• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I thought I'd let you guys know that the game will be down for maintenance from 5:50 PM to 7:00 PM Pacific time, also I stopped waiting and put in my vote out of pure paranoia after seeing the K. Rool Mii costume.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Bruh, I'm so excited, even though I don't watch/read Squid Girl, new, free **** is always appreciated.
Same here. I only watched the first episode, but this dress looks so cool. And it's cool to see the most logical crossover ever coming in the west.

... You know what? I'll watch the episodes. Right now.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Brings up a good question, is everyone voting multiple times? I voted only once since I thought it was unfair to vote more but it seems people are doing multiple.
I have only voted once for two characters (One for a character I wanted and one for a character that deserves it.)
Well, when Lucas was announced, a guy in the Roy support group on Facebook/SmashBoards (he's a really cool guy, I was credited to be an amazing leader by him because I ran the official Twitter account for the support group for Roy. You guys should meet him sometime. but alas, he's a dirty memer) actually made an account to a website to randomize his IP so he can vote multiple times a day. Then Sakurai announces Roy is brought back by sheer popularity even though Roy is universally hated by the Smash community, left for dead in Melee. I suspect it was all by him.

Edit: I suspect the Kremlings do this too

Edit 2: I don't really condone doing this. It just gives too much power and is basically cheating. I almost took part with it too, but I stopped myself from doing fake votes. Come on guys.
Roy was wanted since he was cut in Brawl by a vocal group of fans- remember Sakurai mentioned that the Mewtwo, Ryu, Lucas, and Roy DLC were decided pre-ballot and that he had a 'good sense on their popularity.' I really doubt that one guy was why we got Roy because I am sure there are people doing this for many different characters. Remember Sakurai never said the character who got the most votes would make it in, so I am sure he will use his discretion on how popular they actually are, how unique they would be, would they work well in smash, relevance to Nintendo or the industry, etc.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I know this was brought up earlier, but in Smash the Inklings need to throw a tantrum when they lose. It just fits so much. XD

Also the Inklings dancing with the Heavy Splatling is absolutely adorable!

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I know this was brought up earlier, but in Smash the Inklings need to throw a tantrum when they lose. It just fits so much. XD

Also the Inklings dancing with the Heavy Splatling is absolutely adorable!
On the subject of endgame animations, they should definitely have the slosher as one of their victory animations. It's so freaking rad!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the subject of endgame animations, they should definitely have the slosher as one of their victory animations. It's so freaking rad!
agreed the slosher would be a great part of their moveset too

on a similar note a really cool slosher would be one based round a bottle from zelda

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I take the Gatling victory animation over the slosher anytime. It's just so cute.
And deadly.

Seriously, I love the Gatling. I knew that I would love it. WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GATLING GUN?

I don't see myself changing my weapon. Until they add new gatlings, at least.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I take the Gatling victory animation over the slosher anytime. It's just so cute.
And deadly.

Seriously, I love the Gatling. I knew that I would love it. WHO DOESN'T LOVE A GATLING GUN?

I don't see myself changing my weapon. Until they add new gatlings, at least.
I love the gatling too. Might drop my favorite chargers for it. I almost feel like the gatling is over powered. I get way more kills than I ever have now

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I love the gatling too. Might drop my favorite chargers for it. I almost feel like the gatling is over powered. I get way more kills than I ever have now
Personally, I had no favorite weapon. Sure, I like the N-Zap '89, .96 Gal or the Octobrush (waiting for the "nouveau" version), but they don't bring the same fun as the Splatling.

I don't think that it's overpowered. I do get lots of kills (it's a good defensive weapon in Tower control), but if you miss, you'll have to charge again. It's not exactly an offensive weapon. Hopefully, there's the Splashwall.

On the otherhand, I find the slosher a bit ridiculous. Not OP, but annoying as hell. Especially how it can block your view sometimes (when fighting against it)

Last edited:

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
So, I made the Inklings support, you can find it using @InklingsDLC, but it reminded me of something, why don't we have a cool name for our supporters? Roy support is The Royvolution and K Rool support is the Kremling Kampaigner. Can we be the SquidKids or something along the lines?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So, I made the Inklings support, you can find it using @InklingsDLC, but it reminded me of something, why don't we have a cool name for our supporters? Roy support is The Royvolution and K Rool support is the Kremling Kampaigner. Can we be the SquidKids or something along the lines?
I think we can probably call ourselves the Squidbeak Splatoon, since that's the movement Cap'n Cuttlefish tries to reinstate when the Octarians come out of hiding.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I swear the more I play Splatoon, the more I think they designed the Inklings so they could fit them in Smash. They have the moves, the weapons, the alt colors, the winning poses, the winning music, the taunts, everything!

