• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IQ 400: Tails flies onto the Battlefield! - Tails DLC Support thread

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
What the heck? I haven't been following my own thread for three months...I'm so ashamed.

The wait until the end of the Smash Ballot is going to be a real nail-biter. I'm kind of nervous since Tails and the rest of the Sonic cast haven't really been making waves on the ballot in Japan with what we know from source gaming, but I'm not even close to giving up hope. The Sonic series is one of the closer and more popular 3rd party series to Nintendo and with such a cool and diverse cast of characters, I find it hard not to want more representation of the series in Smash. With Tails being one of the most prominent Sonic characters along with Knuckles and Eggman, he should at least have a decent following. His various traits and gadgets give him lots of potential for a good moveset.

At this point, my support for Tails and Knuckles is pretty much equal; I just want another Sonic character. I really hope that whoever is deciding to put the characters in Smash sees the merit of including one of these two (or both, or Eggman).
Tails is B tier in Super Smash Flash 2 and his playstyle is practically like Sonic with much more air game and gadgets. So it's not to farfetched to expect the results to be similar when he's working with the new engine for Smash 4.
Tails doesn't play much like Sonic at all in SSF2. Tails has a projectile for one thing and his Spin Dash functions very differently. Only move other than Spin Dash that is similar to Sonic's is n-air, which is still different since it's a multihit move.
Of all the characters I'd like to see in Smash that aren't in it yet, Tails is one of the few I'd probably play a ton regardless of if his play style matched how I usually play. I think it'd be awesome if the eternal sidekick often relegated to player 2 or an NPC in Sonic games got his chance to shine in Smash. A reveal trailer with "Believe in Myself" playing in the background as Tails flies in on the Tornado would be really cool. Maybe that isn't all that likely (for Smash 4 at least), but I can dream, can't I?

I also hope he's playable in the next main series Sonic game (e.g., not a Sonic Boom title). I understand why people at Sega/Sammy would want to go back to just Sonic being playable after the backlash they got for introducing so many new Sonic characters, but I feel like a Sonic Colors type game with Tails and Knuckles playable could be pretty fun.
I want another Sonic game with multiple playable characters so badly. Part of what made the Advance games so great imo. The Sonic-only games have all been fun, but it's time to bring Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Blaze, Shadow, Silver, Chaotix, etc. back into the mix (at least one of them). Sonic Lost World would have worked perfectly with Tails and others playable imo.

Last edited:

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Tails supporter here, sign me up! I got to see that legendary fight between Mario and Luigi vs Sonic and Tails. Plus I think it'd be Tails would be funny if only to see Sonic's reaction "Whoa buddy! You're in too?!?" Kind of like Palutena's trailer.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Made a supporters section in the OP! Thanks to all 20 of you! I thought that Tails would only have two by the time the first page had ended.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't know how I never posted on this thread. I would like to be added to the supporters list. I really want Tails in the game. Ever since Sonic was added in Brawl I thought Tails should be here along with him. It's unlikely but possible. :)

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how I never posted on this thread. I would like to be added to the supporters list. I really want Tails in the game. Ever since Sonic was added in Brawl I thought Tails should be here along with him. It's unlikely but possible. :)
Well, nobody thought Capcom would get another character and yet Ryu got leaked. So anything's possible as you say.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
anyone else surprised capcom got ryu to begin with? as in why wasn't it sega first since they were the first to be in the 3rd party list.

SonicMario

Smash Master
anyone else surprised capcom got ryu to begin with? as in why wasn't it sega first since they were the first to be in the 3rd party list.
Well uh we can't actually say that. Snake got in before Sonic. And Snake didn't even return so it's not like they're owed both Snake's return and one more Konami character just because they were the first 3rd Party given representation in Smash. (And given everybody's thoughts on Konami at this moment, they probably don't want Konami getting characters in. Konami hasn't been kind to it's fans lately)

Ryu got in on his own merits. Sure it surprised me that Capcom got 2 in the same game. But Ryu is quite influential on gaming and a welcome addition to Smash when you really think about it. But it's why I can be hopeful either through DLC or next Smash that the limits on 3rd Parties isn't as strict. As long as they have a good history of being on Nintendo systems and a decent sized fanbase requesting their appearence (Ex: Rayman, Bomberman, etc.). I think many 3rd Parties can be represented to further Smash's reach.

