• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
On the subject of the moveset itself, @ MrNantendo MrNantendo , some criticisms:
  • The ink tank feels unnecessary. Inkling will already be swimming around in the stuff as it is -- seeing as how it's a huge speed buff, protection, etc -- so having an ammo mechanic to motivate players to do so is redundant and not needed. I had it originally in my Inkling moveset, and it felt the same way there too, so I removed it.
I have the same thought on the Ink tank, i was hesitant about putting it in at first. I think my big worry was that the Inklings might have been too powerful and so needed something to nerf them but it is a bit of a roundabout solution. It also limits the amount of Ink that can be on the field at one time which could help from a technical standpoint and, again, acts like a nerf.
  • Speaking of ink, I feel it should do something to opponents. Like, I dunno, slow them down or something? It'd help cement the ink as something that Inkling wants -- and needs -- to have all over the battlefield at all times. It should also be destructible, though -- and perhaps disappear over time as well -- so that Inkling constantly needs to keep using the ink-spreading moves. Otherwise, you'll never need to use anything to spray ink once you've gone over the whole battlefield once. Which in a two-dimensional game, is no large undertaking by any means.
This was a question of being overpowered as well. The idea of the Ink was about giving the inklings a place to hide and move undetected rather than slowing opponents down. It could work in that way but with the amount of ink that the player will want on the field i feel like all opponents would be at a massive disadvantage being constantly hindered. It is hard to say without play testing although one positive is that it would give opponents more of a reason to use their down attacks to destroy the ink.
  • Some of the move placements. I feel that copying Mega Man's thing with the Splattershot jab and ftilt sort of hampers the Inkling's up close game -- it limits their arsenal, as two of the moves are the exact same -- and also means they can't use it in midair. Both of these issues would be fixed by having the Splattershot be a neutral special. Plus, a projectile jab is sorta tacky unless it's in line with the character. Mega Man has almost entirely projectile attacks, so some of his standards are projectiles. It reflects his character. The Inkling isn't a mostly-projectile character; the focus in Splatoon, and thus in Smash, should be in controlling turf with ink and such, not in having a long-range, projectile-y moveset. That'd both A) copy Mega Man, and B) bring the focus away from ink.
I do not think the Splattershot should be a neutral special as it is such a indispensable part of the moveset that i think it fits the standard moves more. I did debat whether i should have them use the splattershot for their ariel as well but worried there would be to many of their attacks taken up by it.

As for the Inklings character i would disagree. I would say the Inkling is entirely a projectile based character in Splatoon due to the nature of the game as a 3rd person shooter, even if the objective is different from most 3rd person shooters. All of the Inklings moves in that game are ranged with the exception of the rollers. I also disagree that it would take away the focus off the ink, if anything it is easier to spread ink around when it is being fired at range rather than close-quarters. It allows the Inkling to get the ink far ahead of them and then quickly swim through it to reach opponents quicker.
  • Speaking of move placements, the dash attack. While the idea of a dash attack that causes you to retreat rather than advance is interesting, having a projectile here, again, sort of goes against the Inkling's character. Reserve projectiles for specials and maybe smashes, unless projectiles are an integral part of that character and their fundamental theme. Characterization and such aside, though, it feels like a projectile like this sort of takes away the potential uniqueness and novelty of this. It really functions like any other dash attack -- you make a hitbox in front of your dash -- except the animation ends in a different spot. The idea would be a lot cooler if, say, your body had a hitbox as you jumped backwards instead. Then you could dash behind someone, dash attack to hit them, and do a combo or something. It could lead to some mindgames as well -- "he's dashing behind me! will he dash attack, pivot grab, pivot attack, or just wait there and punish?" As is, though, it's not really all that unique. I'm not sure if what I just described would fit that well on Inkling -- and most certainly not on the Splatterscope of all things -- but I just wanted to throw that out there. Why the Splatterscope, by the way? Why not just the regular charger? Meh, whatever.
Again, i disagree on the idea that the Inklings are not about projectiles for the reasons above. As for the novelty of the dash attack going in reverse, i think it can only work in range. The main point of a dash attack would be to hit the opponent in front of you but a regular dash with the Inklings, who prioritize in range, would put them at a disadvantage by making them up close and susceptible to grabs. With this particular dash attack you could keep the range but still get the desired effect of attacking someone in front. As for the going backwards with the attack it is part of mind games. If you are being chased by another player it can act as a backwards dodge while having the added benefit of attacking in front. However it can also act as a detriment for players who forget they will go back, pushing the backwards into enemy attacks or bombs.

