• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[[Hyper Viper Beam]]MWC Event in Ann Arbor, MI [[Nov. 7-8]]

Vayseth

Smash Master
While it's true that he is talking about competition in general, he uses those outside sources only as examples to further his point, which is directly and almost entirely about competitive gaming. Using Sirlin is kind of a cop-out in a way, mainly because he is so respected for what he wrote and trying to knock him down would be disrespectful to all the work that he has done. With that aside, Sirlin's work cannot just be copy and pasted to every competitive medium out there. It just doesn't work that way. In order for Smash to become recognized as a respectable fighting game, the game had to undergo multiple rule set changes before we finally came to the decision that stock matches and no items were more conducive to competition than time and with items on, which is the default setting. These changes in themselves go against his writing. Even if you're willing to take it that far, we have to realize that there is no competitive "norm" for smash, and there likely will never be one. Everyone differs in opinion on how this game should be played while EVERYONE in competitive gaming in other games have one solid ruling as for what is allowed and what is not. Sirlin is only stating that people who look at the solid rulings from the community and say "that is gay" and decide to ban it anyway, are taking away from the competitive spirit. I will bet you that when the SBR goes to vote again, that Luigi's Mansion WILL be taken off of the "ruleset" because the stage itself hinders the spirit of competition.

Smash is a completely different game, it will NEVER be understood to players of exclusively smash why things are stated as they are in Sirlin's work. The rules are 100% set and were made as competitive games, where as smash the rules seem to change every week and the game was never intended to be competitive. Other fighters are made to be competitive, so they take certain things into account when designing the game (like not having stages that help/hurt certain characters in the game). Smash is not like this and will likely never be developed to be a competitive fighter mainly because of how deeply you can customize all of the settings. No other fighting game allows players to customize their experience and the game was designed that way. Therefore, casual gamers can play their way, and competitive gamers can play their way. It's the beauty of this game. However, EVERY OTHER FIGHTER is designed from the ground up to be competitive, and therefore does not have the customization that smash does, because it was made for nothing but competition.

So, to go so far as to say that Sirlin's work somehow justifies that Luigi's Mansion should be turned on is simply ludicrous. It's one stage, which has already been proven to change the fundamentals of the game and decrease overall competitive spirit and is proven only by the sheer amount of tournaments and whole regions which ban the stage outright. If we want to go by his rules, we should turn all the stages on and just sort of "deal with it."

While we still have this mentality where a definite rule set is not required and only a "recommended" rule set is enforced, the TOs can do whatever they want. I believe the TO has the right to their decision, and I am only defending it. He's not banning Lylat because of its stupid edges, he's banning something which already is banned all across the country. I am 100% sure that when the SBR goes back to (hopefully) create a FINAL rule set with no recommendations, that Luigi's Mansion will be banned. So, what's the point of even arguing this?

Zjiin

Smash Master
Okay... but sometimes broken cards do get through, right? How do TO's and players know which ones are broken and which ones aren't? They don't know, not until somebody uses the broken cards to break the game.
So basically, every stage should be legal, since it hasn't been proven that any of them will win tourneys and dominate tournament play.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Ok, so are you saying your point holds because we haven't used the stage? That would make much more sense if it were true.
You haven't used it to the extent where you've really learned it. This situation is more like if there were a card that's kinda "lame," like making your opponent skip is turn, for example. That really annoys lots of Magic players. Yet, there's a very simple way to stop it that's easily available to any kind of deck. But nobody learns this. Instead they complain about the card and anybody who uses it.

Once again, I'm not arguing for or against the stage. I'm pointing out invalid assumptions that you're making.
Which assumption is that? Might help me out if you told me. :)

Vayseth

Smash Master
You haven't used it to the extent where you've really learned it. This situation is more like if there were a card that's kinda "lame," like making your opponent skip is turn, for example. That really annoys lots of Magic players. Yet, there's a very simple way to stop it that's easily available to any kind of deck. But nobody learns this. Instead they complain about the card and anybody who uses it.
Um, yeah, but it is part of the game. My older brother is 30 and played magic right when it first came out and BAM, cards that skipped your opponent's turn were there. Of course there's ways to counter it and of course it's annoying, but the people who complain about it are idiots and it does not deserve a ban and no one ever thought of banning a card simply because it had that text on it, so your example is flawed.

