• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Played an important role as the series villain up until DKCR, has a wide variety of things to pull from for a moveset, and would represent a genre nobody else does which is the pirate genre.

Other than that it's all opinion and how the individual envisions K Rool turning out in the final product.

~edit; Krazy Kremland is the best choice for a K Rool stage. We don't really have a circus themed level and the mine-cart segment can be implemented as well. Why do people want another pirate ship level when we've already had one (not including Rainbow Cruise)?
Because the pirate level is what he is most iconically known for.
I agree it wold be awesome to get some truly variant worlds, such as a circus stage. Oh how much fun that would be indeed! yet, somehow that does not seem what K Rool should be.
Though stages mean very little to me, I care about characters.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Nothing's better than a reptile with an eye tic and dissociative identity disorder!

I've been a K. Rool supporter since day one, so add one more member to THA KREMLING POWA.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I love that, if Chunky's actually in the game (and I don't think there's any reason for two unrelated people to collude to pull a con here, especially when one guy had no idea who Chunky was yet described the exact same attack), this meme is going to stick with him and boost his notoriety through the roof from here on out. Like. . .

*grabs and opens AT*

Guy: "OMG it's Chunky! I found Chunky, guys!"

D

Deleted member

Well, he does make up for his shortcomings in his satanic nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Okay guys, I really want to be a K Rool supporter, but I'm having a hard time getting behind the idea because I don't see a lot going for him in terms of likeliness. So other than the Smash Run enemies what's the big fella got going for him?
He meets pretty much all of Sakurai's criteria (especially uniqueness), would be a new heavyweight and new villain - which Smash 4 has not seen either of, he's had some appearance/mention in every Smash so far and he's the main villain of one of Nintendo's top franchises.

In terms of Smash 4, literally nothing has come out to oppose him. While that's true of a lot of characters and it's backfired on a lot of character supporters (I was in the camp who thought Nook was going to be an unlockable rep after a long time of no appearances), none have the support or notoriety that Rool has.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My guess is Sakurai didn't WANT to show off Chunky, or any DK info just yet, because he plans to announce them together in a trailer. Just my theory.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One throwaway thought, we have Yellow Devil as a boss and Elec Man, whose power can supposedly be used against him in the source material (never played), as an Assist Trophy. Could boss K. Rool and Assist Trophy Chunky, who dealt him the final blow in DK64, follow suit in a similar sort of pairing?

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
One throwaway thought, we have Yellow Devil as a boss and Elec Man, whose power can supposedly be used against him in the source material (never played), as an Assist Trophy. Could boss K. Rool and Assist Trophy Chunky, who dealt him the final blow in DK64, follow suit in a similar sort of pairing?
Thunder Beam can be used against the Yellow Devil to great effect.

I suppose it's possible, but Elec Man has always been a popular boss in the Mega Man series. It's even one of the creator's favorite.

Really, the main reason Chunky as an AT bodes well for K. Rool is because he was even more 'irrelevant'. If memory serves, his last appearance was a cameo in the GBA remake of DKC3.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What about the villain trailer?
I think a Villains Trailer is still possible, but I'm not fully sure a K. Rool reveal is guaranteed in it. Plus, DK is big enough for two reps, and with no stages, they might do a DK trailer to reveal K. Rool and Dixie, and also announce the DK stages. I'd actually rather have K. Rool announced in a DK trailer now, rather than a hypothetical Villains Trailer, to show more love for the DK franchise than just revealing K. Rool along other villains would do.

Ridley and revamped Ganondorf are perfect for a Villains Trailer, as most of those other franchises have all of the things they need for the franchise anyway. If Wolf is added to such a trailer, they could show off the 3DS Star Fox stage, but that's kinda unlikely.

EDIT: Granted, I wouldn't mind K. Rool in a Villains Trailer, either. But a DK trailer would be way better.

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
Guys, I've been following this thread for the while now but this is the first time it's ever really registered that IT'S HAPPENING.

We've gotten NO DK (or villain) info at all so far AT ALL and it's only 2 months to release.

THE BOMB IS GONNA DROP
and I can't handle it
somebody put me in a coma pls

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys, I've been following this thread for the while now but this is the first time it's ever really registered that IT'S HAPPENING.

We've gotten NO DK (or villain) info at all so far AT ALL and it's only 2 months to release.

THE BOMB IS GONNA DROP
and I can't handle it
somebody put me in a coma pls
What's happening? That K. Rool will be playable, or that he won't?

I think they're saving K. Rool and Ridley due to being really popular requests, personally. I don't necessarily know if they'd both be in the same trailer, though, K. Rool could quite likely be announced alongside Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
He meets pretty much all of Sakurai's criteria (especially uniqueness), would be a new heavyweight and new villain - which Smash 4 has not seen either of, he's had some appearance/mention in every Smash so far and he's the main villain of one of Nintendo's top franchises.