Also there is no particular reason for the Splatterscope. It could be replaced with any charger. I just liked the design in comparison to the regular splat charger. It had a little bit more on it, you know?
  • The aerials. The Inkbrush works fine as an aerial. An aerial, not every aerial. It just gets repetitive and boring. And yes, while characters using one weapon for every aerial isn't uncommon in Smash, that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be better to use another weapon, or heck, just some martial arts or something. Inkling certainly isn't lacking in either; the moveset I made -- which I linked above -- makes use of both of those types of aerials, mainly the martial arts side of things. Martial arts being anything a character does without a weapon, whether it be punching, kicking, or turning into a squid.
The Inkbrush being all the ariels was mainly to give the Inklings some kind of close-quarters attack. The focus is range but i did not want them to be 100% range. Like i said previously i did think about making the Splattershot an ariel as well but worried it would take too many of the moves. A bit hypocritical i guess when the Inkbrush takes up 4/5 moves true, but you could imagine it as martial arts. The Inklings never perform martial arts in their game and while it could be made up for smash (i know my regular up-tilt is made up for smash) i feel that the Inkbrush is a good equivalent. It is like they have a sword and it would not just be the same move regardless of the button press. The inklings movement and action would be different for each attack - the ariel forward and up are slashes, the back ariel is a stab and the down ariel is a sweep. With it being an inkbrush and not martial arts, it also means that ink can be spread with these moves which is a big focus of their moveset.
  • Down special should be a special crouch for when you're above ink or something, in my opinion. It's just a lot more natural and fluid there, as it is in Splatoon. In Splatoon, it's always a single button, not the combination of buttons that is down special. It's a small change, sure, but it goes a long way to making the squid form feel really natural and intuitive. Oh, and apparently the ink can be destroyed. Odd place to mention it, but ok. As for the custom down specials, ninja squid is underpowered -- no need to worry about "stealth" when the camera zooms in and out depending on where you are; heck, this would put you at a disadvantage since you can't see where you are as easily -- and the kraken is out of character. And still kinda underpowered. It should be a final smash or something.
Sorry for the odd placement of the ink being destroyed. Maybe i should amend the article to mention it earlier. First off, i actually i agree that down-B may not be the best place for the squid form. My reason for putting it there is that involved going down and i wanted the roller to be the standard special because it involves holding a button down and that was easier to do there. However, thinking about it more, it makes more sense for squid to be a one button transformation so it is quicker to do so i may swap the roller and squid input around. Thanks for bringing it up.

Now about the customs, i think they are fine given the nature of customs in smash. The camera does zoom out if you go to far away but i does not zoom in close enough that it becomes nonsensical to be well hidden. Your opponents may realize you are close because it zoomed in but he does not know if you are coming from the front or behind. Besides, if you are getting that close to the opponent then it likely means you are going to attack so the surprise comes from how quickly you act. Suddenly the camera zooms in and you jump out of the ink and open fire before your opponent had time to register that you were even that close. The Kraken on the other hand, fits in with the idea that one custom is a stronger, slower version of your normal attack. While i know the Kraken is a special and so odd as just a regular squid, liberties have been taken before with movesets in smash and i feel that the Inkzooka makes for a better final smash.
  • The ink isn't really a major focus. You use it for all of two moves: down special and down smash. While down special would indeed be one of, if not the most used move in the set, that's still only two moves out of 20+. In Splatoon, ink is the sole deciding factor for who wins and who loses -- at least, in turf wars and splat zones. Thus, it seems out of character to have it only show up in two moves in any meaningful way. Have it power up your attacks, or make the animations faster, or increase the damage, or something.
It could potentially have you run faster if you are on the ink but i think it detracts from the point of the Ink. The ink is there to help the player land surprise attacks. You would hide in the ink a lot and by pressing an attack button while in the ink will allow you to instantly jump out and perform that attack. This alone makes the Inklings very strong as you can quickly appear and then disappear before your opponents get time to hit you. The main focus of Smash and Splatoon is different so the main focus of the Ink needs to shift accordingly. The hide-and-seek mechanic of the ink blends well into smash but not every move requires its use. In my opinion: better players will use it to its full extent, the quicker and sneaky movements for surprise range attacks while catching opponents off-guard; average players will likely use it just for retreating or dodging incoming projectiles while bad players will not use the ink at all. Rather than force the use of ink in every move, i have left it up to the player to decide how they want to best utilize the Inklings main mechanic.

But thank you for the criticism, it helped me realize something that can make future moveset ideas better and more accurate to how Sakurai might make them. :)

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Heres a solution.

Ink slows enemies and inkling can move better inside it. But when ink does an squid dodge inside it. It sucks up the ink and the area traversed is uninked so that ink is replenished.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I have the same thought on the Ink tank, i was hesitant about putting it in at first. I think my big worry was that the Inklings might have been too powerful and so needed something to nerf them but it is a bit of a roundabout solution. It also limits the amount of Ink that can be on the field at one time which could help from a technical standpoint and, again, acts like a nerf.
It's a solution to the problem, but not the best solution. Never settle for just "good enough". Rather than limiting uses of moves -- which is really Robin's thing, but more on that later -- why not, say, make the ones that lay down the most ink more of a hassle, and make attacks in general underpowered unless they're in ink -- like Popo without Nana, or Rosalina without Luma? It would simultaneously A) balance the character, B) be more elegant than the ink tank mechanic, and C) tie in wonderfully to the Inkling's central theme and mechanics. I'll be touching on this subject throughout the post, so read all of it before replying to a section individually.
This was a question of being overpowered as well. The idea of the Ink was about giving the inklings a place to hide and move undetected rather than slowing opponents down. It could work in that way but with the amount of ink that the player will want on the field i feel like all opponents would be at a massive disadvantage being constantly hindered. It is hard to say without play testing although one positive is that it would give opponents more of a reason to use their down attacks to destroy the ink.
Like most things in movesetting, it is pretty hard to tell. Nevertheless, we sure can speculate! I think something as simple as reducing movement speed and adding lag to jumps (not attacks; that'd make it a tad broken, since it's even harder to destroy the ink) could go a long way here.
I do not think the Splattershot should be a neutral special as it is such a indispensable part of the moveset that i think it fits the standard moves more. I did debat whether i should have them use the splattershot for their ariel as well but worried there would be to many of their attacks taken up by it.
If it's "indispensable", then what's so bad about having it as a special move? It's available at all times, would have more versatility -- aside from using it in the air, you could also perhaps aim it, walk with it, etc -- and actually fit in well on a special input. I don't really see the Splattershot as "indispensable" anyway -- it's just one of many optional weapon choices in Splatoon.
As for the Inklings character i would disagree. I would say the Inkling is entirely a projectile based character in Splatoon due to the nature of the game as a 3rd person shooter, even if the objective is different from most 3rd person shooters. All of the Inklings moves in that game are ranged with the exception of the rollers. I also disagree that it would take away the focus off the ink, if anything it is easier to spread ink around when it is being fired at range rather than close-quarters. It allows the Inkling to get the ink far ahead of them and then quickly swim through it to reach opponents quicker.

