• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IQ 400: Tails flies onto the Battlefield! - Tails DLC Support thread

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
Just to humor myself, I've looked back at a certain Death Battle to see the many salty Luigi fans being sour over Tails' victory. You know t's sad when the Zmario fandom devolve into baseless logic and stupidity because their favorite character is realistically inferior.

"Luigi can easily stomp the entire Sonic universe and his fanbase isn't as autistic"

LOL nope! The Mario universe is arguably in a lower power tier in comparison. There are only few characters that are FtL and most of them aren't powerful enough to end the Mushroom Kingdom if they wanted to.

Sonic fans are autistic you say? Gee, then tell me why the hell does the Super Mario fandom still create terrible fanfictions and draw "original characters". Seem sort of like grasping at straws don't you think?

"This is bull****, Tails should not win since he's the weakest Sonic character in history."

Cream the Rabbit says hi! Or if we get more technical, Chao are no more threatening than a freaking Goomba.

"You know there's something wrong when a gay ten year old fox defeats a middle aged plumber who's a powerhouse."

Luigi has a high IQ level that rivals Eggman? Then I guess that makes him more than enough to handle Chaos's more weaker forms or even Emerl. And Tails at least had a few crushes in his life while Luigi practically has to put up with a girl only in spinoffs (one hated by the entire fandom).

"The Sonic universe is so weak that even the Deadly Six would be defeated by the Koopalings."

Ahahahahahahaha...no! After taking over the entire planet (Lost Hex) with an army of robots at their disposal, the Koopalings would not even light a candle to guys like Zavok or Zazz. Their more stronger attacks were the results of Kamek's magic while the Deadly Six are naturally strong and would crush them with their raw strength alone.

I can do this all day long since while the Zmario franchise is more famous, the Sonic universe pretty much outclasses everything in their universe no matter how the delisional fanboys argue. :rolleyes:
To those who say Tails is the weakest Sonic character, just show 'em Sonic Battle. Tails is arguably the best and most overpowered character in that game.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
We need Tails in Smash 4 so we can have him battle Luigi and all the other sidekicks! Those matchups would be awesome!

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
To those who say Tails is the weakest Sonic character, just show 'em Sonic Battle. Tails is arguably the best and most overpowered character in that game.
Yeah those chu 2 bombs can go kick rocks. Loved using them hated getting hit by them lol. Especially when people would equip those to Emeral and full charge them. Walking death for sure and I have no clue where people get the whole Tails is weak crap from? It is just because he doesn't have a traditional fighting like style like Knuckles has?

Sorry, If Sega get's a second rep Tails would be the one I'd hope for. Honestly we don't need a lil' Mac that can glide... That would be a nightmare to try to fight. Then again I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to exclude Knuckles from the game based on another character with the same fighting style because apparently there is no such thing as too many characters with the same fighting style. *Looks at all the sword fighters* :rolleyes: I just think Tails would be a more unique and less cliche choice.

Last edited:

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
Yeah those chu 2 bombs can go kick rocks. Loved using them hated getting hit by them lol. Especially when people would equip those to Emeral and full charge them. Walking death for sure and I have no clue where people get the whole Tails is weak crap from? It is just because he doesn't have a traditional fighting like style like Knuckles has?

Sorry, If Sega get's a second rep Tails would be the one I'd hope for. Honestly we don't need a lil' Mac that can glide... That would be a nightmare to try to fight. Then again I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to exclude Knuckles from the game based on another character with the same fighting style because apparently there is no such thing as too many characters with the same fighting style. *Looks at all the sword fighters* :rolleyes: I just think Tails would be a more unique and less cliche choice.
I totally agree, and I honestly don't even see how they would even be able to incorporate Knuckles' gliding into his moveset in the first place, unless it's similar to how Peach can float around for a little bit in the air.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tails > Knuckles

At least he's still smart instead of being another large idiot in Sonic Boom. The fact that he can't read is enough to disqualify him as a possible Sonic rep. :awesome:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Other sega franchises that could be considered beyond sonic/virtua fighter:

