• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Cool, I'll do my best
More support is always welcome. Love your avatar. As irrelavent as Call of Duty jokes tend to be, that one made me laugh out of surprise.

Do you guys think a stage will be added to match the ballot newcomers?

What are some of your stage picks to match the Inklings?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Inkopolis would be my main pick. It's where everyone starts off and probably one of the more recognizable places for the game. Plus, it can have a Smashville type of mechanic where every now and then you'd be in the middle of a Splatfest.

The next choice would be Octo Valley. Really easy to set up floating platforms in this setting. I think it might be a little odd to hear some of the Splatoon songs in this area, but I could get use to it.

I don't really see any of the stages being used from the game. I just have a tough time seeing it, but I guess the best choices would be the more recognizable stages. Urchin Underpass, Walleye Warehouse, and Blackbelly Skatepark. Those are the ones, imo, that stand out a bit more than the others.

Last edited:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
More support is always welcome. Love your avatar. As irrelavent as Call of Duty jokes tend to be, that one made me laugh out of surprise.

Do you guys think a stage will be added to match the ballot newcomers?

What are some of your stage picks to match the Inklings?
Thanks for the complement

I think we will see some unique stages for the ballot newcomer(s) i mean it would be weird if they had no stage to go with them. For which map from Splatoon i think would be made into a stage, it's between walleye warehouse, saltspray rig, and blackbelly skatepark, because i think those are the most recognizable

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Thanks for the complement

I think we will see some unique stages for the ballot newcomer(s) i mean it would be weird if they had no stage to go with them. For which map from Splatoon i think would be made into a stage, it's between walleye warehouse, saltspray rig, and blackbelly skatepark, because i think those are the most recognizable
What if they made a stage based on Inkopolis that's similar to that moving city stage on 3ds?

A stage based on the final boss fight from Splatoon would be pretty cool. Probably too crazy though

InsaneStar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Johan7
3DS FC
2492-4240-2632
Stages for the Inklings? My mind is on...

Octo Valley - Easy, since it's a high place and has platform areas. So a battlefield like that is a piece of octo pie* to plan out. I get the feeling that if Sakurai plans this stage, it will be a transformable stage to change different scenery and/or stage layouts like Mushroom Kingdom U since Octo Valley has different scenery in different stages.

or

Blackbelly Skatepark - While this stage is fun, but causes frequently lag as some people say. I don't know where the position to fight, I bet in the middle of the stage where it has that big roller. If that doesn't work, we could fight in the sky above the park having UFO platform(s) in Single player where you fight the Octolings.

My other thoughts is Bluefin Depot or Saltspray Rig but I can't think of the position where they should fight.

*Yes, I know the old meaning is piece of cake, but trying to fit a pun.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There are far too many great maps in the game, so picking only one of them wouldn't be fair... So Inkopolis would be my stage of choice.

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
Does that mean everyone gets an inkstrike?
Yes

Anyways,

I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff was posted here before, but I like seeing all options. For the alt. colors for the Inklings, I feel that it should go the Little Mac route with the full 16 outfits! I'm not the greatest at GIMP, I just downloaded it, but I just went ahead and erased the team color part of each Inkling and then put another one in a separate layer. I really want to do a Callie and Marie colors, but it's late and I still need to figure out GIMP.

Thank you to the Smashified team for giving these awesome renders!

Oh, the Inkling girl alts are beautiful

Inkling Boy:

Inkling Girl:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I know those are just fan made renders (duh), but if at least two of the variations for the Inklings aren't dark skinned I will be truly annoyed. There are so many "dark" skinned squids in the game, plus even in promotional artworks Nintendo added a few ones here and there. It wouldn't be fair if in Smash all 8 Inkling variations are pale skinned.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I know those are just fan made renders (duh), but if at least two of the variations for the Inklings aren't dark skinned I will be truly annoyed. There are so many "dark" skinned squids in the game, plus even in promotional artworks Nintendo added a few ones here and there. It wouldn't be fair if in Smash all 8 Inkling variations are pale skinned.
I haven't played Animal crossing in a while, but can you change the skin tone of your villager? If so then that may serve as a precedent for Inklings. Similarly can you change the skin color of Robin? I've played Awakening but its been years.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
I haven't played Animal crossing in a while, but can you change the skin tone of your villager? If so then that may serve as a precedent for Inklings. Similarly can you change the skin color of Robin? I've played Awakening but its been years.
Actually you can't change the skin tone for either of them(which is kind of silly at this point). But unlike those two, Inklings are shown to have multiple skin tones. So i feel like if they get in they'll incorporate that into some alt colors.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Ah, okay. So then it makes sense that the Inklings would have different skin tones. Taking that into account, I wouldn't be surprised if they supported the full 16 colors like Little Mac

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Ah, okay. So then it makes sense that the Inklings would have different skin tones. Taking that into account, I wouldn't be surprised if they supported the full 16 colors like Little Mac

If they don't do something like that for the Inklings I think it'd be missed opportunity. I think they'll do it, since in a way the Inklings are also customizable like the Villager, Robin, and somewhat Wii Fit Trainer.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
For the alts, I was thinking their should be four for each gender, four boy and four girl. All the different alts would sport a different hair color and skin tone.
Also, for their Amiibo it should also be supportable for Splatoon, since the original Splatoon Amiibo are impossible to find.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
btw guys, I found a guy who said this about Splatoon.
Nintendo didn't target adults with a sci-fi/military or similar theme, Nintendo targeted children with a very generic, bland theme. THIS PERSON LITERALLY CALLED SPLATOON GENERIC! ******* be crazay!

