• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is SBB ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
You know it's not really even about "high expectations" but rather just being a bad and lazy developer IMO. When you consider the amount of delays this tittle has had, is it really so out of line to expect 50 or so characters or to expect a good online mode. Not to mention Sak isn't even aware of his own product or what's best for the series. The guys removed the universal sub systems without even considering the competitive scene, and his way of making it up to the fans is with a dull story mode and gimmicky Final smashes. Oh and lets not forget midis tracks...what the hell happen to fully orchestrated tracks.
Oh no! S0CRAT3S used Counter again!

-NO. Your expectations are near impossible to reach in a game today, much less in the time the developers had...

Bad and lazy developer? Do you know how hard it is to make a good game? Especially one with This amount of content?!

Yes, it is out of line to expect 50 characters...You obviously don't know how difficult it is to create a little thing called "balance," something that gets harder and harder to obtain when the number of characters increases...It also takes an excruciatingly painful amount of time, effort and skill to make working character models...

Online mode is fine...In Melee there was none, and you can even send videos/stages/pictures to fellow Brawlers...And headsets really aren't needed in Smash--in games with 3D movement, large maps, and teamwork demanding gameplay, I can understand, but in Brawl? Virtually no need for one...

He isn't aware of his own production? Have you read his interview with Iwata? Do you read the Dojo, which is updated by him? I really can't think of anyone else that could've made a Smash REMOTELY as good...

Dull story mode? Have you played it? It's a goddess' step up from Adventure Mode, cinematics are beautiful, fun to watch, and epic, and the gameplay is what you'd expect from HAL, the creators of the Kirby series (a side-scroller whose tactics focus more on avoiding attacks than figuring out an opponent's weakness)...

Final Smashes? Gimmicky? Please explain...

MIDI sounds perfectly fine to me, and some of the tracks are orchestrated (Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 is a prime example)...And I really can't complain about Brawl's staggering track, which has 314 songs total, where the record prior to this feat didn't even break 100...Orchestrate WarioWare? Please...

tddavis

Smash Cadet
Why do people keep saying lucas is a clone all his air moves are completely different; His psi magnet, thunder, and fire all works different as well. the only thing ness and lucas have in common is the both use psi powers. I also want to hit the person every time I hear the word lazy developer, I work tons of overtime. The game studios work their ***** off, its a thankless job, you have a better chance of being crucified by gamers then praised. People really don't understand the amount of resources it takes to make a modern game.

Metalknux

Smash Ace
You know it's not really even about "high expectations" but rather just being a bad and lazy developer IMO. When you consider the amount of delays this tittle has had, is it really so out of line to expect 50 or so characters or to expect a good online mode. Not to mention Sak isn't even aware of his own product or what's best for the series. The guys removed the universal sub systems without even considering the competitive scene, and his way of making it up to the fans is with a dull story mode and gimmicky Final smashes. Oh and lets not forget midis tracks...what the hell happen to fully orchestrated tracks.
Now you're saying he's lazy? Read up on some of the speeches he has given recently, and some of the interviews on him. You have no idea how freakin' hard making this game has been for him. Have you played the story mode? No, so you can't say it's dull. Also, final smashes and a story mode aren't the only things that have been added.

He doesn't know what's best for the series? And you do? According to you, he should just add 30+ characters and some new stages, then hand out that half-***** piece of **** to the retailers. Believe it or not, some people have gotten bored with Melee. Brawl is a breath of fresh air. A new physics engine, new mechanics for old characters, tons of new gameplay elements, and loads of game modes.

And don't try to blame him for the online. Sure, leaderboards are great and all, but there's always someone at the bottom. How do you think that guy feels? That's Sakurai's logic. The lack of voice chat has nothing to do with Sakurai. He originally intended for voice and text chat, but because of Nintendo's rules with online communication, etc. he was unable to go through with it.

I don't even know why you're bringing up this 'no competitive' thing, because apparently you haven't read the stickies. New Brawl advanced techniques are being found everyday. Just because Brawl's competitive scene isn't just like Melee's doesn't mean it's not competitive.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I must respect it, but you're just insulting the developers when you have no idea what the entire story is.