1) Alex Kidd: guy was the mascot before Sonic. Credit where it's due to the mega drive.
2) Toejam and Earl: only possible if ice climbers work.
3) Flicky: you don't have sonic without him.
4) G or the squeaky voiced flying mini zombie that 'killed' G in House of the Dead 2: house of the dead is one of the most popular arcade games ever and has quite the story over the years. And any of the pc's just use guns. I guess you could be G (who's playable in the first, third, and 'overkill' installments) and use an assortment of 'mutant' summons.
5) NiGHTS into Dreams: he looks iconic, he's only had two games, but he's in current sega crossover titles (as is tails) and is beloved.
6) Vyse: he went from sega to Nintendo easily, I love his game, I love his design down to the eyepatch/monocle, and he's in crossover games now. Plus the Arcadia series overall was pretty great.
7) someone from the phantasy star series: we all want phantasy star online 2 on wii u. Why not?
8) billy hatcher: does not really belong on this list. Nice design and fun game though.
9) kid chameleon: see billy hatcher
10) the prince from the Oasis series: beyond oasis is the genesis answer to 'a link to the past'. Don't believe me? Go download it on the wii virtual console. I'll see you two days later because all you've done over those two days is play that game.
11) shinobi from shinobi: shinobi.
12) streets of rage: get the roller skate kid.
yeah!!!
alex kidd>>>>other SEGA characters>>>a 2nd Sonic character
alex kidd is the best pick for a 2nd SEGA rep he is sega master system mascot wich is console mascot just like crash bandicoot (and he was SEGA mascot before sonic) and all of his games were released in the wii eshop and he had more than 8 games and appeared in alot of SEGA games also he was mario rival before sonic and he is sonic rival too he even said in a game called segaga on dreamcast "i used to fight mar*o and nin*endo in the past" he is the 2nd most important character in SEGA history.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
yeah!!!
alex kidd is the best pick for a 2nd SEGA rep he is sega master system mascot wich is console mascot just like crash bandicoot (and he was SEGA mascot before sonic) and all of his games were released in the wii eshop and he had more than 8 games and appeared in alot of SEGA games also he was mario rival before sonic and he is sonic rival too he even said in a game called segaga on dreamcast "i used to fight mar*o and nin*endo in the past" he is the 2nd most important character in SEGA history.
Sega characters I forgot/neglected:

Vectorman: Doesn't really have a lot of games, but quite iconic. Though would be confused for Sukapon. A lot.
Comix Zone guy: Doesn't belong on this list, was just a fantastic game for its time.
Oola from Space Channel 5: I think that's her name? Iconic look and character and gets into crossover games
Amigo from Samba di Amigo : I think he's also super monkey ball? He's a monkey, there are maracas. It's fun.
Chu from Chu Chu Rocket: gets a mention just because of how absolutely addictive his crack like game was.
Jet Set Radio Protagonist: Because I need them to fight Inkling. Badly.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
yeah!!!
Even if Alex Kidd is the "2nd most important character in SEGA history," he's still nowhere near as popular as the likes of Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman.

Sega characters I forgot/neglected:

Vectorman: Doesn't really have a lot of games, but quite iconic. Though would be confused for Sukapon. A lot.
Comix Zone guy: Doesn't belong on this list, was just a fantastic game for its time.
Oola from Space Channel 5: I think that's her name? Iconic look and character and gets into crossover games
Amigo from Samba di Amigo : I think he's also super monkey ball? He's a monkey, there are maracas. It's fun.
Chu from Chu Chu Rocket: gets a mention just because of how absolutely addictive his crack like game was.
Jet Set Radio Protagonist: Because I need them to fight Inkling. Badly.
You forgot Ristar and Ecco the Dolphin

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
None of those franchises can come close to how insanely popular worldwide the Sonic series is. Capcom chose Ryu instead of another Mega-Man character because both Street Fighter and Mega-Man are extremely popular franchises worldwide. Meanwhile, Sega choose to push Sonic way over most of it's other franchises, so why wouldn't they do the same here?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Even if Alex Kidd is the "2nd most important character in SEGA history," he's still nowhere near as popular as the likes of Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman.

You forgot Ristar and Ecco the Dolphin
Alex Kidd is popular but the problem is that SEGA can't make another Alex Kidd game because of sonic he is just like the mr. Game and watch of SEGA his franchise is dead they can just put him in crossover games because SEGA doesn't want their first mascot to forgotten
Also
Company mascot/console mascot>>>>>another 3rd party character from the same franchise

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
Alex Kidd is popular but the problem is that SEGA can't make another Alex Kidd game because of sonic he is just like the mr. Game and watch of SEGA his franchise is dead they can just put him in crossover games because SEGA doesn't want their first mascot to forgotten
Also
Company mascot/console mascot>>>>>another 3rd party character from the same franchise
If you don't want another Sonic character on the Smash roster, then you're probably in the wrong place, seeing as this is a support thread for Tails.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
None of those franchises can come close to how insanely popular worldwide the Sonic series is. Capcom chose Ryu instead of another Mega-Man character because both Street Fighter and Mega-Man are extremely popular franchises worldwide. Meanwhile, Sega choose to push Sonic way over most of it's other franchises, so why wouldn't they do the same here?
I also forgot Shenmue.

