• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hey guys, I wanted to share something that I discovered while I was practicing tech skill with Ganon.
If you want to master perfect wavedashing without any sort of flubs, there's this cool trick I cam across while I was practicing perfect wavedashing on Pokémon Stadium.
You have to do the Single-Player glitch in order for this to work.
I go into Pokémon Stadium playing as Ganon, and the trick here is to do backwards perfect wavedashes on the stage. If you do enough of them perfectly without messing up, you'll be off screen enough for you to gain a percent. This means each time you do a consecutive number of perfect backwards wavedashes, the game will basically count it for you.
I just did I one hour session doing this and I was able to do a series of perfect backwards wavedashes 58 times. That's roughly 1 series of perfect backwards wavedashes per minute.
I'm aiming to try to get that number to 100, as that seems very possible to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNSBw8v2eTw Here's a video that show's what I mean.

Coastward

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pWiPp7XIiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzVqytrUV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5HbIZ3Siqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCCjmtpVWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Q2qsDPRMA

Here are my latest tournament games that I played at Tipped Off 9.

Please note that there are some mistakes that I made during play due to either nerves or technical execution error.

Please let me know what you think.
i'll take a look at these after the mlg livestream lmao.

tm

Smash Ace
Holy **** dude, you can actually type that fast? Even 100 is nuts. You could make a living off that lol

tm

Smash Ace

Please note that there are some mistakes that I made during play due to either nerves or technical execution error.

CAPS LOCKE? If I remember correctly, I think I saw you at BH3. Anway, although the quality of the recording is bad, it's great that you could get something.

I think some of the things that would be good for you to work on would be spacing, technical precision, and your decision making.

Spacing is hard to work on but just try to be more conscious of it. Making sure your attacks can't be shield grabbed, keeping proper distance in the neutral game, not whiffing shield grabs, etc. Something that really helped me with this was just watching a TON of videos of great players. I think that it becomes second nature after a while. Also if you can play with someone noticeably better than you, they will punish your bad spacing frequently and help you correct it.

Missed l-cancels / wavelands aside, you could improve a lot if your execution of moves and maneuvers was more clean / precise. By this I mean the timing and proper placement of your aerials, not dropping your shield by releasing the shield button (or accidentally raising it), nailing every l-cancel, getting techs in order to escape combos, and so forth. Basically being very in control of your character, which helps a ton, and can largely be mastered on your own, by just playing around with the character / fighting low level cpus or any opponent.

Decision making is a very broad thing to improve upon, but it will also help you improve the most (I believe). For example, when you get a hit or start a tech chase, you should be thinking to yourself 'What is the most mileage I can get from this favorable position?', and make a decision based on what you think they will do, how much damage you can get, or if you can turn it into a combo or edgeguard, etc. This is often dependent on stage positioning, what percent they are at, and mindgames between you and your opponent. For help with tech chasing i'll direct you to this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/techchasing-fastfallers-an-extensive-guide.256382/ written by ACE with help from Magus, which helped me a lot. Once again, another thing that will help this is watching a lot of footage of really good players
Another thing is that when you are under pressure or in a bad position, many times your instinctive behavior is to counterattack, when (at least in my experience) it is usually better to try to escape the pressure and reset to neutral position (but don't get predictable). An example of this is when fox is attacking your shield, you try to grab and end up getting shined. Alternative options include rolling away and using shield DI to create space between you and him. Try to utilize more intelligent rolling and dodging in tight spots, and make sure that the attack that you're about to throw out won't get you killed. This is all a part of safe play in general, which I find extremely difficult with ganondorf.

Another thing is edgeguarding. Your edgeguarding seems very hesitant (against spacies), and if you want to edgeguard successfully (which is critical to winning with ganon), you need to have a plan as soon as they are sent offstage. Here is another thread worth reading http://smashboards.com/threads/ganon-edgeguarding-101-open-discussion-whos-next.266671/ although there are many specific situations that aren't directly addressed, and again just watching a lot of good players will give you a good idea of what's effective. Knowing all your hitboxes and all the possible options of your opponent are important, as well as understanding the risk / reward for each type of edgeguard you might choose. And of course, having a read on your opponents recovery of choice is always good, as well as mindgaming them into doing a riskier / more difficult recovery.

