• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
In my opinion, I learnt that off Gamefaqs.
You mean, "I learned that from GameFAQ."

But, I'm not the grammer police, and hey, there are grammer mistakes all over this frum, so forget it.

Anyway, back on topic, Ike...

I believe I already said what I thought about Ike, about how I could just picture him in Brawl, etc.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
You mean, "I learned that from GameFAQ."

But, I'm not the grammer police, and hey, there are grammer mistakes all over this frum, so forget it.
Haha, don't be such a show-off;) .

Anyway, back on topic, Ike...

I believe I already said what I thought about Ike, about how I could just picture him in Brawl, etc.
About, like, 20 times?

On PoR, I'm on the level where you meet the bird laguz for the first time. That's, about, lvl 13 I guess and Ike is already lvl 17. Unbelievable that I have a Lord as the strongest character:p . Most of them suck so big time... (I mention a certain Eliwood and a certain Roy)

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
ike would be a good addition for brawl, and a great replacement for marth, but wouldn't a spear, axe, or magic user make for a more unique brawling experience.

*edit* i meant roy, he would be a good roy replacement. i have to think more when i post.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
ike would be a good addition for brawl, and a great replacement for marth
Marth is the most important FE character he won't be replaced, Roy probably will be though.

but wouldn't a spear, axe, or magic user make for a more unique brawling experience.
There is only one lord that uses a spear Ephraim and he comes from the second least popular game in the entire series (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones) and least popular released outside of Japan, so he is very unlikely. One lord Hector uses and Axe and he is very popular outside of Japan but in Japan he's from the fourth most hated game (Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword) and he himself is pretty unpopular. Two lords use Magic the first is Celica from the least popular Fire Emblem game in Japan (Fire Emblem: Gaiden) so she doesn't stand a chance. The other is the main character alongside Ike in Fire Emblem Goddess of Dawn her name is Micaiah and she is liked in Japan and outside of Japan so she stands a decent chance.

Ike also gains the use of axes in Goddess of Dawn upon his promotion into Vangaurd but I doubt he would use those in Brawl. That's ok though because he has a ranged sword.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ike looks like Marth if Marth decided to dress like a man.

I wonder if both Ike and Marth will make it into Brawl. They do look alike. Now I know some people will point out that Jiggs and Kirby as well as Luigi and Mario look alike. But because they are cartoons with exaggerated features they are easy to tell apart. But FE characters are more compact with alot of small detail so I wonder if distingusihing them on screen will be more difficult.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I have. I still do not see the reason.
There are 5 Major reasons.

1. He's a clone
2. He's not as popular as Marth in Japan.
3. He was only included as an advertisement for FE6.
4. He's not strong enough.
5. He's Japanese.

That seems to be the main reasons why people think he's most likely to go.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i am not a Roy supporter, but wasn't Marth also just an advertisement for fe6?
i guess he had more personality...

Komayto

Smash Apprentice
i am not a Roy supporter, but wasn't Marth also just an advertisement for fe6?
No, Marth wasn't even in FE6. He was the main character of the original Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem 3.

And to Bowserlick, the answer's simple. They would most likely just go with FE10 Ike who is very easily distinguishable from Marth. It just seems like the logical thing to do, being his most recent look and such. But even if he was identical in FE10 to his FE9 look (which he isn't, but I'm just saying), I doubt it would really matter when both Ike and Marth are easily more worthy of inclusion than any other FE character.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
What makes you think that Roy would? Hmph.
Because Roy is unpopular from an unpopular game...

Ike looks like Marth if Marth decided to dress like a man.
You haven't seen Ike's new FE10 look have you?

I wonder if both Ike and Marth will make it into Brawl. They do look alike. Now I know some people will point out that Jiggs and Kirby as well as Luigi and Mario look alike. But because they are cartoons with exaggerated features they are easy to tell apart. But FE characters are more compact with alot of small detail so I wonder if distingusihing them on screen will be more difficult.
Watch the FE10 trailers with him, he's big and muscly now and shows his big and muscly arms and their faces are nothing alike.

but wasn't Marth also just an advertisement for fe6?
NO! Marth was in FE1/3

No, they both had a horribly bland personality. It was just more obvious with Roy because he spoke more.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
As far as the Lords go, Ike is (by-far) the most likely.

But I would really like to see a Lord who uses somethign other than a freakin' sword! Hector tops my list (BFA), but I would be more than satisfied with Micaiah.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You all are fools.

Jeigan will return and strike SSB:Brawl with his fiery paladin-type vengeance!

0rion

Smash Journeyman
If I had to choose between Ike and Marth, I'd pick my boy Marth. I believe my bro Shade put it best.....when it comes to Marth and Fire Emblem, I'm a conservative at heart meanin that why change a good thing ya dig?

Shiri

Smash Chump
If I had to choose between Ike and Marth, I'd pick my boy Marth. I believe my bro Shade put it best.....when it comes to Marth and Fire Emblem, I'm a conservative at heart meanin that why change a good thing ya dig?
:yoshi: Aether is why, actually, ROFL.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
We all know Marth will stay and Roy will go so why can't Ike be added? It's not like he would be at all similar to Marth in any way shape or form aside from blue hair and a sword.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
We all know Marth will stay and Roy will go so why can't Ike be added? It's not like he would be at all similar to Marth in any way shape or form aside from blue hair and a sword.
Why are either staying? Fire Emblem's such a character-rich series, plus we never got an English adaptation of Marth and Roy's game; I believe it was something of an upset to find these obscure (at the time) characters in a big-name gathering back when Melee released.

And now that english-ians have dug into a few FE games, why would they keep the FE roster smaller than it has to be by keeping these still mysterious (outside of FE fanatics') characters?

Finally, Brawl needs to diversify when it comes to weapons. Link, Ganondorf(maybe), Zelda(again, possibly), Meta-Knight, and at least one FE character (Ike!) are all sword-bearers. Marth/Roy becomes overkill on that front. Of the main characters from the English games, Hector and Ephraim would introduce new...awesomeness (I'm tired and can't think of a valid argument) into the ranks, and if you really want to see Lyn (and we all do), I guess she can pass as a samurai-esque fighter rather than a traditional swordswoman.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Now you get to learn something about Fire Emblem.

1) Marth was the very first Fire Emblem Lord, he is Mr. Fire Emblem. He was also the first lord to be a lord in 2 games.

2) Ephraim's game Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones is one of the least popular games in the entire series in Japan and outside of it because of it's horrible story, characters and half ***** gameplay techinques and plus it was easy as piss.

3) Hector's game Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken is the second most popular Fire Emblem game outside of Japan but 4th least popular inside japan. Hector is also the least popular lord from this game because of what happens to him in Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsuragi.

4) Ike is vastly different from the other swordmen. Link uses a variety of weapons not just swords, Ganondorf I don't really remember too well, Zelda I haven't see use her sword, Marth has a rapier esque style and Ike is medium weight and medium speed and has a ranged attack on his sword.

5) Lyn is also from Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken and as mentioned previously, it's not exactly the most popular game over there. Lyn however wasn't hated as much as Hector over there, she wasn't liked but she wasn't despised either. She stands a moderate chance but characters like Micaiah, Ike, Marth or Sigurd are probably over her.

6) When it comes to Fire Emblem, Sakurai won't give a **** about us, they've had 10 games now, we've only had 3. They know more about the series and most likely in his opinion have a more valid opinion.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

1) Marth was the very first Fire Emblem Lord, he is Mr. Fire Emblem. He was also the first lord to be a lord in 2 games.

2) Ephraim's game Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones is one of the least popular games in the entire series in Japan and outside of it because of it's horrible story, characters and half ***** gameplay techinques and plus it was easy as piss.

3) Hector's game Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken is the second most popular Fire Emblem game outside of Japan but 4th least popular inside japan. Hector is also the least popular lord from this game because of what happens to him in Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsuragi.

4) Ike is vastly different from the other swordmen. Link uses a variety of weapons not just swords, Ganondorf I don't really remember too well, Zelda I haven't see use her sword, Marth has a rapier esque style and Ike is medium weight and medium speed and has a ranged attack on his sword.

5) Lyn is also from Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken and as mentioned previously, it's not exactly the most popular game over there. Lyn however wasn't hated as much as Hector over there, she wasn't liked but she wasn't despised either. She stands a moderate chance but characters like Micaiah, Ike, Marth or Sigurd are probably over her.

6) When it comes to Fire Emblem, Sakurai won't give a **** about us, they've had 10 games now, we've only had 3. They know more about the series and most likely in his opinion have a more valid opinion.
...Well that's all well and good. But telling me stuff Ialready know won't do any good. I'd say a good 9/10ths of Melee fans don't know diddly-squat about FE, even the ones that were localized. What matters to American smashers (who certainly bought more copies than Japanese fans) is that the majority of them still don't really know who those "sword guys" are, and they still won't when Brawl comes out. On the other hand, there's an off-chance they might recognize Hector, Ephraim (say what you will about SS, but it wasn't the worst FE game ever), and Ike. And like I said: FE's a character-laden universe. There're so many fighters to choose from...it's just my hope we don't have more swordsman than Pokemon, which leads into something else you talked about...

Who cares how Link uses his sword? He's still got a sword, doesn't he? It's still his prominent weapon, isn't it? Marth fights with no "rapier-esque" sword and/or style...or at least that's what melee'd have you believe. The whole point of my argument is that I'd rather not see a slot taken up by a character the game's Western audience knows so little about when that FE space could go towards diversifying what fighting stlyes are present in the game.

P.S. Ganondorf and Zelda both have swords in Twilight Princess, and I think most people are expecting Sakurai to use those models.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I'm going to side with xianfeng's reasoning.

This game isn't just for Americans. Its for the Japanese too, which is why Hector and Lyn and such have had their chances damaged. So what if people outside Japan will recognise them... Sakurai would probably much rather prefer to include a character who is generally much more popular... which seems to be where Ike fits into this story.

Sigurd and Ike are two of the most likely options imo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Actually, Hector is much more populair than both Eliwood and Lyn BECAUSE of FE6. Dunno why though, the Japanese are weird people. Atleast, that's what I know. There was a thread around here which showed which FE7 characters where the most populair in Japan. Nino was first and iirc Hector was second.

And I think Ike would be a slightly heavy character, I dunno why but I have a feeling he'd be a little bit lighter than Link. He's pretty build in FE10 and wears alot of armor, I think he'd be slower than Marth though.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
This game isn't just for Americans. Its for the Japanese too...

...So what if people outside Japan will not recognise them...

...Sakurai would probably much rather prefer to include a character who is generally much more popular...
Neither is it just for the Japanese, as in this isolated idea, you seem to make it out to be.

If people outside Japan don't, and can't (short of spending a few hours going through FE Wikis) recognize the FE characters, then in this instance, the game really isn't "for Americans" at all. On the other (my opinion:) hand, now that America has been exposed to FE, why limit our recognition by filling space with Japanananese-only characters? It was unavoidable in Melee, but to appease Japanese nerds at the expense of the larger Smash fanbase would be at best, a bad idea.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Ephraim (say what you will about SS, but it wasn't the worst FE game ever)
It was the second worst, FE2 was the worst.

Actually, Hector is much more populair than both Eliwood and Lyn BECAUSE of FE6.
No because of how he died in FE6 he's unpopular over there, Eliwood however is very popular.
I heard that from people like HurricaneTC over at gamefaqs who heard it from people like VincentASM and Eaichu (the most knowledgable FE players in the USA). So I trust my sources allthough I would be interested to see that poll.

If you think there are too many swordsmen in SSB you don't know anything about Swordsplay.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I think it's not so much how they use the swords, as that can easily be diversified, but the fact that it's only swords.

Aside from Fox, Samus, and Ice Climers, the only weapons in Melee are swords.

I'd just like some variety is all. Maybe they could just give us new weapons (axes/spears) as items, or something.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
So you don't care how different they are, they use swords so they're the same? Even if Ike does shoot a magical blast from the end of his sword, he's still the same as Link and Marth because he uses a sword?

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I have to tell you, I just started playing Fire Emblem: PoR last week, and I'm hooked! I've already made it to chapter 17 (considering my schedule that's rather dedicated) and I can see why people want Ike. First of all, while being somewhat of a stereotypical JRPG protagonist, he isn't too marred by this, since Fire Emblem storylines themselves are pretty much that, stereotypical. His use of a sword could create a problem, but at the same time, as long as they up the roster with people who aren't specifically sword users (who's to tell me that Pit is a typical sword user? If anything, he's closer to Talim from Soul Calibur than he is to Link and the others) then it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I expect his moveset to be much different than that of Marth's. Ike seems to be a slower more powerful character than he is, and also his use of criticals in battle animations seem to be great source material. As for other characters from Fire Emblem, why not the Black Knight? Even if he is stereotypical, he's stereotypically badass.

Top Bottom