• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

GenG

Smash Lord
Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones blow Path of Radiance out of the water. Both storyline and gameplay
PoR is way deeper and realistic, pretty much like the Fire Emblem before Fuuin no Tsurugi. A lot of classical features like the skills come back, while new ones like the laguz characters and biorythm adds a lot to the game.

Ike is way too cliche a character, like Sepharam said himself at the end: mercenary turned hero. Way too overused. Also the ending was a let down.
Well I think that Ike is one of the best lords ever, since he is very human and a bit reckless sometimes. He is not the "I'm good for nothing lord" like usual. Perhaps the role that he plays in the game may be a bit overused, but the character itself is totally new to the series and is my favorite lord up to date. I think that japanese players like Ike (omg) a lot because PoR is the best Fire Emblem since Thracia 776. GBA FEs are unrealistic and not true to the series as they should be.

Here's to NO Ike in Brawl!
That's not up to us...

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Koops said:
why not? do you like jigglypuff's name?
Ike just sounds lame next to other FE character's names. But hey I never said I didn't like Ike as a whole. BTW Jiggs > you.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Considering Ike's several appearances on Sakurai's poll, the Japanese fans obviously like him as well. He meets the criterion of world fame, which Sakurai is going for.

Though I'd see him replacing Roy rather than Marth, since Marth was the star of the first and third Fire Emblems. And Since FE is sucha long-running series, it's possible they'll get a third character like Lyn or Hector.

D

Deleted member

Topic revived.

Anyways:

Aether FTW. This seems to have been made to be a super attack. There's the glow before the strike, and the whole uber flying motion. Am I right?

Master Puppet

Smash Cadet
Even if Ike is a cliche, even spoken by Sephiran at the game's end, he's still the main character of the only GC Fire Emblem, and is the coolest cliche in existence (next to Sheik, of course). I wholeheartedly support him, though admittedly other Lords can get in over him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well I really hope Ike's gonna be in there. I played 2 times through PoR since my last post and its a awesome game! Ike may perhaps be a cliche character but whatever, his fighting style is atleast unique and thats what counts in Smash Bros. Ike is my first choice for Fire Emblem characters, Ephraim comes close to.

Falco-Z

Smash Apprentice
Now here is a character with a great chance for once!
He got nearly tops in votes from the Japanese and I think he is easily popular enough in the West to get in. The real question is, will Roy and Marth be removed or will there be 3-4 FE characters in Brawl?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Now here is a character with a great chance for once!
He got nearly tops in votes from the Japanese and I think he is easily popular enough in the West to get in. The real question is, will Roy and Marth be removed or will there be 3-4 FE characters in Brawl?
Marth is the Fire Emblem mascot; he's staying. I doubt Roy will be staying since he's pretty much another Marth and really wasn't supposed to be in Melee.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Ok, we need to look at this in this:

Ike is the main character in Fire Emlem: Path of Radiance. He plays a huge role, and it a cool fighter as well. Now, let's look at the game itself, and we notice that we have our first ever Gamecube Fire Emblem title, and it's first time on a console. Then we notice that it will be a title for the Wii, and that even boasts a strong recovery for more of those characters.

But, Ike appeared in a big role, in a very important Fire Emblem game, and I support him in the game, and to maybe replace Roy if he is not changed.

-SMB

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
SMB Portal, I never thought of that. I mean Ike is an important FE lord. Also Ike's game was also the first to use FMV sequences, and have 3D character models on the battlefield.

Edit: Look at the above pic. Ike is like a badass version of Marth.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Just because he set precedence's doesn't mean jacksh*t. There have been plenty of characters who have set precedence's, especially in Nintendo History, but do you see them in Smash? Only a few, that's right. Just because it was a home console doesn't mean anything either, plenty of people have GBA and you'll notice that when you notice that FE7 dominated in sales.

PS: Ike's a chump

avyuir

Smash Cadet
Just because he set precedence's doesn't mean jacksh*t. There have been plenty of characters who have set precedence's, especially in Nintendo History, but do you see them in Smash? Only a few, that's right. Just because it was a home console doesn't mean anything either, plenty of people have GBA and you'll notice that when you notice that FE7 dominated in sales.

PS: Ike's a chump
Man are you a negitive nancy. You are the only person whom I have seen that doesn't like Ike. :mad:

I would rather have Ike replace Roy unless . . . Roy gets a new move set. The whole Marth clone thing was horrible. :laugh:

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Kabyks a GBA fanboy

Ike is **** near guaranteed to appear in this game, he was the #1 character voted on sakurais poll

Ill be bold and say NO GBA fighters/Lords will appear in SSBB (including Roy)

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I don't care if you call me Nancy of John or Murphey or whatever,

Ike

IS

LAME.

There are NO defining traits about him that warrent the addition into Brawl. None. He's JUST another Swordfighter, which we don't need. I'm not familiar with the FE series, but gimme Hector, if you gotta have someone. Or at least an INTERESTING swordfighter.

Could one of the Ike supporters please point out to me what makes Ike different? What makes Ike so unqiue that he needs to be included into what might possibly be the best figthing game of all time?

GenG

Smash Lord
Could one of the Ike supporters please point out to me what makes Ike different? What makes Ike so unqiue that he needs to be included into what might possibly be the best figthing game of all time?
Well, Ike starres the only Fire Emblem between 2001 and 2005 that doesn't suck. I think that gives him a billion chances.

Now seriously, Ike mixes rough swordplay with jumping skills and the best super move ever, Aether. His style was taught by his father, Greil, a axe wielder, so go figure how he wields his sword. It's the first Lord to not to be a prince. He is blunt, extremely blunt, but he shows signs of intelligence when he becomes general.

And well, if he is cliche, all characters in Fire Emblem are. Let's pull it easy. Sigurd is the cliched good man who marries and dies. Eliwood is the cliched "good for nothing" lord. Hector is the cliched "hey baby do you want me?" hero because he had a difficult childhood. And so on... all videogame characters are cliche somehow.

Oh, and he is the first lord to be moderately accepted by both sides, US and Japan. It's very requested in Japan unlike other lords.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
DokturSea, I think we stand alone. Let us chain ourselves and stand up against those nasty Ike Tanks.

I'm STILL TRULY interested in HOW IN THE WORLD Path of Radiance was good. Just because it was the only console game and the others were on portables DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.

Nintendo clearly knew that BECAUSE PoR was on home console, it would win the hearts of many, even though it was a lousy game. And you know what? It worked!

No, I can't be mad at you GenG. The 3-D graphics are just clouding up your judgement. It pains me, truly. I just hope those graphics don't extend all the way to Sakurai. All we can do is pray.

Seriuosly though, how come the FIRST HOME CONSOLE 3-D game had such horrible battle sequences. The moves were so incredibly stale. I turned them off by chapter 3. It was like watching grass grow with the added bonus of wasting time! However, the GBA games all had sick criticals and hits. What a pity.......

GenG

Smash Lord
No, I can't be mad at you GenG. The 3-D graphics are just clouding up your judgement. It pains me, truly. I just hope those graphics don't extend all the way to Sakurai. All we can do is pray.
The graphics of the game are the ****. So that's why Ike shouldn't appear?
You don't like the game so he shouldn't appear?
You spent 60$ in a game that didn't satisfy you so he shouldn't appear to make fun at you and make you remember how bad was that game?
The graphics may be ****, but the soundtrack is amazing, as the plot, as the critics to the high society elitism and discrimination.

Seriously, I think we've discussed about FE PoR many times, but an entry of the poll was a huge wall of text explaining Ike's role as a main pillar among all countries and diplomacies in Tellius, the plot, the characters, his efforts to gain the respect of the Greil Army... and I felt that the guy who wrote it understood the reason behind the PoR plot. Ike isn't a chump, I would ask you to replay the game but I know it won't work. If Ike is truly a "mercenary turned hero" cliche, please let me know about games with a similar "mercenary turned hero" setup, or any of the points I commented. I know FFTactics so far, and the plot is totally different.

Ike isn't an very "bashable" suggestion. It's about preferences. I don't like Krystal because she reminds me how bad has become the Starfox franchise, but hey, I'll deal with it.

PD: Intelligent Systems knows a **** about 3D environments. That's why is only 3D game in a home console was Paper Mario, and it doesn't have paper graphics just for the looks... Let's see if the new Wii FE have the graphics now.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I don't care about the graphics per say, just the animation of battle cinema's. The GBA swordmasters fly all over the place, really cool, but they're stale and just attack normally in PoR. It's the same with all the other classes.

I bought it late because I had a lot of other stuff to play first, so it was only $35.

But you're right about one thing, we've discussed this for so long, too long. Let's leave it as I think he's a huge mistake whereas you and your home console supporters say he roxor soxor. I won't understand it, but I accept your viewpoint.

You sir, are a formidable opponent.

Moonless

Smash Rookie
I have a few opinions about all these discussions.

First: PoR versus GBA Fire Emblems.
The main reason people prefer PoR over the three Fire Emblems before it is because the depth of gameplay, not graphics or anything. Despite some people finding PoR's plot great, of the three last Fire Emblems, FE7 had the best plot in my opinion. I have much more to say, but tends to get off topic.

Second: Ike versus other English FE lords.
In my opinion, personality means nothing in Brawl. However, I like Ike's personality. He isn't well educated, he gets angry easily and only has any ethic knowledge because of his father and his simple mind. Not that it matters though. His fighting style is fantastic, a mix of acrobatics with brute sword swings. He is my first choice for Brawl, and he has already 90% chances of being there. I'd love to see Lyn or Hector or Ephraim as much as anyone else, but I understand that Ike has a lot more chances.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I actually liked the GBA versions over Por, yet I started over with PoR recently and now I'll maybe change that opinion. But Ike is still the coolest Lord I played with. I would love to see him in, yet I still give Hector his chanses too.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I would much, MUCH rather see Nephenee, Rolf, or Soren. They were my best/favorite characters and (if nothing else) would bring a bit more originality to the game.

Ike = Sword-user
Soren = Magic-user
Nephenee = Spear-user
Rolf = Bow-user

See my point. Unfortunaly, however, none of these characters (except Soren) were stars of the game and, therefore, don't have a great chance of making it.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I'll sign the FE PoR peace treaty.
Don't even bother with a physical document. Make the peace treaty the FE Roster in Brawl. Have Ike and one of the lords from the GBA. I would prefer Lyn and Ephraim.

In all seriousness, this is probably the FE Roster that would make everyone happy:
1) Marth/Sigurd/Celice
2) Ike
3) Lyn/Hector/Ephraim

^ How's that for our peace treaty? Anyone who agree's say "Ay"

GenG

Smash Lord
Ay. I'll believe that the roster will be something like that.

1. Marth/Sigurd, the japanese only.
2. Lyn/Hector, the US candy.
3. Possibly Ike.

SupaSmashBrotha

Smash Ace
*bump*

All that talk about Ike in the General FE thread has gotten me so pumped I'm revivng this thread. Also b/c most of the ppl that are subscribed to this thread are nowhere to be found.

D

Deleted member

Hey...I'm stil here.

Yeah, Ike for Brawl. Marth and Roy can't hog all the attention, can they?

Ike is popular, modern, and has a good character. Anything else?

(You could revive some of my topics while your at it :(...)

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I would much, MUCH rather see Nephenee, Rolf, or Soren. They were my best/favorite characters and (if nothing else) would bring a bit more originality to the game.

Ike = Sword-user
Soren = Magic-user
Nephenee = Spear-user
Rolf = Bow-user

See my point. Unfortunaly, however, none of these characters (except Soren) were stars of the game and, therefore, don't have a great chance of making it.
Ike and Soren are the most well-known of these 4, and if you only look at the last Fire Emblem, they have a good chance of appearing in Brawl. Titania is also well-known in this game, but i cant imagine a horse-riding character fighting in SSBB though. The Black Knight would also have a chance of appearing as a boss. Soren would be my favourite character if he was in Brawl.

I posted the above considering only Fire Emblem PoR.

Willo-the-Wisp

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think Roy and Marth should both be ditched (or one of them at least), and Ike (and possibly soren?) brought in instead. For one, Ike is probably a more well known character being from a more recent, and more widely known, FE game. Especially for places where hardly any of the FE games were released (good old England for one), not many people really know who Roy and Marth are, but I'm sure many more know of Ike.

Or maybe, instead of Soren, they could put in one of the laguz, like Lethe or maybe Nasir. Only one mind, I've had enough of the whole 'identical characters apart from on is slower and stronger than the other' thingy. They could work like Zelda/Sheik, with a transformation move, or I suppose they could just always be in one form.

Anyway, I would like Ike to be included, but definitely with different moves to Roy andf Marth.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
A laguz would be cool too, but i think it would be best, if they put in characters from FE PoR, that they put in characters you meet in the beginning of the game, like Ike, Soren, Boyd or Titania, plus a boss like the Black Knight.

IF they would put in a laguz like Lethe, would it be cool if they transformed over time (like in the game), or would that be a nuisance? If they would transform back and forth it would lead to more strategy in the game than if it would work the same way as Zelda/Sheik.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Nephenee is hot.
Too bad she probably won't be in it (due to the fact that more "main" characters from FE would likely to make the cut)

but yeah...

hot.

Top Bottom