• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
lol shots fired

Anyway, real question time. What do you do when you're facing a spacie that will DI away your dthrow and then DI away your jab when you're trying to set up for the kage combo? Should I just watch to see how they DI and then just not go for the jab if they DI away? Or should I still jab and then go for run up dtilt when they miss the tech?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Got nice and buzzed, had a bye, beat a Falco, lost to a decent peach (recorded... accidental fsmash lost me game 2), beat a peach, beat a Falco, had to forfeit. 9th out of 38 Lol fml.

And yes someone gfycat that for renth so I can actually see it lol.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I don't know how to gfycat a twitch vod. In other news, Pseudo with the videos baby.

SISF (sheik) (LOLLLLL @ -ACE- -ACE- what were you saying about WF to up air?)
Wake n Vape (Peach)

@ TheMentaculus TheMentaculus don't worry bro, those were friendlies lol. I'm 4-0 in sets vs Ten in tournament and I think it's 8-1 for games. I haven't played Metroid in almost a year also, but he's an old school midwest bro. Beat me last time we played.

edit: Damn I was racing around Dream Land vs that peach. @spider_sense you have competition ;)

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol shots fired

Anyway, real question time. What do you do when you're facing a spacie that will DI away your dthrow and then DI away your jab when you're trying to set up for the kage combo? Should I just watch to see how they DI and then just not go for the jab if they DI away? Or should I still jab and then go for run up dtilt when they miss the tech?
Well more often than not they will miss their tech if you forced it to begin with by doing a few chain grabs with the Linguini tactic. You re-grab them just before they are able to tech so the next time they fall on the ground they cannot tech, its a forced no tech situation which is why im able to get it so often. If they DI away the jab after the downthrow then run after them for a techchase, no choice. You want them cornered as much as possible. If they roll inside well its easy for Ganon to get a stomp in that situation... If they have little room in the corner then you should try to cover tech away and in place with Fair or downtilt.

But you know if you want to optimize that situation, you really need to tell me the % as well because the moves you are going for depends a lot on how much % they have and where they fell on the ground. I think thats mainly why Ganons fail to get the W.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Well more often than not they will miss their tech if you forced it to begin with by doing a few chain grabs with the Linguini tactic. You re-grab them just before they are able to tech so the next time they fall on the ground they cannot tech, its a forced no tech situation which is why im able to get it so often. If they DI away the jab after the downthrow then run after them for a techchase, no choice. You want them cornered as much as possible. If they roll inside well its easy for Ganon to get a stomp in that situation... If they have little room in the corner then you should try to cover tech away and in place with Fair or downtilt.

But you know if you want to optimize that situation, you really need to tell me the % as well because the moves you are going for depends a lot on how much % they have and where they fell on the ground. I think thats mainly why Ganons fail to get the W.
First of all, how does re-grabbing them force them to miss their tech the next time? I knew it was good for conditioning, but I didn't know that would literally force a missed tech.

As for percent, I usually go for this setup between 40-50ish. I never use it past 60 because the jab always sends people flying too far regardless of di. I feel like this is the best time to do it, but I'm unsure if I always should go for it. Like if there is a platform above me I am not sure whether to uthrow them onto it and follow-up with uair/bair/fair on reaction or to do this combo. And then I'm even more unsure when it's a situation where they could DI onto a platform from a uthrow but don't have to.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
First of all, how does re-grabbing them force them to miss their tech the next time? I knew it was good for conditioning, but I didn't know that would literally force a missed tech.

As for percent, I usually go for this setup between 40-50ish. I never use it past 60 because the jab always sends people flying too far regardless of di. I feel like this is the best time to do it, but I'm unsure if I always should go for it. Like if there is a platform above me I am not sure whether to uthrow them onto it and follow-up with uair/bair/fair on reaction or to do this combo. And then I'm even more unsure when it's a situation where they could DI onto a platform from a uthrow but don't have to.
Ya you're right about the % there, if they are higher than go for down-b or ftilt to send closer to the ledge or off-stage. As for the no-tech trap, its because if they pressed tech right before they hit the ground they cant do it for the next 2/3 of a second which is why the double grab setup on spacies is good.

Edit: 2 sick gfycats.

http://gfycat.com/SimpleImmediateDragon
http://gfycat.com/RightRepentantAnemoneshrimp

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
got third at a local today, lost twice to the guy who got second, ****ing falco.

cool stock: http://www.twitch.tv/vanstreetbattle/b/671260071?t=2h58m27s
scroll backwards if you want to see me winning, forwards to see me losing.

edit: my glorious '**** falco' game when i defected to fox; http://www.twitch.tv/vanstreetbattle/b/671260071?t=3h02m22s

edit 2: http://www.twitch.tv/vanstreetbattle/b/671260071?t=1h40m57s I blame my traitorous character switch second game for my loss. (nah mike's good and falco is an asshole)

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Ya you're right about the % there, if they are higher than go for down-b or ftilt to send closer to the ledge or off-stage. As for the no-tech trap, its because if they pressed tech right before they hit the ground they cant do it for the next 2/3 of a second which is why the double grab setup on spacies is good.

Edit: 2 sick gfycats.

http://gfycat.com/SimpleImmediateDragon
http://gfycat.com/RightRepentantAnemoneshrimp
Ohhhh I see what you meant by the speed of the throw now. That's really cool.

I am still unsure of what is the best choice for throws and setups when you are around platforms. I think that although Ganon's grab game is very reliant on percents, as you pointed out, it is also extremely reliant on positioning. I want to break up all the stages into several zones and break down what to do in each zone at each percent range.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ohhhh I see what you meant by the speed of the throw now. That's really cool.

I am still unsure of what is the best choice for throws and setups when you are around platforms. I think that although Ganon's grab game is very reliant on percents, as you pointed out, it is also extremely reliant on positioning. I want to break up all the stages into several zones and break down what to do in each zone at each percent range.
Good man, thats exactly what you need to do. =P I dont hear this very often. Most people just fawn over my advice and then just play friendlies like scrubs lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
What about this regrab tactic when someone DI's behind right off the bat? Plenty of good players do. If you're good enough to turnaround dash jc grab that off reaction, you should just chaingrab in some of these situations (into techchase as you please).

Its good to know the % at which fastfallers land on lower platforms from dthrow, lots of missed techs in those situations (free uair at minimum). Helps when you grab someone facing center stage near the ledge, under the center of a lower plat when you know if they DI the uthrow away they'll be sent too far to land on the plat.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
If they did that I would jab. Much easier.

I just realized something. If you can make someone miss their tech by throwing them fast enough, what is the point of jabbing? You run the risk they will DI that away and then you will have to tech chase. That's alright, but I'd rather force a missed tech in a situation where I'm guaranteed to get the dair no matter how they DI. In other words, just let them fall after the dthrow.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Jab is easier, grab is far superior.

From 0% dthrow > jab > dash jc grab > dthrow > jab > dash jc grab > whatever you want is legit until they DI away.

^^ very fast, you can often get a regrab before they remember to DI away.

Jab is good in some situations, but most I prefer regrab or techchase.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
man, next time kage comes to toronto, im just gonna make a ton of gfycats and rub it in his face lmao.
Fvck yeah lol. Do itttt

That first gfy is how you ditto. Offstage, keep him there.

Next time you start on the top platform with him on the lower plat in front of you, just wd back and drop through with aerial/wL.

megacrusher9999

Smash Cadet
As a seasoned veteran in the ditto and having observed Rock Crock for quite sometime I can attest he is exceptional in the ganon ditto.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Jab is easier, grab is far superior.

From 0% dthrow > jab > dash jc grab > dthrow > jab > dash jc grab > whatever you want is legit until they DI away.

^^ very fast, you can often get a regrab before they remember to DI away.

Jab is good in some situations, but most I prefer regrab or techchase.
I say do jab there because unless they are at like 60+, you will have to react extremely fast. All the other DI you can watch long enough before making a decision. So just watch them DI for a split second and then regrab in all scenarios (DI away, no DI, little DI behind (to the point where you would have to dash)) except for when they do that DI. Then you turn around and do a late jab and try to tech chase from there. But I discovered something better today.

I got to play some friendlies with Gravy, and we tested some cool **** out. We did this with Falcon, but I'm sure it work with spacies too. If you dthrow and they DI behind you, buffer a turn around, wait for them to hit the ground, jab and then grab to cover tech in place and missed tech. We also tested whether you could react to a tech behind you, and it turns out that if you analog jump bair (I forget if you have to pivot or not, you might).....you still can't reliably cover that tech lolll. But you come so close, like the edge of the hitbox is literally touching falcon. But a lot of players probably will not expect you to try and cover three options like that, so it might work if they don't immediately shield. I wonder if the bair would hit Fox or Falco. I think since their techs are shorter it might, but someone will have to test it.

I also learned today that I fvucking suck at following up grabs against Falcon if they don't DI onto platforms. Gravy just kept avoiding the platforms and I missed opportunities to follow up. I think that in some situations where Falcon has to DI behind you off the uthrow to avoid the platform at certain percents (is it like 40 or something???) you can just turn around grab. But I kept ****ing that up because I would jc the grab and not turn around loll.

But one thing he showed me was the power of using pivots to tech chase Falcon. Pivot dsmash and wizard foot is a great way to tech chase Falcon as they will not expect you to change directions like that. It works very well.

Finally, (sorry for the wall of text guys, I'm only now starting to get this game so I have a lot to say haha) randy usmashes in neutral fvucking work against Falcon. It's hilarious. I also managed to do a reverse usmash to punish and kill a missed sweetspot. Sooooooo swaggg.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Also all you frauds should learn how to dash behind out of a crouch. That **** is hard as balls, but super useful for Ganon. Also jumping behind yourself while changing directions in mid air is pretty cool thing. I gotta learn how to do that consistently too.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Last edited:
Top Bottom