• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IQ 400: Tails flies onto the Battlefield! - Tails DLC Support thread

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Miles "Tails" Prower (Tails the Fox)
Tails is an anthropomorphic fox from the Sonic the Hedgehog series and is Sonic's best friend. His first appearance was in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Sega Genesis and Master System and has appeared in nearly all Sonic titles since. Tails has the ability to use his twin tails like a helicopter to fly and is a young genius that can create and utilize many gadgets. He is on par with Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik as a scientist and a strategist.

Notable Appearances (Games featured on Nintendo consoles in bold [including Virtual Console games])
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic Chaos
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic Drift
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Triple Trouble
  • Sonic Drift 2
  • Tails' Skypatrol
  • Tails Adventure
  • Sonic the Fighters
  • Sonic 3D
  • Sonic R
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
  • Sonic Shuffle
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Advance
  • Sonic Advance 2
  • Sonic Pinball Party
  • Sonic Battle
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Sonic Advance 3
  • Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Sonic Rush
  • Sonic Riders
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
  • Sonic Rivals
  • Sonic Rush Adventure
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
  • Sonic Rivals 2
  • Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (cameo and trophy)
  • Sega Superstars Tennis
  • Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
  • Sonic Unleashed
  • Sonic and the Black Knight
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
  • Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
  • Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
  • Sonic Free Riders
  • Sonic Colors
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic the Hedgehog CD (2011 re-release)
  • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
  • Sonic Jump
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Sonic Dash
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) (2013 re-release)
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (trophy)
  • Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
  • Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Tails has been featured in multiple Sonic games on Nintendo consoles since 2001 and has a strong relationship with Nintendo because of that. He is also the 3rd most popular character in the series behind Shadow the Hedgehog (an assist trophy) and Sonic himself, meaning he is probably the most likely character from the series to be chosen at this point for DLC.

Moveset and Playstyle
In the Sonic games, Tails has traditionally been a character with a fair amount of speed and good aerial mobility and is able to use various gadgets and his tails for attacking. In hand-to-hand combat, Tails is not exceptional, but can hold his own. He also has enough strength to carry at least two characters in the air for good distances (see Sonic Heroes) Some tools he can use in Smash Bros. include but are not limited to:
  • Energy Cannon from Sonic Battle
  • Mechs (Cyclone from Sonic Adventure 2)
  • Planes (the Tornado)
  • Dummy ring bombs
  • Extreme Gear (boards from Sonic Riders)
  • Magic Hand (boxing glove spring chains)
  • Big Hand from Sonic Battle (Flick attack)
User Moveset Archive
Attributes
Weight: Lightweight (Around that of Meta Knight)
Dash speed: Moderately fast (Around that of Toon Link)
Air speed: Very high (Near Yoshi/Jigglypuff)
Falling speed: High (Near Falco's)
Jump height: Same as Sonic's
Four jumps

Ground Attacks
Normal
Neutral attack: Performs two straight jabs and goes into a fury of overhand jabs with a finisher; comparable to Sonic the Fighters jab combo and Luigi's dash attack
Dash attack: Spin attack
Side tilt: Tail swipe
Up tilt: Spins his tails upwards; multi-hit
Down tilt: Downards tail swipe around his legs
Smash Attacks
Side smash: Claps forward with enlarged hands ala Sonic the Fighters
Up smash: Fires three blasts of energy in an arc above him with the Energy Cannon; like Samus' up smash
Down smash: Uses the Magic Hand boxing chain like his heavy attack in Sonic Battle

Aerial Attacks
Neutral aerial: Spins in place like Sonic
Forward aerial: Performs two tail swipes forwards
Back aerial: Powerful backwards tail swipe
Up aerial: Kicks feet upwards
Down aerial: Swings tails downwards in a meteor smash

Grabs & Throws
Grab: Tether with a white gloved hand at the end
Pummel: Hand grips character
Forward throw: Hand throws forward
Back throw: Hand throws backward and Tails blows a gust of wind behind him
Up throw: Hand throws upward
Down throw: Tails flies to the opponent and slams him/her/it down

Other
Ledge attack: Creates a small tornado around himself
100% ledge attack: Tails rotate to hit twice
Floor attack: Creates a small tornado around himself

Specials
Neutral special: Energy Ball - Shoots a ball of energy with the Energy Cannon that moves somewhat slowly
  • Custom 1: Energy Shot - Shoots a faster, smaller ball of energy; less end lag
  • Custom 2: Energy Overload - Shoots a very large sphere of energy with much less range and speed
Side special: Dummy Ring Bomb - Sends out a ring with a delayed explosion
  • Custom 1: Dummy Ring Stun - Sends out a ring that stuns
  • Custom 2: Dummy Ring Barage - Sends out a barrage of rings that explode; less range
Up special: Tails Tornado - Spins upward in a slightly damaging tornado that blows characters away slightly like Gust Cape on Mario
  • Custom 1: Helicopter - Spins tails upwards with great vertical height; non-damaging
  • Custom 2: Tempest - Very damaging tornado that gives little vertical height
Down special: Spin Dash - Cannot change direction once released
  • Custom 1: Spin Charge - Like Sonic's Spin Charge, but slower and more controllable
  • Custom 2: Spin Rush - Rams into the most nearby object or character quickly and powerfully with a Spin Attack
Final Smash: Tornado 2 - Flies around the screen with the Tornado 2 airplane and shoots all in his path

Supporters

Please discuss Tails' gameplay/movesets and chances at Smash 4 DLC below!

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Back when melee came out I really wanted Tails.
Brawl it kinda died.
Since mega man's addition i'm kinda swayed away from more sonic characters.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
we already have thread for him somewhere
The thread was locked and hasn't been posted in for over a year. I took the liberty to make a new one because I felt he had potential.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The thread was locked and hasn't been posted in for over a year. I took the liberty to make a new one because I felt he had potential.
The mods locked all the threads back a few months ago, but then reopened them when DLC was confirmed. They left Tails' thread locked along with the support threads of the other Sonic characters because we're all pretty sure that Sakurai doesn't want to add multiple representatives to third party franchises

SonicMario

Smash Master
I doubt it will happen, but it would be cool if they ever had out-of-nowhere surprise DLC characters that feel like they fit in Smash but no one expects because people thought they'd be really unlikely one way or another. Heck the title of the old Tails thread says it best, Tails is Sonic's Luigi.

I wouldn't even mind if they made Tails even designed like Sonic's Luigi where he keeps the Spin Dash and Homing Attack with somewhat different properties then Sonic's (As Tails has done both, even if the latter it was because it was in conjunction with Sonic in Sonic Heroes or something) but with a different recovery thanks to his Tails. Anything to have two iconic video game duos in Smash (Mario & Luigi. Sonic & Tails)

It's really a long shot though, and I'm happy enough with Sonic still. I think Tails might have a chance to come in next game though. Because I feel next game Nintendo will be really reaching to find ideas for exciting newcomers, and they may be desperate enough to increase the amount of Sonic characters despite the 3rd Party restrictions of Brawl and Smash 4.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
As much as I'd love Super Smash Bros. 4 & Knuckles, Tails is probably the best choice for a Sonic newcomer.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
As much as I'd love Super Smash Bros. 4 & Knuckles, Tails is probably the best choice for a Sonic newcomer.
Yeah, I would prefer Knuckles, Blaze or Silver (or Shadow if he wasn't an assist trophy), but Tails really has the only chance out of the characters in the Sonic series at the moment to make it into Smash (Eggman may have a chance, though).

Does anyone have any moveset ideas they'd be willing to share? Even if you don't think Tails will make it in, it can still be fun to theorize.

Quillion

Smash Hero
We're not going to have more than one third-party character per series, let alone company.

Tails should've been Sonic's Up-B, much like Flying Pikmin is Olimar's new Up-B.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Well this thread went by for nearly two weeks without being locked yet. Tails still has potential. I think the Sonic series in particular is special, seeing as Sonic is a veteran and the series has an array of characters and games.

While certain recent Sonic games haven't been the best, the series is still popular and Tails' inclusion would mean a lot. Tails has a ton of gameplay possibilities and I was hoping people would share a few of their ideas in this thread whether they believed he would get in or not. I am not sure myself but I at least recognize that he has a chance and I have put forth my moveset ideas and opinions.

Now let's spark some discussion Tails' moveset or playstyle. What are your thoughts?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well this thread went by for nearly two weeks without being locked yet. Tails still has potential. I think the Sonic series in particular is special, seeing as Sonic is a veteran and the series has an array of characters and games.

While certain recent Sonic games haven't been the best, the series is still popular and Tails' inclusion would mean a lot. Tails has a ton of gameplay possibilities and I was hoping people would share a few of their ideas in this thread whether they believed he would get in or not. I am not sure myself but I at least recognize that he has a chance and I have put forth my moveset ideas and opinions.

Now let's spark some discussion Tails' moveset or playstyle. What are your thoughts?
In all honesty, he really doesn't have a chance at all. It true that Sonic would be the first third party franchise to get a second rep, but it's still not going to happen.

I know it's the year of Sonic, but all Nintendo really did to play along was make the Sonic Boom 3DS theme the first theme free to download, and the new generation of Sonic to be Nintendo exclusive. The main reason it doesn't mean anything for Smash Bros is that One, it was announced when the games development was too far into progress, and two, it wasn't announced by Nintendo.

It's just flat out not happening.

SonicMario

Smash Master
the new generation of Sonic
Sonic Boom isn't really a new Generation of Sonic. We were told from almost immediately after the Sonic Boom and Show were announced. That the main series (The designs we've had since Sonic Adventure) will still be sticking around.

Good thing too, because all the ****storm about Rise of Lyric would be even worse if it truly was a reboot :V

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sonic Boom isn't really a new Generation of Sonic. We were told from almost immediately after the Sonic Boom and Show were announced. That the main series (The designs we've had since Sonic Adventure) will still be sticking around.

Good thing too, because all the ****storm about Rise of Lyric would be even worse if it truly was a reboot :V
True, but I bet half of the infamous fanbase would be thinking Sakurai would add Sonic in the next smash in his boom attire. (Which I'm not exactly confident in)

But we are getting a bit off topic, so let's just leave it at that.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
In all honesty, he really doesn't have a chance at all. It true that Sonic would be the first third party franchise to get a second rep, but it's still not going to happen.

I know it's the year of Sonic, but all Nintendo really did to play along was make the Sonic Boom 3DS theme the first theme free to download, and the new generation of Sonic to be Nintendo exclusive. The main reason it doesn't mean anything for Smash Bros is that One, it was announced when the games development was too far into progress, and two, it wasn't announced by Nintendo.

It's just flat out not happening.
That may be so but there's nothing to stop people from expressing their ideas.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I don't think we'll be receiving any DLC characters at all after Mewtwo especially with all of the stuff Sakurai said about no more balance patches and Mewtwo being the last thing he has to do to be complete with the game, but this thread is about speculation. What if Tails and other DLC characters do get in? What kind of movesets would be cool to see? It's fun to speculate and while this thread is still open and Tails still has a small possibility of getting in, we might as well have fun thinking and speculating (while staying on topic of course). It's okay to be realistic; I'm not confident in getting any additional characters for this game at all. But just let people express their ideas and share your ideas if you can think of anything as well.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't think we'll be receiving any DLC characters at all after Mewtwo especially with all of the stuff Sakurai said about no more balance patches and Mewtwo being the last thing he has to do to be complete with the game, but this thread is about speculation. What if Tails and other DLC characters do get in? What kind of movesets would be cool to see? It's fun to speculate and while this thread is still open and Tails still has a small possibility of getting in, we might as well have fun thinking and speculating (while staying on topic of course). It's okay to be realistic; I'm not confident in getting any additional characters for this game at all. But just let people express their ideas and share your ideas if you can think of anything as well.
I know I've been acting like a total jerk in this thread, but I'm just trying to be realistic. The only thing I don't doubt that could work in his favor is the possibility of Nintendo acquiring SEGA, but I don't talk about that much because personal bias that I don't want it to happen, all i really want is SEGA to find a way to go on without A. Firing way too many of their workers like they've been doing since the abomination that was Sonic 06, and B. Canceling too many projects. And with Sonic Boom being such a big flop, both exhibits I stated could get far worse.

I'll just concede defeat and move on, you kids have fun.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I know it's been 3 months since anyone has posted anything on this thread, but I couldn't resist adding my own two cents.

Tails is the character I want in Smash Bros more than anyone else right now. If there's gonna be a second character to represent the Sonic franchise, I think Tails deserves it more than anyone else. I noticed people have talked about how most sonic characters would just be clones, but Tails has enough unique abilities that he wouldn't just be a sonic clone.In fact, I've thought of a few ideas for what his moveset could look like. For either his dash attack or side special, Tails could perform his "Rapid Tails Attack" from Sonic Adventure. I see this as similar to Link's spin attack, except limited to the ground, moving forward at a decent speed, and with less knockback. For his up special, he could fly around using his tails for a few seconds, similar to Pit's up special in Brawl, but with a bit better mobility. For his down special, he could throw bombs like in Tails Adventure, but I haven't entirely figured out completely how the move would work.

As far as Sonic characters go, I think Tails has the most potential and also has the best shot at the roster. Though he probably won't get into Smash 4 for DLC, I think we could possibly be seeing Tails in Smash 5, whenever that will be.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I know it's been 3 months since anyone has posted anything on this thread, but I couldn't resist adding my own two cents.

Tails is the character I want in Smash Bros more than anyone else right now. If there's gonna be a second character to represent the Sonic franchise, I think Tails deserves it more than anyone else. I noticed people have talked about how most sonic characters would just be clones, but Tails has enough unique abilities that he wouldn't just be a sonic clone.In fact, I've thought of a few ideas for what his moveset could look like. For either his dash attack or side special, Tails could perform his "Rapid Tails Attack" from Sonic Adventure. I see this as similar to Link's spin attack, except limited to the ground, moving forward at a decent speed, and with less knockback. For his up special, he could fly around using his tails for a few seconds, similar to Pit's up special in Brawl, but with a bit better mobility. For his down special, he could throw bombs like in Tails Adventure, but I haven't entirely figured out completely how the move would work.

As far as Sonic characters go, I think Tails has the most potential and also has the best shot at the roster. Though he probably won't get into Smash 4 for DLC, I think we could possibly be seeing Tails in Smash 5, whenever that will be.
I like where you're going with the moveset, but he's not likely to get into Smash 5 either.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

Thanks for reviving this thread! I would have myself, but I decided not to since this thread got so much negativity...

I just looked up Rapid Tails Attack (I never finished Sonic Adventure) and it does look like a good dash attack option. Another way to separate him from Sonic too.

I didn't even think about Tails Adventure. Bombs and possibly other attacks from that game could be interesting moves for Tails to have in Smash.

I pretty much agree with your stance on Tails' chances. Most likely Sonic character, though not that likely for DLC. I think it's unlikely for any character to get DLC at the moment aside from Mewtwo of course. It's definitely possible though (this thread wouldn't exist if it weren't possible after all) and would be very happy to see Tails make it in as DLC in Smash 4 or in Smash 5.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
You guys do realize he is a background character on Green Hill Zone on Sm4sh 3DS so he isn't going to be DLC.
As for Smash 5, it may happen if we get more characters from existing 3rd party franchises, but the chances of that happening are iffy.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
While I think the chances of a 3rd party franchise getting a second rep are very slim (that, and Dr.Eggman is my personal choice for a 2nd Sonic character), I would be okay with Tails being included.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
.....but we do.

Smash doesn't even need third party characters in the first place. They're just guest stars.

I hate being a Sonic fan sometimes. :applejack:
But there's nothing saying I can't throw away hope, is there?

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I'm just trying to be real here, a second sonic representative will never happen. Sonic getting cut from a title is more likely.
I understand. This is really just a "It would be cool if x was in the game" scenario. Same thing could be said for all third party characters.
You know Mortal Kombat X? They recently revealed Jason Voorhees and Predator as guest characters and now people won't shut up about characters they want to see in the game, even if it is impossible. It's all just a dream, really.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I can't lie, as soon I got to the voting ballot I put in Tails.

I don't care if it's likely never going to happen. I had to :V (Though it's going to be a long time before the ballot bears fruit because the poll has to expire, Nintendo has to select from likely the highest voted if they're eligible and Nintendo's actually willing to include them)

I'd rather put in a vote for a personal want anyway, voting for someone that was snubbed as a newcomer or cut as a veteran will already be done by alot of people. Don't care how useless the vote ends up, I'd rather have an outlier vote :V

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I can't lie, as soon I got to the voting ballot I put in Tails.

I don't care if it's likely never going to happen. I had to :V (Though it's going to be a long time before the ballot bears fruit because the poll has to expire, Nintendo has to select from likely the highest voted if they're eligible and Nintendo's actually willing to include them)

I'd rather put in a vote for a personal want anyway, voting for someone that was snubbed as a newcomer or cut as a veteran will already be done by alot of people. Don't care how useless the vote ends up, I'd rather have an outlier vote :V
I voted for Tails as well. To be honest, Lucas caught me off guard a bit, because Sakurai made things sound like Mewtwo would be the only DLC character they were gonna make. Also, you never know how much one vote may impact the final results. I'm still not keeping my hopes high, but for Smash 4 DLC, they're certainly higher than they were before today.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
As much of a Tails fan I am, I'm not voting for him. A Sonic fan can only take so much dissapointment, and I'm not willing to risk anything involving a third party character from an already represented company.

SonicMario

Smash Master
As much of a Tails fan I am, I'm not voting for him. A Sonic fan can only take so much dissapointment, and I'm not willing to risk anything involving a third party character from an already represented company.
It's not about the disappointment. I'd still be perfectly fine if Tails doesn't become playable through this because there's still Sonic himself. DLC Playable characters are just cherry on top for me because I already have Sonic. Having Tails in there would be like an extra cake. It'd be great to have him personally.

But if not? Oh well, Sonic's my bread and butter for every day. I can't be dissapointed if what I'm asking for is just an extra dessert that even if the chances of having it are slim. Of which I'm already content with what's there.

Gamebox_64

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1950-9956-5176
yes! im so happy im not the only one voting for tails thought i was alone lol lets spread the word man he wpuld be so sick in smash!!!!

Top Bottom