Again, i disagree on the idea that the Inklings are not about projectiles for the reasons above.
Inklings do use projectiles a lot, but that doesn't mean that it's their central theme. Things characters do should not be confused with their central theme; otherwise, the moveset often gets cluttered and unfocused. To illustrate this, let's take a look at a Smash moveset.

:4luigi:. We all know the guy. He's clumsy, awkward, and yet strangely charming. His most prominent starring role is in the Luigi's Mansion series, where he uses the Poltergust a lot. So you'd think that he'd use it a lot in Smash, right? Wrong. It's just a Final Smash. Why? Here's why.

Aside from the fact that Smash 64 came out before Luigi's Mansion -- sorta irrelevant I suppose since they've changed Luigi a bunch as-is, but I digress -- the Poltergust is in no way Luigi's central theme as a character. Luigi's theme is being clumsy, awkward, and yet likeable all the way through. That's Luigi. That's his core theme. And that's what Smash plays off of beautifully. His animations, his movement, his recovery, his hitbox placement, everything about him is just... awkward, but if players master this awkwardness, then great things can come of it. Heck, he's pretty high on the tiers right now. (inb4 patch) Having the Poltergust as a central theme would, at this point, either A) take away from Luigi's theme of being awkward, or B) make the set lose focus by trying -- and likely failing -- to focus on two different core themes at once, which just doesn't work most of the time.

How does this apply to the Inkling? Simple, just replace being awkward with managing turf -- the core idea of Splatoon's gameplay -- and the Poltergust with projectiles. That's not to say that projectiles couldn't have a decent presence in the Inkling's moveset, but it shouldn't be anything like a central theme.
As for the novelty of the dash attack going in reverse, i think it can only work in range. The main point of a dash attack would be to hit the opponent in front of you but a regular dash with the Inklings, who prioritize in range, would put them at a disadvantage by making them up close and susceptible to grabs. With this particular dash attack you could keep the range but still get the desired effect of attacking someone in front. As for the going backwards with the attack it is part of mind games. If you are being chased by another player it can act as a backwards dodge while having the added benefit of attacking in front. However it can also act as a detriment for players who forget they will go back, pushing the backwards into enemy attacks or bombs.
I don't think that it could only work as a ranged attack. Heck, the Inkling has some tools that lend itself pretty well to this! I.e., ink and the squid form. Sure, you could simply dash behind someone regularly, but a far better strategy would be to just squid right underneath them, like a dash crouch of some sort. Then, once you're dashing out of range of most attacks, you can leap backwards -- possibly in squid form or something -- dealing damage. If they shield or dodge, however, you will likely get punished. At the same time, you could, rather than using the dash attack, just wait for them to shield or dodge, and then punish. And a bunch of other stuff that you probably know about and I won't get into here.
Also there is no particular reason for the Splatterscope. It could be replaced with any charger. I just liked the design in comparison to the regular splat charger. It had a little bit more on it, you know?
I see. :p
The Inkbrush being all the ariels was mainly to give the Inklings some kind of close-quarters attack. The focus is range but i did not want them to be 100% range. Like i said previously i did think about making the Splattershot an ariel as well but worried it would take too many of the moves. A bit hypocritical i guess when the Inkbrush takes up 4/5 moves true, but you could imagine it as martial arts. The Inklings never perform martial arts in their game and while it could be made up for smash (i know my regular up-tilt is made up for smash) i feel that the Inkbrush is a good equivalent. It is like they have a sword and it would not just be the same move regardless of the button press. The inklings movement and action would be different for each attack - the ariel forward and up are slashes, the back ariel is a stab and the down ariel is a sweep. With it being an inkbrush and not martial arts, it also means that ink can be spread with these moves which is a big focus of their moveset.
The Inkling never performs martial arts in the game, but neither do Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Link, Rosalina, Luma, Villager, et cetera. Martial arts never hurt, even if the character never used them -- anyone can punch and kick. At least, in a fighting game they can.

It doesn't have to be just punches and kicks, though. Get creative. I'll once again refer to my Inkling moveset. The standards and most aerials are martial arts -- save for Forward Aerial. However, look at the set and you won't see a single punch or kick (with one exception). Instead, the martial arts consist of things unique to Inkling. The jab, ledge attack, back aerial, and pummel all involve slapping people with the two tentacles on the Inkling's head. It's a unique part of the character, and a good way to incorporate martial arts without getting too generic. The forward tilt is that exception I told you about earlier. While it is a kick, it also involves the Inkling's head tentacles -- read the set for more info on that if you're interested. The down aerial and dash attack involve the squid form, another unique form of martial arts. Finally, the rest of the standards and aerials use the Inkling's most unique trait -- its ability to create ink. Whether it's shooting ink out of both palms Spider-Man style at the ground, or shooting it upwards to attack opponents above itself with a windbox, ink is still very present in the standards. A little creativity goes a long way.
Sorry for the odd placement of the ink being destroyed. Maybe i should amend the article to mention it earlier. First off, i actually i agree that down-B may not be the best place for the squid form. My reason for putting it there is that involved going down and i wanted the roller to be the standard special because it involves holding a button down and that was easier to do there. However, thinking about it more, it makes more sense for squid to be a one button transformation so it is quicker to do so i may swap the roller and squid input around. Thanks for bringing it up.
No problem! :)
Now about the customs, i think they are fine given the nature of customs in smash. The camera does zoom out if you go to far away but i does not zoom in close enough that it becomes nonsensical to be well hidden. Your opponents may realize you are close because it zoomed in but he does not know if you are coming from the front or behind. Besides, if you are getting that close to the opponent then it likely means you are going to attack so the surprise comes from how quickly you act. Suddenly the camera zooms in and you jump out of the ink and open fire before your opponent had time to register that you were even that close. The Kraken on the other hand, fits in with the idea that one custom is a stronger, slower version of your normal attack. While i know the Kraken is a special and so odd as just a regular squid, liberties have been taken before with movesets in smash and i feel that the Inkzooka makes for a better final smash.
Fair enough. It doesn't really matter too much in the end, since customs are (inexplicably) not given to DLC characters.
It could potentially have you run faster if you are on the ink but i think it detracts from the point of the Ink. The ink is there to help the player land surprise attacks. You would hide in the ink a lot and by pressing an attack button while in the ink will allow you to instantly jump out and perform that attack. This alone makes the Inklings very strong as you can quickly appear and then disappear before your opponents get time to hit you. The main focus of Smash and Splatoon is different so the main focus of the Ink needs to shift accordingly. The hide-and-seek mechanic of the ink blends well into smash but not every move requires its use. In my opinion: better players will use it to its full extent, the quicker and sneaky movements for surprise range attacks while catching opponents off-guard; average players will likely use it just for retreating or dodging incoming projectiles while bad players will not use the ink at all. Rather than force the use of ink in every move, i have left it up to the player to decide how they want to best utilize the Inklings main mechanic.
Yes, the ink is there to help you land surprise attacks. You've got the surprise part covered with the quick, subtle movement, but what about the attack part of that? The surprise part makes them rather potent, sure, but it is sorta just a dodge roll, except you're vulnerable, less visible, and have more control. In my opinion, that's not really enough to justify a whole mechanic over. You say that the focus of the ink should shift. I agree with this. However, you don't seem to be really shifting the focus of ink here. It's still used for mobility and mobility alone -- whether it be speeding yourself up or slowing opponents down -- just like in Splatoon. That fits Splatoon, since you need to get around quickly in that game, to get to the [uninked turf/splat zone/tower/rainmaker] in order to win. However, in Smash, that is simply not the case. Attacking people is the only way to win here -- given your opponent doesn't self destruct. Thus, if you want ink to be as beneficial and crucial to the Inkling here as it is in Splatoon, you should enhance not only movement, but attacks as well.

I'm not saying that the use of ink should be forced, but that doesn't mean that it can't assist attacks. Let's talk about themes again. Let's look at Robin, Olimar, Rosalina, and the Ice Climbers. These four characters, along with the Inkling, all have something in common. See it? They all focus around managing some sort of resource. Whether it's tomes or a teammate, Inkling's ink actually has quite a few parallels in the world of Smash. Knowing this, let's see how these characters' resources -- their core themes -- are used in their movesets, so that we can find out where the Inkling fits in. We'll go in order.

Olimar. You need his Pikmin for his smashes, aerials, grab game, and one of his specials. However, his standards, nair, and recovery are left intact whether or not you have Pikmin. This is important. Olimar is severely nerfed without Pikmin, but he's not completely useless. He's got the best time on the ground in this situation, since A) he has all his standards available to him, and B) that's where his Pikmin Pluck can be used. He uses his standards to get rid of opponents while he gets his resource back. His recovery helps him get back to the stage and pluck Pikmin. If Olimar needed Pikmin for his recovery, then he'd be worthless once his Pikmin were dispatched. However, the recovery instead adds another layer to the management of resources by rewarding having fewer Pikmin in your squad. This leads to an interesting decision -- do you keep your Pikmin for attacks once you get back at the cost of a worse -- and riskier -- recovery, or do you sacrifice them confident that you can get them back once you land? In summary, Olimar is a character who wants Pikmin -- and does indeed need them in order to win, but he's not worthless without them, as he can get them back easily enough depending on the situation.

Next up, we have Robin. He can only use each tome so many times, and then he can't use that move until they regenerate. His specials are self-explanatory, and what I said about Olimar still having his standards and such also applies here. What I'm more interested in are the aerials. They very much tie into his resource management -- the Levin sword can only be used X amount of times, but powers up Robin's attacks. The resource isn't necessary for the attacks; rather, it enhances the attacks. If you have a Levin sword, your aerials -- and smashes for that matter -- are more powerful, but they can still be used without it. In summary, Robin's aerials and smashes are better if he has the Levin sword, but he can still use them without it -- just a much worse version.

