• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Coastward

Smash Lord
here's an idea for you to think over. come down to toronto a week early for the tournament and then i can arrange housing between me and my crew so that you can stay here for a week and then you can just go straight to NJ afterwards.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
I only watched your first match against C. Falcon

5 things to critique on:

1. Stop d-tilting near the ledge. Good Falcons will take advantage of their invincibility frames while hanging onto the ledge and will just ledge-hop knee you with 100% guarantee if you use a laggy move close to the ledge.
2. Stop jabbing Falcon after d-throw under 30%. Falcons can just DI up and away to get away. You might as well gamble & tech-chase into a d-air leading to 30%+ damage combo.
3. Learn to recover better. Look at all of your up-b attempts: they all place you above the stage but below the platform height. Your recovery is the worst possible recovery in terms of height.
4. Up-Smash after a d-throw tech-chase is inefficient. Most likely, your crotch hit-box will connect with falcon if you predict correctly, and this only sends him flying. You'd rather have some combo potentiality with d-air, side-b, or even d-smash.
5. Lack of control over your character. I can't really say much, but you just need to play more and eventually feel as if you are one with your character.

Love your use of wave-lands btw =)

Coastward

Smash Lord
I only watched your first match against C. Falcon

5 things to critique on:

1. Stop d-tilting near the ledge. Good Falcons will take advantage of their invincibility frames while hanging onto the ledge and will just ledge-hop knee you with 100% guarantee if you use a laggy move close to the ledge.
2. Stop jabbing Falcon after d-throw under 30%. Falcons can just DI up and away to get away. You might as well gamble & tech-chase into a d-air leading to 30%+ damage combo.
3. Learn to recover better. Look at all of your up-b attempts: they all place you above the stage but below the platform height. Your recovery is the worst possible recovery in terms of height.
4. Up-Smash after a d-throw tech-chase is inefficient. Most likely, your crotch hit-box will connect with falcon if you predict correctly, and this only sends him flying. You'd rather have some combo potentiality with d-air, side-b, or even d-smash.
5. Lack of control over your character. I can't really say much, but you just need to play more and eventually feel as if you are one with your character.

Love your use of wave-lands btw =)
thanks for the tips, i just recently started getting serious about melee and maining ganon so i didn't really know what i needed to be doing against falcon.

and i love wavelanding LOL

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
What I do against Falcons:

1. High-angle f-tilt if you know they will n-air towards you.
2. CC => Jab if you know they will n-air you.
3. SH and pull back f-air if you know they will n-air right in front of your character or if they will try to approach with some other aerials.
4. U-air if you see them full-hop towards you.
5. Edgeguard with reverse u-airs if they recover low and b-air if they recover above the stage.
6. Scare them into shielding. They can't do anything really except for n-air OOS but who does that except for Hax and S2J?
7. Bait them onto platforms because Falcons suck so hard when they full-hop onto a platform (watch out for their full-hop knee though).

Coastward

Smash Lord
What I do against Falcons:

1. High-angle f-tilt if you know they will n-air towards you.
2. CC => Jab if you know they will n-air you.
3. SH and pull back f-air if you know they will n-air right in front of your character or if they will try to approach with some other aerials.
4. U-air if you see them full-hop towards you.
5. Edgeguard with reverse u-airs if they recover low and b-air if they recover above the stage.
6. Scare them into shielding. They can't do anything really except for n-air OOS but who does that except for Hax and S2J?
7. Bait them onto platforms because Falcons suck so hard when they full-hop onto a platform (watch out for their full-hop knee though).
alright i guess its time to start practicing, luckily im heading over to my friends today who mains falcon. thank bizz.

Honest Ham

Smash Rookie
Kind of off topic, but as far as wrecking Ganons with Ganons, have Kage and Bizzaro Flame ever ditto'd? I scoured Youtube but couldn't find anything.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ganon dittos are the ****!!

I did too many in the past to prove I was the best Ganon.. that's how it was back in the day huh? lol. When it became reality, the only fun I have is comboing the other Ganon since he's so easy to combo. =P Fair links at low % or do cpt.falcon combos like dair, nair, uair to fair.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Man I haven't played Ganon (or Melee for that matter) in like 5 days. I hope the Thanksgiving break I had has helped me "improve" with my Ganon. I've just heard numerous times that if you take a week break, you somehow become better. I never really understood that phenomenon, but I it's worked for me before.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Man I haven't played Ganon (or Melee for that matter) in like 5 days. I hope the Thanksgiving break I had has helped me "improve" with my Ganon. I've just heard numerous times that if you take a week break, you somehow become better. I never really understood that phenomenon, but I it's worked for me before.

Heh normally it's because you have time to think about strategies that you had a hard time with so when you come back to the game, you can apply your new wisdom a lot easier I find. Getting better is an active process even when you don't play.

Edit: For that matter, I don't think I've ever written strategies for myself but I definitely always thought about what was happening in game and why I was getting hit a lot. It's also the same reason for let's say you go to a tournament then you don't play for a bit because obviously you are smashed out so during that time you can think about a lot of stuff if you care obviously that much! =P

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Heh normally it's because you have time to think about strategies that you had a hard time with so when you come back to the game, you can apply your new wisdom a lot easier I find. Getting better is an active process even when you don't play.

Edit: For that matter, I don't think I've ever written strategies for myself but I definitely always thought about what was happening in game and why I was getting hit a lot. It's also the same reason for let's say you go to a tournament then you don't play for a bit because obviously you are smashed out so during that time you can think about a lot of stuff if you care obviously that much! =P
Well I mean like my mind has been completely deprived of Melee stuff for the past 5 days. I haven't though about anything Melee until I decided to come back to this thread haha. My friends will be back soon though and I'll be able to play friendlies with them :)

Coastward

Smash Lord
ok NOW THAT SMASHBOARDS IS BACK, i can finally discuss my turnout at the toronto monthly.

so at the beginning of the tourney i was a bit nervous since it was like my second tourney, but once people were getting hype about my moonwalking ganon i felt good about myself.
i learned i need to DEFINITELY practice my teching and l-cancelling, that alone cost me some matches, my spacing was good throughout the day(was getting compliments about it), and overall I MADE IT OUT OF POOLS.

so thanks everyone who gave me tips, i hope i do way better next time.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. it's about evolving yourself, it's not about getting better results. If you focus too much on winning then you'll miss out on important lessons, keep paying attention and don't let results get to your head.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Well.. it's about evolving yourself, it's not about getting better results. If you focus too much on winning then you'll miss out on important lessons, keep paying attention and don't let results get to your head.
i was mostly focused on placing well because last time i went to a tourney(which was like, 9 months ago) i didnt even make it out of pools. so it was my goal to at least make it to brackets.

and i definitely am trying to improve, theres so much for me to work on and i learned A LOT at the tourney too.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Kage couldn't have said it better. I would even go further and argue that even if you're the top player, you shouldn't even be primarily focusing on winning because there is still a lot more to think about and discover in this game.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i really dont want to focus on just winning either because eventually i'll just get bored and stop playing. ganon is too fun.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage couldn't have said it better. I would even go further and argue that even if you're the top player, you shouldn't even be primarily focusing on winning because there is still a lot more to think about and discover in this game.

Ya you're right, I often do this but I'm beginning to question is if the mindset of "Just having fun and learning the most you can" is not strong enough against someone that wants to absolutely destroy you. Like having the intent to kill will definitely make you play differently and much more dangerous I find anyway.. it's like using all the tools you've learned to the maximum potential and sometimes even beyond that.. that zone you know? I don't think it's possible to reach this killer zone when you have a calm attitude and observing your play.

Coastward

Smash Lord
never really thought of it that way, now i gotta really think how i want to play now. there's still a lot of learning for me but once i feel comfortable i may start to get into that "play to kill" mindset.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Playing to learn is working out pretty well. I'm starting to really think about what moves work in what situations. Like for example, when a Fox is in the air, I try to make him double jump, after he double jumps, I think it's safe to go in and attack, but infact that is not true, Fox can still come down with a nair that will beat my uair. My friend told me in order to beat that I have to move to the side of Fox and hit him once he lands. This sounds doable, I'll be trying it more in friendlies.

I think for the most part I'm looking at my opponent more and observing their actions, now I just need to start predicting what they will do. For example, when against a Fox, if I hit him off stage, most of the time he will try to side-b back on stage at the specific height where fox is just over the stage but just under the platform. If I wait for the Fox to do this, I can do a crotch upsmash to counter it, jab him, or even wait for Fox to land so I can get an easy dair.

Stuff like that is what I want to look out more for. Also, my execution isn't great sometimes. I have trouble dropping through platforms at times because my control stick is not neutral. I can work on this and get better with that.

There other minor things, but I feel like with each practice session, I'm getting a little better with Ganon =)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Playing to learn is working out pretty well. I'm starting to really think about what moves work in what situations. Like for example, when a Fox is in the air, I try to make him double jump, after he double jumps, I think it's safe to go in and attack, but infact that is not true, Fox can still come down with a nair that will beat my uair. My friend told me in order to beat that I have to move to the side of Fox and hit him once he lands. This sounds doable, I'll be trying it more in friendlies.

I think for the most part I'm looking at my opponent more and observing their actions, now I just need to start predicting what they will do. For example, when against a Fox, if I hit him off stage, most of the time he will try to side-b back on stage at the specific height where fox is just over the stage but just under the platform. If I wait for the Fox to do this, I can do a crotch upsmash to counter it, jab him, or even wait for Fox to land so I can get an easy dair.

Stuff like that is what I want to look out more for. Also, my execution isn't great sometimes. I have trouble dropping through platforms at times because my control stick is not neutral. I can work on this and get better with that.

There other minor things, but I feel like with each practice session, I'm getting a little better with Ganon =)

Hm.. if Fox comes down with a Nair after his DJ, you should have time to uair before that even comes out... you could also bair/fair it depending on the angle you have.

Geez crotch usmash to punish illusion.. that works.. pretty brutal. lol It's a little risky to do because you have to know he is going to illusion close to you. It's a confident read for sure.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hm.. if Fox comes down with a Nair after his DJ, you should have time to uair before that even comes out... you could also bair/fair it depending on the angle you have.

Geez crotch usmash to punish illusion.. that works.. pretty brutal. lol It's a little risky to do because you have to know he is going to illusion close to you. It's a confident read for sure.
Idk about uair beating Fox's nair, it seems like you have to do that really fast. Plus he could also drill.

The upsmash to punish illusion is nice, but it is a hard read. It's easier to read Fox's distance with his side-b. Maybe there's more i can do?

tm

Smash Ace
I'm always letting results get to my head, and always thinking too much about x player being "better" than me... I also get pretty down when I lose in tournament to someone who takes the game less seriously than I do, because I put a lot of work in and have high expectations of myself. I tell myself that if I'm better than them, I would have won, but then I think maybe it's just because I was playing ganon instead of a top tier character, but then I'm just johning to myself.... it's not healthy lol. As long as I can learn from losing I'm okay with it though.

In related news, my bracket match against that pikachu was uploaded. The end was cut out but basically I SD'd and lost at last stock lol.
If you guys could give me any other tips, they would be greatly appreciated :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUN19EnRBk

Coastward

Smash Lord
hey kage, is there a tournament or anything like that happening on the last week of december in montreal? gonna be in the area december 26-29.

Honest Ham

Smash Rookie
When you all play ganon, do you ever edge-hop into an uair? I find it to be really effective in slo-mo (where I figured it out), but when I try to apply it full speed, its difficult to get the uair off quick enough.

Top Bottom