• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's

Geist

Smash Master
Stadium always psyches me out. If it were permanently on the neutral stage it would probably be my fav, but the rock and windmill variation screws me up.
Stadium is definetly the best place for charge beam though. With all that dust and stuff everywhere during the changes

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Stadium always psyches me out. If it were permanently on the neutral stage it would probably be my fav, but the rock and windmill variation screws me up.
Stadium is definetly the best place for charge beam though. With all that dust and stuff everywhere during the changes
I agree, the mountain sucks, but I like the windmill. It's easy to escape by wavelanding, and punishing. Mountain is ok sometimes, but I think its the one part samus is at a disadvantage at. So i usually camp behind it, since no one approaches me there. Charge, and do the grapple cancel on the wall :laugh:

Geist

Smash Master
For some reason I always end up stock cancelling in the fire stage.
I can never do it when I want to but when I'm in a match I always make sure I stay away from that **** tree

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
For some reason I always end up stock cancelling in the fire stage.
I can never do it when I want to but when I'm in a match I always make sure I stay away from that **** tree
How exactly is it done?
/tutorial pl0x

Geist

Smash Master
Well I can't either. I can only do it when I'm in the middle of a match and not thinking about it.

But pretty much just aim directly where the branches uhh... branch off. There's a little invisible opening there from where the surfaces don't quite touch.
You have to be pretty precise because there's only a small little spot you can go through. Try the same angle from different parts of the branch

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hey, just checking in to see if I need to update anything.

Saw the yoshi story comments, thought I'd say my piece:

Surviving to a high percent is cool, and you don't get that on YS. It's a double edged sword though because your opponents are stuck in the same boat too. So when considering its good vs bad, stuff like that can become a bit moot.

Obviously Marth's auto tippers suck, but after you realize where they are and when he can/will use them it becomes more... manageable. I don't get the problem with Randal's hole or the grapple to walljump thing, neither really hurt me. The platforms and small stage mean you will fire numerous missiles quickly and will always get them across the stage or to the edge of the screen; you just have to be careful to use them at the right moment considering it doesn't take long for an enemy to take 5 steps and be staring at you face to face. Small stage means camping is harder for those kinds of enemies. The stage extends to the bottom of the screen allowing you to grapple there even!

I like the shy guys because Samus has an easy time killing them and sacrificing their souls to Randal to gain his favor in those all important recovery moments. What, you didn't know it worked that way? Well...

Personally, my favorite stage is PS. I don't care to much for the transformed parts, but the regular part is fantastic IMO. Maybe I'm just weird :/

Geist

Smash Master
Wow you havent posted here in a while :D

PS is probably one of my favorites. I'm all for the smaller stages with platforms.

Geist

Smash Master
WD OoS close enough that he can't safely laser, but far enough away so that he can't hit you, and is forced to approach or retreat (until he runs out of stage).
then space tilts/jab/screw attack.

Or be a hero and PS all his lasers

Campy Falcos are really a ***** to fight, but that goes with every character. Cept Jiggs of course.

Geist

Smash Master
I thought you were going to reveal the great mysteries of failed sweetspots and other grapply mishaps. :[

Someone needs to find these things out. I spent like a week trying to find out what happens but all I found out was that arm extending thing I posted way earlier.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
It was just something that was bothering me, and i know most of US know about it, but it could help newcomers *shrug*

also blowtoes
what do you mean mysteries of failed sweetspots
I'm unclear as to what you're talking about

Geist

Smash Master
You know when you grapple right where the sweetspot is, but for some reason the game doesn't get it and you pop up like you do with an unsweetspotted grapple.