Finally, we have the duo of duos, Rosaluma and the Ice Climbers. I'll group these guys -- and gals -- together, since the basic idea is the same. You have a teammate, who enhances your attacks by attacking alongside you, but if you lose them, you're far below average. A similar idea to what I said for Robin applies here. These characters are far better off with their teammates, with their moves being powered up dramatically, and both have more options beyond that -- Rosaluma by using the Luma Shot to use Luma remotely and at a distance, or the Ice Climbers with desynching and all that.

So that's great and all, but how exactly does this apply to the Inkling? Well, I feel that these characters can all help us understand how the Inkling should interact with ink. It should be a valuable resource, something that every Inkling player will want to use. It should greatly aid gameplay, from mobility to attack power, range, etc, and the Inkling should be usable, albeit underpowered, without it. Maybe a few moves should be exclusive to ink, but most of them should be usable outside of it, albeit severely nerfed. While it may seem like we're copying these characters a bit, the nature of ink itself makes Inkling very unique. Ink is essentially a zone that Inkling controls. Whereas tomes, Pikmin, and partners follow you wherever you go, the ink is stationary. Thus, Inkling's poor mobility without ink becomes a crucial part of the playstyle, as it becomes a challenge to get back to your ink if you're on the other side of the stage, or in the air. Speaking of which, aerial combat. Seeing as how ink can only exist on the ground (and walls and ceilings), Inkling should be rather bad in the air. Not quite as much so as Little Mac, but it shouldn't be a strong point by any means. The majority of the moves should also play into the ink mechanic. Aside from the basic "this attack is stronger if you're in ink", attacks should also spread ink themselves. At least, a lot of them should. The weapons are obvious in this regard; they spread ink no matter what. But what if the standards only spread ink if you're already in ink? Then it becomes much easier to expand your territory if there's already some in the area, much like how the added mobility helps you to accomplish this in Splatoon. Even if the move is just a kick or something, what if the ink from the ground stuck on the foot and got sprayed forward, just like how you shake your roller in Splatoon? Needless to say, there's a lot of potential here. And that's one of the reasons why the Inkling is my most wanted DLC character.

In conclusion, the Inkling should be a character that wants ink on the ground at all times. Without ink, it has poor mobility, attack power, and some trouble spreading ink. In ink, however, attack power is greatly increased, mobility is enhanced, the opponent is slower and more vulnerable, it's easier to spread more ink, and in short, you've got the home field advantage. While projectiles should have a presence in the moveset, they shouldn't be the focus, as they're not the central theme. Rather, the ink should be the biggest part of the character, as it's both unique and true to the Inkling's game and character. At the end of the day, though, no matter what moveset they have, I think we can all agree that the Inkling would be really freakin' cool in Smash Bros.
But thank you for the criticism, it helped me realize something that can make future moveset ideas better and more accurate to how Sakurai might make them. :)
No problem! :) I really enjoyed writing this post, analyzing things, and all that.

Last edited:

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
If it's "indispensable", then what's so bad about having it as a special move? It's available at all times, would have more versatility -- aside from using it in the air, you could also perhaps aim it, walk with it, etc -- and actually fit in well on a special input. I don't really see the Splattershot as "indispensable" anyway -- it's just one of many optional weapon choices in Splatoon.
There main weapon should be the splattershot because it is the weapon they often get highlighted with the most. That kind of weapon is what they use in story mode and are shown off most in media. It is the same reason why the female inkling would be the default, similar to male robin. These are the ones that got the most focus originally by the team.

Also, if we are swapping the roller input for the squid input then the squid transformation deserves a spot much more as a special than the Splattershot. If the splattershot was made a special then it would be relegated to either side B or down B and i do not think either fit it very well, at least not as well as standard which has shown with mega man to work.

Inklings do use projectiles a lot, but that doesn't mean that it's their central theme. Things characters do should not be confused with their central theme; otherwise, the moveset often gets cluttered and unfocused. To illustrate this, let's take a look at a Smash moveset.
Just because the inklings are a projectile heavy character does not mean it is their central theme. They are characters from a third person shooter who spread ink around and fight almost exclusively from a distance. This is what gets moved over to smash and represents their series best imo. They are not exclusively ranged in both in my moveset and in splatoon but it is still a large part of the character.

I don't think that it could only work as a ranged attack. Heck, the Inkling has some tools that lend itself pretty well to this! I.e., ink and the squid form. Sure, you could simply dash behind someone regularly, but a far better strategy would be to just squid right underneath them, like a dash crouch of some sort. Then, once you're dashing out of range of most attacks, you can leap backwards -- possibly in squid form or something -- dealing damage. If they shield or dodge, however, you will likely get punished. At the same time, you could, rather than using the dash attack, just wait for them to shield or dodge, and then punish. And a bunch of other stuff that you probably know about and I won't get into here.
These are things that could be done with the dash attack i agree. The inklings special side-B when they are in ink could be made into their dash as well. Tbh, the focus of their dash for me was more the charger weapon because i felt it was odd to ignore only one of the inklings main weapons but had no where else it could go. The being pushed back was more of an after thought that made it more unique. But if you want the force of going back to damage people then it could be made into a damaging move as well, where hitting them with the charger shot does the most damage but you can damage them a little by bumping into them when you go backwards.

