• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's

Geist

Smash Master
I like FD vs jiggs and DL against peach. For jiggs FD only gives her a one dimensional approach, and wd back > utilt becomes top tier.
For Peach DL gives a nice amount of space to maneuver around peach, because she's scary up close. It's hard for her to get a kill if you're not at high percents.

What are some advantages you're thinking of on stadium?

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
nice i usually take jiggs to FD too. peach too. DL vs peach is good cuz of the high platforms and high percentage survival from her fthrow.

for stadium, i feel that samus could have advantage over peach after the terrain changes due to her longer range and ability to utilt past that tree and stuff. it's just a thought though, i gotta put this into play and test it out.

Geist

Smash Master
I'd say it's a no-no for Jiggs, that stage transition really does nothing to her strategy of bair spam. Bair spam will always be aimed for your face regardless.
you'll be baired on a windmill
or a tree
or a burning house
or a mountain

Jiggs does not care.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
that's true. those obstacles don't stop jiggs

if you're ever counterpicked on this stage, remember that the windmill phase has a lot of platforms for heat seaking missile ledge cancels. this stumps her for a bit.

Pi

Smash Hero
if they don't ban it i'll take jiggs to YS any day
i find killing her to be more of a problem them dying
the platforms are really nice for UB on this stage
and smaller stage leaves less room for her to run from CS
and like i said, an early nair/bair/cs kill can really turn the tide in this matchup

besides
the longer samus takes to recover the larger window jiggs has for a gimp, so on big stages i don't feel that we get to take advantage of samus great recovery as usual

As for peach...idk, am not fluent in the peach matchup

oh also, blowtoes
my friend played some shiek vs me today

it's really quite hard to avoid getting gimped out of grapple
sheik really can just wait and wait, saving her second jump just below your grapple, and either react to the grapple, or just jump bair/fair when she knows you have to do something

Geist

Smash Master
oh also, blowtoes
my friend played some shiek vs me today

it's really quite hard to avoid getting gimped out of grapple
sheik really can just wait and wait, saving her second jump just below your grapple, and either react to the grapple, or just jump bair/fair when she knows you have to do something
yepyepyep
dat bair

All she needs is to restore her invincibility frames and she can do that to your screw attack too.

Alukard

Smash Hero
i like rainbow cruise, BF, Pkmn for peach

i really haven't gotten to play a good jiggs in a tourney match with samus so i dont know where i would take her but in my opinion living should be ur goal ... and just run and shoot that ***** up ... seriously samus really doesn't have anything besides ftilt and a really well spaced uptilt to use on that fat *****

o btw i'm baaaaack ... well trying to be ^_^

rhan

Smash Hero
Alu will be back to playing Falco and Sheik in a month... Ignoring the best most fun character in this game..

</3

Alukard

Smash Hero
yea you better be back
and don't go awal again!
LOLOL ... u already know the nyc situation LOL

Sweet Alu is back :D
or at least trying to be.

Jiggs sucks.
definitely trying to be back bro! ... and yea jiggs is a ****

alukard, samus gots you by the balls and you know it
she definitely does ... have u seem them JUGS!

Alu will be back to playing Falco and Sheik in a month... Ignoring the best most fun character in this game..

</3
in my opinion if u can play falco sheik really well those are really REALLY fun characters as well bro ... but its mostly because CF marth JIGGS ... PISS ME THE **** OFF when i'm samus

=(

second fav samus... goneeeeeee
i'm still here bro ... and <3 for the second ... whos the first if i may ask LOL.. abrazo ? or spacenutz?

duals

Smash Journeyman
LOLOL ... u already know the nyc situation LOL
i'm still here bro ... and <3 for the second ... whos the first if i may ask LOL.. abrazo ? or spacenutz?
Hugs.. heh

He has as simple defensive style, but it works...

but id rather be more aggressive like yours... I sound like such a fan boy >.>

Violence

Smash Lord
Just wondering about this guys... if Samus's back is facing Marth, and he comes in with a SHfair tipped on your shield, can you bair out of shield to punish? Or will that just get hit?

