleeve.

K. Rool's tease has been the most discrete, but Ridley's and Mewtwo's were pretty hardcore.
Mewtwo's was absolutely impossible to ignore.
The others are mostly defined by the absence and tangential approximations we can make in terms of characters--

but they straight up changed Greninja to make him look like Mewtwo by removing webbing, inverting him to make his proportions harder to decipher, and placing him in a setting that was a CAVE- Mewtwo's home. There is no mistake as to why the fans were screaming "MEWTWO" all across the internet.
Ultimately, all games are, in fact, consumer services, all products are.

Additionally, they showed him using a signature move which could easily be confused as Mewtwo.

In terms of trolling, yes. All discreet. Obviously if they were too direct, it would not be very good trolling. Yet, the evidence is real, regardless of what certain individual will say. It is like calling negative space nothing. It exists whether or not it is the actual presence of matter, it is the matter created in our minds by the shaping of the positive space, and further absence of visual____

Perception, sure. But marketing is all about perception, and it was an intended perception given to the masses to create and instill hope for these characters. It has been a ride because they seemed TOO OBVIOUS in the beginning, and Sakurai has done a brilliant job at convincing some that they may not get in.

Brilliant indeed. He turned the obvious characters into perceived-to-be unlikely characters.

Zynux

Smash Lord

I don't believe K. Rool (or Dixie for that matter) were teased at all. The only thing the Kremlings did was obliterate the RARE/Recency/Relevancy arguments, so indirectly it did help K. Rool slightly but I don't believe they Kremlings were teasing K. Rool directly.

Mewtwo is a bit difficult to pinpoint. There was that interview where Sakurai directly answered about him, and some still believe that the Greninja silhouette was clearly teasing at Mewtwo (I'm not sure if I agree, I'll have to rewatch it again).

Ridley is probably the character that has gotten the most teasing, but it's unknown for what the teasing is for. He's been directly teased as a Boss once at the April Direct, and with the whole thing with Metal Face it's obvious that they have no problem teasing bosses, even though it's not a good marketing strategy at all (especially after the negative reception to the Yellow Devil).

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I don't believe K. Rool (or Dixie for that matter) were teased at all. The only thing the Kremlings did was obliterate the RARE/Recency/Relevancy arguments, so indirectly it did help K. Rool slightly but I don't believe they Kremlings were teasing K. Rool directly.

Mewtwo is a bit difficult to pinpoint. There was that interview where Sakurai directly answered about him, and some still believe that the Greninja silhouette was clearly teasing at Mewtwo (I'm not sure if I agree, I'll have to rewatch it again).

Ridley is probably the character that has gotten the most teasing, but it's unknown for what the teasing is for. He's been directly teased as a Boss once at the April Direct, and with the whole thing with Metal Face it's obvious that they have no problem teasing bosses, even though it's not a good marketing strategy at all (especially after the negative reception to the Yellow Devil).
Trust me, I watched Greninja's trailer live with a few people and we were all screaming "MEWTWO IS BACK! MEWTWO IS BACK!", then Greninja slapped us in the face.

I agree with K. Rool, though. He hasn't been directly teased like the other two, but the fact that they have showed the Kremlings so many times, that trophy in particular, is a bit fishy. It's like a sign saying "Hey, we know K. Rool exists, guys!" And I must say, if we're getting a DK rep, I think K. Rool is most likely.

Ridley is undeniable. It's the most explicit teasing Sakurai has done by far.

Last edited:

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
I'm gonna keep my hope until the final day, however I've been a little sad about this lately, this is simply embarrasing for us DK diehard fans of entire life... I can't yet understand why they put Dr. Mario or Dark Pit instead K. Rool (if he isn't in the final roster), I'm a little dissapointed with Sakurai. He has done a great job with the trailers, recently with Shulk I loved it, and every other trailer, and the gameplay looks amazing, but the lack of DK content is really unfair, I simply can't forgive him for this (by now).