Also sometimes when you're pulling yourself up Samus inexplicably decides she wants to do cartwheels down into the pit instead.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
oh

i think the first has to do with there being a small area where you can actually sweetspot grapple
at least that's what i tell myself from my experience with it

the second part i think has to do with grappling on some bad areas (lol) or grappling wrong somehow (more lols)
i really can't explain that one

all i know is that it only happens to me on battlefield
battlefield really is only if you grapple a bad area

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If there's a bump between you and the grapple, the grapple won't stick. That's usually why you fall if you stick the grapple.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
do any of you guys know why grappling randall works sometimes

it's only happened to me twice

both the ***** let go and killed me

EDIT

editing this post so as to not lose the 1337 lol

thank you aids

and
@edgeluca
yeah, once i grappled onto the slot right as randall was coming out, so i grappled randall, and it just made me let go and go into that stupid tumbling animation blowtoes was talking about earlier
the second time i was trying to recover again, but i just happened to grapple with randall in the way
AND THE ***** DID IT AGAIN

i am glad he doesn't do this bull**** in tourney

Geist

Smash Master
oh

i think the first has to do with there being a small area where you can actually sweetspot grapple
at least that's what i tell myself from my experience with it
I dunno, unless the sweetspot is a lot more specific than people think it is it doesn't make sense. I've grappled Yoshi's and Dreamland like right at the tip of the ledge, and sometimes it just doesn't sweetspot.

AlexanderTriad

Smash Ace
I'd definitely say that Marth is a worse match up than Shiek (or is it Sheik i always forget). Shiek is scary because she kills samus easily but samus CAN apply pressure in most situations especially with platforms and WD ftilting (Shield bombing is a good trick to mess up shieks but of course it cant be spammed).

Marth feels like it's a better match up because you can survive longer, but if the Marth is very skilled there is about nothing that you can do except survive for a long time. You can't out match the reach, and in the end it will wear you down.

Yes Marth can gimp your Samus, but most top teirs can in someway. It's just unlikely if you are careful VS marth. It's more likely that he just wont take as much DMG and you'll be **** out of luck.

I'm basing my experiences off of playing many matches but especially all the Marth and Shiek matches with M2K when he used to live near me.

my personal match up list from hardest to easiest would be...

Marth
Jiggs (Only because I haven't played many good ones. and the only good one i played I wasn't ready for whatsoever)
Shiek
Peach
Falcon
Falco
Doctor Mario
Fox
...everyone else

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Marth
Jiggs (Only because I haven't played many good ones. and the only good one i played I wasn't ready for whatsoever)
Shiek
Peach
Falcon
Falco
Doctor Mario
Fox
...everyone else
Marth
Sheik
Jiggs
Falcon
Peach
Ganon
Fox
Dr. Mario
Falco
...everyone else

Geist

Smash Master
Marth
Shiek
Peach
Falcon
Falco
Doctor Mario
Fox
...everyone else
No Ganon? O.o

I really only have 'problems' with Marth, Sheik, Ganon and Jiggs. I'm confident with my spacie matchups <3
Oh wait I left out Peach. That *****

AlexanderTriad

Smash Ace
No Ganon? O.o

I really only have 'problems' with Marth, Sheik, Ganon and Jiggs. I'm confident with my spacie matchups <3
Oh wait I left out Peach. That *****
Ganon is scary because he hits hard but, he has really poor missile defense... spam, and shield stab with light attacks, kill / rack up insane DMG with edge guarding. If the ganon DIs good he'll feel like he just won't die but just concentrate on not getting hit and strike light.

...but that's just one shlubs opinion ;)

BTW for non fast fallers... even shiek battles, I find Bair very useful and I'm just bringing this up because when I use it they normally aren't ready and its so beast and I watch other samus players rarely use it. In my opinion Bair = #1 in-air projectile spam killer and punisher.... it puts Dr. Mario in his place and a couple other match ups.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i think ganon can get through missiles pretty well
i have tried spamming the **** out of them
but noo
they just break all my ***** missiles

Geist

Smash Master
Ganon is scary because he hits hard but, he has really poor missile defense...

...but that's just one shlubs opinion ;)
lol Good Ganons make missiles irrelevant. They work well when edgeguarding though. Otherwise Ganon just needs to do a move, and the missile disintegrates into a million shards of uselessness.
Bair is amazing.
Bair is amazing.

Top Bottom