That's like saying "people wanted to ban the n00b combo in Halo 2 because it was annoying and everyone complained about it." It was annoying and everyone complained about it, but it was still a part of the game and everyone still used it. You're bringing up examples that don't fit here.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
So basically, every stage should be legal, since it hasn't been proven that any of them will win tourneys and dominate tournament play.
Some stages have an effect similar to items in that they very significantly randomize outcomes. Others obviously favor a matchup to such an extent that it quite obviously breaks the game-- this falls under things that are "immediately banworthy," along the lines of Akuma as Sirlin explains. LM falls under neither of these categories. The only argument remaining in favor of banning it, in this thread at least, is that it's "lame." This is the reasoning of the scrub, plain as day.

And Vayseth... really. You're a cool guy and all, but you're beyond grasping for straws here. Read the guy's book. He absolutely does apply it to every single competitive medium, and smash falls a hell of a lot closer to his field of expertise than many of the examples he uses.

"The great lesson of competitive games is that hardly anything warrants a ban."

I ask you to send him an email, maybe, and see what he thinks of smash if you're looking for an exception to this rule. He made it very clear that there were none.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Um, yeah, but it is part of the game. My older brother is 30 and played magic right when it first came out and BAM, cards that skipped your opponent's turn were there. Of course there's ways to counter it and of course it's annoying, but the people who complain about it are idiots and it does not deserve a ban and no one ever thought of banning a card simply because it had that text on it, so your example is flawed.

That's like saying "people wanted to ban the n00b combo in Halo 2 because it was annoying and everyone complained about it." It was annoying and everyone complained about it, but it was still a part of the game and everyone still used it. You're bringing up examples that don't fit here.
Wait, how are either of these examples flawed? You guys think LM is "lame" and against "competitive spirit." None of these ideas are any more objective than "annoying," and I LM is no less a part of the game than these.

Vayseth

Smash Master
I think it's amazing that instead of dealing with my points directly, you decide to say, "Just read his book, you'll understand." I've read enough and been around in competitive gaming longer than you and I'm new to smash in general (got into it in Feb of this year). I can tell you for a fact that the game itself and its community are vastly different from anything else out there. At least in most fighting games there are similarities to how they're played, the button inputs, or SOMETHING. This game is a "maverick" in the competitive gaming world, and its own community is still undecided as to how it should be played to produce the most competitive environment.

To put this stage issue to bed, if we were to play smash like the other games, we would only play on the neutrals, since they give some small advantages and disadvantages in certain match ups, but in general they're good for everyone. That's how all the other fighting games do it.

In the end, it's no big deal an the point remains that the SBR will likely ban the stage anyway, so why not get a head start?

Vayseth

Smash Master
Wait, how are either of these examples flawed? You guys think LM is "lame" and against "competitive spirit." None of these ideas are any more objective than "annoying," and I LM is no less a part of the game than these.
LM gives stupid good advantages to certain characters and basically becomes an auto-win for certain characters. In a competitive environment, just because someone picks a certain stage they should not be given basically an auto-win. I feel that this stage is not the only one that is "allowed" which does this. Corneria has a lot of really stupid things about it too and I have stated from the very beginning of the game's life that it should be removed. I still continue to win against people who are better than me on that stage, simply because my character ***** that stage. It's not fair and it certainly isn't competitive.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I think it's amazing that instead of dealing with my points directly, you decide to say, "Just read his book, you'll understand." I've read enough and been around in competitive gaming longer than you and I'm new to smash in general (got into it in Feb of this year). I can tell you for a fact that the game itself and its community are vastly different from anything else out there. At least in most fighting games there are similarities to how they're played, the button inputs, or SOMETHING. This game is a "maverick" in the competitive gaming world, and its own community is still undecided as to how it should be played to produce the most competitive environment.
It doesn't matter how dissimilar it is from other fighting games, don't you get it? He's not just addressing fighting games. He's talking about all forms of competition and he makes this incredibly clear. This will be the third time I've said it, maybe, so you can't blame me for being brief. I don't like to waste text saying the same thing over again because you ignored it.

For all your blundering about how long you've been involved in competitive games why does it seem like you've never read this **** book?

To put this stage issue to bed, if we were to play smash like the other games, we would only play on the neutrals, since they give some small advantages and disadvantages in certain match ups, but in general they're good for everyone. That's how all the other fighting games do it.
Again... It's not about how other fighting games do it. It's about not letting people bend the game to suit their own tastes at the expense of others. The only unbiased way to decide what should be banned and what shouldn't when controversy arises is to let the game itself demonstrate. That is the entire point of "Playing to Win."

In the end, it's no big deal an the point remains that the SBR will likely ban the stage anyway, so why not get a head start?
Nobody said everyone in the SBR was perfect. :laugh:

Really, though, until they do ban it, I'm going to stand up for it when I can, and I will continue to strongly disagree even after.

LM gives stupid good advantages to certain characters and basically becomes an auto-win for certain characters. In a competitive environment, just because someone picks a certain stage they should not be given basically an auto-win.
But it isn't. I thought the idea wasn't that it was unbeatable, right? Just that it's against "competitive spirit?"

I feel that this stage is not the only one that is "allowed" which does this. Corneria has a lot of really stupid things about it too and I have stated from the very beginning of the game's life that it should be removed. I still continue to win against people who are better than me on that stage, simply because my character ***** that stage. It's not fair and it certainly isn't competitive.
Please. If people who are that much better than you let you do that to them, they deserve what they get. The only true infinite Dedede can do on that stage requires you to let him grab you while facing the fin. Simple solution? Don't let it happen.

Vayseth

Smash Master
LOL, I'm not talking about Dedede.

Also, you fail to realize that I'm talking about smash, a non-competitive game by design. We're forcing a competitive nature into something that was designed to be random and therefore we're going to run into things like LM when we try to play the game different from how it was designed.

LM is known for a couple things. One is it's ceilings which not only allow for high damage very quickly, but also make people live to 999% every stock. So not only is the game going to take forever, but it also is not even brawl when all you are doing is bouncing up and down off of a ceiling. Sure, you can get out of it, but the stage also invites people to run around and run out the time because there is plenty of space to do that in. It's not unbeatable, but it takes forever, gives HUGE advantages to certain characters, and really is just a cheap trick in smash.

From a TO's perspective, the map makes the tournament run longer, and have more people complain in general, which sucks. Also, we started the strike out system for many reasons, but one of them was people kept wasting their bans on Lylat because they didn't want to random it. Now that almost no one picks it, people are okay with the stage (for the most part) and are now focused on banning things which gives characters auto-wins. I'm talking about Luigi's Mansion. Most players I know who don't main or second metaknight ban it because you can basically win for free with it. I remember playing RJ once and I don't even play meta and I beat him severely on that map just for picking the combination (I was maining ZSS at the time, and I lost badly to his Snake in the other two matches) but the point is, that's not fair and it should not be allowed.

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed your sig and I LOVE it =)

Zjiin

Smash Master
Some stages have an effect similar to items in that they very significantly randomize outcomes. Others obviously favor a matchup to such an extent that it quite obviously breaks the game-- this falls under things that are "immediately banworthy," along the lines of Akuma as Sirlin explains. LM falls under neither of these categories. The only argument remaining in favor of banning it, in this thread at least, is that it's "lame." This is the reasoning of the scrub, plain as day.
I wasn't speaking on LM, i was just using your own statement to justify any level to be not "ban-worthy." Since none of the stages obviously favors a matchup, and instead the overall gameplay and, none of this gibberish you just said applies to it. Only two add random factors to the gameplay, yet random enough to merit a ban? Not yet proven.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Randomized outcomes AKA superior luck plays a part in gaming. While some would say it's noncompetitive to win through luck, Magic the Gathering seems to be quite popular in its own right. The only reason Wario Ware is banned is because one person might be luckier than the other in a microgame and get a Starman powerup while the other guy gets maybe a few % healed. This is not an auto-win for any given character, and if you knew the game mechanics then you'd realize that you could always just ledgestall if something like this happened.

But apparently we hate random things like Wario Ware and Pictochat -- oh wait.

lol

I guess instead of following all these silly interpretations of "competitive" and "Sirlin says so" we could just say that Luigi's Mansion is banned because lain's in charge of his own tournament.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Vayseth, what the deveopers intended the game to be has nothing to do with it. It's being played in a competitive environment and is therefore subject to the same concerns, notably that people will try to shape the game to fit their own ends and personal tastes. The existence of a bunch of obviously banworthy stuff from the designers does not suddenly mean anybody who wants to ban anything is justified by default.

I wasn't speaking on LM, i was just using your own statement to justify any level to be not "ban-worthy." Since none of the stages obviously favors a matchup, and instead the overall gameplay and, none of this gibberish you just said applies to it. Only two add random factors to the gameplay, yet random enough to merit a ban? Not yet proven.
So you're telling me that Shadow Moses, Flat Zone 2, and Bridge of Eldin, for example, don't obviously favor Dedede vs. more than half the cast?

Or how about when a hazard on FZ2 spawns with absolutely no warning (there are phases of the stage where there are *no* areas that are safe from this) and kills you at 30%? Is that not random enough?

I'm talking about extremes. LM is not an extreme as much as people keep parading around the idea that it is. You don't like getting beat by MK's tornado on LM? Press A, and quit whining. It's that simple.

Now, as for as banning it for logistics reasons, that's the first sensible thing anybody's said here. Matches do tend to take longer, and from a TO's perspective this is definitely not ideal. This alone may or may not warrant a ban, but it's certainly a much better reason than "LM is lame."

This is not an auto-win for any given character, and if you knew the game mechanics then you'd realize that you could always just ledgestall if something like this happened.
So a person with a starman is somehow unable to throw projectiles or grab the ledge to force you from it, now? When did this happen?

And it's not just Starmen, there's also the possibilty of getting a Super Mushroom which actually hurts you a lot more than it helps because it makes your hitbox massive and reduces knockback. You get one of those and the other guy a Starman and you're looking at more than 60-70% easily.

Pictochat doesn't have anything quite on this level. The hazards always spawn in the same places at the same times, and many of them deal little to no damage or knockback.

And I'd appreciate it if you weren't so quick to assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

Zjiin

Smash Master
So you're telling me that Shadow Moses, Flat Zone 2, and Bridge of Eldin, for example, don't obviously favor Dedede vs. more than half the cast?

Or how about when a hazard on FZ2 spawns with absolutely no warning (there are phases of the stage where there are *no* areas that are safe from this) and kills you at 30%? Is that not random enough?

I'm talking about extremes. LM is not an extreme as much as people keep parading around the idea that it is. You don't like getting beat by MK's tornado on LM? Press A, and quit whining. It's that simple.

Now, as for as banning it for logistics reasons, that's the first sensible thing anybody's said here. Matches do tend to take longer, and from a TO's perspective this is definitely not ideal. This alone may or may not warrant a ban, but it's certainly a much better reason than "LM is lame."
Don't get me wrong, i'm not for the ban of luigi's mansion. I've fought lots of MKs (even without using snake) and there are ways to play it right, and ways to play it wrong. I was simply stating that yes, even though anyone can see why it would benefit some characters to have some stages on and yes, most intelligent people can see why some random instances have no place in competitive play, none have been tested to be "game breaking" or an essential element needed to win a tourney. Therefore, none should be banned yet according to your previous statement.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Vayseth, what the deveopers intended the game to be has nothing to do with it. It's being played in a competitive environment and is therefore subject to the same concerns, notably that people will try to shape the game to fit their own ends and personal tastes. The existence of a bunch of obviously banworthy stuff from the designers does not suddenly mean anybody who wants to ban anything is justified by default.
The problem with this logic is that no one, even the SBR, has come out and said "This is the rule set." Until there is a permanent rule set, TOs have any right to ban any stage they see fit, and turn on any stage they see fit. There's no definite reason to keep it or not keep it right now, and in the opinions of many, the stage is ban-worthy. Until we have a finalized rule set, the TOs will be able to keep it or not on their own discretion.

I think this debate has gone on long enough, and I can assure you that no matter what ANYONE says, Luigi's Mansion will not be turned back on, so I don't see the point in continuing anymore.

Kel

Smash Master
Just so everyone knows (including Ankoku up there on his high horse), Lain and I have already come to a conclusion about the stage and his tournament via private messaging.

I wasn't continuing my arguments to persuade Lain, I'm just showing you how flawed his reasons for doing so are. He's banning it for personal reasons, not competitive. Much like Big C does with his tournaments. ( I still went to Big C's tourneys too)

If one more person says "it's his tournament" you will be banned from the circuit

....not really. But for real, stfu, I've said a million times in this thread already that I don't ultimately care what Lain does with his own tournament in terms of counter pick stages. I just wanted discussion to happen so that other people won't be so hasty at banning a stage for no reason in other tournaments.

Edit* (just read Vayseth's time johns).
1) there is an 8 minute timer on to prevent matches going on forever
2) Brawl is more defensive in nature than Melee and often takes longer for matches to play out
3) If I'm playing Mansion, I NEVER go to time. I know how to kill my opponent on that stage because I've played it enough and have experience on it. The people you've "auto-winned" against probably had just never played the stage before.
4) Example: Every time I play a GAW the match almost goes to time. all of my matches with NOJ and Lain had less than two minutes left EXCEPT the one where I played NOJ on Mansion and 2 stocked him. You know what Joel said after that game? "Dude, that was a good counterpick! ...FD!" and our FD took 6 minutes. This means that NOJ johns less about Mansion than Lain and Vayseth :-P. And THAT is saying something. The ones that took 7 and a half minutes, sadly, weren't recorded.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Ouch. NoJ johns less than me? That really solves the argument right there. I'll shut up now.

Then again, NoJ feels that Sky World should be neutral, which is probably one of the reasons OS was so shocked at how well he did on that level against him even though OS 2-stocked Anther on it. It can be interesting like that.

Personally, I believe the stage is annoying. I usually always ban it unless I know a player is notorious for some other stage. Meaning, to me, since I ban it every single time, it's like the stage is off for me anyway. So, honestly, I could personally care less as to whether or not it is on, I'm just trying to defend those who wish to ban it, and I feel they're justified in doing so.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If one more person says "it's his tournament" you will be banned from the circuit
Ok. It's his tournament.

Maybe I'll see you sometime next year, lain.

including Ankoku up there on his high horse
By the way, I'm way better than you and the next time you challenge me to a MM, you should just give me the money because I'm confident I'll JV4-stock you twice in a row. lol

I'll mindgames you so hard that you'll 0-death combo yourself. Three times.

I'M ****ING AKEN SOL, *****.

lain

Smash Master
Yeah guys, we're done talking about it.

Kel, my reasons aren't personal. I figured that since I was the only once to overcome such gaiety, this wouldn't be an issue. But, c'est la vie.

So yeah guys, this date is changed and everything. I'm going to put fliers up around the school to attract a bevy of noobs. I'll only put the date down as saturday, since most scrubs come for the smashfest and get ***** and leave ;(

Ankoku and Levitas crack me up

:colorful:

BIG C

Smash Master
w/e you guys are all dumb and end up reciting my points again and again.

my first point that as a T.O the stage takes up too much time and my second point of him being able to make the ruleset. thanks for once again proving that

BIG C IS THE WISEST MAN IN THE MW.

Top Bottom