And cause Sakurai likes his moveset for NiGHTS more? These are smash characters, it's so odd they make sense. Snake didn't make sense as Konami's rep, but Sakurai and Kojima are buddies. Maybe he's got a buddy that worked on some other Sega titles.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tails is B tier in Super Smash Flash 2 and his playstyle is practically like Sonic with much more air game and gadgets. So it's not to farfetched to expect the results to be similar when he's working with the new engine for Smash 4.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Thought this could use a bump, and I voted for Tails.
Looking at the infamous Sonic and Tails Melee hoax gives me the feels...

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think it would be AWESOME if Tails was a Mii Gunner costume.

Making all the other major Sonic characters into Miis would also be a good way to appease the fans.
Yeah I suppose I wouldn't mind a Mii costume if it really came down to it.

Still, none of the Miis have very good recoveries (Aside from somewhat Brawler if you have that down special leap so you have basically another horizontal jump. Without a good recovery, it doesn't feel like it fits Tails much at all.)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Yeah I suppose I wouldn't mind a Mii costume if it really came down to it.

Still, none of the Miis have very good recoveries (Aside from somewhat Brawler if you have that down special leap so you have basically another horizontal jump. Without a good recovery, it doesn't feel like it fits Tails much at all.)
Yeah, that is true. As much as I would like to see Tails as his own character, I wouldn't be too upset if he ended up a Mii Fighter. The reason I picked Mii Gunner is that I think it would reflect well upon Tails's affinity for science and technology.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I think it would be AWESOME if Tails was a Mii Gunner costume.

Making all the other major Sonic characters into Miis would also be a good way to appease the fans.
A Tails mii Gunner costume.

image.jpg

Doesn't seem to make much sense, but it does seem like something I would buy.

SonicMario

Smash Master

There is this Mii if there indeed ends up being a costume. But yeah once again, none of the Miis have very good recoveries. And that's something that would be substantially needed in representing Tails cause if he were a fighter, he would have one of the best recoveries.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I don't think Sega would agree to Tails being only a costume. With Capcom getting two characters, Sega may try to get a second too, and we know they only care about the Sonic series now. Now characters like Alex Kidd or the guy from Shenmue would be perfect for Mii costumes.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
if we ever get another sonic character i'd be surprised if it wasnt Tails.
Hes not only quite a bit different from Sonic (to the point where the sonic games where he does do spin dashes it feels like they added it to avoid having to redo a ton of levels so Tails could get around without it) but hes the 2nd main face people think of in Sonic, after Sonic obviously.

He has numerous attacks throughout the games using his tails and tech, so they could easily make a unique moveset rhythm for him based on that.
Also hes bound to be a lighter fighter than Sonic both because of actual weight and he'd probably be floaty due to the tails. Multiple jump character with high-altitude gain for UpB special into a slowfall (cancellable to fall faster since freefall in a slowfall would be a deathwish lol)

Knuckles may be a close challenge for the most popular face people think of outside Sonic (or Eggman, but i think he'd be hard to put in the game accurately) but i would see him being literally a slower, stronger version of Sonic since thats basically what he is. I.e. clone material. Tails would be out of character as a clone, so he wins in my books.

If Sega pulls the "Well Capcom has two reps!" bit im not sure who'd they add besides Tails while avoiding clone material. Only other games i think of when i think of good Sega genres are totally not Smash material or would be doomed to similar playstyle of a nonsega character.
Then again ive never been a huge Sega fan so theres probably a ton of characters i never heard of lol

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
(Sigh) I can't believe I did it, but seeing as how most supporters of a second Sonic representative see me as a total prick, I voted Yes for Tails just too see if I could get away from the bombs they throw at me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If we got a second character DLC pack with a second sega rep and a namco rep.
Gotta admit these guys would make a good package.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Klonoa even looks like he belongs in a sonic series, which is kinda funny since totally different worlds/company. Wouldnt mind seeing him either, even though i never played any of his games i just find him interesting and what little i know of him sounds like good smash material.

I tend to find myself playing the underdog characters more than anyone else for some reason. Heck lately ive been using Charizard a lot so that definitely means i just want interesting characters with unique movesets, since his uniqueness is his only real power lol. Both Tails and Klonoa would be pretty unique characters, whether or not they become as powerful as Roy or Ryu is another question but long as they arent unusuable i'd enjoy using them (or they have Megaman-esc playstyle, since thats the only one i can never wrap my brains around)

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Klonoa even looks like he belongs in a sonic series, which is kinda funny since totally different worlds/company. Wouldnt mind seeing him either, even though i never played any of his games i just find him interesting and what little i know of him sounds like good smash material.

I tend to find myself playing the underdog characters more than anyone else for some reason. Heck lately ive been using Charizard a lot so that definitely means i just want interesting characters with unique movesets, since his uniqueness is his only real power lol. Both Tails and Klonoa would be pretty unique characters, whether or not they become as powerful as Roy or Ryu is another question but long as they arent unusuable i'd enjoy using them (or they have Megaman-esc playstyle, since thats the only one i can never wrap my brains around)
I like underdog characters too. My favorite characters in shows and games are often the ones who don't get a lot of attention or aren't the "hero" or whatever. I guess I relate to the sidekicks much more than to the main characters a lot of the time. That might be part of the reason why I like Tails.