Also, American Splatfest time! Marshmallows or Hot Dogs?

#TeamHotDog

InsaneStar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Johan7
3DS FC
2492-4240-2632
For some reason, I get the feeling that the Inklings fits in Smash. The more I played Splatoon, the more inspiration it gets for the Inklings to be in Smash. I've seen the move ideas in here, but I've thought about this move that Inklings do. The squid form while traveling in ink. I've been thinking as a alternative crouch option rather than a special move. When you crouch, you'll become a squid. If you don't hide in ink. You move very slowly on the ground. If you hide in ink, either for refilling ink (if there's a mechanic for it in Smash) and/or evade enemy attacks. At the latter idea. I get the feeling that players would spam this move, but there's a way to counter this, if you attack the Inkling that's in the ink (just like in the game that you can attack others that's swimming in ink), they'll be damaged and launched out of the ink. Problem solved.

What you guys think of this idea?

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
For some reason, I get the feeling that the Inklings fits in Smash. The more I played Splatoon, the more inspiration it gets for the Inklings to be in Smash. I've seen the move ideas in here, but I've thought about this move that Inklings do. The squid form while traveling in ink. I've been thinking as a alternative crouch option rather than a special move. When you crouch, you'll become a squid. If you don't hide in ink. You move very slowly on the ground. If you hide in ink, either for refilling ink (if there's a mechanic for it in Smash) and/or evade enemy attacks. At the latter idea. I get the feeling that players would spam this move, but there's a way to counter this, if you attack the Inkling that's in the ink (just like in the game that you can attack others while swimming in ink), they'll be damaged and launched out of the ink. Problem solved.

What you guys think of this idea?
So, like this? :p

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I think we can probably call ourselves the Squidbeak Splatoon, since that's the movement Cap'n Cuttlefish tries to reinstate when the Octarians come out of hiding.
We could all be Squid Agents too. We have a decent amount of options.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
You know how Robin has limited uses for his tomes? Inklings can have limited uses for their weapons. Just like how it works in Splatoon, we can use things for a bit before reloading the ink!
Ehh. I had that in my moveset originally, and it just didn't feel necessary. Limited uses of things is Robin's whole "theme"; I feel that the Inkling would be better off focusing on controlling turf and such than copying another character's schtik.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
result of europe 3rd splatfest: south pole wins
I'm pleasantly surprised by that. It was probably my least favourite Splatfest due to the losing streak I picked up (It was terrible! First match: 2 of my team just vanished and we were outnumbered, AND THEY TRAPPED US BY CAMPING IN OUR BASE!! MRGRRRRRRR!!!)

Still, glad my team won. More Super Snails for me... Though it brings up the question: where do Callie and Marie get them from?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm pleasantly surprised by that. It was probably my least favourite Splatfest due to the losing streak I picked up (It was terrible! First match: 2 of my team just vanished and we were outnumbered, AND THEY TRAPPED US BY CAMPING IN OUR BASE!! MRGRRRRRRR!!!)
ive had that too its infuriating

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
> "Let's not have any sort of ink mechanic, because you can't see the ground in Smash"
Except, y'know, you can. Eliminating the ink mechanic eliminates everything that could make the Inkling unique. You don't do that.

That plus all the wonky input placement. Roller on down b instead of side b, charger on side b instead of neutral b or side smash, splattershot on side smash instead of neutral b... Ugh. This just makes me cringe.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I was told to drop this here. So I'm going to drop this here:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Long time since I've came here.
Anywho, I've finally finished my Inkling moveset. Opinions are very much welcome on it:

Inkling's moveset for SSB4:

Entrance: First is a squid then turns into a human.
Neutral Attack: Paintbrush slash
Dash Attack: Paintroller
Side Tilt: Slosher fling
Up Tilt: Heavy Splatling
Down Tilt: Paintbrush swipe
Side Smash: Charger
Up Smash: Ink Strike
Down Smash: Roller Ink fling
Neutral Aerial: Paintbrush spin
Up Aerial: Upward inkshot
Forward Aerial: Paintbrush forward swipe
Back Aerial: Inkzooka
Down Aerial: Down Blaster shot
Neutral B: Splattershot- Rapidly shoots ink
Side B: Splat Bomb- Throws a splat bomb, takes some time to detonate but does a lot of damage
Up B: Super Jump- Takes some time to charge but goes high
Down B: Squid- Turns into a squid, in this mode you can't attack but you will go faster
Final Smash: Kraken- Transforms into a Kraken. Similar to Down B except for a limited time, goes much faster, and can launch fighters when pressing the B button.

Last edited:
Top Bottom