The Inkling never performs martial arts in the game, but neither do Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Link, Rosalina, Luma, Villager, et cetera. Martial arts never hurt, even if the character never used them -- anyone can punch and kick. At least, in a fighting game they can.

It doesn't have to be just punches and kicks, though. Get creative. I'll once again refer to my Inkling moveset. The standards and most aerials are martial arts -- save for Forward Aerial. However, look at the set and you won't see a single punch or kick (with one exception). Instead, the martial arts consist of things unique to Inkling. The jab, ledge attack, back aerial, and pummel all involve slapping people with the two tentacles on the Inkling's head. It's a unique part of the character, and a good way to incorporate martial arts without getting too generic. The forward tilt is that exception I told you about earlier. While it is a kick, it also involves the Inkling's head tentacles -- read the set for more info on that if you're interested. The down aerial and dash attack involve the squid form, another unique form of martial arts. Finally, the rest of the standards and aerials use the Inkling's most unique trait -- its ability to create ink. Whether it's shooting ink out of both palms Spider-Man style at the ground, or shooting it upwards to attack opponents above itself with a windbox, ink is still very present in the standards. A little creativity goes a long way.
I think the fact that the inklings are represented primarily with weapons is why martial arts may not be the best. With all the characters listed, i would not say Villager does martial arts and link only does it for some ariels, the rest is using his sword to attack. In my move set the inklings Up-tilt is a close combat attack and i at one point debated making their down-tilt one as well. I thought about the squids using their tentacle hair to attack but this raises another issue. The boy squid has his hair tied up. Having this as an attack that works for both genders would require different animations for the male squid and i do not think they would go that extra mile for it.

It's a solution to the problem, but not the best solution. Never settle for just "good enough". Rather than limiting uses of moves -- which is really Robin's thing, but more on that later -- why not, say, make the ones that lay down the most ink more of a hassle, and make attacks in general underpowered unless they're in ink -- like Popo without Nana, or Rosalina without Luma? It would simultaneously A) balance the character, B) be more elegant than the ink tank mechanic, and C) tie in wonderfully to the Inkling's central theme and mechanics. I'll be touching on this subject throughout the post, so read all of it before replying to a section individually.

Yes, the ink is there to help you land surprise attacks. You've got the surprise part covered with the quick, subtle movement, but what about the attack part of that? The surprise part makes them rather potent, sure, but it is sorta just a dodge roll, except you're vulnerable, less visible, and have more control. In my opinion, that's not really enough to justify a whole mechanic over. You say that the focus of the ink should shift. I agree with this. However, you don't seem to be really shifting the focus of ink here. It's still used for mobility and mobility alone -- whether it be speeding yourself up or slowing opponents down -- just like in Splatoon. That fits Splatoon, since you need to get around quickly in that game, to get to the [uninked turf/splat zone/tower/rainmaker] in order to win. However, in Smash, that is simply not the case. Attacking people is the only way to win here -- given your opponent doesn't self destruct. Thus, if you want ink to be as beneficial and crucial to the Inkling here as it is in Splatoon, you should enhance not only movement, but attacks as well.

So that's great and all, but how exactly does this apply to the Inkling? Well, I feel that these characters can all help us understand how the Inkling should interact with ink. It should be a valuable resource, something that every Inkling player will want to use. It should greatly aid gameplay, from mobility to attack power, range, etc, and the Inkling should be usable, albeit underpowered, without it. Maybe a few moves should be exclusive to ink, but most of them should be usable outside of it, albeit severely nerfed. While it may seem like we're copying these characters a bit, the nature of ink itself makes Inkling very unique. Ink is essentially a zone that Inkling controls. Whereas tomes, Pikmin, and partners follow you wherever you go, the ink is stationary. Thus, Inkling's poor mobility without ink becomes a crucial part of the playstyle, as it becomes a challenge to get back to your ink if you're on the other side of the stage, or in the air. Speaking of which, aerial combat. Seeing as how ink can only exist on the ground (and walls and ceilings), Inkling should be rather bad in the air. Not quite as much so as Little Mac, but it shouldn't be a strong point by any means. The majority of the moves should also play into the ink mechanic. Aside from the basic "this attack is stronger if you're in ink", attacks should also spread ink themselves. At least, a lot of them should. The weapons are obvious in this regard; they spread ink no matter what. But what if the standards only spread ink if you're already in ink? Then it becomes much easier to expand your territory if there's already some in the area, much like how the added mobility helps you to accomplish this in Splatoon. Even if the move is just a kick or something, what if the ink from the ground stuck on the foot and got sprayed forward, just like how you shake your roller in Splatoon? Needless to say, there's a lot of potential here. And that's one of the reasons why the Inkling is my most wanted DLC character.
So here is an idea, i mentioned in my article that when the inkling runs out of ink they could still attack but it would be pathetic. This was to stop the situation where the inkling is out of ink but can not refill because the enemy has cleared away all the ink. What if, the more ink they have in their cannister the stronger they are. This would mean that the more they attack, the weaker they get but by jumping in ink they will get powered up back to their stronger form. This puts emphasis on the ink to spread their ink so they have more refill points but also to use the ink for surprise attacks, because by staying within the Ink they will always remain at their prime. It is almost punishing to people playing the inklings to be left outside of their controlled zones because they will get weaker. This also gives opponents more emphasis to destroy the ink because they can weaken their opponents that way. I still do not think the ink should affect opponents because there are too many problems with it. If the inkling covers everywhere with their ink and it affects mobility then opponents would almost always be left in a state where they can not do anything. If they clear the ink away, then more will just be placed down and it would not be fun for them.

