• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm "leaving" Lucas. Why? *OLD THREAD STOP POSTING*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
As per the topic title, I'm going to stop using Lucas in tournil, and even in friendlies until I get better with my day old Snake.

The reason?

I'm going to start playing to win, and Lucas doesn't win.

I've been a dedicated Lucas main for about 8 months now. More or less since the game came out. While my skill as a player is not the best, how well I know Lucas is pretty much the peak of how you well you can know any given character, sans matchup experience. I don't have intricate knowledge of every single matchup, but I know enough to quickly figure out my options.

My first tournament was on the 28th of Sept. I lost the first round, and lost the next match in the loser's bracket. This has happened for all of the tournaments I've been to so far.

It was after the 4th tournament I decided to drop Lucas. During the tournament-after I had been eliminated-I started talking to DSF. Yeah, DSF. I live in SoCal, so seeing him at tournies is kind of common. Anyways, we talking, and he was telling me that I'm not going to get good by using Lucas. If I don't win any rounds, I won't be able to get tournament experience, which is really the only way to get good at Brawl. Lucas is garbage, pick a better character. That sort of thing.

There was an after-tourney Brawl fest, and after we had all migrated and were walking to the apartment room thingy is was at, I was still talking to DSF. About Brawl. He randomly asked "So what about School?"

I paused, and remember that my friends tell me I talk about Brawl too much.

"What about it? Homework is gay."

After he laughs about how he didn't "get" me and how he "lost", he starts calling me the next Mew2King. Mew2King 2.0. Mike Haze/Hays joins in on this too.

Yes, I'm serious. No, I thought he wasn't serious.

Well, apparently, he was serious. It turns out I'm strikingly similar to Mew2King prior to him being good. This basically amounts knowing a downright pathetic amount of information about this game, and using a low tier character.

At the next tournament at UCLA two days later, he's sort of "parading" me around. Not really calling attention to himself or me, but whenever I'm talking to him, he immediatly tells the other person/people he's talking to I'm the next Mew2King, M2K 2.0(There was a 6.0 joke because I'm so ****ing tall at 6'4), the Mew2King of West Coast Vs. the Mew2King of East Coast, the M2K of California. A few times, he asks me a random question-What about "insert character here" mainly.

A whole bunch of stuff.

I'm not ****ting you when I say I'm not making this up.

So, I've decided to learn Snake. He'll work well for me-I'll learn his traps and use them to a frightening degree in about 6 months or more. While that is a lot of time, it took me about that long to lknow Lucas like I do now.

Now, I'll still use Lucas. Just not as much. Assuming DSF is right, and I do become a super-pro like M2K(I'm seriously unsure about my abilities, but if DSF says I can, I sure as hell have a chance), I'll use Lucas to CP some characters, and go through the first rounds of a tournament as needed. Beyond that, mostly Snake.

So, as a final parting gift to you guys, I'll give an analysis of Lucas, and why he's so low on tier list. These things are probably known to most/all of you, but a refresher is never a bad thing.

Lucas is a character with a lot of utility. He has a lot of options, and they work well enough. He has big downfall. He's not like Ganon, who's heavy and slow. Or Link, who has a crap recovery. His recovery is great, his mobility is good, he's got an adequete weight, if a little on the light side.

His main downfall is that he's a character with many options, but all of them end up being not as good as the options of the high tiers. He has nothing like GaW Bair, Snake's Ftilt, MK's Tornado-those are virtually garunteed options that work on all characters regardless of circumstance. Everything he has is sub par, and the good things he has aren't enough to launch him the high tiers.

Now, to be more specifc.

Lucas has the following "Garunteed" options. There are more, but these are his most reliable IMO.

-PK Fire
-Nair
-PKT1
-Ftilt

Used smartly, you can use all of these moves and rarely be punished. PK Fire requires spacing. Nair will shield pressure, and can be "DI'd" left or right and punish rolls 100% of the time-only problem is getting in close-this means you need to approach to do it. Your aerial mobility is also great enough for you to land outside of their range. PKT1 is only applicable when you are edguarding with it, it becomes a 100% safe option. If you space Ftilt beyond the range of their Shield Grab, their only safe options are to Jump or Roll. Ftilt has IASA frames, and comes out on Frame 6. Shields take 7-9 frames to drop. With this knowledge, even jumping out of Shield becomes an iffy option. Just keep Ftilting.

These are all options that are garunteed assuming you can space yourself. His other options are more situational, but can be still be used.

Knowing this, the key to maximizing your Lucas is to use all of your options. Brickwall as much as possible. I know Lucas inside and out, and I've devised that

Keep away, keep away, keep away. Basically, camp. Lucas has among the most unique projectiles in the game.

Use them and keep the opponent in the optimum spacing area.