In terms of Smash 4, literally nothing has come out to oppose him. While that's true of a lot of characters and it's backfired on a lot of character supporters (I was in the camp who thought Nook was going to be an unlockable rep after a long time of no appearances), none have the support or notoriety that Rool has.
He does have something against him, which is that he didn't feature in the two most recent DK installments, so his contemporary relevance is in question. People will say that doesn't matter, but we'd all be more confident about his inclusion had he featured in Tropical Freeze.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
He does have something against him, which is that he didn't feature in the two most recent DK installments, so his contemporary relevance is in question. People will say that doesn't matter, but we'd all be more confident about his inclusion had he featured in Tropical Freeze.
I don't remember people really clamoring for Pit and Ice Climbers and they were absent for MUCH longer...

I'm not deluding myself. But I've got plenty reason to hold on to hope.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Pit and Ice Climbers were nods to retro series. In Pit's case it was also used as a marketing tool to revitalise the KI franchise. K. Rool's franchise isn't retro, he's just lost contemporary relevancy. If he gets in, it's because he's the iconic villain and he's heavily requested. But if he was in DKCR an TF we'd porbably all be 90% sure that he'd be in.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pit and Ice Climbers were nods to retro series. In Pit's case it was also used as a marketing tool to revitalise the KI franchise. K. Rool's franchise isn't retro, he's just lost contemporary relevancy. If he gets in, it's because he's the iconic villain and he's heavily requested. But if he was in DKCR an TF we'd porbably all be 90% sure that he'd be in.
DKCR or TF, that is. Although I am about 85% positive he's in, honestly. Those Kritters, y'know?

The revitalized KI franchise only happened because Pit was brought back in Brawl. He was considered for Melee, but Sakurai had no intention whatsoever of suddenly bringing back Kid Icarus when he chose to add Pit to Brawl. Those are two entirely separate decisions. In fact, Sakurai was just working on a flight-simulator game and they planned for it to be Star Fox at first. They then realized it wasn't quite close enough to Star Fox, so they made it Kid Icarus instead.

I don't remember people really clamoring for Pit and Ice Climbers and they were absent for MUCH longer...

I'm not deluding myself. But I've got plenty reason to hold on to hope.
Ice Climbers were never popular requests... but Pit WAS. Pit was a highly requested "retro" character. But the fact of the matter is that they WERE retro. K. Rool's only been absent 6 years, he's not retro in the least bit. Doesn't matter, though, he's still DK's iconic villain, and with Kremlings back I'd say its a sure thing K. Rool is going to be in the game, mostlikely playable.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Nothing's better than a reptile with an eye tic and dissociative identity disorder!

I've been a K. Rool supporter since day one, so add one more member to THA KREMLING POWA.
Really goes without saying, doesn't it?
Btw, I just realized, page 121 doesn't have One of Us. Holy crap.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Because so many people have been conditioned to think that way during their time on this site and others. Tropical Freeze would have benefitted K. Rool not because "OMG NEW GAME, SHOO-IN" but because of the bandwagon "OMG NEW GAME, SHOO-IN" would have formed behind him (double it if Sakurai had developed Tropical Freeze). Based on that, you could argue how it affects him in a roundabout sort of way, but look at all the fans he already has without a new appearance. That's really telling how highly people see the guy.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We also were not sure they would be in the game- the point I believe you were initially making is not 'A character cannot be in if they are not recent,' but rather, recency, if applicable, is another bonus.
Pit and Ice Climbers are not really a good thing to relate to King K Rool, a better nod would be to say Rosalina and Greninja, or Lucina, who are additions from Big Series who are all contemporary.

That said, it is just a small infraction on K Rools end, he has much more going for him, because ultimately there are a multitude of things that come into play, and no character has EVERY aspect going for him, K Rool just happens to be one of the characters with the most going for him on the proverbial check list.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Well, I guess that means we'll have to wait till next month for another newcomer reveal, luckily the time seems to be going by quicker. I hope we get a DK stage reveal soon though at least.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
King Krusha Rool from what I saw was near the top of the list for most requested characters in the States and in Japan. This imo gives him a higher chance than even Ridley who is really only wanted in the states and let's face with all of Sakurai's teasing it seems that the purple people eater is in. If Ridley gets in and K.Rool dosent I will sh*t a brick.....

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
King Krusha Rool from what I saw was near the top of the list for most requested characters in the States and in Japan. This imo gives him a higher chance than even Ridley who is really only wanted in the states and let's face with all of Sakurai's teasing it seems that the purple people eater is in. If Ridley gets in and K.Rool dosent I will sh*t a brick.....
I demand both but expect neither.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Thought: K. Rool might not be arbitrarily 'retro,' but much like with Pit, it's a worthwhile investment adding him in that it creates opportunities for future games. With Pit, it was Uprising. With K. Rool, it could be a third DKC with him as the villain, which would certainly spice it up for people thinking "bawww, they're just rehashing now."

Plant metaphor: adding "relevant" characters is sprinkling water onto a preexisting plant, while adding older characters is planting a new seed.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I randomly came across your profile while reading the comments and noticed that same pic of yours. Watched a few of your vids. Still think the same about this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0exThGGxxs&list=UUy4eFydq2SHpYopX1Ti5EGg
I assume you're talking about Krystal? In several of my comments in the Krystal thread I did explain at one point I thought she was likely, but I don't think so anymore. But this isn't the thread to talk about Krystal. If you want to talk about my personal opinions, make a comment on the video or send me a private message, ok?

Thought: K. Rool might not be arbitrarily 'retro,' but much like with Pit, it's a worthwhile investment adding him in that it creates opportunities for future games. With Pit, it was Uprising. With K. Rool, it could be a third DKC with him as the villain, which would certainly spice it up for people thinking "bawww, they're just rehashing now."

Plant metaphor: adding "relevant" characters is sprinkling water onto a preexisting plant, while adding older characters is planting a new seed.
I still disagree on the usage of the term "relevant." The term that should be used is "recent." K. Rool isn't recent, but he's MORE than relevant, being the main antagonist of the DK series and all. Two games without K. Rool hardly qualifies as him no longer being "relevant" and no longer being the "main antagonist." That will only happen if they continue to not use K. Rool in any future titles, which doesn't seem likely considering the fact that everyone is begging Nintendo to bring back the Kremlings.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
K. Rool seemed like a no-brainer in both Melee and Brawl. The fact that he hasn't been included by now kind of leads me to believe that Sakurai is completely disinterested in using him and, especially if the trend of omitting Kremlings from core DKC titles continues, the director won't want to use him due to reasons that he (not us) sees as good reasons.

Hope Retro listens to the fans and makes Donkey Kong Country: Return of K Rool!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
K. Rool seemed like a no-brainer in both Melee and Brawl. The fact that he hasn't been included by now kind of leads me to believe that Sakurai is completely disinterested in using him and, especially if the trend of omitting Kremlings from core DKC titles continues, the director won't want to use him due to reasons that he (not us) sees as good reasons.

Actually, no, I don't see what you're getting at. K. Rool would've NEVER gotten into Smash Bros. as a playable character before Diddy Kong. No one anticipated K. Rool being playable in previous Smash games because we were expecting to see Diddy Kong first. And the problem with Brawl, as I've mentioned countless times, is that Sakurai wanted to do a tag team with Diddy and Dixie. However, that failed, and so he only had time to finish Diddy as a playable character instead.

That's why many people highly anticipate K. Rool now. Especially due to the fact that the Kremlings weren't DK's enemies in Brawl, he was fighting Bowser's enemies. Now all of a sudden we've got Kremlings as random enemies in Smash Bros., which has never happened before without their feared leader? (Kremlings have appeared before without K. Rool, but only in limited numbers and never as random enemies.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I don't think Melee was quite his time yet. If Diddy was added in Melee, then yes, Brawl would have been the perfect time to add him.

If the Rare buyout hadn't taken place right around Melee's development, then this scenario could actually have happened.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think Melee was quite his time yet. If Diddy was added in Melee, then yes, Brawl would have been the perfect time to add him.

If the Rare buyout hadn't taken place right around Melee's development, then this scenario could actually have happened.
Actually, that's a plausible explanation. They probably didn't want to add Diddy in Melee due to the mass confusion of the Rare buyout. Either way, I fully agree on Diddy, K. Rool would've never made it in before Diddy did.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
...If the Rare buyout hadn't happened, we would probably have even Banjo & Kazooie and maybe Conker in Smash at this point.

I agree about Diddy Kong having more priority than King K. Rool. Adding K. Rool to the roster before Diddy would be like adding Bowser before Luigi.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
K.Rool imo has to be in Sm4sh in some capacity. The Kremlings being in Smash Run maybe be reaching in some people's opinions but I have a hard time believing that the Kremlings appear but K.Rool is ignored. Worst case scenario he's a stage boss, best case he's playable. Either way im expecting an appearance and the lack of a DK level announcement gives me a strong incling.

Remember the whole Kaptain K.Rool is K.Rools brother thing in the trophy descriptions? Maybe in Japan that's how they view it. So maybe we will get both playable and level boss like the Ridley theory I've seen kicked around. I mean while Retro maybe ignoring him Nintendo isn't. Retro admitted to not using the Kremlings to make the game their own. While he isn't Bowser famous is crossover games he's appeared despite the lack of DK games before the returns series.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I lost @ "Wow, you have so many split personalities..." :laugh:

Top Bottom