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Dude, it's one thing to be pessimistic, it's another to try to drag others with you. Please, if you want express your opinion, that's fine, but don't force everyone else to feel the same way.
Obviously I'm not forcing anyone if no one is being affected.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
You know, looking at King K. Rool, it's a wonder to me why he hasn't been used more often in dk spinoffs and mario sports games, he truly is a nintendo all star icon. Never mind ssb4, the King needs more spotlight! I hope he's a dlc character in the future for games like mario kart 8. And of course, the main villain again in DKCR3.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really don't know why there's so much sudden anti-DKC opposition from Nintendo all of a sudden. It's like they are purposely keeping the series lower in rank than Mario at all costs...

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I really don't know why there's so much sudden anti-DKC opposition from Nintendo all of a sudden. It's like they are purposely keeping the series lower in rank than Mario at all costs...
I mentioned something similar to this waay back. It seems more to me like Nintendo is trying to make people forget the Rare era of DKC. Slowly removing anything from the first 4 games or alternatively making drastic changes. Tiny Kong is a perfect example she looks nothing like DK64 Tiny anymore. All the animal buddies are gone aside from Rambi and Squaks who are barely there to begin with and obviously we all see the results of no Kremlings in the main series anymore.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can see why some people are getting tired of that franchise as well but being how I'm a long time fan of Mario, I will keep playing them anyway. But I miss playing my other childhood gems like I remember them, DK being one mainly and the other Banjo-Kazooie(though we all know what happened to that franchise unfortantley so that one I understand).

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Maybe Nintendo just wants people to forget that other developers can make better platformers than they can.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Maybe EAD are afraid that Retro's DKC games will overshadow their precious "New" Super Mario games as sidescrolling platformers. I like both series, but I think it's pretty unanimous that the DK platformers are much higher quality experiences.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Maybe Nintendo just wants people to forget that other developers can make better platformers than they can.
That's the worst part, there isn't anyone who can make better platformers. Yes Rare did do DKC and Banjo but Nintendo consulted and produced them. It was the same deal with DKCR Retro made it but Nintendo produced it. Infact Retro was going to use the Kremlings but the current producer said not to, to keep the game "fresh".

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
That's the worst part, there isn't anyone who can make better platformers. Yes Rare did do DKC and Banjo but Nintendo consulted and produced them. It was the same deal with DKCR Retro made it but Nintendo produced it. Infact Retro was going to use the Kremlings but the current producer said not to, to keep the game "fresh".
Implying K. Rool and the Kremlings are "stale". Unforgivable.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Maybe EAD are afraid that Retro's DKC games will overshadow their precious "New" Super Mario games as sidescrolling platformers. I like both series, but I think it's pretty unanimous that the DK platformers are much higher quality experiences.
Yeah, they have more challenging levels and it takes more than just 3 hits to defeat each boss. Not dissing the new super mario bros games though, heck I got stuck on 3 or 4 levels i nsmbu but at least get a different villain this time or add him to the mix, I think Wario and Waluigi could've at least been some good sub-bosses right before you fought Bowser.

I agree though, I love Nintendo more because of their platformers wether it's Mario, DK, Metroid, etc. Really? I did'nt know that, in that case, screw the producer of DKCR, let Retro do their own thing.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Prepare yourselves fellow DK fans for another wall of turquoise text from yours truly.

There is light at the end of the tunnel for us. This could potentially move into King K. Rool coming to Smash.

So first a brief history lesson, we all know the horrible results of the Rare buyout by the greedy monster called Microsoft. They took Banjo, Conker, and worst of all, they took the spirit of the DK franchise away from us.

It was a terrible blow that were still feeling today.....

The fate of Rare wasn't a kind one for us but it was even worse for Rare. After the buy out Rare tried to make magic on Xbox with mediocre titles like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo elements of power and *shutters* Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts......oh I threw up in my mouth a little uuuggghh. Anyway Rare wasn't doing so hot and Microsoft wasn't helping they're the ones who made Banjo 3 into N&Bs saying people don't want platformers anymore. Rare execs started leaving, all the guys who made the games we loved are gone and scattered around the industry but guess where a lot of them are now? Retro.

