• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Individual Character Poll: (Poll Extravaganza BOOM BOOM! Top 10 Most Voted!)

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Even so, Wolf was still the most voted in the initial 2014 post-release poll on SmashBoards, followed by K. Rool and Lucas.

So it seems weird to me that he's taken a noticeable hit in the west while others have flourished.
Post release however Pre-Smash Ballot which definitely would influence what people would have thought is possible. If anyone had said Ryu DLC was possible you would have been laughed at back in October.

Post launch we knew Mewtwo was coming but had no confirmation DLC beyond that was even going to be a thing and since Mewtwo was a veteran returning the same thought would have gone to Wolf at that time.

While the momentum from Just Mewtwo to Anything is possible being DLC definitely has mixed things up but Wolf has remained Top 3 consistently.

yes: Balloon Fighter, Bandana Dee, Takamaru, K rool, Ridley (top 3 most wanted), Isaac, Corrin, Sora, Ice Climbers, Paper Mario

no: Pichu, Mach Rider, Shovel Knight, Lip, Bayonetta, "RSG"

indifferent: Krystal, Wolf, Young Link

Oh hey a day where a said yes to all of them. o f course only one has a chance of being DLC . . .

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I voted Yes for Ice Climbers (not a huge fan of entire series being cut from Smash Bros.) and Indifferent on the other three (Corrin and Paper Mario could be interesting, but given how many Mario and Fire Emblem characters were added already, more seems excessive; I'd be okay with Sora, but there are plenty of Square-Enix characters who I'd like to see more).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No to Corrin, Ice Climbers and Sora. Yes to Paper Mario.

Just too early for me with Corrin, never been a fan of Ice Climbers playstyle and I'm not huge on any of the Square Enix choices. I don't see them as essential in the same way I see the other three companies.

Saenen

Smash Rookie
I actually really like the idea of Corrin, but I'd still rather see Azura with her lance, since it just seems really unique (I still voted yes for him though). I voted yes to the Ice Climbers as well, since I love their play style in both Melee and Brawl. I put indifferent for the other two, since I don't necessarily want them, but if a character is added to Smash, there's practically no way I would be mad about it. This is especially true, since I know other people want them to be included.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
No to Sora. He's a Disney character, and if Disney was going to put any character in Smash they'd put Mickey Mouse or Wreck-it-Ralph, one of the two. (I would NOT be opposed to the idea of Wreck-it-Ralph in Smash with a Fix-it-Felix Jr. stage)

....nnnnnnno? Whatever, went with Indifferent anyway on Corrin. True, I do like the idea of a dragon-blooded prince but his/her dragon form would be FS fodder anyway, and even though I'm not allergic to Fire Emblem like most people on the boards here, Azura/Aqua would get my vote for FE:F character because lance, dancer, and water powers. Hell, let her replace Lucina in the next game and let us keep Robin to represent Awakening. I like Robin's design and character a lot more than Corrin anyway.

I wouldn't be spewing fire over Corrin but I'd prefer Aqua.

No to Paper Mario. I know his paper form makes him unique and I loved Super Paper Mario to death but...three Marios? If Dr. Mario wasn't already here or an alt I would say Yes to Paper Mario.

Ice Climbers. Indifferent, I don't really care for the pair of blighters, but Smash doesn't really feel complete without them, but I'm reserved on them being impossible for Smash 4. Maybe for Smash 5.

Edit: @ Chandeelure Chandeelure

The Paper Mario hate is surprising to me, I thought he was popular.
Specially now, with Paper Jam coming.
Oh I'm sure he is. People are more on edge and leery of other characters for DLC because we all know there will only be a certain amount of characters chosen, and DLC characters are held to a higher standard than On-Disc characters. So while I'm sure Paper Mario will be highly requested for the next game, if it exists, few people want Mario #3 for DLC.

So that's why you'll see previously popular characters sometimes shift in popularity for this particular case.

Last edited:

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Yes: Bandana Dee, Lip, Pichu, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, Reckless Safety Man, Ice Climbers
No: Krystal, Wolf, Ridley, Paper Mario
Indifferent: Balloon Fighter, King K. Rool, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Young Link, Isaac. Corrin, Sora

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Corrin- No, Not when Azura and Anna exist. And as an avatar i don't think he/she is quite as cool as Robin. Then again Fates didn't come out yet so who knows.
Ice Climbers- indifferent, its not gonna happen because of technical limitations and you can't separate them because you lose their dynamic playstyle. Just wait for Smash 5
Paper Mario- No, there are other Mario characters I want more, and I doubt we'll get a 3rd Mario.
Sora- No, would rather have a black mage or Neku Sakuraba representing Square.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Interesting choices for today.
Yes for Paper Mario and Ice Climbers. Paper mario and grovyle are my most wanted. I could se so much potential in PM and really hope he joins smash bros one day! As for ice climbers, I do like them but don't play them. However, they are an icon and retro to smash, it was a shame to see them go but It was out of their control. If they could be brought back through dlc, then that be great!

As for Corrin, no. Fire emblem is perfectly fine with it's reps.

For Sora: indifferent, I like him and wouldn't mind him in smash but I am starting to want black mage more after Super Smash Flash 2 and from Final Fantasy. If square were to get a rep, I could see Cloud or Black mage happening before Sora, even though I would still see Sora as an option.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Yes:
:wolf:
:popo:

Indifferent:

No:

Ironically enough, just yesterday I wrote something up on my stance on Corrin, so I'll just post this here, because I don't feel like writing any more about him right now.
I do not like the idea of Corrin making it, not one bit. Fire Emblem has 5 reps as of now, 3 of which are fully unique characters, and two that are clones, the exact same situation as Zelda, despite not even breaking 17 Million sales. It's a bit ridiculous, no? Now, I'm not saying "Guys, let's cut all the FE reps next game!!!111!!!!!", but instead, I think we should have it be so that no more are added, for at least a few games, or until this whole representation fiasco settles itself. Once again, what makes Fire Emblem so much more special than everyone else? All the arguments for it being justified I've seen basically boil down to either "Fire Emblem isn't big yet, but it should be, so we'll make it more famous!" or "Fire Emblem has many unique characters!", to both of which I'd like to raise counterpoints.

To Fire Emblem needs more fame: I'd like to point out, that you can say this about literally any other franchise, but for some reason it's only this one franchise that this seems to be applied to. If this is to be considered a legitimate argument then what stops me from saying "Kirby should be more famous, it's quality is superior to the others, it deserves seven reps!"? That's right, absolutely nothing does, which is why this shouldn't be used as a legitimate argument, because it's basically a free pass card that applies to everyone, it doesn't make any one franchise more special than any other one.

To Fire Emblem having more unique characters: This is a often told justification as to why Fire Emblem has so many reps, but when you stand back for a bit, it stops making sense. Sure, it has more unique characters, but why should these ones get in before all the others? What makes it so that getting another FE character in is so much more important than getting say, a unique Metroid character instead? It's not like we're out of unique characters to get in smash, heck even in Kirby alone, I can name 3 potential candidates, while series like Mario and Pokemon have utter boatloads of unique characters in them.

It just really grinds my gears that Fire Emblem has gotten so much special attention, and franchises like DK have been left to rot in terms of content, for seemingly no reason. It just feels rather rude, to all the fans of those neglected franchises, to give it any more attention before them.

I'd also like to make it clear that I have nothing against Fire Emblem, but I just am against it being raised on some magical pedestal on the same level as Zelda, and higher than DK, Metroid, and Kirby.
I voted yes for the Ice Climbers, while they are unrealistic, if they can somehow come back this game, I'd be happy.

Another Yes for Paper Mario, I love the Paper Mario series, and I see so much potential in him, along with the fact that Paper Mario could definitely go for more representation right now, I think he's a winner.

I voted no to Sora, since slots are so limited right now, I'd feel a bit insulted if they went to all the trouble of getting him before more popular characters, and I just flat out don't like Sora.

Indifferent to Ridley, not because I don't care, but more or less I haven't decided whether game play reasons or giving the Metroid fanbase what they always wanted is more important to me.

I voted no to Bayonetta, reckless safety man, and Isaac. Bayonetta is far too indecent for this game in my eyes, I'd have to play blind folded whenever she's on screen just to protect my eyes. Reckless Safety Man's no is because this is Nintendo's all-star line-up not let's-add-some-random-guy the game.
I'm really not interested at all in Isaac and would prefer not to see him this game, maybe next game with less limited space I'll be a bit more welcoming, but not right now.

Voted yes for both Bandana Dee and Wolf. Bandana Dee because I'm a big Kirby fan and feel like the series should get some more representation, especially when series as small as Fire Emblem gets more than it. I Also happen to really like Bandana Dee as a character, so yeah, pretty easy to see why I'd vote yes.

Wolf, I voted yes because he's a unique fighter that only takes inspiration from Fox, and twists it into a very unique style, along with the fact that he's a popular veteran, so he should return, as it's painful to his fans who played him in brawl to not have him come back, y'know?

I voted no for Balloon Fighter for a few reasons, one being I don't see much potential, two being he isn't much of a "Character", and third, the big one, I feel adding him cheapens and profits off of Mr. Iwata's death, I get that so many people want to add him as a tribute, but I don't think Mr. Iwata himself would want anyone's vote or any of his beloved games to be swayed by his death. I'd personally find it disrespectful to Mr. Iwata if Balloon Fighter got in just because he died, it completely cheapens everything he himself loved in my honest opinion. I'd be fine with it if the vast majority of his support was from before his death or if he got in as a tribute from his colleagues, but not from people's votes being tipped due to his death. Sorry.

Voted indifferent to Takamaru, I feel like he's shafted rep wise, but I personally don't want him at all.

I voted no to Krystal, she'd be a obstacle for Wolf, and if Wolf got in too after somehow that would mean four star fox reps, something I'd rather not see. I also don't like her character at all, admittedly this is probably because I had the misfortune of playing Command as my only stair fax game, ugh that game was like a bad fanfic.

Voted no to Mach Rider, I just can't see potential other than riding a bike, and he isn't what I want.

Voted yes for Pichu because it was my secondary all the way back in melee, and I honestly prefer Pichu to Pikachu.

Voted yes for K. Rool. I was pretty shocked to learn that he didn't make the cut.

Indifferent for Lip, I'm really not quite sure, I like the character, and she's certainly unique but I'm not sure I'd be happy to see her here with such limited space. I also went indifferent for Shovel Knight as I have no real reason to like or dislike him.

I also voted no for Young Link. I really don't like the idea of three Links, and I feel Toon Link is his spiritual successor, although I do think it sucks for his fans. If he got in as a alt for Toon Link/Link I'd be fine, but not as a character.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yes: King K.Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Ice Climbers (even though there chances are pretty much zero)
Indifferent: Bandanna Dee, Krystal, Lip, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Ridley, Paper Mario
No: Young Link, Pichu, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, Reckless Safety Man, Corrin, Sora

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
Yes:
Bandana Dee

No:

Wolf, Balloon Fighter, Krystal, Mach Rider. Lip, Takumaru, Bayonetta, Isaac, Wreckless Wiimote joke character, Corin, Sora, Shovel Knight, Pichu, Paper Mario.

Indifferent:

King K. Rool, Ridley, Ice Climbers

Inb4 someone comments on my only yes being Bandana Dee and starts an argument that I am not willing to give up on.

StormC

Smash Hero
Guess I'm eating crow on Wolf/K. Rool since Wolf is leading the pack now (:coolmonke:) and Rool is falling slightly behind.

Right now it looks like it's Wolf/K. Rool/Isaac/Ridley/Bandana Dee in that order. Also @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 I dunno if it matters but some of the URLs in the OP are bolded and some aren't.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Yes: Krystal, Lip, Bandana Waddle Dee, Bayonetta, Ridley, Ice Climbers, Paper Mario
Indifferent: Mach Rider, King K. Rool, Wolf, Pichu, Balloon Fighter, Isaac, Corrin/Kamui
No: Takamaru, Young Link, Shovel Knight, Reckless Safety Man, Sora

Dark_Pit

Smash Cadet
Wow, Krystal is getting alot of hate for no apparent reason. Good thing there's no, no's in the real ballot.

The moment someone actually gives me a legitimate reason other than you being petty because "muh furry" character double-standard, ill eat this hat.

Im fine with all these characters, none will actually ruin the game for me, so i gave the ones idc for or i think dont have a chance an indifferent. Yes to the rest.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yes: King K.Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Ice Climbers, Shantae
Indifferent: Bandanna Dee, Krystal, Lip, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Ridley, Paper Mario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Prince of Sable
No: Young Link, Pichu, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, Reckless Safety Man, Corrin, Sora

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Squirtle, indifferent, we already have a lot of pokemon and Greninja serves as a water type.
Ivysaur, yes, we don't have a grass type. But in all honesty I would rather have the Pokemon trainer back.
Sable, No, I have no idea who this kid is and hes already an assist trophy.
Shantae, Yes, out of all the indie characters she deserves a spot the most.

Edit: could we make character suggestions for future polls?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yes to the two Pokemon (I'd rather not have any unique fighters cut from Smash Bros. - even if I don't play as them, someone has them as their main, and seeing as it's happened to me twice, I know how annoying it is to have a main cut), indifferent to the two others (I know little to nothing about either of them, but that's not enough to get me to say "no").

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Midna, Dark Samus, Impa? any time now...

As for today's votes...
Shantae - YES!! - My Indie pick for Smash...great moveset potential, charming character, games look pretty fun with a nice soundtrack to boot, she also has a decent history with nintendo, I think she'd fit in well with the cast...

Squirtle & Ivysaur - NO - sorry not all veteran need to come back, and without the Pokemon Trainer and transformations which was there whole gimmick to begin with, I wouldn't really want them as separate characters...

Prince Sable - INDIFFERENT - some assist trophy dude that transforms into a snake...don't know enough to dislike him, or to care really...

----

I'll update this as I post...so far I seem to be a fairly picky...
YES
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers
-King K Rool
-Ridley
-Krystal
-Shantae

INDIFFERENT
-Isaac
-Bandana Dee
-Balloon Fighter
-Mach Rider
-Takamaru
-Prince Sable

NO
-Bayonetta
-Paper Mario
-Reckless Safety Man
-Sora
-Shovel Knight
-Young Link
-Lip
-Pichu
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yes to Squirtle. The only reason being for his moveset. I liked playing as him in Brawl. Nothing more nothing less.

Indifferent to Ivysaur. Didn't like him as much as the other two Pokemon.

I'm indifferent to Sable. He has potential. But there's others I'd care about more.

Yes to Shantae. She's got the potential to be a cool character to say the least. Otherwise, she's the only "indie" character that would actually be deserving of their roster spot. She's been around since the Gameboy Color, and all of her games have been or are going to be on Nintendo systems. So the character has a strong enough history to warrant support.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Squirtle's image is so big...

Yes
7) Personal favorite: Wolf
6) "I think deserves":
5) "I would happily accept": Pichu, Young Link, Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur
4) "I wouldn't complain": BDee, Ridley
Indifferent
3) "I wouldn't care": Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Reckless Wiimote Safety Man
No
2) "I wouldn't want": Lip, Takamaru, Isaac, Kamui, Sora, Prince Sable
1) Personal Dislikes: Rest of it

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Squirtle: indifferent, I would actually kind of like it to return but not enough to vote yes.
Ivysaur: indifferent, same as Squirtle.
Prince of Sable: indifferent, no opinion about this character.
Shantae: no, far from my third-party standards, and her merits as "the most deserving indie" are way overrated imo.

Summary of my votes:
Yes: Isaac, King K. Rool, Wolf
No: Bayonetta, Corrin, Lip, Pichu, Reckless Safety Man, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Sora
Indifferent: the rest
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 could it be possible to change the pictures in Squirtle's, Sable Prince's and Shantae's poll? They are really too big.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
New votes: yes: Squirtle, Ivysaur(i loved playing as ivysaur and believe all vets with an actually uniqe moveset should come back), ShantaeNo: Sora, Corrin, Prince sable, Paper Mario

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Indifferent on Squirtle. We have a water type and Squirtle would feel redundant.

Yes to Ivysaur. My second favorite Smash'mon after Charizard, and we could use a grass type, and has vet status that Sceptile doesn't have, plus he's unique being a quadruped.

Indifferent on Prince of Sable. Not a clue in the world who he is and only known of him through 3DS AT

Yes on Shantae. She has great moveset potential and of all the indies she's the most relevant and loyal to Nintendo, and should practically be considered part of the family anyway. She'd fit great with the cast which most indies/3rd parties can't.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah Blue some of these pictures are... way big. Any way to fix that?

Top Bottom