• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if you were to see a new character at the next nintendo direct who would it be?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'd like to see Pac-Man announced, if we're to get another 3rd party character.

However, I'm expecting more along the lines of someone a bit more predictable, such as Yoshi. Though, fitting the theme of announcing characters around the time of their game's release, it's safe to say Yoshi won't be announced 'til around May 3rd(The release of New Island). So it's very possible we'll get Ness, or a new Fire Emblem character.
Welcome to the forums! :grin:

I think Yoshi is a strong contender for the next POTD reveal. However, the topic of this thread actually pertains to who will be revealed at the next Nintendo Direct event, which will be in April. If you aren't aware, all post-E3 Newcomers and Third-Parties have been revealed during a Direct, whereas Veterans have exclusively been revealed via the Miiverse Pic of the Day feature (except Luigi, who I think may have been confirmed during the August Direct due to the Year of Luigi thing).

Sonic was confirmed during October's Direct, Rosalina during December's, and now Little Mac during February. Since Directs exist for the purpose of promotion, it is no surprise that they would show off Smash Newcomers during these events.

Yoshi and Ness will no doubt be revealed during one of the Pics of the Day, as all Veterans (sans Luigi) have. As for Pac-Man, he seems more fitting for E3, given his name and legacy. For April, I could see a Fire Emblem Newcomer, though I'm sticking to Takamaru from Murasame Castle for now. ;)

Aggressive Sock

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the forums! :grin:

I think Yoshi is a strong contender for the next POTD reveal. However, the topic of this thread actually pertains to who will be revealed at the next Nintendo Direct event, which will be in April. If you aren't aware, all post-E3 Newcomers and Third-Parties have been revealed during a Direct, whereas Veterans have exclusively been revealed via the Miiverse Pic of the Day feature (except Luigi, who I think may have been confirmed during the August Direct due to the Year of Luigi thing).

Sonic was confirmed during October's Direct, Rosalina during December's, and now Little Mac during February. Since Directs exist for the purpose of promotion, it is no surprise that they would show off Smash Newcomers during these events.

Yoshi and Ness will no doubt be revealed during one of the Pics of the Day, as all Veterans (sans Luigi) have. As for Pac-Man, he seems more fitting for E3, given his name and legacy. For April, I could see a Fire Emblem Newcomer, though I'm sticking to Takamaru from Murasame Castle for now. ;)
Thanks.

That makes sense. I realized the pattern to a degree, and you have a point. Interesting...

If we are to receive another newcomer during the next Direct, I could see a new Fire Emblem character being revealed. I'm just curious as to how many more new characters we will be getting at this point. I figured we'd be getting around 5, and we're already up to 5 at this point. So I'm interested in who exactly is left.

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
This is for the Miiverse

Goku.

Now for Realz.

anybody but ridley, and that for all of the directs, and screenshots, and anything related to smash 4

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd love it to be Chrom, Layton, Mii or Ridley.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Probably:
-) Mii: Wuhu Island and Mii Stage on 3DS indicates that they will be playable, add the LeakE3 (Pac-Man, Mii, Little Mac, Villager, WFT, Megaman).
-) Palutena: The leak and her stage in Kid Icarus: Uprising tells everything that she will be playable.
-) Ridley: The stage Pyrosphere and the mention of "A enemy of Samus past..." tells me something is going on.
-) Chrom or Lucina: Probably because the stage of Fire Emblem in 3DS.

.n_n.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Definitely Chrom or Lucina. Hell, maybe even the Avatar. I nearly lost my mind after seeing Arena Ferox. And can you just imagine how that intro video will be?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Kinda want Mewtwo, if only because of how overdue it is, and to dispel all the "Gen 1 is overrep'd/Lucario took his place in Brawl" nonsense. And I do consider it new despite being in Melee.

Truth be told I do kind of wish for it, alongside the likes of Ridley and K. Rool to remain hidden, if only to evoke the similar hype finding out about/unlocking Mewtwo in Melee did (and Ganondorf too...prior to actually playing as him).

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
Kinda want Mewtwo, if only because of how overdue it is, and to dispel all the "Gen 1 is overrep'd/Lucario took his place in Brawl" nonsense. And I do consider it new despite being in Melee.

Truth be told I do kind of wish for it, alongside the likes of Ridley and K. Rool to remain hidden, if only to evoke the similar hype finding out about/unlocking Mewtwo in Melee did (and Ganondorf too...prior to actually playing as him).
Mewtwo, sure.

But I really don't see why anyone wants ridley or King K Rool, what am I missing?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Mewtwo, sure.

But I really don't see why anyone wants ridley or King K Rool, what am I missing?
The rationale for Ridley and King K Rool are surprisingly similar, in many ways.

Basically, the view is that both the Donkey Kong and Metroid series currently lack their central series antagonists, whereas other series (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox) already do. In addition, both characters have high moveset potential, and would bring a lot to the table as unique Newcomers.

This is why I want to see them included in the roster, and I'd imagine that other Ridley/K Rool fans would have similar thoughts. This is Smash, after all; why wouldn't you want to see your favourite Nintendo All-Star characters make the cut?

Hope this helps clarify the matter. :)

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
The rationale for Ridley and King K Rool are surprisingly similar, in many ways.

Basically, the view is that both the Donkey Kong and Metroid series currently lack their central series antagonists, whereas other series (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox) already do. In addition, both characters have high moveset potential, and would bring a lot to the table as unique Newcomers.

This is why I want to see them included in the roster, and I'd imagine that other Ridley/K Rool fans would have similar thoughts. This is Smash, after all; why wouldn't you want to see your favourite Nintendo All-Star characters make the cut?

Hope this helps clarify the matter. :)
Yeah, I get it.

Though SOME people need to understand that Ridley shrunken to Samus size WOULD LOOK WEIRD!

I see the first Metroid, and to me, RIDLEY LOOKS WEIRD!

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yeah, I get it.

Though SOME people need to understand that Ridley shrunken to Samus size WOULD LOOK WEIRD!

I see the first Metroid, and to me, RIDLEY LOOKS WEIRD!
Oh, of course. Ridley would inevitably be the biggest character in Smash, but he would still need to be downsized from his usual canon sizes.

You're not in the wrong for having concerns about how such a downsized Ridley would look. If you're interested in seeing what it might look like, I would invite you to check out the Ridley support thread - specifically, the size comparisons made by Angelglory and Mario_and_Sonic_guy, comparing the Brawl and Other M models of Ridley to the rest of the Smash cast's character models. It's harder to imagine how it would work without a reference, after all. Seeing is believing, and so forth. ;)

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
Oh, of course. Ridley would inevitably be the biggest character in Smash, but he would still need to be downsized from his usual canon sizes.

You're not in the wrong for having concerns about how such a downsized Ridley would look. If you're interested in seeing what it might look like, I would invite you to check out the Ridley support thread - specifically, the size comparisons made by Angelglory and Mario_and_Sonic_guy, comparing the Brawl and Other M models of Ridley to the rest of the Smash cast's character models. It's harder to imagine how it would work without a reference, after all. Seeing is believing, and so forth. ;)
Perhaps he would get shrunken a bit, and hunch over the rest, he would "fly" to jump?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Perhaps he would get shrunken a bit, and hunch over the rest, he would "fly" to jump?
The current consensus is that Ridley would be very slow and awkward on the ground, but would dominate the air game; he would be the opposite of Little Mac, who dominates the ground, but is absolutely dreadful in the air (that, and the obvious disparity in scale). In terms of size, he would either be the largest on account of his bulk, or as a result of his wingspan.

Alas, this conversation is veering off-topic. If you are interested in knowing more about what people think of Ridley's viability (both in how he might play, and how likely his inclusion might be), I suggest you check out the Ridley thread. The people there would be glad to give their feedback on your questions/concerns/etc. :)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Alfonzo will be revealed in the next direct

smash needs some hope
Alfonzo: leave it to me

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
What I'd want is Mewtwo, hands down. Be cool if we got someone like Travis Touchdown, but since his series was only popular for around 3 years or so, he'd probably only be assist trophy material.

What I expect though is Palutena. Since we aren't gonna get a direct in March, unless Sakurai on the off chance decides to show a newcomer video without a direct, we wouldn't get anything character related to KI in March. Also, due to the leak that happened some time ago, it seems highly likely that he'll announce something after the KI:U release, Palutena related or not.

CoryCory

Smash Rookie
GENO/KRYSTAL TAG TEAM. BECAUSE IRRATIONAL THINKING.

Jokes aside, the ones I'm really wishing for:
- Mewtwo (Just the rumors of it alone makes me imagine some kind of intro video involving a Mewtwo/Lucario stare-down at the end. Which would rule.)
- Chrom or Robin (After seeing Little Mac revealed, it's only more obvious one of the Awakening characters could make it judging by the Arena Ferox stage. Just... Who? I'd personally go with Robin based on the gender customization and Sword/Magic combo makes for a solid variety of attacks.)
- Ridley (It'd be the big one. Literally.)

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
If the next Nintendo Direct will announce a newcomer, it would either be Krystal or Ridley. Or, anyone listed in my sig, really.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
My picks are: Aeron from Pandoras Tower, or Zael from The Last Story, or Shulk from Xenoblade, or Bayonetta, or Wonder Red, or Travis Touchdown.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If the Nintendo Direct is on April 18th, then I'm strongly expecting Ridley. Why? Because that's the 20th anniversary of Super Metroid's release in North America, which we all know is vastly more popular in than in Japan.

Still, I'll have to be cautious and expect either a Fire Emblem newcomer or Palutena.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Expect: Ridley
Want: A character from another Nintendo IP that has not been represented in smash yet.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
You know, as much as I want to see a brand new character...I would be perfectly happy to see confirmation of Snake's return, since he is high on everyone's chopping block.

peachy!

super princess
I would love for Lip, Isaac, or Shulk to be revealed next, but I am expecting Takamaru.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm expecting Ridley at E3 more and more, I just feel like it really sums up revealing him in a huge western event among lots of his supporters, and surely it's followed a lot overseas as well. So much hype.

I think I've posted here before and I still have a gut feeling that an FE-character (Chrom) is the next to be revealed.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What I want, if I could wish upon a star, is Geno. That's a madman's fevered dream though.

Realistically, I'd be happy to see either R.O.B. or Ice Climbers secured. R.O.B.'s my main, and even though I don't use Ice Climbers very often they're one of my favorite opponents to fight against for various reasons.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
There are ten remaining characters who can get me hyped:

-Chibi Robo
-King K. Rool
-Dillon
-Ridley
-Isaac
-Ray (Custom Robo)
-Shulk
-Mewtwo
-New Pokemon rep
-any retro character, really.

Those last two encompass a lot of potential candidates, so now I don't sound as picky.

Miis are also technically on my "wanted" list, just because I tend to enjoy games where they're playable and also consider them Nintendo All-Stars, but they're literally at the bottom of my wishlist.

I guess it'd be cool to get a FE rep, too, but I'd probably respond the way I did to Ike's Brawl unveiling : "Still haven't played this game, and I have no clue who this guy is...but he's a character in my Smash Bros game, so okay."

DragonRob20

Smash Apprentice
Well I went insane when Little Mac was announce...the only other character that I would just as nuts and I really want to see in Smash is Isaac from Golden Sun. I just love Golden Sun a lot and I just feel he should be part of the smash franchise as a playable character. If Little Mac can go from AT to Playable, so should Isaac.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Hawlucha

One of the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon with a moveset basically begging to be in a fighting game. Also, it'd kill almost 90% of the "leaks" that have popped up.

But it'll probably be Yoshi.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Hawlucha

One of the most popular Gen 6 Pokemon with a moveset basically begging to be in a fighting game. Also, it'd kill almost 90% of the "leaks" that have popped up.

But it'll probably be Yoshi.
yoshi is prob this friday

Top Bottom