• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Okay guys, I really want to be a K Rool supporter, but I'm having a hard time getting behind the idea because I don't see a lot going for him in terms of likeliness. So other than the Smash Run enemies what's the big fella got going for him?
Played an important role as the series villain up until DKCR, has a wide variety of things to pull from for a moveset, and would represent a genre nobody else does which is the pirate genre.

Other than that it's all opinion and how the individual envisions K Rool turning out in the final product.

~edit; Krazy Kremland is the best choice for a K Rool stage. We don't really have a circus themed level and the mine-cart segment can be implemented as well. Why do people want another pirate ship level when we've already had one (not including Rainbow Cruise)?

Last edited:

Kickback

Smash Cadet
Okay guys, I really want to be a K Rool supporter, but I'm having a hard time getting behind the idea because I don't see a lot going for him in terms of likeliness. So other than the Smash Run enemies what's the big fella got going for him?
Why does it matter so much too you what he has going for him? you should support a charecter based on if you like the charecter ore see his/her potential as a fighter not based on how likely the charecter is at getting into the game

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Why does it matter so much too you what he has going for him? you should support a charecter based on if you like the charecter ore see his/her potential as a fighter not based on how likely the charecter is at getting into the game
True, but my personality doesn't allow me to root for the unlikely. I don't like being disappointed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Beyond personal want, I support K. Rool partially because I think he has quite a solid chance and partially because I want to help make him a visible character within the fanbase so that others grow to support him as well. Character popularity may not guarantee a character a spot, but it's an unambiguously positive quality for any character to have anyway.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm torn between Gangplank Galleon or the Flying Krock. Gangplank Galleon is far more icon and associates more with K. Rool, but I find that the Flying Krock may lend itself to be a far more visually impressive stage for HD Wii U graphics. Mechanical, industrial Airship over a dark, grim, medieval castle? Too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Here, since that wasn't the first time I referenced Starphoenix's idea, I'm going to copypaste it over from his user blog, where it was posted in August 2011. All credit goes to him for conceptualizing this fantastic idea, complete with music and everything.
Alright guys, here is my next stage concept. This one is going to be one of the zanier ones I do but hopefully it is worth it? This is a stage I forgot about until just today, I cannot believe I've overlooked it considering this was one of my original concepts. Either way, here is my koncept.

It is the Flying Krock, King K. Rool's airship itself! Which obviously tells you whom this stage belongs to.This is another one of my "tour" stages, meaning the background is going to change quite a bit. Not the stage itself. Your fight will always stay atop the Flying Krock, to the very right is a large window that allows you to see inside, but no battling actually occurs inside the ship itself. I guess King K. Rool does not want to ruin his interior? The stage's design is modeled after the Flying Krock II from Donkey Kong Country 2. So it will have more of an airship/Osprey design. The stage will be large, a little under the size of the Gray Fox.

The background of the stage focuses primarily on the massive land known as "Crocodile Isle". The air ship will buzz around this island, entering into various atmospheres and archetypes taken from Donkey Kong Country 2, bringing with them their own unique twist. You will have 6 atmospheres to the stage;
Swamp, Dark Forest, Bramble, Mine, Volcano, Honeycomb, and Amusement Park.

You will begin the match with the ship in the clouds. They will begin to clear as you notice yourself coming closer to the sea, with a menacing island in the backdrop. In this ocean the Kremling Krew occupy the many vessels in the water, you will see many of those familiar reptilian faces as you zip past the ocean towards this dark land. Once you hit land you will begin in a swamp.

It isn't a large section, as it is not meant to be. It is just the opening to the ensuing cycle. Rats, beetles, and other species of Kremling can be seen walking the piers of the swamp. Soaking in the filthiness in which they live... Don't say that too loud as I hear Klubba is never too far away... Whom you will eventually pass as you make your way forward.

Your first stop takes you through a dark forest, where menacing ghosts fill the dark, foreboding scene, A gust picks up, blowing leaves as well as the characters back.
Next you will hit a large patch of trees that will cover the screen, transitioning you into the next atmosphere. This time it will be Bramble.

The Flying Krock will make it's way through a maze of bramble. Since walls of bramble can appear above or on opposite ends of the stage whenever that wall is up knocking your opponent into it will deal damage. It won't be penetrable. Barrel Cannons will abound in this stage, which will add to part of the problem to this stage. They will operate much like they did in Melee, except get caught in the wrong one and you could sen yourself into a wall of thorns. So as the barrels scroll along with the stage, be careful how high you jump... Squawks can be seen racing against Sprint the parrot, making his cameo.
After a short period of time the bramble will begin to thin, indicating the end of the maze. Once out the screen will begin to adjust.
Now we found ourselves inside of a mine.

This one is pretty straight forward, there is no hazard to this one. The only gimmick is that this stage will have scrolling horizontal platforms that will allow each character to climb higher in the mine. Well above the ship. Outside of that it is our standard Kremling Krew fare. Although some of the orangutangs from the original DKC can be seen.
Now, the indoor sections (Mine, Volcano, Honeycomb) will always follow one another, so depending upon which follows determines the type of transition we will see. For this example we will use Volcano. Towards the end of the stage the background begins to swirl from heat.

You arrive inside the active core of Crocodile Isle itself. Steam will push hot air balloons above the ship, it is important to be on one as the ship will dip into the lava for a few seconds. Once out the balloons will float away. Even though simple science would say the metal would still be hot from the magma, but who cares? It's a video game! The famous platform croc heads will appear from the lava to look at the player, Klap Traps will be seen frittering on little isles above the pool of magma.
We reach the end of this phase as magma begins to fade and land begins to take over. Now honeycombs begin to take over the backdrop...

You have now enetered the home of King Zing himself! Believe me, you will see him. But don't fear, it is just a cameo... You will face a much stickier maze this time around. Instead of the walls damaging you you can get stuck on them, which is equally bad because if you are stuck on a wall as the stage is scrolling... Yeah. You will see both Zingers and those BuzzBee's from DKC3 in this stage, fighting in a hive war of sorts. Those small Kremlings with the giant cleavers can be seen getting stuck in the honey in the back as well.
You approach the end of the interior section. The cave becomes dark, a light begins to shine above and up you go! Once you arrive outside you are in the middle of an amusement park, Krazy Kremland!

Now your ship begins scrolling right once more, picking up a bit of speed. Along the bottom of the stage is a roller coaster with an empty cart. The cart will act as a temporary mini platform for players. It will speed up and brake along the track, hopping over holes and other things. Since it is a roller coaster the rail will be ascending and descending, sometimes allowing the cart to move closer to the top of the Flying Krock.
Eventually the ride will end and the cart will make one last quick ascension (allowing a character to hop onto the ship) before descending into the depths. With that your ship will depart for the skies. You will fly around Crocodile Isle, making way to the very pinacle so as to see K. Rool's Keep. Then the island will begin fade from view as you return to the sky and repeat the cycle once again.
Note: The background scrolls to the left as the stage scrolls to the right. The only time it changes is when entering the first atmosphere and when leaving the interior section.
There is a little bit of variety in the way the stages archetypes can appear:
Swamp > Dark Forest > Bramble > Volcano=Honeycomb=Mine > Amusement Park
The interior can proceed in either of six ways, though the last one will always have the skyward "out of interior" transition effect.
Stage Example:
-Tracks-
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Crocodile Cacophony
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Disco Train
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Toxic Tower
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Mining Melancholy
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Hot Head Bop
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Nuts N' Bolts
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Rockface Rumble
Donkey Kong 64 - Mad Jack (Factory Boss)
Donkey Kong Country - King K.Rool / Ship Deck 2 (Brawl)
Donkey Kong (GB) - Showdown at the Tower
Bumping up this old stage idea from @Starphoenix way back when, which I posted in this thread last fall. If it were the choice between this and Gangplank Galleon, I'd go for this in a heartbeat, I just don't think it's in the cards.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Bumping up this old stage idea from @Starphoenix way back when, which I posted in this thread last fall. If it were the choice between this and Gangplank Galleon, I'd go for this in a heartbeat, I just don't think it's in the cards.
Unfortunately, this probably is the case, but I'd absolutely love the Flying Krock anyway. Regardless, Gangplank Galleon or Flying Krock, either one would be awesome additions.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's unfortunate. It's always the craziest and most interesting stage ideas that never really have much of a chance to become a reality.

I'm sure that if K. Rool does get in, a fun homestage with some great music will come along with him.

Although, I do hope the collection of DK stages as a whole aren't as chocked-full of chaotic and deadly hazards as the ones from Brawl are.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It's unfortunate. It's always the craziest and most interesting stage ideas that never really have much of a chance to become a reality.

I'm sure that if K. Rool does get in, a fun homestage with some great music will come along with him.

Although, I do hope the DK stages as a whole aren't as chocked-full of chaotic and deadly hazards as the ones from Brawl are.
It could be the kraziest krap ever, but as long it's not a generic jungle, I'm fine with it.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason I have faith in K. Rool is because unlike Ridley, Rool doesn't have a lot going against him. There hasn't been anything hinting at his inclusion as a boss or assist trophy or whatever. We know that Kremlings are in Smash Run, so I think King K. Rool still has a very good chance of getting in.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
A cinematic of K. Rool riding into battle atop Ridley for a Villains trailer reveal and they are both announced...

Judge Doom has a thought for how it would look.

(Was going to post here a link of Judge Doom saying "My God, It would be Beautiful" not enough posts though yet.)

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
A cinematic of K. Rool riding into battle atop Ridley for a Villains trailer reveal and they are both announced...
That would probably be one of the most glorious thing anyone has ever seen.