PK Fire Brickwalling:
This is very very common, yes. But what you should be doing is using PK Fire every time they approach. Make sure you are beyond being punished due to landing lag, and you will find matches to be easier. The goal is to do this every time you can. Even if you KNOW they can shield and get past it somehow, still use it. If they want to approach you, they have to jump through the same hoop every single time. Remember, if they shield it, you still didn't lose anything. Every fight against a Pit? Even when you shield his arrows, it still feels like you're losing. You're approaching on his terms, not your's.

PK Freeze Pressuring:
Again, known. However, it's still useful. At long range, use this to force them to approach. Use it when they're at long range period. When they approach, PK Fire them.

Nair Shield Pressuirng
Once again, we know this. Keep spamming Nair until it pokes. Use Jab too, to get them back into the range of PK Fire.

You should not be concentrating on winning the match, but keeping up your Pressure game and Brickwalls. Do this, and you'll probably win. Also, as a last thought.

LEARN YOUR KILLING OPTIONS AT ALL PERCENTS

Lucas has a good ability to poke and deal damage. If Fsmash just isn't doing the job, go back to Jabs, Nairs, and PK Fire. I'll name a random percent. 140. From here, Grab, pummel 4-5 times, then Dthrow. This is a garunteed kill on the majority of the cast. If the throw fails to kill, then just move on to Fairs, Ftilts, and Bthrow.

If a kill move fails to kill, using it a second time will most likely not work unless you don't plan to use that move to kill later on. The staling effect of moves in Brawl is ridiculous. Whenever I fail to kill, I do not use the kill move again, and go right back to damage dealing until my kill move is fresh, or until they're in the range of another kill move.

Well, that's about it. I'll still use Lucas-I love him too much to not use him. However, tourney play is most likely never gonna happen with him from here on out. Only for CPs, at that.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
It's funny, my friends (which are all really good except one) think I'm best with Ike and Lucas. These 2 just feel so right for me, even my Lucas can stand up against my friends who play Snake, Wolf and Wario.
1 move I use mostly is the d-air, which if full hopped combined with fastfall + f-smash/f-tilt makes a nice combo at the right percentages OR a good follow-up with few frames to escape from. When they're at low percentages I usually throw in a d-tilt or 2 to confuse them, which works 9/10th of the time.
I keep winning with Lucas, so I will be playing him untill I get 3-stocked.
But like you say, in tourneys he's a pain in the *** to win with, that's for sure...

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
It was after the 4th tournament I decided to drop Lucas. During the tournament-after I had been eliminated-I started talking to DSF. Yeah, DSF. I live in SoCal, so seeing him at tournies is kind of common. Anyways, we talking, and he was telling me that I'm not going to get good by using Lucas. If I don't win any rounds, I won't be able to get tournament experience, which is really the only way to get good at Brawl. Lucas is garbage, pick a better character. That sort of thing.
tell that to the people who main the other low tiers like CF, JP, Ganon. screw tiers, if your good enough you can win tourneys with Lucas possibly.

Keep away, keep away, keep away. Basically, camp. Lucas has among the most unique projectiles in the game.
yeah hes not the best at approaching but being limited to camp camp camp, is not helping, especially against characters unfazed by his projectiles.

Well, that's about it. I'll still use Lucas-I love him too much to not use him. However, tourney play is most likely never gonna happen with him from here on out. Only for CPs, at that.
poor lucas moved down to CP status for you. :(

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I don't think anyone gives a dead rat why you "left" lucas. Amidst that wall of text, "because DSF said so" is glaringly obvious.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Im sorry to hear that your not goin to use Lucas as much:(
Ive never played u before but Ive heard alot of good things about u Natch
But its possible to win tournies with Lucas(unless there r a bunch of Meta Knights, G&Ws, and Marths)
It jus depends on the player....good example in the online tourny Im currently in(i know wifi doesnt matter...lol) its one of Reo's tournies(very good online tourny btw)....the character Ive mostly been using is Lucas and Ive been winning all my matches even against characters like G&W and Marth....I just try to play smart.
But I get where your coming from...Lucas probably cant win offline tournies unless the player is a Lucas master or sumthin...Only MK and Snake can tournies...lol
Thats why I use MK too:)

Irsic

Smash Ace
Eh, if that's what does it for you.

I'd rather be the guy who goes to tournaments for fun, uses Lucas, and leaves an impression. But that's just me.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Never Heard Of You.
Your Lucas Is Probly Garbage.
Taking The Easy Way Out.

I Get Top 10 Alot, Its Not The Character......its you lol.

if you wanna leave be gone

Galeon

Smash Ace
Never Heard Of You.
Your Lucas Is Probly Garbage.
Taking The Easy Way Out.

I Get Top 10 Alot, Its Not The Character......its you lol.

if you wanna leave be gone
To be devil's advocate, top 10 is nice but I doubt you're getting there because Lucas is this amazing character. You're most likely just good.

It's been known for awhile that Lucas has flaws. They were less apparent when the game came out and people didn't know how to punish certain things about him. Lucas is good but the fact is that alot of characters are better and in the end, any of us would probably place significantly better if we had put our time in one of the characters notably higher on the tier list.

With that said, Lucas is still my fav char and I'm pretty sure most of us will still keep representing him.

Also, Snake probably won't stay at the top of the tier list. He's having kind of a delayed Lucas effect. Now, people are learning how to deal with him correctly. Even lower tier characters are starting to put it to him. So don't expect Snake to be your insta-win char in tournies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I hate when people stop using their main because they "don't win".

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that part of the fun of using a low tier? The challenge? Yes, I understand if you mained MK or Snake since the game came out cos they're your favorite game characters. But if you switch from a low tier to a top tier because you don't win enough, that shows your priorities are not to have fun, but to win money.

Levitas

the moon
Comparing yourself to M2K is unnecessary, even if you weren't the first one to say so. It had no bearing on the purpose of this thread, and you didn't go anywhere with it.

Deciding to drop lucas in tournaments is wise. I wouldn't recommend that anyone really uses him seriously unless they really want to prove something (and then it's either your scene sucks or something in most cases anyway).

Lucas will never win anything big. He's not gonna be doing well in regional events, either. That should be common knowledge by now.

Good luck with your snake.

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
lol @ people *****ing. Even low-tier top players know they have to use high-tier characters in order to do good in a competitive environment.

Levitas

the moon
Is there a problem with that? It's true for any competent environment, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just decieving themselves.

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
Is there a problem with that? It's true for any competent environment, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just decieving themselves.
No, there isn't. I'm agreeing with you. Don't think you're going to win some huge tournament with the best players in the entire world with anyone Mid Tier and below.

Marceux

Smash Journeyman
The only possible advantage someone with a low tier character could possibly have is Match-Up Advantage and the lack of practice against certain characters.

That said, Teba, who uses D3 and Shiek in tourneys over here in SoCal has taken sets of DSF's Meta Knight with Shiek in tourney. There are videos and results somewhere around here. I'm not saying that people can play really well and win tournaments with Lucas, but there are exceptions to every rule, it's just very rare that YOU (Lucas main that thinks they can beat M2K's D3) will be the exception.

-----

Now, about Natch. I've been to a couple of tournies that Natch has been to, and I'm sick and tired of you, Natch. Not only do you feel the need to unnecessarily name drop people you've spoken to but you seem to think you're some kind M2K waiting to happen just because DSF said so. I've seen you play in tournament, and you choke. M2K, even in the early days did not choke as much you do. M2K also learned from his mistakes, and you kept repeating the same ones over and over again. Also, you're thick-headed and arrogant. You had the nerve to come up to me and tell me, "Wow, your Lucas is good, maybe as good as mine" when I had already lasted longer than you in tourney, and I had beaten people that were completely WRECKING you in friendlies. Then for some reason you felt the need to compulsively distribute "advice" that no one wanted to hear, and was not even good.

You've said in the past that "[you] probably know more about the game than everyone else in the room" when people like DSF, Leepuff, and BoA were standing not two feet away from you and you did not even know who they were until someone had to point it out. Granted, you did say you had problem executing the things you knew, but again, like I said earlier, you choke, you come up with the lamest and most pathetic excuses ever, and you talk down to people when you're on the bottom of the **** totem pole.

Oh, and when DSF said you're like M2K 2.0, it was only in reference to data, and for the most part, I'm pretty sure he was joking. The guy says things just to say them and although he can be helpful, its pretty much common knowledge that other players are not going to help you by telling you things, but rather by kicking your *** in tournament.

Natch, prove me wrong. I don't like hating on people but you're incredibly annoying and you're just not aware of it because people are nice to your face. So my challenge to you is prove me wrong. Get good with Snake/Lucas/whatever and just learn by being quiet and playing. Beat me in tourney and tell everyone on this board. Become a better player and stop being a strained nerve in my head whenever I see you.

BTW, your Lucas "advice" is another example of you unnecessarily sharing redundant information that anyone on this board can read in the tons of other threads that repeat the same garbage. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to be this whole thread was just a way to build credibility for you to share your info and become some sort of Lucas' Deserting Savior. You're not. PK Fire Brickwalling fails against Meta Knights, Marths, and Game and Watches - Lucas' hardest match-ups. Pit's arrows work because of the maneuverability of the arrow and the less of a lag after the attack. Learning kill percentages should be common sense. Yadda yadda yadda.

Sorry for everyone else that had to read this but this guy is just THAT annoying in person.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
:]

infinity burns

haha, i did find it disturbing that you (natch) had to make this entire dramatic thread JUST TO SAY that you're abandoning Lucas for a ONE-day-old Snake, and especially how you incorporated the names DSF and M2K, as if it really means something (sometimes it does, in this case it didn't). sorry

Noraa

Smash Lord
Yeah Cj we got to, hit me up on aim i have some lucas things i want to tell you real quick.

Natch i cant even lie i didnt read all that but as far as M2K 2.0 hahaha...i play on the east coast and your no where near even if you change chars.

what you fail to notice is that yes your dropping lucas but your ****ty skills will carry to snake and you still wont win.

Refocus on what your bad on and improve on fixing mistakes in game. so your not like why did i do this when the match has been over nahmean.

Levitas

the moon
The only possible advantage someone with a low tier character could possibly have is Match-Up Advantage and the lack of practice against certain characters.

That said, Teba, who uses D3 and Shiek in tourneys over here in SoCal has taken sets of DSF's Meta Knight with Shiek in tourney. There are videos and results somewhere around here. I'm not saying that people can play really well and win tournaments with Lucas, but there are exceptions to every rule, it's just very rare that YOU (Lucas main that thinks they can beat M2K's D3) will be the exception.

-----

Now, about Natch. I've been to a couple of tournies that Natch has been to, and I'm sick and tired of you, Natch. Not only do you feel the need to unnecessarily name drop people you've spoken to but you seem to think you're some kind M2K waiting to happen just because DSF said so. I've seen you play in tournament, and you choke. M2K, even in the early days did not choke as much you do. M2K also learned from his mistakes, and you kept repeating the same ones over and over again. Also, you're thick-headed and arrogant. You had the nerve to come up to me and tell me, "Wow, your Lucas is good, maybe as good as mine" when I had already lasted longer than you in tourney, and I had beaten people that were completely WRECKING you in friendlies. Then for some reason you felt the need to compulsively distribute "advice" that no one wanted to hear, and was not even good.

You've said in the past that "[you] probably know more about the game than everyone else in the room" when people like DSF, Leepuff, and BoA were standing not two feet away from you and you did not even know who they were until someone had to point it out. Granted, you did say you had problem executing the things you knew, but again, like I said earlier, you choke, you come up with the lamest and most pathetic excuses ever, and you talk down to people when you're on the bottom of the **** totem pole.

Oh, and when DSF said you're like M2K 2.0, it was only in reference to data, and for the most part, I'm pretty sure he was joking. The guy says things just to say them and although he can be helpful, its pretty much common knowledge that other players are not going to help you by telling you things, but rather by kicking your *** in tournament.

Natch, prove me wrong. I don't like hating on people but you're incredibly annoying and you're just not aware of it because people are nice to your face. So my challenge to you is prove me wrong. Get good with Snake/Lucas/whatever and just learn by being quiet and playing. Beat me in tourney and tell everyone on this board. Become a better player and stop being a strained nerve in my head whenever I see you.

BTW, your Lucas "advice" is another example of you unnecessarily sharing redundant information that anyone on this board can read in the tons of other threads that repeat the same garbage. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to be this whole thread was just a way to build credibility for you to share your info and become some sort of Lucas' Deserting Savior. You're not. PK Fire Brickwalling fails against Meta Knights, Marths, and Game and Watches - Lucas' hardest match-ups. Pit's arrows work because of the maneuverability of the arrow and the less of a lag after the attack. Learning kill percentages should be common sense. Yadda yadda yadda.

Sorry for everyone else that had to read this but this guy is just THAT annoying in person.
This amuses me. Worth the read. Worth quoting so people don't have to scroll up to read it.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord

-----

no no good sir...i think this is the most exciting thing that has happened to the lucas board in months...good stuff.....good stuff :laugh:

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Boo Natch. I find the tone of your opening statement to be quite conceited and whiny, good sir. "I can't win with Lucas, so I'ma go use someone wif broken tilts, and dude named DSF sed ah waz the next Mew2King, so I'z fixin' ta leave y'all and be betta than y'all could eva be." That's what you're saying, yeah?

Good luck with whoever you choose to main in the future. But on the day that Lucas mains take the world by storm, remember... it coulda been you...

Well, I've said my bit. I think it's time for us to let this thread recede into obscurity now.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
This thread shall not rest till I say something.

Natch- You are just one huge johner. Man up and use Lucas. Or you can be the "new" M2K and suck even more than you already do. You only went to FOUR tournaments, I've been to nine tournaments, repping Lucas all the way baybee.

In other words, get the **** out of the Lucas boards, Natch. Only COOL and FUN people allowed. AKA not you.

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
I agree with the 'being quiet and getting your *** handed to you' part.

Only way you'll ever get better. If you're decent and all you do is ****-talk other, better players. Your skill isn't going ANYWHERE.

pew pew.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Don't drop Lucas, just pick up some secondary characters. Although I would suggest you to use a less used high tier character, since not many people will have the fighting experience of fighting that character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom