• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
When you all play ganon, do you ever edge-hop into an uair? I find it to be really effective in slo-mo (where I figured it out), but when I try to apply it full speed, its difficult to get the uair off quick enough.
To do this I tap down on the c-stick, then up on the control stick and hold up diagonally, and then up-cstick in a very quick period of time. it's certainly doable.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
When you all play ganon, do you ever edge-hop into an uair? I find it to be really effective in slo-mo (where I figured it out), but when I try to apply it full speed, its difficult to get the uair off quick enough.

Ya sometimes, it's something to do if you call an immediate attack from the opponent.. if you fail to hit it however it can be quite dangerous.. be careful when you use it.

Renth

Smash Hero
Ya sometimes, it's something to do if you call an immediate attack from the opponent.. if you fail to hit it however it can be quite dangerous.. be careful when you use it.

I like to use it quickly, like the moment you grab the ledge try to do it instantly.

The most use I've ever gotten out of it is in teams. If you get one of your enemies off stage and their team mate is trying to help them. You up air hit the person on the stage then your toes gimp the recovering enemy.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
if you have time and the situation calls for it, simply ledge hopping, landing, and immediately doing a sh uair is fast, and safer since you'd have your dj if you got hit.

Coastward

Smash Lord
when i try to do this, i use my cstick instead of the control stick + a to perform the uair, but i always flub it so instead i end up doing a fair and sding. i tend to stay away from it because imo its pretty situational, and because i cant do it half of the time lmao.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It only works against people who likes to be very risky or dumb and hang out right in front of the ledge.
Feels nice when someone else understands these situations... =D

when i try to do this, i use my cstick instead of the control stick + a to perform the uair, but i always flub it so instead i end up doing a fair and sding. i tend to stay away from it because imo its pretty situational, and because i cant do it half of the time lmao.
Practice harder! And ya of course C-stick up for uair, much faster I think.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
i saw the bowser down-b suicide and I stopped watching LOL

I think you are pretty good at the floatyish match-up Coastward, but I'm guessing (educated) that you're not as proficient against the fast-fallers such as falcon and space animals. Yes Bowser is floaty to me.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i saw the bowser down-b suicide and I stopped watching LOL

I think you are pretty good at the floatyish match-up Coastward, but I'm guessing (educated) that you're not as proficient against the fast-fallers such as falcon and space animals. Yes Bowser is floaty to me.
i DEFINITELY need more experience with fast fallers. everyone in my area plays floaties except for like 1 person. thanks for the compliment. :)

tm

Smash Ace
Lol europhoria started doing better later for sure.

How did you extract that bit of information, Bizzarro?

Coastward

Smash Lord

well i definitely woulda won this if i really put the effort in. i mostly just wanted to get on stream and show off moonwalks and stuff.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord

Because I could tell by the way that Coastward posts that he's not too confident with the fast-fallers match-up. It's all about reading between the lines after being in the smash community for a while.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Coastward, the moonwalking tech skill is cute and all, but that's not what you should be doing on stream, especially for a money match. Euphoria was reading you like a book. You kept throwing out moves that were risky and didn't accomplish anything. Work on reading your opponent and being more patient, I used to be like that and I'm still working on my reading skills, but I'm definitely playing Ganon much slower now.

tm

Smash Ace
Coastward, how is your vs marth game?

I'm similar in that I generally play better vs floatier chars, but with the exception of marth. I think it's because the amount of pressure he can apply in the neutral game. The matchup is apparently even but I have trouble seeing it that way. Both chars offstage should be dead, but onstage I find it super hard to get in due to his better reach / speed / less lag.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Coastward, the moonwalking tech skill is cute and all, but that's not what you should be doing on stream, especially for a money match. Euphoria was reading you like a book. You kept throwing out moves that were risky and didn't accomplish anything. Work on reading your opponent and being more patient, I used to be like that and I'm still working on my reading skills, but I'm definitely playing Ganon much slower now.
I didn't think my reading skills were THAT bad, maybe I was flustered that day idk. But I'll look into it thanks.

Coastward, how is your vs marth game?

I'm similar in that I generally play better vs floatier chars, but with the exception of marth. I think it's because the amount of pressure he can apply in the neutral game. The matchup is apparently even but I have trouble seeing it that way. Both chars offstage should be dead, but onstage I find it super hard to get in due to his better reach / speed / less lag.
Well, since one of my training partners plays Marth I have some experience with the MU. Basically I just try to keep myself spaced and when I see an opening I either try to get him off the stage or up in the air. Distance yourself with wavelanding jabs/ftilts imo. Oh, and I bair a lot since it covers a lot of options. :)

If you want I can get some Marth footage soon so you can watch.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Falcon for most fun matchup. Ask ripple, I think I put his falcon in the hospital the other day. Marth is tricky to me still. Make sure you DI down and away, tm, it makes a world of difference.

I still can't get around marths nair, maybe I'm jumping too much? I know uair beats it, but if he doesn't nair, then I've already committed to being in the air and then I die because utilt

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Falcon for most fun matchup. Ask ripple, I think I put his falcon in the hospital the other day. Marth is tricky to me still. Make sure you DI down and away, tm, it makes a world of difference.

I still can't get around marths nair, maybe I'm jumping too much? I know uair beats it, but if he doesn't nair, then I've already committed to being in the air and then I die because utilt

Why are you already committed? Beating Marth is having a good ground game! Bair also really good vs nair. Find your spacing where you won't get grabbed and you can be ready for a counter-attack, use your tilts to force Marth into the air. Move, DD, WD! lol.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Kage, you're probably right about the tilt thing, its just my ground game is suuuuper weak so I overconpensate with wavelands and areals. Thanks for the advice, I've gotten way better at the matchup since I started, but ripples marth is his only character (besides sheik) that I can't go pretty even with.

Linguini, uair is awesome vs marth, the reason I do it is because I saw you do it lol, it seems like you play that matchup in your shield 50% of the time and I still don't understand how you don't get grabbed.

Ian I'd love to see you guys at apex, but I'm gonna be in England all next semester and that **** ain't cheap lol gotta save some c@sh

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
my falcon is super jank and thats the only reason you think it's fun to play against falcon.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Actually the other day, we went very even! He still trashed me with marth and that **** sheik, but the matches with samus, yoshi, and dk were generally pretty close, easily the closest they've ever been.

And rip the reason I like falcon is because I learned how to play this game vs ppv, tim, Kevin, jack, and bibi (ALL falcon mains, literally nobody else lol).

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'd Been playing pm. Johns, cold hands, etc...

I also never care to play well with yoshi because its extremely boring to be on the ledge the whole game and trash you with eggs and get up attacks

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage, you're probably right about the tilt thing, its just my ground game is suuuuper weak so I overconpensate with wavelands and areals. Thanks for the advice, I've gotten way better at the matchup since I started, but ripples marth is his only character (besides sheik) that I can't go pretty even with.

Linguini, uair is awesome vs marth, the reason I do it is because I saw you do it lol, it seems like you play that matchup in your shield 50% of the time and I still don't understand how you don't get grabbed.

Ian I'd love to see you guys at apex, but I'm gonna be in England all next semester and that **** ain't cheap lol gotta save some c@sh
Instead of going even.. try to go beyond that. =) If you know your mistakes, fix them! lol. It might be a frustrating process but when you eliminate situations you have a hard time with, you will not lose your style, you will become better then you can style ALL YOU WANT. Surpass your masters/rivals.

I'd Been playing pm. Johns, cold hands, etc...

I also never care to play well with yoshi because its extremely boring to be on the ledge the whole game and trash you with eggs and get up attacks

Lmao, why dont you give him some tips in real time? I dont know if its because you want to maintain superiority over your student but I think its also important he learns his bad habits.. you should know him the best. You should point them out then you will have a harder time vs him.. then that means you can also adapt with what new habits he has and then you can both grow at a steady rate! If you keep shutting him down then both your levels won't change that much.. well unless he actually learns on his own. =P

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Joe learns on his own and has been improving. he doesn't need me to constantly tell him things. if he does have questions, he usually asks.

he's also at that stage where I can tell when he's going to mix things up, and learning when to mix things up only comes with experience

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Joe learns on his own and has been improving. he doesn't need me to constantly tell him things. if he does have questions, he usually asks.

he's also at that stage where I can tell when he's going to mix things up, and learning when to mix things up only comes with experience

Ok but the problem with that is that sometimes you can only have questions with what your current perception of the game is so it can get difficult to push past certain plateaus. I mean if you notice recurring patterns, you should like.. mention it or trashtalk it lol.

tm

Smash Ace
I think pseudo and I are at a pretty similar level. And having said that, it's hard for me to say what I think he should have been doing instead in instances where he gets punished. Less B attacks from neutral would be a start though :p not that they aren't useful.

I also think that your platform sexiness after taking a stock puts you in a weird position, sometimes to be punished. Just a habit to think about. Your DI is good but not perfect. You made some but not a large number of tech flubs.

My advice is to take one element of your play and really focus on doing that one thing well & paying attention to where / in what situations you mess that thing up, then be really conscious of it and start improving it. Also when you get combod or sent offstage into an edgeguard or die, take a second and ask yourself what you did that led to that happening, like what mistake in particular led to it. This is pretty vague, but it's the best I got and I think it will help if you focus. I don't have many matchup tips or hidden knowledge. You can CG DK from 27-69, but you might not be someone who wants to. I think shield dropping would be a useful skill for you to learn, and try smash DIing more to get out of combos or punishes on your recovery (instances where you're certain to be hit, and the hit will be predictable). Good luck improving :)

Coastward

Smash Lord
i've been getting rocked over the past couple of weeks and i have no idea why. i've been dropping combos that i shouldn't be and dropping entire sets against people that i usually do well against.

been watching a lot of matches on youtube to clear my head or something so hopefully i get out of this slump soon.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@Coastward
Have you been practicing on your own a bunch lately? I know I have these slumps sometime as well, but they are usually fixed when I play a different character or when I go and practice by myself for a bit.

Coastward

Smash Lord
@Coastward
Have you been practicing on your own a bunch lately? I know I have these slumps sometime as well, but they are usually fixed when I play a different character or when I go and practice by myself for a bit.
i actually haven't played alone in a while, maybe i should do that lol

Top Bottom