Some 3rd Parties are so popular though, they may merit more then one rep. Especially in the next Smash when on Sonic's likely return, the Sonic series would of been part of Smash for more then half of the franchise's history. Even if we don't exactly get Tails or anybody as a 2nd Sonic rep through DLC for Smash 4. There's always the chance next game they do follow-up on giving it more. Maybe even go the Kirby series route where in two games (SSB64, Melee) it was Kirby, and only Kirby but upon the 3rd game (Brawl) it blew up to 3 reps. I think plenty of people would be happy if we got both Tails and Knuckles next game. All 3 of the trio are iconic characters of gaming. Heck by the time Smash 5 rolls around, Sonic will have been on Nintendo Systems far longer then they were competitors (Heck it already is getting at that point. 1991-2001 = 10 Years of Competition. 2001-2015 = 14 years of being 3rd Party and selling Sonic games on Nintendo Systems)

While it would annoy the Nintendo-only club for 3rd Parties to be extended like that. Personally, I've always felt 3rd Parties that made it in Smash are just Nintendo's extended family. They may not be Nintendo property, but that doesn't mean they can't represent Nintendo. If anything it helps Nintendo's image to represent other companies reps amongst their big popular fighting game series. If they ever went back to Nintendo characters only, it'd only cement their already harsh reputation of not being able to attract enough 3rd Party support for their consoles in recent years.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
In terms of popularity, Tails and Knuckles are most likely
In terms of an original moveset, Tails and Silver will be most likely
In terms of iconicness, basically all 3
I support Tails more than I did when Smash 4 dlc was announced, so even if Silver doesn't make it I'd be happy with the two-tailed Fox instead

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
In terms of popularity, Tails and Knuckles are most likely
In terms of an original moveset, Tails and Silver will be most likely
In terms of iconicness, basically all 3
I support Tails more than I did when Smash 4 dlc was announced, so even if Silver doesn't make it I'd be happy with the two-tailed Fox instead
Well it's nice to see you supporting Tails and all, but how is Silver in the same iconic level as Tails or Knuckles? Especially over Eggman or even Amy? I'm not trying to sound rude, but I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Well it's nice to see you supporting Tails and all, but how is Silver in the same iconic level as Tails or Knuckles? Especially over Eggman or even Amy? I'm not trying to sound rude, but I just don't get it.
I think he's going based off of personal wishes for Silver, seeing that he put him in the original moveset category, but Eggman and Blaze have as much moveset potential as Silver and Knuckles has plenty of room for an original moveset.

That said, I'd though to see Silver in Smash too since he's my 4th favorite Sonic character after Sonic, Blaze and Shadow. It just doesn't seem right to do so right now without Tails and Knux at least.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I think he's going based off of personal wishes for Silver, seeing that he put him in the original moveset category, but Eggman and Blaze have as much moveset potential as Silver and Knuckles has plenty of room for an original moveset.

That said, I'd though to see Silver in Smash too since he's my 4th favorite Sonic character after Sonic, Blaze and Shadow. It just doesn't seem right to do so right now without Tails and Knux at least.
Right, I suppose that makes sense. I personally don't like Silver, but hey, that's not the point of this topic. No, we're here to support a certain fox that would make Fox surprised to see a fox with no pants on. :laugh:
But man, it'd be so cool to see Tails having special victory quotes if Sonic was in the match just like Robin & Lucina. Someone make him a quote he could say to Sonic if he wins a match, because I can't think of any right now, lolz.

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Someone make him a quote he could say to Sonic if he wins a match, because I can't think of any right now, lolz.
These probably aren't that great, but they are what came to mind for me:
"See you later, Sonic!" (a play off of what Sonic says when he passes Tails in Sonic Adventure)
"Hey Sonic, long time, no see, huh?" (quote from Sonic Adventure)

As for regular victory quotes, I think there's a lot to draw from if you want to recycle lines from other games. It seems like the two Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing games, the Sonic Riders series, and Sonic Battle have some good material for that stuff. Some of Tails' lines when he clears a stage/gets a good rank in the 3D main series games where he's playable probably would work in Smash too.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
While my primary vote goes to Delphox. Tails is my 2nd pick so consider me a supporter. As long as I get one of my favorite foxes in smash, I'll be happy.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
SonicMario SonicMario
actually thats what i think, they might just put tails in the next game. Im sure he would create some talk. Of course im hoping hes in this one though, just because i don't want to wait another 3-4? years for the next game to come out.
needless to say lets hope if tails is in this game hes not in his machine (unless its his final smash)

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Add me to the supporters list

I voted for him in the smash ballot and the Sonic showdown.
If any SEGA character gets in as DLC, I really want it to be Tails.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm totally going to jinx it, but 3D Sonic 2 comes out on the 3DS eShop next week. ...Seems like a perfect time for a tie-in reveal.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I just realized that the smash ballot closes on Saturday, so I threw in another vote for Tails today.

Another thing, though - seeing all the love and support for Tails on this thread has made me very happy. Tails is my favorite character from the Sonic franchise and one of my favorite video game characters of all time, and I've noticed that he gets a lot of undeserved hate from some people. It's really a pleasure getting to talk to people who love Tails as much as I do. Thanks guys, you all rock!