Pi

Smash Hero
Just wondering about this guys... if Samus's back is facing Marth, and he comes in with a SHfair tipped on your shield, can you bair out of shield to punish? Or will that just get hit?
depends on how early he does it
if he fairs as soon as he leaves the ground I'm fairly certain you could bair him
if he does it while falling you can't do much about it

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing against a pro young link player and his projectiles are killing me. The only projectile that I'm not too afraid of are his bombs since I catch em and throw them back, but he usually will do a boomerang or arrow with the bomb and I'll try to either shield or perfect shield the boomerang/arrow but usually end up getting hit by the bomb since the bomb comes right after he fire's an arrow/boomerang. I also try to avaid his projectiles but he reads my mind and does a boomerang in the direction I'm jumping and hits me. He's a very evasive and projectile spamming YL player who I can rarely touch. WD approach doesn't work well with all his projectile garbage which throws off my playstyle.

I also would like to know of a good way to edgeguard him. I know the typical edgeguard moves against him are utilt, dsmash, and nair off the ledge...and maybe a bomb on the edge but those are never all that effective. Anytime I try to edgeguard him he barely gets me with his mangled up-B hitbox.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've found a couple good Samus vs YL vids but only a couple and I didn't find much of anything discussion wise against YL and Samus.

Pi

Smash Hero
YL & link are hard for samus
you have to win the projectile game, cause he can really shut you down and you don't have the combo's/gimps/edgeguards other characters have to capitalize on his mistakes

so it comes down to picking the right stage, in friendlies it's one thing but definitely ban FD in tourney, you can't match his projectile game on that stage.

your CP is probably going to be either Pstadium if you're good at missile cancles on plats, or FoD, to kinda shut down his projectile game a bit, though if he knows how to work it it may not be as effective. But it still has a high ceiling so he won't be getting stupid early dair kills.

Yoshi can force interaction as well, I wouldn't advocate big stages like dreamland, or KJ64 (though i'm not so sure about KJ) because he's so mobile and w/ his projectiles he can force you to eat too much damage trying to chase him down

it's important to know what he does when he gets cornered, and how to corner him, if you can put some missiles out there and force him to at least shield, or stop throwing **** for a second, you can close distance. Then when you're inside you need to work to either stay there, or put damage on him

if you can overwhelm him with missiles on stages like Pstadium/yoshi's, then by all means spam your *** off.

As far as edgeguarding goes, GL. Try to grab the edge and invincible nair him out of his UB. Remember that if he goes for the grapple, you can drop down nair and make it back safely (assuming you were holding onto the edge when you dropped off.

it's not an easy matchup, don't get frustrated

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
@ThePrime: I'm actually in WA =P just forgot to update my account. I haven't been on here for awhile hehe. (I'll work on getting vids of our matches )

@3: I've tried overwhelming the **** out of him with missile cancels on all the legit tourney stages. I can usually hit him every now and then with one or two, but usually it doesn't affect him that much. He capitalizes on YL projectile mindgames and tricks along with YL's sidestep (which is possibly the best in the game) along with the weird hitbox of YL's grapple. Best approach I've found to get close to him with his spamming is WD OOS. I'll definitely have to get some vids of our matches so you can see what I'm talking about.

I'll start looking at what he does when I corner him. I haven't been looking at that. Thanks for the tips!

ThePrime

Smash Lord
@Vadgama
Well shoot man lets play lol. I'm pretty sure the next smashfest is next wednesday in the udistrict, i can pm you the address and stuff if you want

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
@Vadgama
Well shoot man lets play lol. I'm pretty sure the next smashfest is next wednesday in the udistrict, i can pm you the address and stuff if you want
We definitely should play together sometime. Especially since we're so close to each-other lol. But at least not until the summer begins for me. I've got way too much schoolwork to do and finals to study for #_#.

Corigames

Smash Hero
This is the ghost of smashers passsssssssed... OooooOOOOOOOOooooo... I've come from the grave to *cough* sorry, I've come back to see if there's any updates I should throw in the intro to Samus thread. Specific videos, insights, acclimation, how I should really go back through and edit it to correct spelling/grammatical/substance errors?

Does anyone even use this anymore?

AIDS

Smash Lord
This is the ghost of smashers passsssssssed... OooooOOOOOOOOooooo... I've come from the grave to *cough* sorry, I've come back to see if there's any updates I should throw in the intro to Samus thread. Specific videos, insights, acclimation, how I should really go back through and edit it to correct spelling/grammatical/substance errors?

Does anyone even use this anymore?
Yeahhhh.....what he said! OOoooooOOOOOooooo!!!!

Violence

Smash Lord
Whoa.

I'm sure the guide was pretty good for its time, but honestly, it's 2008 metagame, in the end.

A lot of the advice is outdated.

Top Bottom