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Nintendo didn't target adults with a sci-fi/military or similar theme, Nintendo targeted children with a very generic, bland theme. THIS PERSON LITERALLY CALLED SPLATOON GENERIC! ******* be crazay!
that's ironic, Splatoon is considered generic, and yet Sci-fi/Military shooters have been the same fore well over a decade now...

I would be laughing if i wasn't banging my head against the wall in frustration.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
that's ironic, Splatoon is considered generic, and yet Sci-fi/Military shooters have been the same fore well over a decade now...

I would be laughing if i wasn't banging my head against the wall in frustration.
The person is kinda an idiot. When bashing games like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Wind Waker (He ****ing went there) his points weren't very good. I just think he does it to get people mad.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
The person is kinda an idiot. When bashing games like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Wind Waker (He ****ing went there) his points weren't very good. I just think he does it to get people mad.
Well he's a troll, so his opinion gets ignored:awesome:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Hey guys I've been thinking of moveset and stats for the inkling if he were to make it into smash.

Here it is.

Unique Mechanic: inked - any of the inkling projectiles causes the opponent to get covered in ink, causing the next hit to deal extra damage and knockback. after the inked hit you can't cover your opponent in ink for a short time. They also have limited ink

Neutral A/Jab: A quick three shot burst - consumes ink

Forward Tilt: Running while shooting - consumes ink

Down Tilt: Pokes with the gun - does not consume ink

Up Tilt: Shoot upwards - consumes ink

Forward Smash: Swings the Paint roller in front of them - deals significantly less damage if you have no ink

Down Smash: Swing the paint roller from side to side - deals significantly less damage if you have no ink

Up Smash: Swings the the paint roller over head - deals significantly less damage if you have no ink

Neutral B: Squid Form - While in this form you can jump higher and have faster ground speed as well as recover ink, but you can't attack. this can be canceled at anytime by pressing B again.

Side B: Charger - Takes about 3 seconds to charge up but fires a long range projectile that's fast and deals high damage, however has a lot of end lag

Up B: Squid Jump - Enters squid form and jumps in a slightly curved arc, recovers ink while this occurs.

Down B: Ink Bomb - throws an Ink Bomb that explodes after a few seconds, this will consume a majority of your ink.

I think this is pretty good, though i feel like the 3ds hardware would stop it from happening, what do you guys think?

edit: I completely forgot aerials, so here they are.

Nair: Jump while shooting

Fair: Swings paint roller forward in air

Bair: Horizontal swing behind the inkling

Upair: Swings Paint roller up

Dair: Swing paint roller downward

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

This baffles the King.

Anyways, I think the Inklings have an alternate with dark skin would be a great idea.

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
I only did the female one since I'm supposed to be sleeping, but I'm surprised I did this, like this, right?

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Is wrong to say that the Americas have the most fun splatfest themes?

Last edited:

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Yes.

I already voted for it. A nice bump is needed.

ALSO EXPECT ME TO BUMP THIS BAD BOY AGAIN WHEN MII GUNNER COMES OUT AND I FINISH MY INKLING AMIIBO.

(too bad mii gunner is the worst mii fighter)

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
While I'm not a Transformers fan, the fact that this Splatfest is happening is downright amazing. Coke vs. Pepsi Splatfest please!

I wonder if Hasbro will do a toy line of Splatoon?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/18/ds-the-inklings/

I feel like this is something you would all be interested in. I wrote an article about the Inklings and their potential moveset. I tried to incorporate as much of what the Inklings do as possible. Let me know what you think. :D
You have some great original ideas like the splatterscope dash attack that sound cool. I'm not a fan of all the aeriels being brush swipes but it could definitely work. Maybe just using a different weapon for some of them would be more preferable for me.

I like the multiplayer victory music, but I think the single player stage clear sounds better. Chances are they'd get the multiplayer jingle.