(On a side note, I'd like to become "one of you")

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Played an important role as the series villain up until DKCR, has a wide variety of things to pull from for a moveset, and would represent a genre nobody else does which is the pirate genre.
I guess Ridley also represents it in a fashion, what with being a space pirate and all. He just has trouble with dressing up appropriately as one.

Also, ah support yer causes, let me join yer crew!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Note that if K. Rool gets in, his moveset will most likely be duller than what we'd like. Most characters have generic body attacks in place of a potential move taken from their games. His moveset will probably have 2-3 game references plus a game reference in his final smash, then the rest will be improvised body attacks.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Note that if K. Rool gets in, his moveset will most likely be duller than what we'd like. Most characters have generic body attacks in place of a potential move taken from their games. His moveset will probably have 2-3 game references plus a game reference in his final smash, then the rest will be improvised body attacks.
You're probably right. Just don't bring that up quite yet, we're still holding onto some shred of hope.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
actualy most of the newcomers In SSB4 are pretty faithful to the games, all of Megaman's specials reference robot master attacks, Pacman's reference his history, Villager is villager, Rosalina references the galaxy games, but is admittedly a pretty clean slate, oh and don't forget all of Palentua's moves from kid Icarus uprising

I imagine Sakurai would do K.Rool's history justice, he's both a fan and tends to be thorough

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Didn't Sakurai once say he wasn't a fan of the DK series?

Still, they just miss out on a lot of opportunities. Take Diddy for example. His sideb could've been the chimpy charge, and his downb could've been the orange grenades from DK64. These are obvious ideas that maintain similar mechanics to what was actually put it in the Brawl, whilst staying true to the games. Furthermore, they could've used his guitar, idle juggling animation and ghettoblaster for taunts and victory poses but they didn't.

Instead, they make Diddy more flexible and give him more range on some of his attacks. This doesn't fit with his character at all, nor his fighting style as an agile and tricky monkey. They don't really optimise the amount of cool references they could do. I doubt K. Rool will use more than two gadgets in the entirety of his animation set, although he might possibly get a third in his final smash.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
You think they will reveal a character?!

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
True, but my personality doesn't allow me to root for the unlikely. I don't like being disappointed.
Top 10 Reasons to Support K. Rool (Hail to the King baby)
1. Kremlings in Smash Run
2. No new DK character (Dixie is the only other rep with a shot)
3. No new DK stage
4. One of the most requested characters in Brawl and Smash by eastern and western audiences
5. Sakurais Criteria "Make people want to play the game"
6. K. Rool has been in 10+ games including an appearance since Brawl (sluggers)
7. The Boxing Ring stage. I personally believe the rafters being able to be knocked down is a reference to dk64
8. We need more villains
9. Moveset potential, ask ANY fan of K. Rool and I bet they could imagine a unique moveset for him easily
10. With bowser standing more upright, we need a big clunky heavy character

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Top 10 Reasons to Support K. Rool (Hail to the King baby)
1. Kremlings in Smash Run
2. No new DK character (Dixie is the only other rep with a shot)
3. No new DK stage
4. One of the most requested characters in Brawl and Smash by eastern and western audiences
5. Sakurais Criteria "Make people want to play the game"
6. K. Rool has been in 10+ games including an appearance since Brawl (sluggers)
7. The Boxing Ring stage. I personally believe the rafters being able to be knocked down is a reference to dk64
8. We need more villains
9. Moveset potential, ask ANY fan of K. Rool and I bet they could imagine a unique moveset for him easily
10. With bowser standing more upright, we need a big clunky heavy character
Valid points indeed. I could see him happening. Especially after that vast increase in FE reps.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
From how they described the rest of the day, it didn't sound (to me, at least) like they'd be revealing anything new. Is this stream only today, or is it throughout the weekend?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
From how they described the rest of the day, it didn't sound (to me, at least) like they'd be revealing anything new. Is this stream only today, or is it throughout the weekend?
Pretty sure its just today, and I don't know why people got their hopes for for a reveal anyway. The next reveal will probably be the first week of August.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, at most I'd expect a veteran if anything, not a newcomer like K. Rool.

Not going to get my hopes up either, but we'll see what happens. :p

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
That train KO though

The Flying Brick

Smash Apprentice
I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but if there's a veteran reveal, I hope it'll be Wario. I just picked up Brawl again, and noticed just how enjoyable of a character he is! Definitely gonna be using him in Sm4sh if he's in, unless K. Rool's in. In that case, insta-main :p In all honesty though, I'll just play him for a while, see if he feels right for me, which, given my affinity for heavy hitters *cough*Dedede*cough* is very likely.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As long as K. Rool's Final Smash has him rapping, I'll be satisfied. :p

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I wasn't really expecting anything, but I was hoping we would see Chunky. At least heavyweights like Bowser are good now.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Which would make it all the more awesome if K. Rool makes it.
That is all I was thinking the entire time. How much better these big guys with super armor are.

K Rool's Finest hour!

Top Bottom