• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Awesome Renth. Lookin really forward to that combo video.

Speaking of combo videos, I recently watched Weapons of Mass Destruction, heard the song Hell by Da Octopusss, and now there's this version that I really like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2mZiI2ltCY I might want to use this song for a combo video of my own.

Shoutouts to Linguini.

Coastward

Smash Lord
got some new matches in

http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/b/539183659
13:34 vs fox/marth
42:16 vs falcon
1:29:36 vs samus/marth

i wish i ate before this, didnt eat for the whole day and ended up playing smash til 12am lmao.
i was being really predictable and stale that night, was going for the better/smarter options and just facerolling with fairs. gotta crouch cancel and di better too.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ Coastward Coastward The fundamentla that you need to work on the most is your edge game. In your sets you linked above, I saw that you went for some really ballsy and unsafe edgeguards when it could have been a guarenteed stock in your favor. You struggled a lot at the edge and had difficulty closing out stocks. You seem to do alright in the neutral game, but from what I saw, your edgeguarding game needs real improvement. I saw almost no reverse up-airs to edgeguard falcon, or really anyone. The uptilt was a nice disrespect finisher, so I'll give you that one, but overall you had some pretty questionable edgeguard attempts that just got you killed instead. Reverse up-air is your friend, my friend. get that hitbox to hit the sweetspotters, jab the side-bs fox does, and marth killer the marth. I'm sure once your edgeguard game gets better you'll be taking some pretty good matches.

Renth

Smash Hero
First thing before I watch this video.

Ganondorf vs. Marth is not a bad match up at all. this commentator does not know his match ups coast and please do not listen to him

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So I was bored at work today and decided to do a Ganon main tier list for fun.

S-Tier
Kage
Linguini
Bizzaroflame

A-Tier
RockCrock
Tipman
Spidersense
ACE
Eikelmann
Dorsey
Renth

B-Tier
Loki
Pseudoturtle

C-Tier
tm
Coastward
CAPS LOCKE
Ranchaholic
Purple Killer
cpt jiggles

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
psuedoturtle is in my league.

1. Kage (wish linguini would have kept playing... good rivalry)
2. Linguini
3. Bizz
4. Tipman
5. Spider_Sense
6. RockCrock
7. Eikelmann
8. Renth
9/10. Pseudoturtle/loki

If I had to guess. Ranking Ganons is so wack lol. Purposely didn't rank myself.

iRanch

Smash Cadet
So I was bored at work today and decided to do a Ganon main tier list for fun.

S-Tier
Kage
Linguini
Bizzaroflame

A-Tier
RockCrock
Tipman
Spidersense
ACE
Eikelmann
Dorsey
Renth

B-Tier
Loki
Pseudoturtle

C-Tier
tm
Coastward
CAPS LOCKE
Ranchaholic
Purple Killer
cpt jiggles
After CEO you're gonna put in in B-Tier 8)

Renth

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVFlw_9IpJ4

reposting again, This video is about half way done. I'm all about supporting other Ganondorfs and helping show all of you the potential speed and style you can accomplish with him. I do not claim to be better than anyone, even superspright whom I was rude to cause well I thought he was a prick.

edit: I am not attending CEO. I moved, am moving again next month, straight forward - I cannot afford it.

edit edit: TM I feel should be a spot higher.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
after watching renth's combo video thingy, i had an idea.

we should do a combo video with all of our ganon swagness. that'd be pretty cool.

also, does ganons nair, bair and uair auto cancel?

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
after watching renth's combo video thingy, i had an idea.

we should do a combo video with all of our ganon swagness. that'd be pretty cool.

also, does ganons nair, bair and uair auto cancel?
if you're talking from a short hop, nair i think auto-cancel's if your frame perfect and don't hit anything. but bair and uair are definitely auto canceled. if you're talking about onto platforms, sometimes nair does, but i haven't found a consistent way to do it.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Tm is at or around my level, possibly higher, assuming he's leveled up since last year (!)

And trail's ganon is definitely in that A-tier, even though he doesn't post here anymore except to occasionally drop by and talk **** (namely to kage lol). He's easily the best ganon between the coasts.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Hey guys I got my cube back and my tech skills are slowly returning. I have two questions though. What's the lowest percent can Ganon's dair pop up his opponents? Also, I cannot for life of me seem to get Ganon's true pivot f-tilt to come out consistently. I either dash attack or F-smash, it's really bothering me, because I need to get this tech down for CEO. I know it's timing that's based off feeling rather than visionary.

You guys really think Bizz is better than me? That guy is a fraud (a fraud I love of course <3) and I feel like Ian and Mark definitely deserve to be higher, along with Ace too.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Spidey, they also left out your buddy G. Vice ;)

Anyway, I can't pivot. I just can't do it. I can do everything else except pivot and therefore have labeled it useless (kidding).

Shield dropping on the other hand is pretty useful. If you watch gravy play, he shield drops all the time and it catches opponents off-guard. Then again- he's a falcon, and his moves come out more quickly from platform drops, so catching people off guard with a shield drop isn't really that viable as ganon.

On the other hand, I've found great use from using it as a counter-attack. For example: Marth tries to do that stupid tipper fsmash bull**** when you're on a platform, but is just a little too late and you end up shielding it. Now, you can shield drop bair. Falcon uairs you while you're shielding: let the uair hit the shield and then bair. I'm far from consistent with it, but the few times that I've actually made it work, I've had a 100% success rate (out of like 5 total times, of course. But I think you may legitimately have frame advantage vs. Marth tipper).

Last edited:

spider_sense

Smash Champion
lol I actually think G.Vice is pretty solid. He just quit I think. Alright, I'll try that next time against a Marth. If I find out anything else versus the rest of the cast I'll make sure to post up here. I think it might not be that viable either like you said, but at least it can provide Ganon with a safe escape from the platform which is definitely better than nothing.

I really think the pivot f-tilt needs to be explored more, because if Ganon could just throw out a tilt while dash dancing at will then it'd make his ground game immensely better imho. Who knows? But we'll never really know unless one of us tries.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yea, I was totally kidding, Tipman was doing that pivot **** back in '06 and in his combo video, I literally never expected it and was like "whoa, that's genius" every time he did it. I just can't get the hang of it which pisses me off because in the midwest, people are amazed at my tech skill (even though I point to players like you, bizz, and g vice) and I'd like to be well-versed in all of it.

As soon as I really perfect my shield drop technique, I'll be sure to experiment more with it, as opposed to only using it in 1 or 2 predetermined situations.

Totally 150% unrelated, but Clockwork Crypto LLC is now a registered business in the state of Illinois with CEO pseudoturtle. Can't release too many details as its still very much in the beta stages, but be on the lookout! It's the next big thing, boys ;)

(lol do you wanna sponsorship deal, Kage............?)

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
how could I forget zane?!?! (G. Vice). Definitely top 5.

I had a chance to meet him around 3 months ago in little rock. great guy. we played melee but it was hd. matches were meh. sloppy. but super fun

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Spidey, they also left out your buddy G. Vice ;)

Anyway, I can't pivot. I just can't do it. I can do everything else except pivot and therefore have labeled it useless (kidding).

Shield dropping on the other hand is pretty useful. If you watch gravy play, he shield drops all the time and it catches opponents off-guard. Then again- he's a falcon, and his moves come out more quickly from platform drops, so catching people off guard with a shield drop isn't really that viable as ganon.

On the other hand, I've found great use from using it as a counter-attack. For example: Marth tries to do that stupid tipper fsmash bull**** when you're on a platform, but is just a little too late and you end up shielding it. Now, you can shield drop bair. Falcon uairs you while you're shielding: let the uair hit the shield and then bair. I'm far from consistent with it, but the few times that I've actually made it work, I've had a 100% success rate (out of like 5 total times, of course. But I think you may legitimately have frame advantage vs. Marth tipper).
Ganon and Falcon's aerials are about the same speed if not the same...shield-dropping is probably equally effective.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Is it me or does ganon's up air come out quicker than falcons? Or is it just falcons jump lag lol. And yay i am on the list. Really need to get some tournament experience to see where i stand

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Falcon has less jump lag time and his uair comes out one frame faster than ganons if I'm not mistaken.

And yea man g vice is top 5 for sure. If any of you ganons haven't yet seen his combo video, devour, watch that now.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
But I think you may legitimately have frame advantage vs. Marth tipper).
I'll help you out. Marth tipper fsmash does 10 frames of shield stun, and probably hits you on frame 10, so you are left with 27 frames before the marth can even shield. Even tipper utilt gives you window of 15 frames to punish marth, and even ganon might be able to get a bair or uair out and low enough to hit before the marth can shield.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Just watched Tipman's triforce of power vid again. Wow he really did use pivots pretty well. I've been practicing pivoting and there is a very specific timing to it, but I can do the tilts and fsmashes pretty decently.

Another cool thing that I think could help Ganon a bit would be that while you are in your run animation, if you do a quarter circle from the direction you are running into down, and then right after that quick quarter-circle motion you hit A, you immediately jab out of your running animation. I think it can be really helpful cause jab is freaking 3 frames and running jab I think has good potential.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Another cool thing that I think could help Ganon a bit would be that while you are in your run animation, if you do a quarter circle from the direction you are running into down, and then right after that quick quarter-circle motion you hit A, you immediately jab out of your running animation. I think it can be really helpful cause jab is freaking 3 frames and running jab I think has good potential.
just tried this out and holy **** is it good. i think you gotta bring your control stick back more than a quarter circle, but its still powerful. this can definitely help mix up pressure and just stop jumping fox nair approaches and stuff like that. now calling this "The Skytch Punch".

roommate broke my laptop so i don't have a way to get on here anymore, expect lots more inactivity from me

hope to see you guys at ceo next week.
worst roommate, good luck at CEO though. wish i was going.

Top Bottom