• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if you were to see a new character at the next nintendo direct who would it be?

peachy!

super princess
Tough question. I expect Takamaru to be the next newcomer revealed.

I’d be really happy if it was either Isaac, Shulk, Dillon, or Lip, though. These four are my most-wanted newcomers (besides Ridley and K. Rool), but since I do not think their chances are high, I would love for Sakurai to surprise me by revealing one of those four.

Arkilotheon

Smash Rookie
Why do you people want Ridley? Have you SEEN the mods?! It looks pathetic! He's always been so huge so suddenly making him as tall as at least Samus is so wrong... Don't bring up Bowser that is an invalid argument he has NEVER had a set size. Don't bring up the scene from melee's opening either considering that's a 2 second video... So No Ridley He is way better off a stage hazard/Boss.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Why do you people want Ridley? Have you SEEN the mods?! It looks pathetic! He's always been so huge so suddenly making him as tall as at least Samus is so wrong... Don't bring up Bowser that is an invalid argument he has NEVER had a set size. Don't bring up the scene from melee's opening either considering that's a 2 second video... So No Ridley He is way better off a stage hazard/Boss.
Well metroid needs another rep and the mods mean nothing, they'll change his size to look like he'd fit in the game and he'd be the largest character. Olimar is an inch tall they can do whatever they want.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
o u toobigots are 2 funy

Why do you people want Ridley?
Because he's a cool and important character.
Have you SEEN the mods?! It looks pathetic!
Good thing Sakurai has more skill than people working out of their basement with no pay. Also, they are pretty nifty for being made the way they are.
He's always been so huge so suddenly making him as tall as at least Samus is so wrong...
He hasn't ever been a consistent size, and his Other M design makes him even easier to scale down without trouble. No, it isn't wrong, you just think it is for whatever convoluted reason.
Don't bring up Bowser that is an invalid argument he has NEVER had a set size.
Nope, but most of them are a lot bigger than his Smash incarnation. A LOT bigger.
Don't bring up the scene from melee's opening either considering that's a 2 second video...
Oh, goodness, you're certainly all about rules, aren't you? That's okay, we don't need the Melee opening to prove that Ridley is a perfect fit for Smash. Just look at any of Angelglory's size comparisons.
So No Ridley He is way better off a stage hazard/Boss.
Yeah, I'd rather leave the decisions to the people who can form coherent sentences and arguments without having to establish arbitrary rules about what can and can't be used to defeat them.

Anyway, give me a new Metroid followed by a Ridley announcement.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Have you seen Olimars real size? Hes small enough to live in Duracell battery. Give me Ridley or give me death by chocolate

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Even Ridley had it smallish in the original Metroid (game limitations, but still!). Also, Olimar is suppose to be micro sized compare to the cast. And ironically, I think Ganondorf in Brawl was a little shorter than his tall statue in Twilight Princess (speaking of which, that would be a twist to see Demise in SSB4). So saying Ridley is too big is feeling more and more frail as an argument as well.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Oh, one more thing:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFvxcSrIQ
Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale.

D

Deleted member

I would love to see Shulk get confirmed with X footage shown immediately after. I would love to see that in the next Direct and reveal King K. Rool at E3.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You don't wanna go there.

Arkilotheon

Smash Rookie
Oh, one more thing:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFvxcSrIQ
Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale.
o u toobigots are 2 funy

Because he's a cool and important character.

Good thing Sakurai has more skill than people working out of their basement with no pay. Also, they are pretty nifty for being made the way they are.

He hasn't ever been a consistent size, and his Other M design makes him even easier to scale down without trouble. No, it isn't wrong, you just think it is for whatever convoluted reason.

Nope, but most of them are a lot bigger than his Smash incarnation. A LOT bigger.

Oh, goodness, you're certainly all about rules, aren't you? That's okay, we don't need the Melee opening to prove that Ridley is a perfect fit for Smash. Just look at any of Angelglory's size comparisons.

Yeah, I'd rather leave the decisions to the people who can form coherent sentences and arguments without having to establish arbitrary rules about what can and can't be used to defeat them.

Anyway, give me a new Metroid followed by a Ridley announcement.
Rules? I'd just prefer Ridley to stay the huge bus sized boss he always was not some frail skinny looking pterodactyl. sorry if you don't agree with what I had to say

You don't wanna go there.
Why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkilotheon

Smash Rookie
Even Ridley had it smallish in the original Metroid (game limitations, but still!). Also, Olimar is suppose to be micro sized compare to the cast. And ironically, I think Ganondorf in Brawl was a little shorter than his tall statue in Twilight Princess (speaking of which, that would be a twist to see Demise in SSB4). So saying Ridley is too big is feeling more and more frail as an argument as well.
How is it frail? Ridley's character model is so much more intricate and detailed. Olimar's isn't.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Oh my god -.-
What? I'm just making a point. If you don't want Ridley supporters jumping down your throat, then don't start crap with them. We've been over these "arguments" more times than any of us can count. If you don't want Ridley, fine, that's your prerogative, but don't talk like there's no way he would work and try to use the size argument of all things to support your point.

Last edited:

Arkilotheon

Smash Rookie
What? I'm just making a point.
I actually kind of like it. Thank you sir for enlightening me.

What? I'm just making a point. If you don't want Ridley supporters jumping down your throat, then don't start crap with them. We've been over these "arguments" more times than any of us can count. If you don't want Ridley, fine, that's your prerogative, but don't talk like there's no way he would work and try to use the size argument of all things to support your point.
well your contradicting yourself a little there.

You converted me into Pro-Ridley anyways calm yourself

Last edited by a moderator:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Chrom or Waddle Dee for me. Both of them know how to wield a spear, something Smash needs!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
How is it frail? Ridley's character model is so much more intricate and detailed. Olimar's isn't.
I said this:

"So saying Ridley is too big is feeling more and more frail as an argument as well."

If it's too hard for you to understand, I was talking about your argument of "Ridley being too big" and it doesn't hold up water in future installments. And you can put those words right back into your mouth because I didn't even touch character model by detail but only by size. People skim and comment a little too quickly.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
In Nintendo Directs.. probably Palutena. With all the hints we got after the leak came out, a confirmation in this direct seems fairly possible. Either that or in May, if we're assuming one then.

I think E3 will probably show the character customization gimmick, which I expect to be surrounding Miis, but I can also see them revealing another character to build the hype more and that could either be Ridley or Mewtwo to build the most hype from this crowd.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
the most likely character there is isacc. if nintendo starts going with DLC then dillion would be a DLC. since his game is on the eshop
I agree that Isaac has the best chance of the four, as he was an assist trophy in Brawl and has such potential for a varied and unique moveset, but don't count Dillon out. Besides being a good fit for Smash from a visual/functional standpoint, since the game is coming out on the 3DS, Nintendo may want someone to represent/promote the eShop.

I am hoping the inclusion of an Advance Wars assist trophy points to a playable rep in the new game; Andy is the obvious choice as he was the "face" of Advance Wars, which was the most popular run of "Wars" games in the series.

Mike Jones is the longest shot, as Nintendo seems to deny the existence of StarTropics. (They didn't even get a sticker in Brawl. A sticker!) But seeing as the new game seems to be paying some more attention to the Western audience, I am holding out hope for Jones to be the surprise Retro Rep this time around.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
If the next Nintendo Direct is in April, and that's a Fire Emblem anniversary of some sort, I'd really like to see a hypothetical Fire Emblem Awakening character revealed. That or a surprise Pokemon reveal.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd most want to see Isaac or Shulk confirmed in the next direct.

I don't think there's any way I could prepare myself for Isaac being confirmed playable. Cue several minutes of mindlessly blowing raspberries.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ridley, King K. Rool, or Geno are really the only characters I would really want to be added to this game as of right now. So from now on anyone else who's added to the game is just a pleasant surprise to me. Aside from Ridley the other two are a stretch, some would even say Ridley is a stretch, so I'm not really expecting anyone else I really want in the game to get in the game. So that said I'm just cool to sit back and see who gets into it. I welcome all new additions from here on out I got Megaman and Little Mac both of whom I really wanted in the game if Ridley was added I could honestly ask for no more lol.

I do have a couple of characters I think would be fun to have in smash but they have no chance of getting added like Travis Touchdown, Wonder Red....well that's about it.

As of right now I would prefer to have a reveal for the release date more than any other new character reveals.

Peekolow

Smash Cadet
Ridley, King K. Rool, or Geno are really the only characters I would really want to be added to this game as of right now. So from now on anyone else who's added to the game is just a pleasant surprise to me. Aside from Ridley the other two are a stretch, some would even say Ridley is a stretch, so I'm not really expecting anyone else I really want in the game to get in the game. So that said I'm just cool to sit back and see who gets into it. I welcome all new additions from here on out I got Megaman and Little Mac both of whom I really wanted in the game if Ridley was added I could honestly ask for no more lol.

I do have a couple of characters I think would be fun to have in smash but they have no chance of getting added like Travis Touchdown, Wonder Red....well that's about it.

As of right now I would prefer to have a reveal for the release date more than any other new character reveals.
i agree, i want a release date, i dont want to speculate that it is 2014. i want a real date.

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
Mike Jones is the longest shot, as Nintendo seems to deny the existence of StarTropics. (They didn't even get a sticker in Brawl. A sticker!) But seeing as the new game seems to be paying some more attention to the Western audience, I am holding out hope for Jones to be the surprise Retro Rep this time around.
I know. For me when Smash(n64) came out I asked "where is mike?". I really want Startropics to get the attention it deserves...at least trophys and stuff ^^

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Considering they'll likely be a starter/"selling point" character instead of hidden, and that the Wuhu Island stage already hints at them, I think Miis will be the next ones to be revealed in a Direct.

More "hardcore"-friendly newcomers like Dixie, Palutena and Ridley (if he's in) will probably be saved for E3.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd argue the inverse, actually. Mii's more likely to be revealed at E3 as he'd be unpopular with more hardcore Smash fans but a hit with more casual fans. Think WFT.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm expecting Takamaru, since the anniversary of his debut game (Mysterious Murasame Castle) is in April, the date of the next Direct (MMC came out in April 1986, making April 2014 its 28th Anniversary).

It would also complement the East Vs West motif in the wake of Little Mac's reveal. You have a Western boxer from the Bronx and an Edo-period Japanese samurai. I can totally see the two clash in Takamaru's Newcomer trailer.

As for who I'd want to see, I'm actually very much interested in Takamaru already. Though I'd of course relish the reveal/confirmation of Ridley, King K Rool, and Mewtwo at any time (even though the former two will most likely be revealed at E3 2014). ;)

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind seeing Palutena honestly. Having just played through Uprising again makes me want her even more now.

Aggressive Sock

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see Pac-Man announced, if we're to get another 3rd party character.

However, I'm expecting more along the lines of someone a bit more predictable, such as Yoshi. Though, fitting the theme of announcing characters around the time of their game's release, it's safe to say Yoshi won't be announced 'til around May 3rd(The release of New Island). So it's very possible we'll get Ness, or a new Fire Emblem character.

Top Bottom