I'm not a very successful player myself, so take this with a grain of salt, and certainly abide by anyone else's criticism / advice. I hope I helped, and good luck :)

Renth

Smash Hero
My goal for life is 100 lol. Do you use QWERTY? For how long have you been fast, say, above 80?
Edit: yes QWERTY - I'm on my laptop

I took a lot of typing classes in high school, I also played a lot of mavis beacon, typing of the dead and spent a lot of time trying to break my own personal records... So i've been typing over 80 for a long time.

This is from the test I took less than five minutes ago, I can't top 127 at the moment

Renth

Smash Hero
Real question here is... If I have this much control over my hands..

Why am I not a Fox main?

edit: I took a test in high school my principal took me into his office and wanted me to show him my typing, him staring at me made me very nervous I got like 70 wpm and he was like oh.. you're okay I guess

I was like I'm better, you made me nervous his response:

Sure...Sure..

**** head

Renth

Smash Hero
Okay enough typing discussion... xD

UHm... I still think captain falcon destroys ganondorf. I played over the weekend and got discouraged over all, didn't have much fun I'm going to chalk it up as an off day. I really hope it doesn't reoccur

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord

Hey dude one thing I noticed was that you like to use reverse uairs a lot, especially towards the beginning of a stock in the neutral game. I wouldn't do that because it has barely any knockback and even if you l-cancel it you'll probably get punished by a good player. I'm really surprised you hardly got punished in your sets off it. Also you could benefit from using fair a lot more for spacing. And as tm mentioned, you should probably be more aggressive with your edgeguarding. Against that marth, for example, if you had reverse uaired you could've killed him a lot of times. That marth didn't even sweet spot a lot of the time so you could've probably used a bair even.

Renth

Smash Hero
Now I see why Renth's love for melee is dead. loll

Every match I play recently, everyone is hyper defensive. I spent the last three games I played ledge stalling for four + minutes. Sorry but if this is how everyone wants to play melee then count me out. I was offered a ride to go play chu dat and his cousins with RockCrock today I declined. I really don't want to play for awhile.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Every match I play recently, everyone is hyper defensive. I spent the last three games I played ledge stalling for four + minutes. Sorry but if this is how everyone wants to play melee then count me out. I was offered a ride to go play chu dat and his cousins with RockCrock today I declined. I really don't want to play for awhile.

Wasn't that always the case? The EC style is pretty campy in general.

Renth

Smash Hero
I just don't have fun anymore and I have even less fun when everyone's goal is to see how long they can stand still

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
CAPS LOCKE? If I remember correctly, I think I saw you at BH3. Anway, although the quality of the recording is bad, it's great that you could get something.

I think some of the things that would be good for you to work on would be spacing, technical precision, and your decision making.
Hey dude. Yeah I was at BH#, but I don't remember if you were someone I played or not. Were you playing Ganon dittos against Kage? I feel bad for not doing that when I had the chance.

By the way, thanks for the advice a lot. That tech-chasing guide is really good and I wanna start using it more often. Even the edgeguarding one is really detailed and can help me with my most difficult matchups.

Hey dude one thing I noticed was that you like to use reverse uairs a lot, especially towards the beginning of a stock in the neutral game. I wouldn't do that because it has barely any knockback and even if you l-cancel it you'll probably get punished by a good player. I'm really surprised you hardly got punished in your sets off it. Also you could benefit from using fair a lot more for spacing. And as tm mentioned, you should probably be more aggressive with your edgeguarding. Against that marth, for example, if you had reverse uaired you could've killed him a lot of times. That marth didn't even sweet spot a lot of the time so you could've probably used a bair even.
Yeah that's probably a habit I need to stop just throwing out reverse uairs. Some of those missed edguards threw me off, I knew what to do, I was just caught off guard with an early up-b or something. I definitely could have taken several stocks much earlier in that match.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Some of those missed edguards threw me off, I knew what to do, I was just caught off guard with an early up-b or something. I definitely could have taken several stocks much earlier in that match.
I've only been a ganon main for about a year now so I understand where you're coming from with the marth recovery catching you offguard. Another great trick to edguard marth is to hold z and role back just as marth hits your shield. You'll tumble into the ledge and marth will fall to his death. It's kinda hard to pull of because marths have a tendency to stall in the air with side b and then up b at the most unexpected moments but it's a neat trick all ganon mains should be aware of. Personally, I prefer reverse uairs and ftilts.

tm

Smash Ace
Hey dude. Yeah I was at BH#, but I don't remember if you were someone I played or not. Were you playing Ganon dittos against Kage? I feel bad for not doing that when I had the chance.