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I had convinced myself that with 3D Sonic the hedgehog 2, and the Game Gear and Genesis 3DS themes releasing today, that we really were going to get a Tails reveal. :(

Incredibly wishful thinking, I know, but the timing would have been perfect.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I had convinced myself that with 3D Sonic the hedgehog 2, and the Game Gear and Genesis 3DS themes releasing today, that we really were going to get a Tails reveal. :(

Incredibly wishful thinking, I know, but the timing would have been perfect.
I'm really not counting on Tails being one of the winners of the ballot. I think Tails being chosen is in itself wishful thinking at this point (And I say that as somebody who if I would add anybody in Smash 4 right now no ifs and buts about it. It'd be Tails). But it will be a hope I have for next game.

Though it is fun to imagine what kind of things they could coincide with a Tails reveal. I've said earlier that a great time to have Tails revealed would be around E3 2016 cause that would also be the 25th Anniversary of Sonic.

I don't think it will happen, but it would certainly make my day next E3 if it were.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I think Tails is in kind of a weird situation. He's definitely pretty popular and iconic, but I feel like for a long time most Smash fans thought that there was a "1 rep per third party company" policy in place in Smash. I get the impression that a lot of Tails supporters, including me, felt that because of that unwritten rule, he didn't really have much of a choice and chose to quietly support him rather than lobby hard for him.

While Ryu's reveal taught us that there was no such rule (though a one character per third party franchise one is still possible, I guess), it seems like Tails hasn't really enjoyed the consistent support that some potential ballot fighters had because a lot of people who like him were under the impression that him being in Smash just wasn't really possible. I'll admit that I'm partially to blame for that; I probably should've been a more vocal supporter of him earlier on given that he is more or less my #1 ballot pick.

I don't really care about his chances at this point, haha. He's one of my favorite video game characters, so I voted for him on the ballot.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Even if we were more vocal there are definitely characters that have much higher support. We probably also would of gotten quite a bit of flack (Part of the reason some character threads get huge number of pages is that their vocal support is so popular, detractors and/or trolls come in with arguments against the character and/or downright insults to the character and their fans.) more so then some others given any support for another Sonic character isn't exactly one of the more popular choices here. (The character poll that once ran for Project M is pretty much proof of that since Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are at the very bottom. At the very least Tails was the highest of the three, and Knuckles is said to be coming to Project M anyway but yeah)

With our little 5 page thread we only had like a few detractors show up in the first page or two. But otherwise luckily we haven't had anyone come in, post about how Rise of Lyric has sunk the franchise to the same lows of Sonic 06 (Which it really hasn't) and that Sonic is dead and/or we're autistic (Which is stupid that it's an insult on the internet to begin with, as someone in the Autistic spectrum myself, anyone using autistic as an insult are assholes) for wanting another Sonic character playable in Smash.

But yeah, Tails will always be my #1 wanted Newcomer in Smash. I'm content enough with Sonic right now, as Sonic himself was pretty much a dream inclusion prior to Brawl (Name something you'd want in Smash if there was absolutely no restrictions and your #1 pick makes it in. While Sonic definitely had good chances anyway as soon as it was revealed 3rd Parties were allowed. It still felt like a dream had come true for me when he was revealed). Tails being my favorite Sonic character would just be extra cream on the top. You could say I'm more supportive of just getting more Sonic representation in Smash. I'd love it if we eventually had Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in Smash at some point. But if there's only room for one more other then Sonic. I will always back Tails more then the others.

Chrono.

The Smash fanbase in general seems to be split on who should be the 2nd Sonic rep.

Tails, Knuckles, Eggman and Shadow are clearly the frontrunners (Tails being more "expected" than "wanted", Knuckles being the more popular one in the west, Eggman also has a big fanbase and Japan LOVES the idea of Shadow in Smash).

But I do think that if it were up to Sakurai then he'd go for Tails or Eggman.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's been months since we last seen a single trailer for Mario & Sonic at the Rio Games and I'm hungry for another reveal. While Tails and Robotnik will be instant mains, I truly wonder if the developers had learned their lesson since the last game. Based on word from mouth alone, fans seems to describe the Sochi Winter Games as the worst in the series citing the bland minigames as a reason for it (though the visuals and soundtrack were fantastic).

It's been a while since we last had a well selling Mario & Sonic title and Sega seems to be making some amends so far with the announcement of a simultaneous multiplatform release. The fact that Japan will have an arcade version of the game alone shows that they are willing to expand their market with these games instead of sticking to the usual gaming platforms. I actually want this series to continue and not suffer another downwards spiral like the Sonic Riders games.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hey guys. Made a copy of the thread here in preparation the character boards closing in at the end of the week.

Top Bottom