I also agree the inklings would be weaker in the air but that is where physical moves come in to push away up close attackers. You could replace the inkbrush with kicks if you wanted, but with the inkbrush you can also spread ink so i thought it was a more viable option.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
There main weapon should be the splattershot because it is the weapon they often get highlighted with the most. That kind of weapon is what they use in story mode and are shown off most in media. It is the same reason why the female inkling would be the default, similar to male robin. These are the ones that got the most focus originally by the team.
If it's their main weapon, then why not just make it Neutral Special? Having a projectile be a standard attack is just tacky, unless the fighter is entirely/mostly based around projectiles, like Mega Man or the Mii Gunner.
Also, if we are swapping the roller input for the squid input then the squid transformation deserves a spot much more as a special than the Splattershot. If the splattershot was made a special then it would be relegated to either side B or down B and i do not think either fit it very well, at least not as well as standard which has shown with mega man to work.
Or, the squid form could be a crouch for when you're standing on your own ink. That'd be a lot simpler, and allow the Inkling to have a wider arsenal. Plus, as I said, having a projectile standard is just tacky more often than not. Mega Man does it because he's all about projectiles. The Inkling isn't all about projectiles; their focus is on ink.
Just because the inklings are a projectile heavy character does not mean it is their central theme. They are characters from a third person shooter who spread ink around and fight almost exclusively from a distance. This is what gets moved over to smash and represents their series best imo. They are not exclusively ranged in both in my moveset and in splatoon but it is still a large part of the character.
If it's not a central theme, then why is it on a standard attack? "The character uses projectiles a lot" isn't a reason for them to be on the standards. Look at, say, Toon Link. His playstyle has a pretty heavy focus on projectiles, but they're still kept to the specials. Smashes, I feel, are also a good place for projectiles, since they're not basic attacks or anything. That's what standards should be really; the character's most basic attacks. Slapping someone with your head tentacles or punching and kicking is more basic than a projectile, and thus a better fit for a standard attack.
These are things that could be done with the dash attack i agree. The inklings special side-B when they are in ink could be made into their dash as well. Tbh, the focus of their dash for me was more the charger weapon because i felt it was odd to ignore only one of the inklings main weapons but had no where else it could go. The being pushed back was more of an after thought that made it more unique. But if you want the force of going back to damage people then it could be made into a damaging move as well, where hitting them with the charger shot does the most damage but you can damage them a little by bumping into them when you go backwards.
I feel that the Splat Charger would be best as a side smash, since you need to charge it and all. That's how it is in my set, anyway.
I think the fact that the inklings are represented primarily with weapons is why martial arts may not be the best. With all the characters listed, i would not say Villager does martial arts and link only does it for some ariels, the rest is using his sword to attack. In my move set the inklings Up-tilt is a close combat attack and i at one point debated making their down-tilt one as well. I thought about the squids using their tentacle hair to attack but this raises another issue. The boy squid has his hair tied up. Having this as an attack that works for both genders would require different animations for the male squid and i do not think they would go that extra mile for it.
I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that the Inklings could use their abilities to attack without using a weapon. They always use weapons in Splatoon, sure, but that's mainly because the gameplay calls for it; you're fighting for control of a large area, so a gun or paint roller is objectively better. However, Smash's gameplay style means that long-ranged and short-ranged attacks are just as good as one another, and weaker attacks can make up for this with speed. My point is, in a turf war, an Inkling would have no reason to use martial arts; they'd be at a disadvantage, even. In Smash, however, it becomes a viable strategy. Even if this wasn't the case, Smash is known to bend the rules a bit with things like this.

As for the boy Inkling's tentacles and all, in my set, I just have it so that the boy makes tentacles out of ink for a split second. Whether or not they'd go the extra mile for something is irrelevant; this is your set. Make it how you want it. That's the fun of all this.
So here is an idea, i mentioned in my article that when the inkling runs out of ink they could still attack but it would be pathetic. This was to stop the situation where the inkling is out of ink but can not refill because the enemy has cleared away all the ink. What if, the more ink they have in their cannister the stronger they are. This would mean that the more they attack, the weaker they get but by jumping in ink they will get powered up back to their stronger form. This puts emphasis on the ink to spread their ink so they have more refill points but also to use the ink for surprise attacks, because by staying within the Ink they will always remain at their prime. It is almost punishing to people playing the inklings to be left outside of their controlled zones because they will get weaker. This also gives opponents more emphasis to destroy the ink because they can weaken their opponents that way. I still do not think the ink should affect opponents because there are too many problems with it. If the inkling covers everywhere with their ink and it affects mobility then opponents would almost always be left in a state where they can not do anything. If they clear the ink away, then more will just be placed down and it would not be fun for them.
So, basically what I said but with an ink tank. What does the ink tank add here? The moveset isn't any deeper because of it, and all it actually adds is a need for Inkling to dive into ink all the time -- which would also be accomplished by having their regular mobility be really bad. Sure, you could make it so that it refilled their meter, but there are more elegant means to accomplish the end you're talking about. Inkling would be encouraged to be in ink if the attacks were just straight-up more powerful when you're in ink, and your squid dive is faster than your regular movement. There's no need to tack on an extra mechanic here. If you want the Inkling to be good in ink and bad outside of it, just directly power up the attacks. No need to add an ink tank in between.

I'm not saying that opponents would be slowed down to the point that they can't do anything; just a bit slower. It wouldn't be game breaking or anything.
I also agree the inklings would be weaker in the air but that is where physical moves come in to push away up close attackers. You could replace the inkbrush with kicks if you wanted, but with the inkbrush you can also spread ink so i thought it was a more viable option.
Fair enough. I'd prefer some more visual variety -- maybe with different weapons or something -- but the aerials are functional as-is.

This discussion has given me the inspiration to rewrite my old Inkling set, by the way, with a new writing style, different formatting, and new mechanics, attacks, et cetera. I'll post here when it's finished! :)

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I never expected a Transformers Splatfest. I wonder if this means we'll be getting other Splatfesfs with teams from other franchises as well.
BTW, #TeamAutobot.

Last edited:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
I think in that linked moveset the squid had a different side b to attack with. Otherwise, I understand and agree with what you're saying.
It's saying "buy more amiibos" over and over again.

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
PC or Mac?
Reshiram or Zekrom?
Hoshido or Nohr?
The oppositions will always be perfect for Splatfest.
I never expected a Transformers Splatfest. I wonder if this means we'll be getting other Splatfesfs with teams from other franchises as well.
BTW, #TeamAutobot.
Star Wars should have a Splatfest!

Galactic Empire vs Rebel Alliance!

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Superman. Its so easy. Batman would be dead in a second lol. inb4 arguments and flame wars.
Doesn't Batman carry a piece of kryptonite on him, just in case Superman got out of line? Batman's a genius, though, he knows how to exploit his enemys' weaknesses.

Anyhow, I'm in favor of Inkling for Smash. Splatoon is such an awesome and addicting game! Too bad I don't have any friends, though...but at least I have somewhat of a moveset in mind. Still have to prepare it, though.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Doesn't Batman carry a piece of kryptonite on him, just in case Superman got out of line? Batman's a genius, though, he knows how to exploit his enemys' weaknesses.

Anyhow, I'm in favor of Inkling for Smash. Splatoon is such an awesome and addicting game! Too bad I don't have any friends, though...but at least I have somewhat of a moveset in mind. Still have to prepare it, though.
I think this video could explain better why Superman would destroy Batman than me.
Also are you new on the Inkling support thread. If so, welcome!

HanAmes

Smash Ace
I think this video could explain better why Superman would destroy Batman than me.
Also are you new on the Inkling support thread. If so, welcome!
Thanks for having me onboard!

And it seems that Supes is pretty much auto-win outside of his own universe. I mean, if you can beat Goku, then you're pretty much OP.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
In terms of popularity I think Batman and Superman come pretty close to each other. So for a Splatfest it wouldn't be a blowout.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
When do you guys think they'll release the bridge map? I'm really looking forward to it.

Edit: Might as well add more Inkling centric comments to the discussion. If the Inklings get into smash, I wonder how their amiibos will compare to their Splatoon counterparts. The Splatoon amiibos are some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
When do you guys think they'll release the bridge map? I'm really looking forward to it.

Edit: Might as well add more Inkling centric comments to the discussion. If the Inklings get into smash, I wonder how their amiibos will compare to their Splatoon counterparts. The Splatoon amiibos are some of my favorites.
There's a bridge map, could you show me?

As a person who wasn't able to buy the inkling amiibo(not from lack of wanting but a inability to find them without paying an absurd amount for them),if they got into smash, i hope that their amiibo are super common so that everyone can have one. in terms of actual quality in comparison to the splatoon ones, i think they they will be more cheaply made.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman

Their pose will hoepfully be different along with a Smash base. I'm pretty sure we'd only get the Inkling girl though.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
What if we got a Splatfest that was (Wanted Smash Character) vs (Other Wanted Smash Character) with no further context given?

Like, we got Isaac vs K. Rool for no apparent reason. What would you think?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Surprised no one posted this here yet. The inklings are still going strong in Japan, even if the Mii Fighter outfits exists. Which is another sign that Mii Fighters don't completely deconfirm characters.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/
Source Gaming said:
Inklings have sizable support too. I witnessed strong support in my first results– before their game had come out, and the support has only grown in time. A lot of users felt the Inklings are imminent. Like K. Rool, I still need to see if the situation has changed since the costume.

EDIT: Unless he means that he still has to check if they've changed since K. Rool's costume. In which case, nevermind. :p

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You're right, I simply overlooked that part. He said that the numbers should be done in 1.5 to 3 weeks from now. That way, we'll get a good idea of where the Inklings and K. Rool are. It's going to be a long wait until then since he had been busy lately.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
This might seem weird but do you guys think the inklings have a chance to make in the game as a pre-balot DLC Chraracter?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
This might seem weird but do you guys think the inklings have a chance to make in the game as a pre-balot DLC Chraracter?
After Ryu, anything's possible in my eyes. :p

With Splatoon's sudden surge in popularity lately, it'd make sense. I'm just not sure if there'd be enough time to develop the character since the game's release. We first found out about Roy and Ryu in April, and they were released in June. That's about two months -- although it's possible that they were in development a bit before then. Splatoon came out in May, so I suppose it's possible. However, I will say that while Mii costumes don't mean anything about ballot characters, pre-ballot characters might be a different story.

Top Bottom