A lot of people have squid transformations in their move sets. However, isn't Sakurai against tranforming characters, hence why he split up sheik/zelda and samus/zss. It makes sense for their move set for obvious reasons, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
A lot of people have squid transformations in their move sets. However, isn't Sakurai against tranforming characters, hence why he split up sheik/zelda and samus/zss. It makes sense for their move set for obvious reasons, but I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.
The squid is a move, not a transformation in the sense that Sakurai excluded from the game; it doesn't have a full moveset or anything. It's about as much of a "transformation" as Kirby's stone form, or Pac-Man's various "pizza slice" attacks.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
The squid is a move, not a transformation in the sense that Sakurai excluded from the game; it doesn't have a full moveset or anything. It's about as much of a "transformation" as Kirby's stone form, or Pac-Man's various "pizza slice" attacks.
I think in that linked moveset the squid had a different side b to attack with. Otherwise, I understand and agree with what you're saying.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
On the subject of the moveset itself, @ MrNantendo MrNantendo , some criticisms:
  • The ink tank feels unnecessary. Inkling will already be swimming around in the stuff as it is -- seeing as how it's a huge speed buff, protection, etc -- so having an ammo mechanic to motivate players to do so is redundant and not needed. I had it originally in my Inkling moveset, and it felt the same way there too, so I removed it.
  • Speaking of ink, I feel it should do something to opponents. Like, I dunno, slow them down or something? It'd help cement the ink as something that Inkling wants -- and needs -- to have all over the battlefield at all times. It should also be destructible, though -- and perhaps disappear over time as well -- so that Inkling constantly needs to keep using the ink-spreading moves. Otherwise, you'll never need to use anything to spray ink once you've gone over the whole battlefield once. Which in a two-dimensional game, is no large undertaking by any means.
  • Some of the move placements. I feel that copying Mega Man's thing with the Splattershot jab and ftilt sort of hampers the Inkling's up close game -- it limits their arsenal, as two of the moves are the exact same -- and also means they can't use it in midair. Both of these issues would be fixed by having the Splattershot be a neutral special. Plus, a projectile jab is sorta tacky unless it's in line with the character. Mega Man has almost entirely projectile attacks, so some of his standards are projectiles. It reflects his character. The Inkling isn't a mostly-projectile character; the focus in Splatoon, and thus in Smash, should be in controlling turf with ink and such, not in having a long-range, projectile-y moveset. That'd both A) copy Mega Man, and B) bring the focus away from ink.
  • Speaking of move placements, the dash attack. While the idea of a dash attack that causes you to retreat rather than advance is interesting, having a projectile here, again, sort of goes against the Inkling's character. Reserve projectiles for specials and maybe smashes, unless projectiles are an integral part of that character and their fundamental theme. Characterization and such aside, though, it feels like a projectile like this sort of takes away the potential uniqueness and novelty of this. It really functions like any other dash attack -- you make a hitbox in front of your dash -- except the animation ends in a different spot. The idea would be a lot cooler if, say, your body had a hitbox as you jumped backwards instead. Then you could dash behind someone, dash attack to hit them, and do a combo or something. It could lead to some mindgames as well -- "he's dashing behind me! will he dash attack, pivot grab, pivot attack, or just wait there and punish?" As is, though, it's not really all that unique. I'm not sure if what I just described would fit that well on Inkling -- and most certainly not on the Splatterscope of all things -- but I just wanted to throw that out there. Why the Splatterscope, by the way? Why not just the regular charger? Meh, whatever.
  • The aerials. The Inkbrush works fine as an aerial. An aerial, not every aerial. It just gets repetitive and boring. And yes, while characters using one weapon for every aerial isn't uncommon in Smash, that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be better to use another weapon, or heck, just some martial arts or something. Inkling certainly isn't lacking in either; the moveset I made -- which I linked above -- makes use of both of those types of aerials, mainly the martial arts side of things. Martial arts being anything a character does without a weapon, whether it be punching, kicking, or turning into a squid.
  • Down special should be a special crouch for when you're above ink or something, in my opinion. It's just a lot more natural and fluid there, as it is in Splatoon. In Splatoon, it's always a single button, not the combination of buttons that is down special. It's a small change, sure, but it goes a long way to making the squid form feel really natural and intuitive. Oh, and apparently the ink can be destroyed. Odd place to mention it, but ok. As for the custom down specials, ninja squid is underpowered -- no need to worry about "stealth" when the camera zooms in and out depending on where you are; heck, this would put you at a disadvantage since you can't see where you are as easily -- and the kraken is out of character. And still kinda underpowered. It should be a final smash or something.
  • The ink isn't really a major focus. You use it for all of two moves: down special and down smash. While down special would indeed be one of, if not the most used move in the set, that's still only two moves out of 20+. In Splatoon, ink is the sole deciding factor for who wins and who loses -- at least, in turf wars and splat zones. Thus, it seems out of character to have it only show up in two moves in any meaningful way. Have it power up your attacks, or make the animations faster, or increase the damage, or something.
Although I am criticizing it rather harshly here, it's a rather good moveset all things considered. I just have a rather... critical attitude as a Make Your Move'er, I suppose. :p (Make Your Move is a contest on the boards where we make movesets, vote for them, comment on them, and stuff. It's great fun, and we're on the seventeenth contest so far; check it out if you like making movesets! :))

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
just for clarification transformation characters were taken out because the 3ds is garbage hardware wise and couldnt handle it. And Sakurai was adamant to keep the rosters of the 3ds and wiiU the same.

that being said. Finally I can play sheik properly.

also custom inkling amiibo.

Also this a a golden opportunity for Mario's fludd to be one of the few moves in the game to clean up ink.

Last edited:

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
lol kawaiiiiiii~

Edit: I was credited for this on K Rool support, that's great I guess!

Last edited:
Top Bottom