Rumor is Retro is making Diddy Kong Racing 2 with help from a lot of the old team. Wonder why Diddy isn't in MK8? Think about it. Apparently the idea behind DKR2 is "Nintendo's lesser known characters racing for glory". Lesser known? Maybe possibly a croc in a crown??! DKR2 is rumored to be announced 2015 which a rumor has now surfaced for Smash DLC coming in July 2015. King K. Rool 4 Sm4sh anyone?

Jazzman

Smash Cadet
That's cute, you think Nintendo is some weird secret game illumati that secretly hates outsiders.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just posted this in the Offical Character Discussion thread:
Problem is that Nintendo still refuses to do much with DKC themselves. They either just don't know how to handle the series or are far too stubborn to give what fans really want, and always try and let another developer 'give it their best shot'. Retro seems to listen to most what fans say, having included both Dixie Kong as a character and David Wise as a composer to Tropical Freeze (a game I haven't even played I'll tell you) but the series needs more than that alone. And it can do so much more! Am just dissapointed that with all the new approaches Nintendo seems to take on their excisting franchises, examples being : Pokken, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem x SMT - they are still leaving out Donkey Kong.
Rumor is Retro is making Diddy Kong Racing 2 with help from a lot of the old team. Wonder why Diddy isn't in MK8? Think about it. Apparently the idea behind DKR2 is "Nintendo's lesser known characters racing for glory". Lesser known? Maybe possibly a croc in a crown??! DKR2 is rumored to be announced 2015 which a rumor has now surfaced for Smash DLC coming in July 2015. King K. Rool 4 Sm4sh anyone?
This is quite a rumor to my liking. Yet am not too hopeful of it to happen. I'd like to speculate about the possibilties though. Diddy Kong Racing, after all introduced characters who eventually started their own series: Banjo and Conker. Tiptup also appearing in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. And Timber was once supposed to be the main character of Dinosaur Planet, which finally came to be StarFox Aventures. So there's good potential in this sort of sequel, if they plan the whole process out well.

A character I think could be good to use for a potential DKR2 is Dillon, from Dillon's Rolling Western as was also suggested. Also would be cool to see :4fox: in there, or other StarFox characters as :falco: (not too many though). And of course, additional DKC characters, the most likely one being Dixie. It could continue a sort of 'Smash Racing' trend that Mario Kart 8 tries to do with it's DLC with characters as :4link: and :4villager:. But too much of that would take focus of the fact it's supposed to be 'Diddy Kong Racing' :4diddy:. StarFox characters would be awesome though because DKR also had planes as verhiles. I definitely would want the kart / hovercraft / plane system back, if anything.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Prepare yourselves fellow DK fans for another wall of turquoise text from yours truly.

There is light at the end of the tunnel for us. This could potentially move into King K. Rool coming to Smash.

So first a brief history lesson, we all know the horrible results of the Rare buyout by the greedy monster called Microsoft. They took Banjo, Conker, and worst of all, they took the spirit of the DK franchise away from us.

The fate of Rare wasn't a kind one for us but it was even worse for Rare. After the buy out Rare tried to make magic on Xbox with mediocre titles like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kameo elements of power and *shutters* Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts......oh I threw up in my mouth a little uuuggghh. Anyway Rare wasn't doing so hot and Microsoft wasn't helping they're the ones who made Banjo 3 into N&Bs saying people don't want platformers anymore. Rare execs started leaving, all the guys who made the games we loved are gone and scattered around the industry but guess where a lot of them are now? Retro.

Didn't mean to quote myself :p please ignore

also notice Diddy dosent have an Amiibo yet and apparently this new DKR will have Amiibo support, also after further reading, apparently Nintendo met with Microsoft in 2012 to nagotiate buying the Banjo Kazooie franchise, no word on whether they got Banjo but the rumor is they bought Timber the Tiger. Anyway imagine Smash DLC King K. Rool to go with the announcement alongside his Amiibo and Diddys which are compatible when DKR2 comes out. It's just making to much sense to me.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Please no, I can't wait THAT long.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Timber the Tiger came back, Nintendo better use him to make a sort of Diddy Kong subfranchise with him as the secondary character or something in a sort of 3D adventure game. Kremlings returning to take over **** in Timber's Island? I'd buy a Wii U for that.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If Timber the Tiger came back, Nintendo better use him to make a sort of Diddy Kong subfranchise with him as the secondary character or something in a sort of 3D adventure game. Kremlings returning to take over **** in Timber's Island? I'd buy a Wii U for that.
Absolutely.

It would be phenomenal if Nintendo legitimately bought Banjo I'd probably literally cry tears of joy. Almost as much as I'd cry of K.Rool gets announced for Sm4sh

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Absolutely.

It would be phenomenal if Nintendo legitimately bought Banjo I'd probably literally cry tears of joy. Almost as much as I'd cry of K.Rool gets announced for Sm4sh
You know, problem is that I feel they could cash out as much on DKCR as they do with NSMB. If they only made HALF the amount of DKC platformers, or hell even a THIRD of the Mario games, the series would do much better.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Whoa whoa whoa WAT?! When the heck was he confirmed as an assist trophy?!

Edit: Ok, just did some research on this. So people claim they saw him at the Smash Fest? Interesting...
People I know saw him at the Smashfest, as well as random people at the Smashfest I went to.
Trust me, I watched Greninja's trailer live with a few people and we were all screaming "MEWTWO IS BACK! MEWTWO IS BACK!", then Greninja slapped us in the face with his tongue.
Fixed! :grin:

LawofDeath

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LawofDe4th
3DS FC
3480-3867-8012
I mentioned something similar to this waay back. It seems more to me like Nintendo is trying to make people forget the Rare era of DKC. Slowly removing anything from the first 4 games or alternatively making drastic changes. Tiny Kong is a perfect example she looks nothing like DK64 Tiny anymore. All the animal buddies are gone aside from Rambi and Squaks who are barely there to begin with and obviously we all see the results of no Kremlings in the main series anymore.
If that's the case then why are Kremlings still around in Smash? And why was Dixie returned to Tropical Freeze?

Balmora

Smash Rookie
Absolutely.

Knowing Sakurai, if we ever got a rep from Rare it'd probably be this...

TheSarcasticGuy

Smash Cadet
Yeah, they have more challenging levels and it takes more than just 3 hits to defeat each boss. Not dissing the new super mario bros games though, heck I got stuck on 3 or 4 levels i nsmbu but at least get a different villain this time or add him to the mix, I think Wario and Waluigi could've at least been some good sub-bosses right before you fought Bowser.
Nintendo seriously need to start using Waluigi in the main games, he's got way too much potential that's just going to waste. I don't understand why they don't put him in WarioWare either because he'd fit perfectly.

Just like King. K Rool 100% needs to be brought back to DK. They can try to replace him and the Kremlings with all the enemies they want, but none of them will ever come close. As fantastic as the new games are, they just don't feel the same without the Kroc Krew.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Now what if for retro's final Donkey kong game.We get the Kongs vs tikis vs snowmads vs K roil for Control of Dk island.Which all leads to a final boss battle and return of K roil.Now that would be a game

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
no word on whether they got Banjo but the rumor is they bought Timber the Tiger
Timber was in Diddy Kong Racing DS, which was released before this alleged negotiation, so they already owned Timber. Even if they didn't that would be a strange and most likely unprofitable investment. There wouldn't be any point spending money on buying Timber when they could just make another tiger character. It's not like he's not popular because he has no titles to his name, so the Timber title wouldn't sell the games by itself like the Mario title does.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Now what if for retro's final Donkey kong game.We get the Kongs vs tikis vs snowmads vs K roil for Control of Dk island.Which all leads to a final boss battle and return of K roil.Now that would be a game
Who the heck is K roil and how is he returning if he was never there before?

Top Bottom