Btw, Sonic wasn't added in Brawl until 2007, which could very well be the reason for the delays. Balancing, fixing glitches, and putting him into the story mode took time.

Shark X

Smash Lord
...And headsets really aren't needed in Smash--in games with 3D movement, large maps, and teamwork demanding gameplay, I can understand, but in Brawl? Virtually no need for one...
No see thats where your wrong. Headsets may be used for stratagy in some games, but in others, like Brawl...stratagy can still be used for Team Battles, yeah, but what I'm really getting at is, I like to chat with my friends during fights. Very very rarely am I around friends IRL to play with them. For example, my cousin for some reason doesn't drive yet, despite being 18, so he has to depend on his parents to bring him once a week. So I could only play Melee with him once a week. Brawl, I could play with him everyday, but whats the point without headsets? I may as well play against the computer. I can't talk to him, I can't say 'Whoa, did you see that?' You can't use the 'Call him up after every battle' excuse, because he has a short attention span, so I would have trouble reminding him of that 'whoa did you see that' moment. Headsets were greatly needed for online Brawl, otherwise you may as well play Computer opponents, or Random People, which is basically tougher (or stupider) CPU's anyway.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
No see thats where your wrong. Headsets may be used for stratagy in some games, but in others, like Brawl...stratagy can still be used for Team Battles, yeah, but what I'm really getting at is, I like to chat with my friends during fights. Very very rarely am I around friends IRL to play with them. For example, my cousin for some reason doesn't drive yet, despite being 18, so he has to depend on his parents to bring him once a week. So I could only play Melee with him once a week. Brawl, I could play with him everyday, but whats the point without headsets? I may as well play against the computer. I can't talk to him, I can't say 'Whoa, did you see that?' You can't use the 'Call him up after every battle' excuse, because he has a short attention span, so I would have trouble reminding him of that 'whoa did you see that' moment. Headsets were greatly needed for online Brawl, otherwise you may as well play Computer opponents, or Random People, which is basically tougher (or stupider) CPU's anyway.
The problem with the headset arugment is it is not the Software developers job to come up with the Hardware devices to make Voice Chat possible. That is Nintendo's call to make, Sakuari's team has little control over that situaion.

I don't even see how that's a logicial issue to compliant about, it has nothing to do with Brawl's development or gameplay simply Nintendo's operation.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
S0CRAT3S used Counter!
Small character roster?! Melee had a 25 character roster, and there were 6 absolute clones (the only real difference is their appearance)
If you really think Brawl will "fail," even to the slightest degree, than you are truly ignorant...
ManLi used laugh!

If people didn't take the time to know melee and play it and enjoy its richness, I cannot see how they feel so comfortable praising a game they haven't played which is the successor of the primer mentioned.

I'm sensing a lot of players who couldn't be successful in Melee are salivating at the feet of Sakurai for giving them a game they might possibly be good/stand a chance at.

Yes, I realize the above statement is pretty biased and potentially hurtful. I'm sorry. =/

edit:// I give up. Brawl boards scare me =P .

True Fool

Smash Ace
Oh my god, stop feeding the troll. If it's so f*cking obvious to you all that he's a troll, you'd know better than to keep posting in here to give him attention.

Ellio 2 b

Smash Apprentice
We have had our share of complaints with SBB that we eventually overlooked and decided to acept. It seemed the game was gearing up to be quite a impressive piece of work, but after reading the recent interview with Sak on 1up.com I must say the game is a far cry from what fans has intially hoped for. I don't want to seem over dramatic but does anyone else get the feeling brawl will not deliver on the same level melee did?

WORDS OF EVIL!!!!!

10landmasters

king_neeso

Smash Apprentice
wow...i read the whole thread and embrio said the same crap all over. this sucks because it sucks and im too ignorant to listen to other people and ha take this all clones no techiques. you are a ****. i kno im adding to the list of nothing but i deserve to put my 5 cents in after reading all that. oh and high five for the person who made the facepalm ridley made me crack up laughin

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Err,your on a cpu right? If its not next to your Wii,you might wanna concider moving it,or getting a laptop + internet to sit next to you.Then get a program called "Ventrillo" or other voice chat programs,invite friends with headsets only,and carry on.As for me,Iam gald I cant be harassed for having a #@!#$@# different opinion live on a open mic.Cuz see? Since Nintendo policy doesnt want that sorta bull especially in a online enviroment,people have options to connect like that on there own terms.And what better way in doing that then connectiing with someone you know,or just meet for that matter?

Shark X

Smash Lord
Err,your on a cpu right? If its not next to your Wii,you might wanna concider moving it,or getting a laptop + internet to sit next to you.Then get a program called "Ventrillo" or other voice chat programs,invite friends with headsets only,and carry on.As for me,Iam gald I cant be harassed for having a #@!#$@# different opinion live on a open mic.Cuz see? Since Nintendo policy doesnt want that sorta bull especially in a online enviroment,people have options to connect like that on there own terms.And what better way in doing that then connectiing with someone you know,or just meet for that matter?
None of my other friends can do any of that. My cousin has no job, therefore no money. One of my friends can do that, being a managar at a Gamestop and all, but he's about the only one of us who can.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yup no Voice chat can be a Good thing. I dunno why but most people never been on Xbox Live? Or seen Vids of Xbox live games? Srly some of them won't stop talking and keep on using **** every 5 seconds. Really annoying. But then there are times when you want to say Owned and no one can't hear you :(. But ohh well at least you can't be called a hacker verbally. Srly I play a game where every time a guy dies they type HACKER ZOMG KICK YOUR HACKER. So really from POV No chat and no text are a good thing :laugh: But some people will say to me monday that i was talking out of my arse

True Fool

Smash Ace
Take it to a chat-board. Just because this thread is garbage doesn't mean you should go off-topic in it.

Please, stop keeping it alive.

Shark X

Smash Lord
But some people will say to me monday that i was talking out of my arse
Don't forget to wipe.

But seriously, what you just said is mostly pertaining to random people. What I have been talking about is Voice Chat with Friends. People you know. And a Mute button that hides that fact that your friend has been muted. One friend likes to destract us when playing Melee by trying to say crap to make us laugh, which because of this, he's the best player of us all when he uses Fox, though everyone else he uses tend to suck against me, no matter how much he has me laughing during gameplay. I'd like to mute him, and him only, without him knowing, and unmute him after the battle, and remute him just before battle starts. But thanks to Nintendo, it's not happening. They can do it for DS, but not the Wii, and for their biggest game in years. Thats just sad.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Don't forget to wipe.

But seriously, what you just said is mostly pertaining to random people. What I have been talking about is Voice Chat with Friends. People you know. And a Mute button that hides that fact that your friend has been muted. One friend likes to destract us when playing Melee by trying to say crap to make us laugh, which because of this, he's the best player of us all when he uses Fox, though everyone else he uses tend to suck against me, no matter how much he has me laughing during gameplay. I'd like to mute him, and him only, without him knowing, and unmute him after the battle, and remute him just before battle starts. But thanks to Nintendo, it's not happening. They can do it for DS, but not the Wii, and for their biggest game in years. Thats just sad.
Well you never know. Nintendo might release a headset in the 3rd or 4th quarter this year. Maybe at E3. But Sakurai said that this might be the first time a person was to go online and Nintendo does not want what happens over at Xbox Live. With friends or with Random people. Strong possibility somebody might say ****

Shark X

Smash Lord
Well you never know. Nintendo might release a headset in the 3rd or 4th quarter this year. Maybe at E3. But Sakurai said that this might be the first time a person was to go online and Nintendo does not want what happens over at Xbox Live. With friends or with Random people. Strong possibility somebody might say ****
I must be missing something then.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why do so many people b*tch about it being less technical than melee? In melee you were only good if you new all the tech skills, mostly involving moving and dodging. In Brawl, without wavedashing and stuff it will be actual fighting and skills, not a fancy method of sliding
OMG I love you. :laugh: lol not in a gay kind of way, but I'm sorry your post needs an award or something. Somebody give this guy the internet.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah but considering that the online mode is ****, there's no wavedashing and that the game has such a small character roster comprised by mostly clones and only 2 3rd party characters.......I just think this game will fail.
Melee had no online mode, no 3rd party characters, and a roster with less chars, and more that were direct clones. Melee sucked big time.

Oh wait...

Brawl is different, yes, but that doesn't mean smash is ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom