• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IQ 400: Tails flies onto the Battlefield! - Tails DLC Support thread

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I can definitely see Tails getting in as DLC, especially if the Roy/Ryu leak is true, for the reasons stated by other users on this thread. Heck, I'd say he'll get in before Bayonetta or any other Non-Sonic Sega character, and we should all vote for him.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I can definitely see Tails getting in as DLC, especially if the Roy/Ryu leak is true, for the reasons stated by other users on this thread. Heck, I'd say he'll get in before Bayonetta or any other Non-Sonic Sega character, and we should all vote for him.
As I established in a previous post Bayonetta doesn't even count as a Sega rep because Sega's only role in Bayonetta 2 was an advisory role. If Bayonetta got in, she wouldn't be a Sega rep at all. Instead she'd represent Platinum Games. And I think they'd rather include Wonder Red, he seems the more popular choice from that company. (Even if Bayonetta did count as Sega though, I think she'd still has a hard time getting in for many reasons)

So considering Bayonetta is out of the question as a Sega rep, the only competition Tails has outside of his own franchise are actual non-Sonic Sega owned franchises like NiGHTS or Aiai from Super Monkey Ball which don't hold a candle in DLC chance compared to another Sonic rep.

So if Sega gets a 2nd rep through DLC in anyway, I'm 95% sure it'd be Tails (The 5% is the off chance they go for Knuckles or Dr. Eggman instead)

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yeah, as much as I've shown pessimism here, I agree that Bayonetta would get less consideration than Tails. Not because of this whole thing between SEGA and Platinum Games, but I don't think Bayonetta in Smash is gonna fly without the ESRB rating going to T.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I agree, Bayonetta is about as much of Sega's as she would be Nintendo's, since they both published (not developed) exactly one of her games. But of course she's neither and is 100% Platinum's.

If Sega were to get another character, it'd have to be Tails. Nobody in their lineup even holds a candle to Miles' recognizability and popularity. I'd be more hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't know who Tails is than who actually knows another Sega character that isn't from Sonic.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
It's awesome to see all the love and support for Tails on this thread! Tails has so much competition for Smash 4 DLC, but even if he doesn't make the cut for DLC, I feel there's at least a decent chance we could be seeing him in Smash 5. It's much further down the road, but I don't care how long I have to wait, as long as the little guy does eventually make it in.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
You know, It's actually quite funny how after that Sonic and Tails SSBM rumor, Tails actually has a chance as DLC. It's like that rumor predicted the future, and we never knew.

SonicMario

Smash Master
You know, It's actually quite funny how after that Sonic and Tails SSBM rumor, Tails actually has a chance as DLC. It's like that rumor predicted the future, and we never knew.
It hasn't predicted it yet, Tails still would have to get there.

I do kinda credit that Magazine for possibly being at least slightly influential on how Sonic got in the first place. Many guillible fans were fooled and they still remembered it, once it became possible for 3rd Parties to make it into Smash Bros. suddenly people could push for what was an infamous April Fools prank into reality.

If Rayman gets in as DLC, I'd say the Artsy Omni leak would be similar to that too.

But on-topic it would be amusing to see Tails get in too considering that. I'd want to see what EGM's reaction would be.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It hasn't predicted it yet, Tails still would have to get there.

I do kinda credit that Magazine for possibly being at least slightly influential on how Sonic got in the first place. Many guillible fans were fooled and they still remembered it, once it became possible for 3rd Parties to make it into Smash Bros. suddenly people could push for what was an infamous April Fools prank into reality.

If Rayman gets in as DLC, I'd say the Artsy Omni leak would be similar to that too.

But on-topic it would be amusing to see Tails get in too considering that. I'd want to see what EGM's reaction would be.
25 KOs on cruel melee. That was the requirement, paying 4 dollars for Tails would be easier..

SonicMario

Smash Master
25 KOs on cruel melee. That was the requirement, paying 4 dollars for Tails would be easier..
I'm not saying the unlock requirement is required. Just the character(/s) xD

But yeah, that was a ridiculous unlock requirement. I feel so bad for anyone who spent so much time actually trying that feat and even if they did somehow manage to do it. The crushing disappointment in finding out it was all for nothing.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Well didn't think it could happen but Capcom definitely has 2 reps. Sonic Team's turn. Excuse me while I actully go throw a vote in for Tails on the ballot now that I know it's possible...

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I'll support Tails to the bitter end. He's probably the most likely second Sega rep aside from Knuckles or Eggman, and now that Ryu is DLC, all main obstacles preventing his exclusion have been broken.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Okay, I'll admit things look a little bit brighter with Ryu in the game, but even still, I don't think Tails is that likely at all.
I'll have to agree with this one, especially since the likes of Knuckles the Knuckles is a more requested Sonic character in Japan and the West.

Maybe it's because they want more boxers than just Little Mac or that his inclusion would come with the corny rap song Unknown for M.E.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'll have to agree with this one, especially since the likes of Knuckles the Knuckles is a more requested Sonic character in Japan and the West.

Maybe it's because they want more boxers than just Little Mac or that his inclusion would come with the corny rap song Unknown for M.E.
From what source do you pull that Knuckles is wanted more? Because of the vocal fanbase that just believes Knuckles is the more natural fighter even though Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle proves that's complete BS?

If it weren't for the fact that Shadow's already an Assist Trophy, by this same logic Shadow would be considered the top choice for the 2nd rep given how overzealous his popularity can be.

Tails is still a popular choice overall, and I dare say the only characters that are more iconic to the franchise are Sonic himself and Dr. Eggman.

I think Tails should get first billing. Knuckles can come in the next Smash and/or if we're REALLY lucky, even later Smash 4 DLC as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
From what source do you pull that Knuckles is wanted more? Because of the vocal fanbase that just believes Knuckles is the more natural fighter even though Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Battle proves that's complete BS?

If it weren't for the fact that Shadow's already an Assist Trophy, by this same logic Shadow would be considered the top choice for the 2nd rep given how overzealous his popularity can be.

Tails is still a popular choice overall, and I dare say the only characters that are more iconic to the franchise are Sonic himself and Dr. Eggman.

I think Tails should get first billing. Knuckles can come in the next Smash and/or if we're REALLY lucky, even later Smash 4 DLC as well.
For starters, there's the fact that @PushDustIn recorded data of the many Smash wants for DLC, which surprisingly has Knuckles as the more popular choice. You can talk more about it with him if you need more information.

Secondly, the Knuckles supporters themselves are much more vocal and frequent from what I've seen on YouTube and other social media sites. And I do think that the whole "Knux is more of a fighter than Tails" argument is unfair. And there's also the fact that one Game Informer editor wants their customers to support him in the ballot and you know how gullible people are these days. :rolleyes:

Not doubting Tails' chances or anything, but I'm saying that these Knuckles supporters are a huge threat to the twin tailed fox. You are right about him being more iconic since he's the original P2 and Sakurai might wind up picking him for that reason alone.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Tails could be likely as the secondary Sega character; however, Ryu is the second Capcom character and Megaman is the first one. Megaman and Ryu are both from different video game series, meaning that Sega might want someone from Virtua fighter (or somewhere else) to take that second character slot.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tails could be likely as the secondary Sega character; however, Ryu is the second Capcom character and Megaman is the first one. Megaman and Ryu are both from different video game series, meaning that Sega might want someone from Virtua fighter (or somewhere else) to take that second character slot.
Virtua Fighter characters aren't nearly as Iconic as Ryu is. There's no one other then a 2nd Sonic rep from Sega that truly feels they have an iconic spot amongst the Roster.

And saying it has to be from a different franchises is just making up unwritten rules of which Ryu has already broken two of. (1. 3rd Parties being DLC in general. 2. That there can only be one per company). As I've said many times before, who's to say they can't make the exception even if that is a rule and/or who's to say that's a rule in the first place.

Ryu breaks new ground for potential DLC no matter how you look at it. No one would of even considered Ryu a year ago or even six months ago based on certain unwritten 3rd Party rules. Yet here he is now.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Virtua Fighter characters aren't nearly as Iconic as Ryu is. There's no one other then a 2nd Sonic rep from Sega that truly feels they have an iconic spot amongst the Roster.

And saying it has to be from a different franchises is just making up unwritten rules of which Ryu has already broken two of. (1. 3rd Parties being DLC in general. 2. That there can only be one per company). As I've said many times before, who's to say they can't make the exception even if that is a rule and/or who's to say that's a rule in the first place.
I am not making up unwritten rules as that is not my point. The point is that Sega might want to advertise their Virtua Fighter series to go along with Ryu being in Smash Brothers, having their fighting series versus one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fighting series in existence.

As for Ryu being in Smash, I hope we get Nintendo vs. Capcom as a Wii U Exclusive as compensation for him being in Smash Brothers (or a bonus if you prefer).

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I agree with Oracle_Summon. Even if they were to add a second SEGA representative, it would far more likely be from one of SEGA's other franchises than another Sonic character.

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
Well, my hope for Tails getting in for Smash 4 DLC has just skyrocketed, as the whole Ryu thing has proven the unwritten "one rep per third party franchise/company" rule to be false.

That being said, Tails still has plenty of competition for DLC, but at least now we know it's possible for him to show up...

The ElectrOStudios

Smash Cadet
NNID
JOhm14
3DS FC
0662-4659-1255
Switch FC
SW 2863 8195 2119
I agree with Oracle_Summon. Even if they were to add a second SEGA representative, it would far more likely be from one of SEGA's other franchises than another Sonic character.
Sega has many other franchises, but one of them have anywhere near the amount of popularity as the Sonic franchise. I think Sega will probably add at least one second Sonic rep before thinking about getting someone from a different franchise.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sega has many other franchises, but one of them have anywhere near the amount of popularity as the Sonic franchise. I think Sega will probably add at least one second Sonic rep before thinking about getting someone from a different franchise.
Let me guess, Phantasy Star or Super Monkey Ball?

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Ryu breaks new ground for potential DLC no matter how you look at it. No one would of even considered Ryu a year ago or even six months ago based on certain unwritten 3rd Party rules. Yet here he is now.
Other sega franchises that could be considered beyond sonic/virtua fighter:

1) Alex Kidd: guy was the mascot before Sonic. Credit where it's due to the mega drive.
2) Toejam and Earl: only possible if ice climbers work.
3) Flicky: you don't have sonic without him.
4) G or the squeaky voiced flying mini zombie that 'killed' G in House of the Dead 2: house of the dead is one of the most popular arcade games ever and has quite the story over the years. And any of the pc's just use guns. I guess you could be G (who's playable in the first, third, and 'overkill' installments) and use an assortment of 'mutant' summons.
5) NiGHTS into Dreams: he looks iconic, he's only had two games, but he's in current sega crossover titles (as is tails) and is beloved.
6) Vyse: he went from sega to Nintendo easily, I love his game, I love his design down to the eyepatch/monocle, and he's in crossover games now. Plus the Arcadia series overall was pretty great.
7) someone from the phantasy star series: we all want phantasy star online 2 on wii u. Why not?
8) billy hatcher: does not really belong on this list. Nice design and fun game though.
9) kid chameleon: see billy hatcher
10) the prince from the Oasis series: beyond oasis is the genesis answer to 'a link to the past'. Don't believe me? Go download it on the wii virtual console. I'll see you two days later because all you've done over those two days is play that game.
11) shinobi from shinobi: shinobi.
12) streets of rage: get the roller skate kid.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Freduardo said:
Other sega franchises that could be considered beyond sonic/virtua fighter:

1) Alex Kidd: guy was the mascot before Sonic. Credit where it's due to the mega drive.
2) Toejam and Earl: only possible if ice climbers work.
3) Flicky: you don't have sonic without him.
4) G or the squeaky voiced flying mini zombie that 'killed' G in House of the Dead 2: house of the dead is one of the most popular arcade games ever and has quite the story over the years. And any of the pc's just use guns. I guess you could be G (who's playable in the first, third, and 'overkill' installments) and use an assortment of 'mutant' summons.
5) NiGHTS into Dreams: he looks iconic, he's only had two games, but he's in current sega crossover titles (as is tails) and is beloved.
6) Vyse: he went from sega to Nintendo easily, I love his game, I love his design down to the eyepatch/monocle, and he's in crossover games now. Plus the Arcadia series overall was pretty great.
7) someone from the phantasy star series: we all want phantasy star online 2 on wii u. Why not?
8) billy hatcher: does not really belong on this list. Nice design and fun game though.
9) kid chameleon: see billy hatcher
10) the prince from the Oasis series: beyond oasis is the genesis answer to 'a link to the past'. Don't believe me? Go download it on the wii virtual console. I'll see you two days later because all you've done over those two days is play that game.
11) shinobi from shinobi: shinobi.
12) streets of rage: get the roller skate kid.
Those are all good franchises, but would Sega actually pick any of these over another Sonic character? Many of these franchises haven't gotten another game in years. Plus, I don't think some of these franchises have actually appeared on Nintendo consoles or are iconic enough for Sega to consider.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Those are all good franchises, but would Sega actually pick any of these over another Sonic character? Many of these franchises haven't gotten another game in years. Plus, I don't think some of these franchises have actually appeared on Nintendo consoles or are iconic enough for Sega to consider.
In Phantasy Star's defense, Online 2 is the most popular Sega PC MMORPG in Japan that still runs well to this day.

If only Sega can finally bring the game to the West....

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Shin Megami Tensei says hi!
Forgot, Sega Sammy Holdings still has Atlus under their wing. Should have known that they have one of the biggest JRPG's in their clutches.

Well Jack Frost it is since he's the company's self proclaimed mascot and had been appearing in plenty Nintendo SMT titles. Hee-ho!

SonicMario

Smash Master
Doesn't matter who it is regarding a Non-Sonic Sega franchise or anything from ATLUS, none of them and I mean none of them would be Sega's 2nd choice nor any particular character quite as popular and/or would sell as much as DLC as another Sonic character.

I'm not even saying Sega will ever get a 2nd rep, Ryu may very well be the only 3rd Party DLC or just the only 3rd Party DLC that comes from an already represented company we get. The future is definitely uncertain.

But in the case that Sega does get granted another rep. What's the smarter plan? Adding another rep from arguably one of the most popular franchises (And was in half the series by now) represented in Smash that is proven to attract anyone involved with Sonic in some way. Or choosing someone who doesn't have quite the widely known appeal. Tails (and/or Knuckles) are characters even non-gamers know about. Ryu is the first guy most come up when people think Street Fighter and is why he was chosen when they decided to represent Street Fighter.

Again, I want to press that I'm not absolute certain about any 2nd Sonic rep coming along as I remain cautious as I know the odds are still stacked against it (But after Ryu's inclusion it's not quite as insurmountable as it seemed before).

But hey, maybe Nintendo will even grant this kinda gift in time for next year when the Sonic franchise officially turns 25 years old. The franchise even started in June the same month as E3 every year. So... Tails for E3 2016?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Considering Shadow is currently an Assist Trophy in this game, the best bet is Tails, with Knuckles and Eggman being likely as well for a second Sonic/Sega rep. I think Tails could offer a more creative moveset than Knuckles, who'd play essenttally like Lil' Mac with digging shenanigans (I doubt they'd implement his gliding power with the gliding mechanic removed). Aside from Bowser Jr. we really don't have a "mech" type character and Eggman fits that bill with his walker from Sonic Adventure 2. Tails could make use of his natural abilities (spin dash, tail propellers, speed) while also making use of his mechanical skills he's picked up since after his unveiling in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Not to mention Sonic and Tails coming bundled in the infamous Melee prank. God I remember falling for that. I actually managed to get the required number of KOs on Bowser. Imagine my disappointment that it was a joke.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just to humor myself, I've looked back at a certain Death Battle to see the many salty Luigi fans being sour over Tails' victory. You know t's sad when the Zmario fandom devolve into baseless logic and stupidity because their favorite character is realistically inferior.

"Luigi can easily stomp the entire Sonic universe and his fanbase isn't as autistic"

LOL nope! The Mario universe is arguably in a lower power tier in comparison. There are only few characters that are FtL and most of them aren't powerful enough to end the Mushroom Kingdom if they wanted to.

Sonic fans are autistic you say? Gee, then tell me why the hell does the Super Mario fandom still create terrible fanfictions and draw "original characters". Seem sort of like grasping at straws don't you think?

"This is bull****, Tails should not win since he's the weakest Sonic character in history."

Cream the Rabbit says hi! Or if we get more technical, Chao are no more threatening than a freaking Goomba.

"You know there's something wrong when a gay ten year old fox defeats a middle aged plumber who's a powerhouse."

Luigi has a high IQ level that rivals Eggman? Then I guess that makes him more than enough to handle Chaos's more weaker forms or even Emerl. And Tails at least had a few crushes in his life while Luigi practically has to put up with a girl only in spinoffs (one hated by the entire fandom).

"The Sonic universe is so weak that even the Deadly Six would be defeated by the Koopalings."

Ahahahahahahaha...no! After taking over the entire planet (Lost Hex) with an army of robots at their disposal, the Koopalings would not even light a candle to guys like Zavok or Zazz. Their more stronger attacks were the results of Kamek's magic while the Deadly Six are naturally strong and would crush them with their raw strength alone.

I can do this all day long since while the Zmario franchise is more famous, the Sonic universe pretty much outclasses everything in their universe no matter how the delisional fanboys argue. :rolleyes:

The Smashor

Smash Cadet
We're not going to have more than one third-party character per series, let alone company.

Tails should've been Sonic's Up-B, much like Flying Pikmin is Olimar's new Up-B.
Let's seeeee, who are are 3rd party charecters?
:4sonic:=SEGA
:4pacman:=namco
:snake:=konami or whatever it's called
:4megaman:=CAPCOM
:4ryu:=CAPCOM
So shut up.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Honestly, that's another reason why I'd love to see Tails. You really can't have Tails be a Luigified Sonic because that would make horrible under-use of Tails' natural and technical quirks. Shadow could be a Luigified Clone, and Knuckles one of Mac, but you're almost guaranteed to get a 100% purebred made-to-order Tails moveset. Same with Eggman.

Not that Shadow or Knuckles couldn't receive a fully unique moveset, but there are existing characters that already do what they do. Tails or Eggman at least adds to a woefully absent "gadgeteer" or "mech" characters.

Top Bottom