So yeah, I think it'd be awesome if Tails were in Smash. Sonic & Tails are a pretty iconic duo, so I feel like he'd make a lot of sense as a third party addition. Plus, there's a lot Sakurai and co. could draw from for a moveset, whether it be stuff from the main games, Sonic the Fighters, or Sonic Battle (personally, I'd like the Chu² Bomb to be part of Tails' moveset, maybe as a side b or something).

What do you think Tails' final smash would be if he were in the game? Something involving the Tornado seems like a natural choice to me, but I'm not sure if the Super Smash Flash style "firing at stuff from a stationary position" make a lot of sense for a biplane. I could be totally off though. What do you think?

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I like underdog characters too. My favorite characters in shows and games are often the ones who don't get a lot of attention or aren't the "hero" or whatever. I guess I relate to the sidekicks much more than to the main characters a lot of the time. That might be part of the reason why I like Tails.

So yeah, I think it'd be awesome if Tails were in Smash. Sonic & Tails are a pretty iconic duo, so I feel like he'd make a lot of sense as a third party addition. Plus, there's a lot Sakurai and co. could draw from for a moveset, whether it be stuff from the main games, Sonic the Fighters, or Sonic Battle (personally, I'd like the Chu² Bomb to be part of Tails' moveset, maybe as a side b or something).

What do you think Tails' final smash would be if he were in the game? Something involving the Tornado seems like a natural choice to me, but I'm not sure if the Super Smash Flash style "firing at stuff from a stationary position" make a lot of sense for a biplane. I could be totally off though. What do you think?
Most likely his final smash would be the Tornado flyby, or enter a FPS mode after entering it. I could also see him just entering the Mecha-Tornado from Sonic Adventures 2 and do the whole "IM POWERED UP!" bit while unloading a gakton of firepower.
Personally i'd like to see a flyby of the Tornado. Yaknow, maybe 1/2 of Final Destination sized centered around Tails the Tornado just carpet bombs once or twice and flies off. Im not a fan of the powered up final smashes, they are always underwhelming or overpowered since you almost cant avoid them so they either autokill you on contact (sonic...) or close enough to it, or just...cant...seem...to....hit...you....in...TIME! (Wario) rending it useless.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe turbo tails...

Jk pretty sure that's not canon
Well, Tails has been able to turn into Super Tails in a few games, so if people want a transformation final smash there's that. I don't think Super Tails is nearly as iconic as Super Sonic though and it might be nice to have some variety.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Well we could have super tails be much less powerful than super sonic, but the flickies would be really annoying.

Last edited:

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I think it'd be cool if they used Super Tails as his final smash, but I doubt it would actually happen if Tails became a fighter. It seems like Sega only lets male hedgehogs go super now, for some reason...

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be cool if they used Super Tails as his final smash, but I doubt it would actually happen if Tails became a fighter. It seems like Sega only lets male hedgehogs go super now, for some reason...
Yeah, the last time Super Tails appeared (not counting remakes) was in Sonic Heroes, right? I was a bit disappointed that they just put him and Knuckles into "super bubbles" in that game rather than actually giving them their transformations. I think the Tornado is pretty cool though, so I'd totally be down with that being Tails' final smash.

Here's a question for you all: what gadgets (if any) would you like Tails to use if he were in Smash?

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I have always wanted Tails in Smash since I started playing Brawl. Every time a new character was announced for Sm4sh I was always like: "PLEASE BE TAILS PLEASE BE TAILS PLEASE BE TAILS PLEASE BE TAILSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!" Come on guys! Let's gain this thread more popularity and get Tails into Smash! I will totally main him if he makes it!:estatic:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Come on guys! Let's gain this thread more popularity and get Tails into Smash! I will totally main him if he makes it!:estatic:
Of all the characters I'd like to see in Smash that aren't in it yet, Tails is one of the few I'd probably play a ton regardless of if his play style matched how I usually play. I think it'd be awesome if the eternal sidekick often relegated to player 2 or an NPC in Sonic games got his chance to shine in Smash. A reveal trailer with "Believe in Myself" playing in the background as Tails flies in on the Tornado would be really cool. Maybe that isn't all that likely (for Smash 4 at least), but I can dream, can't I?

I also hope he's playable in the next main series Sonic game (e.g., not a Sonic Boom title). I understand why people at Sega/Sammy would want to go back to just Sonic being playable after the backlash they got for introducing so many new Sonic characters, but I feel like a Sonic Colors type game with Tails and Knuckles playable could be pretty fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom