• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you were in charge of roster picking for an upcoming Smash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
who the **** is top right?

(4 AC reps really? Kawashima? I don't think this can really be called a full all-star lineup. 3 marios and they are all the same )
Hanafuda.
This would be a laughable roster to the masses at best if this were for SSB5. Too many AC additions and a lack of fan favourites added potentially.

Last edited:
Hanafuda.
This would be a laughable roster to the masses at best if this were for SSB5. Too many AC additions and a lack of fan favourites added potentially.
Wait the playing card?
That's not even a ****ing video game character. What the hell?
A ****ing card and not something like IDK Toad or k rool

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Lets see here...

Veterans
All the Smash 4 characters return.
Dark Pit and Dr. Mario also return, but are alternate costumes.

Newcomers
Rayman
King K.Rool
Dixie Kong
Toad (Captain or regular)
Excite Biker
Takamaru
Ridley
Inkling
Henry Fleming
Mewoth.

Try researching Hanafuda, you'll probably see why I added this historical addition.
You turned a playing card. . .(not evebn a video game character) into a playable character. I know Nintendo started with cards apparently. But so many all- stars get snubbed and you put in a playing card?
I'm sorry but that is just silly.

Nice thing about that one guy making a thread is my list got updated.

The bad thing is a mod merged the threads and now my post is weird :upsidedown:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hanafuda, Jumpman, Balloon Fighter and the over-representation of Animal Crossing is a problem for me.
On top of that there's no attempt at reinstating Dark Pit or Lucina as Luigifications, Wolf still hasn't returned, Mother could use more than Ness, Metroid needs more than Samus, Captain Toad would be my Mario choice over Jumpman.
Dixie and Ganon are to an extent the few I definitely agree should be playable in the next Smash Bros.

Adding characters for the sake of history is a silly thing. Hanafuda would be cool but we could have that Nintendoji guy make use of various things from Nintendo history instead (Love hotels included).

On top of the SSB4 roster and Brawl's cut vets returning (sans Ivysaur and Squirtle) I'd add the following:

Captain Toad
Impa
Ganon
Ridley
Sylux (3 characters with Samus in them is a bit much)
Dixie
K Rool
Cross
Metal Face
Kamui
Inkling
Fleming/Lincoln
Sceptile/Gen VII grass Starter
Saki
Takamaru
Porky
Nintendoji
Shovel Knight
Rayman

Whilst giving heavy revamps to Ganondorf, Falco, Lucina, Dr Mario, Dark Pit and Toon Link so they're more unique. I'd also be open to 4 dlc packs adding stages, characters and more to the game.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I might've gone a bit overboard with, now that I have responses. I'll change it a bit later.

and a lack of fan favourites added potentially.
It technically wouldn't really. For sure, there will new fan base growths for a few of these characters that might've not have fan bases back then in the next set of years. (K. Rool and Palutena were examples of these back in Brawl)

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
*Prepares flame shield*
Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi, Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, DK, Diddy, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, Wolf, Wario, Marth, Ike, Robin, Villager, Little Mac, Capt. Falcon, Ness, Olimar, WFT, Pit, Mr. Game + Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt Dog, Mii, Sonic, Pac Man, Mega Man
Dr. Mario, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Falco, Shulk
Sheik, ZSS, Lucina, Palutena, Dark Pit
Toad, Meowth, Impa, King K. Rool, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Ridley, Kamek, Samurai Goroh, Isaac, Andy, Starfy, Balloon Fighter, Black Mage, Professor Layton
Toad, Meowth, King K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Isaac: Generally do to being highly requested characters for a notable amount of time, plus because these are close to the remaining "Nintendo All-Stars" not in Smash yet.
Bandana Dee, Kamek, Samurai Goroh, Andy, Starfy: More or less the surprise picks, but not to any extreme levels like some of Smash 4's newcomers. Also, these characters (sans Goroh and to a lesser extent, B. Dee) are still pretty significant to Nintendo.
Balloon Fighter: I needed a retro character of some sort, and he is the most important out of the group. Plus, I can smell some decent moveset potential from him.
Black Mage, Professor Layton: These are the most significant 3rd parties left (besides Rayman). But unalike these two, Rayman and UbiSoft's relationship with Ninty has never been that swell. While you could argue Black Mage isn't in a good relationship either, there still is the fact that back in the NES days, he had a good thing going. Also, Final Fantasy is a more important and iconic series to gaming as a whole.
I'll add some more stuff later, but I'm rather busy ATM.
EDIT 1: Forgot Balloon Fighter as a newcomer. Also, I added reasons for the newcomers.

Last edited:
*Prepares flame shield*
Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi, Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Pikachu, Lucario, Mewtwo, Charizard, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, DK, Diddy, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, Wolf, Wario, Marth, Ike, Robin, Villager, Little Mac, Capt. Falcon, Ness, Olimar, WFT, Pit, Mr. Game + Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt Dog, Mii, Sonic, Pac Man, Mega Man
Dr. Mario, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Falco, Shulk
Sheik, ZSS, Lucina, Palutena, Dark Pit
Toad, Meowth, Impa, King K. Rool, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Ridley, Kamek, Samurai Goroh, Isaac, Andy, Starfy, Black Mage, Professor Layton
I'll add some more stuff later, but I'm rather busy ATM.
Idk with the exception of palutena's cut everything there seems pretty normal. I take shulk and palutenas posirions as personal insults but ignore me

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635

Little bit saner this time. I think I achieved a nice balance of popular and unpopular requested characters, just like Smash 4's newcomer selection.
I feel it's better than the last one. I still don't see why we need three Marios and a second Xeno rep, but that's just opinion I guess.
What I'm really curious is that despite your avatar there seems to be no Prince Sable on this list. You were in the Sable support thread, weren't you?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
maybe. or the guy who returned that email doesn't know/care.

No one is going to say in an email to some random person they no longer have the rights to someone.
The intern who replies to emails may have just been told to pass the blame so they stop getting unnecessary emails. If square lost the rights to Geno more than 2 people would know about it.
or it can be true because in the article Alphdream said they dont have any problem on using Geno and mallow in another game, you didnt see the word "Square enix" used there in the article wich might clearly means square enix has nothing to do with Geno and mallow anymore

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
(The X guy is Cross just so you know)
There isn't because even though I love Prince Sable to death, Takamaru is admittably the better choice to use since his game came out on the VC, he's probably next in line for the retro of SSB5.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Decided to try doll up a new roster. Nothing particularly serious, but I tried to see if I could fit in every character and more. Alts included at the bottom. More of a "for fun" roster than anything, I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out~

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, the most important thing is to bring everyone back, even if some have to be DLC (I would have DLC announced as soon as the game is released, letting people know that any characters from Smash 4 who didn't make it into the initial game would still be put in ASAP through DLC). The idea of cutting characters is very controversial, especially if a cut character happens to be very popular (like Snake, who was actually one of the first newcomers confirmed for Brawl back in 2006).

A total of 62 characters in Smash over the years have had icons on the character select screen. Now, if we have versions for a handheld and a home console like Sm4sh, I would say put five exclusive characters on each version (with the Ice Climbers being exclusive to the home console version), with the former having exclusives from lesser-known handheld titles and the latter lesser-known home console titles. If you add those to the 62 veterans, you get 67 characters on each version. Then there would be an additional 13 newcomers that would be on both versions, for 80 characters per version, assuming all vets return in the initial release and DLC is limited to newcomers.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I feel it's better than the last one. I still don't see why we need three Marios and a second Xeno rep, but that's just opinion I guess.
What I'm really curious is that despite your avatar there seems to be no Prince Sable on this list. You were in the Sable support thread, weren't you?
Because it's Blue Pikmin that's why

I might as well go ahead and make one myself. Only thing I would do is...

Cut: Dark Pit and Doc
Return: Lucas, Ice Climbers, Roy, Wolf
Newcomers: Toad, Dixie, K Rool, Impa, Vaati, Bandanna Dee, Medusa, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Tyranitar, Rayman, Isaac, Black Shadow, Crash Bandicoot, Ridley, Dark Samus, Lip, Saki, Dillon, Inkling

I would however replace Saki or Lip with Alph for a second Pikmin rep but that depends. Dark Pit and Alph right now are costumes for Pit and Olimar. Jr gets 16 attires, with 7 Koopalings, a Shadow Mario color, and 7 different colors.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am getting concerned over the possibility that SSB5 might be too big... 60+ characters? Smash isn't like your typical fighting game where all characters have the same or similar basic moves.

I was thinking that maybe Nintendo could branch Smash into different spin-off Smash games. Maybe a Smash game with only Mario/Donkey Kong/Yoshi/Wario characters... and a Smash game with only Pokemon... and a Smash game with only Zelda characters... and a Smash game where it's Nintendo vs. Sega and another one where it's Nintendo vs. Capcom... maybe a Smash game with only characters who were on the NES and another one with only characters who were on the SNES... maybe a Smash game with only characters from Intelligent Systems games (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Puzzle League, etc.)... even a Smash game with only characters from lesser franchises (second party franchises) like Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Sin & Punishment, etc.

This way, we could get more Smash games without blowing up the roster... and we could get to experience many more characters who probably wouldn't have gotten in the main Smash game (SSB5).

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Allocate resources toward the character roster instead of fluff (i.e. SSE, customizations, a second inferior version of the game) and 60 should be doable. Of course, that's way too idealistic, but hey, a guy can dream.

Last edited:
I am getting concerned over the possibility that SSB5 might be too big... 60+ characters? Smash isn't like your typical fighting game where all characters have the same or similar basic moves.

I was thinking that maybe Nintendo could branch Smash into different spin-off Smash games. Maybe a Smash game with only Mario/Donkey Kong/Yoshi/Wario characters... and a Smash game with only Pokemon... and a Smash game with only Zelda characters... and a Smash game where it's Nintendo vs. Sega and another one where it's Nintendo vs. Capcom... maybe a Smash game with only characters who were on the NES and another one with only characters who were on the SNES... maybe a Smash game with only characters from Intelligent Systems games (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Puzzle League, etc.)... even a Smash game with only characters from lesser franchises (second party franchises) like Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Sin & Punishment, etc.

This way, we could get more Smash games without blowing up the roster... and we could get to experience many more characters who probably wouldn't have gotten in the main Smash game (SSB5).
I do think there won't be as many newcomers unless there are vet cuts. that "fluff" will always be made. And I like it.

I would rather have a better game than a better roster but that is just me.

a whole series of smash bros though. . .I don't see it. Any single franchise really doesn't have the characters to do it other than pokemon and a celebration of those smaller franchises.
now a warriors style franchise doesn't really need as many characters to be good and is why I prefer that idea.

that pokemon smash thing really should have happened by now. would sell like crazy. Maybe pokken is as close as we will get. inb4 pokebrawl

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Because it's Blue Pikmin that's why

I might as well go ahead and make one myself. Only thing I would do is...

Cut: Dark Pit and Doc
Return: Lucas, Ice Climbers, Roy, Wolf
Newcomers: Toad, Dixie, K Rool, Impa, Vaati, Bandanna Dee, Medusa, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Tyranitar, Rayman, Isaac, Black Shadow, Crash Bandicoot, Ridley, Dark Samus, Lip, Saki, Dillon, Inkling

I would however replace Saki or Lip with Alph for a second Pikmin rep but that depends. Dark Pit and Alph right now are costumes for Pit and Olimar. Jr gets 16 attires, with 7 Koopalings, a Shadow Mario color, and 7 different colors.

Is it wrong for me to say that your roster would be a perfect dream come true?

It has several of the important missing characters (K. Rool, Ridley, Toad, ect.), some decent obscure choices (Lip, Saki, Takamaru, ect.), some fantastic curveballs (Medusa, Vaati, Tyranitar, ect.), and freaking Crash Bandicoot. I could just stare at this beautiful roster all day long. :ness:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Allocate resources toward the character roster instead of fluff (i.e. SSE, customizations, a second inferior version of the game) and 60 should be doable. Of course, that's way too idealistic, but hey, a guy can dream.
Something like SSE I can understand, but there's lots of people that like custom moves and are pushing for them to be available for use in tournaments so I think it'd be kind of a shame to toss them out entirely. They just need to be implemented a little better, as in not making it an obnoxious grind to get all of them.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
They should make it easier to add characters to the roster through DLC, that's all. They should make the game more open to upgades. The basic roster should have just 40 characters or less, then you should be able to add characters in the future. They should constantly make new characters through the years, going deeper with the single franchises. This way, the game could even reach 100+ characters, and the roster of your own game would be customized with your tastes.
this would mean having a bigger and long-term development team, and reinventing the game as a whole. Starting with the character select screen, that needs to be redesigned in order to allow all those characters to be selected by the players at the same time, and changing the nature of the game in its core, not refered to the gameplay, but to the type of game. Smash is not suited for being a retail game at all, it should be more like a MMO: those games are constantly updated and get new content over time. It's stupid to redesign the game each time a new console is out, when you can simply port it and update it. I mean, if you buy a character pack, those characters are your, and even if you switch to the newer console you still have them, because the game is the same. This way, how they can make moneys from the game? Freemium? No, I don't think it's a good idea; maybe they should make free minor updates and paid major updates (that could happen each 4/6 years just like if it's a new version of the game), along with paid optional DLC content (stages, characters). I think that they should reinvent the game based on those observations.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi:Captain Toad:rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4dk::4diddy: Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, King K. Rool :4link::4zelda::4ganondorf: Impa :4sheik::4tlink: Toon Zelda :4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight: Waddle Dee :4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4charizard::mewtwopm: Meowth :4lucario::4greninja: Grass :4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt::popo::4rob: Takamaru :4ness::4falcon::4villager: Isaac :4olimar:Karate Joe, Chorus Men, Chibi-Robo :4wiifit::4shulk: Inkling :4pacman: Bomberman :4megaman::4sonic: Rayman :4mii: Playable Bosses: Ridley, Porky, Ganon

Troykv

Smash Master
RETURNING VETERANS

From Smash 64:
1. Mario
2. Donkey Kong
3. Link
4. Samus
5. Yoshi
6. Kirby
7. Fox
8. Pikachu
9. Jigglypuff
10. Captain Falcon
11. Luigi
12. Ness

From Melee:
13. Dr. Mario(2)*
14. Peach
15. Bowser
16. Zelda
17. Sheik
18. Ganondorf*
19. Falco*
20. Mewtwo*
21. Ice Climbers
22. Marth
23. Roy(1)(2)*
24. Mr. Game & Watch*

From Brawl:
25. Wario
26. Diddy Kong
27. Toon Link
28. Zero Suit Samus
29. Meta Knight
30. King Dedede
31. Wolf(1)(2)*
32. Charizard
33. Lucario
34. Ike
35. Pit
36. Lucas(1)(2)
37. Olimar
38. R.O.B.*
39. Snake*
40. Sonic

From Smash 4:
41. Rosalina & Luma
42. Bowser Jr.*
43. Greninja
44. Robin
45. Palutena
46. Dark Pit(2)*
47. Little Mac
48. Villager
49. Wii Fit Trainer
50. Shulk
51. Duck Hunt*
52. Mega Man
53. Pac-Man
-Mii Fighters (all three types return)

(1) Was not present in Smash 4, returning from previously being dropped
(2) With more moveset differences to declone them further

Lucina cut: I feel that Roy would replace her as a fighter. This is mostly because it helps to represent the whole of the Fire Emblem series a bit better, as Awakening already has Robin, a far more unique fighter. As much as Lucina is liked, I would rather her cut in order to allow Roy to return both to allow a decent amount of Fire Emblem reps that also give a varied representation of the series.

Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucas, Roy, Wolf: All of them have potential as returning characters. Several changes could be made to most of them to give them some more uniqueness amongs the characters they are clones of.

I took a bit of a minimalistic approach to adding newcomers. I wanted to focus more on rounding out the roster while adding a few choices that would surprise the average player.

* = unlockable

So, who would you have?
I agree with the characters that you chose for return.

Additionally, as new characters I would choose: Maybe King K. Rool, something from Fire Emblem, a new Pokémon, maybe Ridley, and a character from Kirbys Series (probably Bandana Dee... But I personally like to see Adeleine ... which I know is impossible xD).

- King K. Rool
- Ridley
- Pokémon rep
- Kirby rep
- Fire Emblem rep

I really can't think of other characters

I'm only interested in characters from Kirby or Fire Emblem Series, but anything is welcome in my opinion :colorful:

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Pac-Man gets cut
Little Mac gets cut
Dark Pit demoted to alt costume

Zelda and Sheik get recombined, Bouncing Fish is remapped to side-B, Burst Grenade removed entirely
Roy as an alternate costume for either Marth or Lucina
Young Link as an alt for Toon Link
All non-original Mega Men as alt costumes
Wolf as a Fox alt
Ninten and Lucas as Ness alts

Returning (but not in Smash 4):
Mewtwo
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Newcomers:
Toon Zelda/Tetra (note: Tetra has a new moveset, is not a Sheik clone)
Demon Lord Debbie Ghirahim
Dunban (XBC)
Melia (XBC)
Someone from Xenoblade X
Blaziken
Prince Sable (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru)
Possibly an F-Zero character or two? I've only played the first one and I've only seen a few episodes of Falcon Legend
Either Lyn or Eirika (Fire Emblem)
King K. Rool (DK)

Newcomers (third party):
Frog (Chrono Trigger)
Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Shantae
Lt. Elhaym van Houten (Xenogears) [This may not count as third party, nobody's quite sure who owns the rights to Xenogears. It's either Squeenix, Namco, or Monolith Soft. I think one of the Xenogears fansites tracked them down, but most of the Xenogears fansites are either dead or shut down because nobody remembers this amazing gem of a game]

also I propose a new rule: no anime or cartoon characters. I saw someone wanting Mickey Mouse. something like that would be a catalyst to Smash bros becoming Irrelevant to its original purpose.
It has, ever since Brawl brought in Snake. Smash 4 continued the tradition with Pac-Man. While both are well-known video game characters, none of them are strongly associated with Nintendo in any way.

Sonic gets a pass because 90's console wars.

Last edited:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I wanted that new rule for this thread of course. someone listed Mickey Mouse in their roster earlier (no just... no)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I wanted that new rule for this thread of course. someone listed Mickey Mouse in their roster earlier (no just... no)
Nintendo's done deals with Disney to get their characters in Disney movies (Wreck it Ralph), its not impossible that it might happen the other way around at some point in the future.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Looking back on my original post, I find it kind of unsatisfactory; so I've decided to revise it.

• Clones or moveset variations share slots as the character they are based on (Dark Pit with Pit, Lucina with Marth, Dr. Mario with Mario, etc) to save space. They retain all individuality except for slots on the CSS.
  • Characters who were separated are also given a shared slot (ie: transformations still aren't a thing, but the two forms share a slot)
  • Characters that are not in some way important to Nintendo are first on the chopping block, no questions asked.
With that out of the way, here's my revamped roster.
Fighters returning from previous installments in the series, of course. Those not here are listed in the "Cuts and Reasonings" section.

Mario franchise:
Mario
Luigi
Peach/Daisy
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi

Donkey Kong franchise:
Donkey Kong/Funky Kong
Diddy Kong/Dixie Kong

Metroid franchise:
Samus Aran/Zero Suit Samus

The Legend of Zelda franchise:
Link/Young Link
Zelda/Shiek

Pokémon franchise:
Pikachu/Pichu/Raichu
Jigglypuff/Igglybuff
Mewtwo
Charizard

Star Fox franchise:
Fox McCloud/Wolf O'Donnell
Falco Lombardi

Kirby franchise:
Kirby
Meta Knight/Galacta Knight
King Dedede

Fire Emblem franchise:
Marth/Lucina/Roy
Ike
Robin

Mother franchise:
Ness/Lucas

Punch-Out! franchise:
Little Mac

Animal Crossing franchise:
Villager

Kid Icarus franchise:
Pit/Dark Pit
Palutena

Other:
Duck Hunt
Mr. Game and Watch
Mii Fighters
Olimar/Alph
Ice Climbers
Shulk

Third-Party:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Obviously, these are the newcomers to the series. Any character not previously playable through official means goes here. These will usually get explanation. They also aren't grouped by series, either.

King K.Rool: The main villain of the Donkey Kong Country franchise, and undoubtedly the most famous of DK's foes, King K.Rool absolutely deserves to be in Super Smash Bros., especially over other canidates like Cranky or (god forbid) Brash. King K.Rool could be an interesting character, especially since he has so many different forms to play with, like Baron K.Roolenstein, Kaptain K.Rool and King Krusha K.Rool. A heavyweight fighter with decently quick speed would be a fresh way for this series to go, and K.Rool would be perfect for it.

Tyrantrum: Revived from a Jaw Fossil, Tyrantrum evolves in the day from a level 39 Tyrunt. Arguably one of the most popular of the Fossil Pokémon, Tyrantrum would be in a weight class of it's own, making him the heaviest fighter in the game. Tyrantrum would also be pretty big as a fighter, as well, standing over a head taller than Bowser and hitting like a 300-mph truck on legs. He'd be slow, but powerful and with a good amount of superarmor. The hefty weight reduces his air game to flailing around to try and get hits in during the small span it's in the air, but on the ground Tyrantrum would be difficult to bowl over. As a representative of the Fossil Pokémon, Tyrantrum would be a good choice to go with.

Ridley: Giger-esque design? Check. Important to origin series? Check. One of the most desired characters in the series' history? Check. Ridley would be the ultimate newcomer reveal to hype up a new Smash game; he's got a lot of backing, is important to Metroid canon and is ultimately a freaking Xenomorph-esque dragon. How cool would that be to play as? Now obviously, there'd be complaints of downsizing, but as the newcomer above has proven, I really don't care about making them decently scaled, so long as it looks good and isn't broken. And a Ridley about the same size as Tyrantrum would be about as good as anything; it'd keep him as a fighter while keeping him from being too alien. He'd be something like the opposite of Tyrantrum; great aerial game and good ground game.

Other Newcomers (formatted in a list): Extra Mii Fighter class (maybe a Marksman?), new third-party character, some inevitable clones, Waluigi, a number of potential others through DLC...too many to list. :p

Those who were cut go here, of course. Only counting total cuts, not merged slots.

Lucario: Lucario is no longer relevant as a Pokémon representative, and replacing him with Tyrantrum (who does have some relevance as one of the most recent Fossil Pokémon) would be better than having both, especially since Lucario's strong presence in the anime has been gone for some time now.
Greninja: Despite being unqiue as a fighter, Greninja is ultimately less unique than Tyrantrum could be; Greninja shares many similarities with Shiek and Zero Suit Samus in playstyle, with water-based moves. I could see Greninja maybe being DLC, but if Tyrantrum and Mewtwo both come in, I suspect he may be next after Lucario to be axed, if only because Greninja is more relevant in the anime than Lucario is as of now.
Wii Fit Trainer: Despite Wii Fit being a high-selling aspect of Nintendo, I suspect that WFT will end up being irrelevant once the next Smash rolls around, and thus on the chopping block; unless Nintendo makes another Wii Fit.
Bowser Junior: The most difficult cut to make of them all, since he is a unique fighter; but despite his unique moveset, Bowser Junior was ultimately cut simply because of his lower priority. Junior is not as important as, say, Ridley or K.Rool, and to prevent the roster from being too massive for it's own good (and, in game development terms, to allow a hypothetical team to focus on the big newcomers), I had to cut him. To make up for this, Junior would likely be one of the first after-release characters to be added with DLC, as Mewtwo will be for the WiiU and 3DS games.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Looking back on my original post, I find it kind of unsatisfactory; so I've decided to revise it.

• Clones or moveset variations share slots as the character they are based on (Dark Pit with Pit, Lucina with Marth, Dr. Mario with Mario, etc) to save space. They retain all individuality except for slots on the CSS.
  • Characters who were separated are also given a shared slot (ie: transformations still aren't a thing, but the two forms share a slot)
  • Characters that are not in some way important to Nintendo are first on the chopping block, no questions asked.
Fighters returning from previous installments in the series, of course. Those not here are listed in the "Cuts and Reasonings" section.

Mario franchise:
Mario
Luigi
Peach/Daisy
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi

Donkey Kong franchise:
Donkey Kong/Funky Kong
Diddy Kong/Dixie Kong

Metroid franchise:

Link/Young Link
Zelda/Shiek

Pokémon franchise:
Pikachu/Pichu/Raichu
Jigglypuff/Igglybuff
Mewtwo
Charizard

Star Fox franchise:
Falco Lombardi

Kirby franchise:
Kirby
King Dedede

Fire Emblem franchise:
Marth/Lucina/Roy
Ike
Robin

Mother franchise:
Ness/Lucas

Punch-Out! franchise:
Little Mac

Villager

Kid Icarus franchise:
Pit/Dark Pit
Palutena

Other:
Duck Hunt
Mr. Game and Watch
Mii Fighters
Olimar/Alph
Ice Climbers
Third-Party:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Obviously, these are the newcomers to the series. Any character not previously playable through official means goes here. These will usually get explanation. They also aren't grouped by series, either.

King K.Rool: The main villain of the Donkey Kong Country franchise, and undoubtedly the most famous of DK's foes, King K.Rool absolutely deserves to be in Super Smash Bros., especially over other canidates like Cranky or (god forbid) Brash. King K.Rool could be an interesting character, especially since he has so many different forms to play with, like Baron K.Roolenstein, Kaptain K.Rool and King Krusha K.Rool. A heavyweight fighter with decently quick speed would be a fresh way for this series to go, and K.Rool would be perfect for it.

Tyrantrum: Revived from a Jaw Fossil, Tyrantrum evolves in the day from a level 39 Tyrunt. Arguably one of the most popular of the Fossil Pokémon, Tyrantrum would be in a weight class of it's own, making him the heaviest fighter in the game. Tyrantrum would also be pretty big as a fighter, as well, standing over a head taller than Bowser and hitting like a 300-mph truck on legs. He'd be slow, but powerful and with a good amount of superarmor. The hefty weight reduces his air game to flailing around to try and get hits in during the small span it's in the air, but on the ground Tyrantrum would be difficult to bowl over. As a representative of the Fossil Pokémon, Tyrantrum would be a good choice to go with.

Ridley: Giger-esque design? Check. Important to origin series? Check. One of the most desired characters in the series' history? Check. Ridley would be the ultimate newcomer reveal to hype up a new Smash game; he's got a lot of backing, is important to Metroid canon and is ultimately a freaking Xenomorph-esque dragon. How cool would that be to play as? Now obviously, there'd be complaints of downsizing, but as the newcomer above has proven, I really don't care about making them decently scaled, so long as it looks good and isn't broken. And a Ridley about the same size as Tyrantrum would be about as good as anything; it'd keep him as a fighter while keeping him from being too alien. He'd be something like the opposite of Tyrantrum; great aerial game and good ground game.

Other Newcomers (formatted in a list): Extra Mii Fighter class (maybe a Marksman?), new third-party character, some inevitable clones, Waluigi, a number of potential others through DLC...too many to list. :p

Those who were cut go here, of course. Only counting total cuts, not merged slots.

Lucario: Lucario is no longer relevant as a Pokémon representative, and replacing him with Tyrantrum (who does have some relevance as one of the most recent Fossil Pokémon) would be better than having both, especially since Lucario's strong presence in the anime has been gone for some time now.
Greninja: Despite being unqiue as a fighter, Greninja is ultimately less unique than Tyrantrum could be; Greninja shares many similarities with Shiek and Zero Suit Samus in playstyle, with water-based moves. I could see Greninja maybe being DLC, but if Tyrantrum and Mewtwo both come in, I suspect he may be next after Lucario to be axed, if only because Greninja is more relevant in the anime than Lucario is as of now.
Wii Fit Trainer: Despite Wii Fit being a high-selling aspect of Nintendo, I suspect that WFT will end up being irrelevant once the next Smash rolls around, and thus on the chopping block; unless Nintendo makes another Wii Fit.
Bowser Junior: The most difficult cut to make of them all, since he is a unique fighter; but despite his unique moveset, Bowser Junior was ultimately cut simply because of his lower priority. Junior is not as important as, say, Ridley or K.Rool, and to prevent the roster from being too massive for it's own good (and, in game development terms, to allow a hypothetical team to focus on the big newcomers), I had to cut him. To make up for this, Junior would likely be one of the first after-release characters to be added with DLC, as Mewtwo will be for the WiiU and 3DS games.
Where's the Monado Boy?
He's neither lost nor returning.
He's in limbo.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Mario franchise:
Mario
Luigi
Peach/Daisy
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi

Donkey Kong franchise:
Donkey Kong/Funky Kong
Diddy Kong/Dixie Kong

Metroid franchise:

Link/Young Link
Zelda/Shiek

Pokémon franchise:
Pikachu/Pichu/Raichu
Jigglypuff/Igglybuff
Mewtwo
Charizard

Star Fox franchise:
Falco Lombardi

Kirby franchise:
Kirby
King Dedede

Fire Emblem franchise:
Marth/Lucina/Roy
Ike
Robin

Mother franchise:
Ness/Lucas

Punch-Out! franchise:
Little Mac

Villager

Kid Icarus franchise:
Pit/Dark Pit
Palutena

Other:
Duck Hunt
Mr. Game and Watch
Mii Fighters
Olimar/Alph
Ice Climbers
Shulk

Third-Party:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Missing any sort of mention of :4falcon::4ganondorf::4tlink::4drmario::4rob::rosalina: and maybe a few others I'm not seeing.

Also, I don't see how Tyrantrum would get in. I'm assuming that this is for a future Smash game, in which case a Pokemon from a more recent generation would be added. In addition to that, both Lucario and Greninja are more relevant in both the games and the anime then Tyrantrum has ever (And probably will ever) been. I also highly doubt they'd only keep 1st gen + new gen Pokemon represented.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
That is a really terrible reason to replace Lucario

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I've come to think that Lucario in fact instead of losing relevance became a kind of secondary mascot Pokémon
Yeah. He's pretty much the face of Mega Evolution seeing as Mega Lucario is required in X and Y.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah. He's pretty much the face of Mega Evolution seeing as Mega Lucario is required in X and Y.
The Only Pokémon Character (In Smash) than I don't remember if it became publicized in some way (recently) by the creators themselves is Purin (Or well... Jiggly has a new type... I don't know xD).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Every character in the franchise so far, Melee cuts all decloned
Ridley, Dark Samus, Dixie Kong, K.Rool, Paper Mario, Captain Toad, Bandana Dee, Takamaru, Black Shadow, Isaac, Saki Amamiya, Dillon,
Included some characters I don't like because they'd be smart choices PR wise

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
First of all, that would be such an awesome job to have! :awesome: Second, I would make the game's roster look like this:

Different Characters
Paper Mario
Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Rayman
Bomberman
Pokemon Trainer
Ice Climbers
Mewtwo

All the fighters from Smash 4, but I cut Doctor Mario and Dark Pit from the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom