• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
just tried this out and holy **** is it good. i think you gotta bring your control stick back more than a quarter circle, but its still powerful. this can definitely help mix up pressure and just stop jumping fox nair approaches and stuff like that. now calling this "The Skytch Punch".
I'm sure it's not a new thing though, but yeah it has to be a little more than a quarter circle, but you obviously got the point.

If it's gonna have a name, call it "The Lockedown."

Renth

Smash Hero
Sorry friends, I've put so many years into Ganondorf and I am becoming more and more bored with playing melee. I simply, even with all the tools. Knowledge, experience, great inspirations, training partners with the likes of. RockCrock, Eikelmann, Linguini, Spider_Sense and I many many others. I cannot go any farther with Ganondorf, I've pushed, I've fought but it's time for something new.

It's going to be a long road, learning a new character mostly. I mean, I have a pocket falco. Who doesn't? I will still stop by to hand out ganondorf advice from the epitome of experience i've gathered over the years. I will likely still use Ganondorf for counter picks ; ice climbers, peach ect. Over all. I just need something new to refresh my love for the game.

Back in the dark ages before Ganondorf had shown much of any potential, I had spent years trying to develop a fancy and fast play style. I have achieved what I set out to do then however, being a turbo wavelanding meat mountain. I lost a lot of the foundation that makes you a good player. I reach out to all of you ;

stop waveland approaching blindly, get better spacing, practice chain grabbing often, every opportunity Ganondorf gets he needs the MAXIMIZE the punishment (same could be said for any character) but the point is. Ganondorf doesn't get many options in most situations.. Be the man I couldn't be.

Thank you all for your never-ending love and support.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Sorry friends, I've put so many years into Ganondorf and I am becoming more and more bored with playing melee. I simply, even with all the tools. Knowledge, experience, great inspirations, training partners with the likes of. RockCrock, Eikelmann, Linguini, Spider_Sense and I many many others. I cannot go any farther with Ganondorf, I've pushed, I've fought but it's time for something new.

It's going to be a long road, learning a new character mostly. I mean, I have a pocket falco. Who doesn't? I will still stop by to hand out ganondorf advice from the epitome of experience i've gathered over the years. I will likely still use Ganondorf for counter picks ; ice climbers, peach ect. Over all. I just need something new to refresh my love for the game.

Back in the dark ages before Ganondorf had shown much of any potential, I had spent years trying to develop a fancy and fast play style. I have achieved what I set out to do then however, being a turbo wavelanding meat mountain. I lost a lot of the foundation that makes you a good player. I reach out to all of you ;

stop waveland approaching blindly, get better spacing, practice chain grabbing often, every opportunity Ganondorf gets he needs the MAXIMIZE the punishment (same could be said for any character) but the point is. Ganondorf doesn't get many options in most situations.. Be the man I couldn't be.

Thank you all for your never-ending love and support.
hilarious.

Renth

Smash Hero
You're right, it is hilarious how much time I've spent with a character I haven't improved with in years.

Renth

Smash Hero
Everyone says there is work to but is anyone actually coming up with anything new?

When was the last Ganondorf discovery. 2008? at the latest? Probably not even that late.. Even then anything discovered doesn't actually improve the character it's just another easily beaten gimmick you can beat by camping him.

Last edited:

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Ace is the homie. Playing such a chill and awesome guy like you really made my day!!! I've been waiting like 6 years to play you!

I hope I made you guys a bit proud, I had a long and hard bracket with a bunch of smashers who are not well known but are hidden bosses. I feel bad for Loki facing Tafokintz early in Losers'

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Got 13th today at a local. I made it out of pools with a 3rd seed, but the bracket got totally ****ed and I was gonna play at least 1 of 3 really good people regardless as soon as i got into bracket. Plus the guy I beat to get 3rd seed got someone easy to play in bracket, as well as a puff friend of mine.

The ****ing luck that I have. Ah well, I beat Eddie. I'm just happy about that.

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys do to improve when you don't have anyone in your area to play with? I feel like I'm hitting a wall, and moving out of the dorm for the summer is just making it that much worse. Should I just not bother with CPU's?

Coastward

Smash Lord
What do you guys do to improve when you don't have anyone in your area to play with? I feel like I'm hitting a wall, and moving out of the dorm for the summer is just making it that much worse. Should I just not bother with CPU's?
if i dont have anyone to play with, i just practice movement.

lately i've just been studying matchups. i heard this thing from mike ross about how they didnt have notes for characters back in the early days of street fighter, so they made these things called "option bubbles".

you basically think of a situation you're in, and you write out all of the options that you have and all of the options that your opponent has. then you see which options are more in your favour. it's a bit redundant but it can be useful.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Movement is all I'd work on, and I'd work on mixing it up as best as you can. Don't develop patterned movement because then your opponents will just intercept you once they figure it out.

Linguini

Smash Master
good **** bizz.

training all this week for ceo. haven't played in months but hopefully I can shake off some rust and embarrass a few people. See the ganon homies there

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So when i was playing some matches against good players yesterday, I was told that I need to know when to put out hitboxes in the neutral game and learn how to zone properly. I feel like doing that is still baiting with your movement, but I also feel like when I try to "zone" i throw out too many aerials or moves and I'm not fully sure when I should put out hitboxes in the neutral game. Could someone explain this better to me? What, specifically, am I supposed to do?

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
If opponent is being aggressive, put out hit-boxes and hope you either out-prioritize or trade.

If opponent is being passive, never just put out hit-boxes. You don't have to do anything as Ganon to put forth a threat. Just standing in front of your opponent already puts your opponent in such a stressful position.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yo, I just tried holding the control stick downward (straight down and slightly back) I also got this from tech from Lambchops, but anyways what happens in those neutral game moment when the spacies try to jab yourself or walk up shine, you hold that input and Ganon with ASDI perfectly cause he'll be crouching but if you mash A his jab will come out instantly and I'm not too sure about this, but if Ganon is shielding smash di and get the Guini grab if theu try to jab your shield and it'll help with grabbing those annoying shines too. Funny thing is I'm going to be playing Lambchops/Zidane in about a few (a really good fox vs Ganon) to see if this will be broken. lol But you guys should try this out for yourself.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Im finding more and more that ganon's roll is very useful, especially for spacing purposes. I was told at first rolling too much is bad but now it seems like a very good tool

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes roll back when my opponent approaches, but a lot of the top tiers (Spacies, Falcon, Sheik) are so fast that they're often on you before you're even done rolling in my experience.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Don't stay in your shield too much. I have this problem still, and for some reason, I can't break the habit. Wavedash OOS imo is underused, especially vs. spacing characters like Marth (not overly useful vs the spacies).

Spidey, I haven't played in a while, but I'll try it out. Linguini got more shield grabs against spacies than anyone I know.

Rolling towards when falco approaches is pretty broken though. Instant relief from the pressure as long as he doesn't read it. Roll out of there before he even dairs your shield.

Superspright

Smash Lord
You should really be properly spaced so you can shield grab his dair IMO. Rolling away returns to neutral, and Falco isn't really safe just dairing on your shield.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Don't stay in your shield too much. I have this problem still, and for some reason, I can't break the habit. Wavedash OOS imo is underused, especially vs. spacing characters like Marth (not overly useful vs the spacies).
this is still a major problem for me too. this usually costs me a lot of matches so i'm trying to just change it up.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I still need to incorporate WD OoS more. I just don't do it enough to keep my space.

Also, I'm really thinking about getting a mid-tier pocket character as a counter to Ganon's bad matchups. I was thinking Samus cause she looks fun and has awesome recovery, but out of the other mid-tiers, who would be a better choice?

Yeah just scratch that.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
WD OOS isnt that bad compared to ganon's other options (he hardly has any lol). Frame perfect dash away is good. And rolling is obviously safer when your opponent's approach isn't spaced well. Usually this would mean something like causing them to overshoot the approach and you buffer a roll through falco, but rolling away has it's place too. Full jump dair oos is just as good of an evasive measure as it is a slick offensive maneuver. Definitely a good mixup, as well as a buffered spot dodge if they start to read your rolls.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
UP-B OoS is godly when used right. The grab is better than Marth's (frame 13 is wtf) I think and can be pivoted, and most ppl mistake it for a jump squat. I love doing powershield-> UP-B recently.

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man. It really throws people off. They dont expect it a lot
UP-B OoS is godly when used right. The grab is better than Marth's (frame 13 is wtf) I think and can be pivoted, and most ppl mistake it for a jump squat. I love doing powershield-> UP-B recently.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Hey ace in mu region i find i roll to grab aginst marth than most characters. Should i break that habit? I figured it was safe since marths moves don't stay out for long.
WD OOS isnt that bad compared to ganon's other options (he hardly has any lol). Frame perfect dash away is good. And rolling is obviously safer when your opponent's approach isn't spaced well. Usually this would mean something like causing them to overshoot the approach and you buffer a roll through falco, but rolling away has it's place too. Full jump dair oos is just as good of an evasive measure as it is a slick offensive maneuver. Definitely a good mixup, as well as a buffered spot dodge if they start to read your rolls.

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
Dropping shield into jab can sometimes work pretty well.

EDIT:

I said grab when I meant jab.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
I just played about 5 hours of smash...

Turns out its not ganondorf I was bored of, I just needed some motivation some fire. MLG was hype so I got hyped and played really well today with the dark lord

Note: I have emo moments, I am a child at times, I often claim to hate ganondorf and that I am not playing him.

Note Note:

@ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] KNows me very well

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hey ace in mu region i find i roll to grab aginst marth than most characters. Should i break that habit? I figured it was safe since marths moves don't stay out for long.
Yes, that's nowhere near reliable. You don't want to roll towards marth, hardly ever. You need to maintain a good distance from marth. If you can picture getting tipper'd by marth, you want to be roughly twice that far away AND mobile (this allows you to react quicker, especially out of a dash dance, and can bait/fake them out) in the neutral game. You want to maintain safety but be close enough to punish.

Get grabs by shielding sh fairs while holding down and in, from sneaky perfect wavelands, tomahawks, and shielded fsmashes if you can perfect wd oos.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I need to start visualizing a bubble around my opponent where the bubble is the area that they can immediately attack. I still keep forgetting the range of Marth's attack and get hit off guard when I'm trying to dashout of range and get tippered. Getting tippered out of nowhere when you're trying to space is one of the most annoying things marth can do to me. That and doing tech-chases off down-throw.

Top Bottom