By the way, thanks for the advice a lot. That tech-chasing guide is really good and I wanna start using it more often. Even the edgeguarding one is really detailed and can help me with my most difficult matchups.
You are probably talking about PseudoTurtle, although I played Kage for a few matches as well. I don't believe we played, I just remembered your name tag. No problem, I'm always looking for ways to improve (and teaching is one way), and I feel like I can communicate my ideas easily, so I like to help.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
pretty salty i wasn't able to go to the toronto monthly today and take notes from kage.

travelling to montreal johns.
You should've came, I had a lot of intense matches. =( I tried Fox/Falco vs KK.. Im not strong enough yet but I had the right idea, I managed to even beat him on Yoshi's with Ganon.. I think it's the only map im now willing to do this matchup.

Coastward

Smash Lord
You should've came, I had a lot of intense matches. =( I tried Fox/Falco vs KK.. Im not strong enough yet but I had the right idea, I managed to even beat him on Yoshi's with Ganon.. I think it's the only map im now willing to do this matchup.
ganon's story lmao. and i couldn't come to the tournament because i was in montreal the whole day. i got back home at around 7pm :( theres always mcsmashter though.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Ya Sheik, I need a counter pick vs her at the highest level. I know I can do it but I'm not really scared of the other Sheiks that aren't in the top 10.
You ever consider using puff against sheik? It's one of the only matchups sheik has a distinct disadvantage to my understanding

I could understand if you were entirely opposed to the idea given your playstyle lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I figured, what makes it work for you on yoshi's ?
You can space really quick attacks a lot easier I find because of the platforms, it's also much easier to trap Sheik into bad positions and you aren't susceptible to the CG as you can DI on the platforms. Also repeating the edgeguard (Grab the ledge to force her on stage into an aerial) doesn't happen often because she dies faster.. fewer reads needed to win also.

You ever consider using puff against sheik? It's one of the only matchups sheik has a distinct disadvantage to my understanding

I could understand if you were entirely opposed to the idea given your playstyle lol
Nah never considered it, Puff is one of my worst characters ever.. lol. There's no way I could play her with my kind of style, lol.

tm

Smash Ace
Nah never considered it, Puff is one of my worst characters ever.. lol. There's no way I could play her with my kind of style, lol.
You plan to use fox, right (I'm guessing because you're currently better with fox than falco / puff / sheik)? Have you made that decision, or do you still have other considerations?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You plan to use fox, right (I'm guessing because you're currently better with fox than falco / puff / sheik)? Have you made that decision, or do you still have other considerations?
I'm not entirely sure yet but KK said my Falco is better than my Fox but personally I'd say both spacies are around the same level but I definitely have to focus on 1, I think I'll go with Falco though because it's much easier to be technically consistent with him.

I went to Toronto with the mindset of training so I got what I wanted and I performed very well so ya that's pretty much where I'm at now. I need to train a lot more to beat him.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely sure yet but KK said my Falco is better than my Fox but personally I'd say both spacies are around the same level but I definitely have to focus on 1, I think I'll go with Falco though because it's much easier to be technically consistent with him.

I went to Toronto with the mindset of training so I got what I wanted and I performed very well so ya that's pretty much where I'm at now. I need to train a lot more to beat him.
damn, i've been practicing the same thing that you've been doing. i've been learning some puff and fox stuff to pull out of my pocket if i face sheiks that i find super annoying and cant beat.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
damn, i've been practicing the same thing that you've been doing. i've been learning some puff and fox stuff to pull out of my pocket if i face sheiks that i find super annoying and cant beat.
It's usually better to master yourself first because even if you are choosing another character for this matchup, you aren't quite learning all the intricacies needed to push your level beyond what you are currently capable of. The reason why Im doing it is because I had similar results every single time for years against Sheik so at some point it's change or just keep getting owned.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Alright guys, I'm going to be doing a $20 MM vs. this ICs player in my state. I need to know the matchup so that I can wreck this kid. ICs is considerably one of my hardest matchups if my opponent knows how to desync well and do good grab combos. I don't know how well this guys ICs are, but I'm preparing for him to be pretty good.

I know I should separate the two climbers, but I'd really like to know what else I can do in the match-up.

Top Bottom