• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Coastward

Smash Lord
got 13th at a 64 man bracket tourney today, coulda done better but i need to hit the lab more. gonna just practice with my buddy every single chance i get and dissect what im doing wrong and what i can do better. still one of my best placings though.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Good **** Ian, I wish I could have entered but showing up playing friendlies was mad fun. It was great meeting all the Ganon mains out there, you guys are all pretty damn good.

Linguini

Smash Master
Seeing as i'm retired I feel bad keeping this thread open. I barely even contribute lol. If anyone wants to make a ganon social and start using that instead go for it.

Had fun at ceo, tech was super rusty and I did ok considering I was relying on un cancelled fairs and hard dair reads trolol.

Was super impressed by loki...his falco game was looking solid

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
if renth was gay he could get into my pants with ease

oh and thanks guys. i also beat jake_13 with my ganondorf. money matched fiction on day three as ganondorf, every match was pretty damn close, but i also got 3-0'd so ultimately irrelevant.

regardless, i can feel myself ascending higher and higher as a player. being the best ganondorf was never truly a goal of mine, but after this weekend my mind has changed. bizz and kage better look out!

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
@ L Linguini

We all keep this thread alive with a lot of good information.

Basically, This thread is Ganondorf social. The thread title is just a tribute to you from back in the day I guess?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
As I had said before, I got a really stacked pool at CEO. First round I play WizKidRob who wasn't really very good and I did pretty decently against him even though nerves really got to me. Second set I had to play vs. Pi, which I felt like I had improved since the last time I played him at Tipped Off 9. Then, unfortunately, I had to play Eikelmann right after Pi, and I got bopped in the ditto. I got all the matches recorded and I will posted them all later when they're uploaded.

I also recorded Linguini vs. DJ Nintendo's set, which wasn't really that great, but I'll probably upload it anyway. It was nice getting to meet Emilio finally, it was just a shame that he really just doesn't care about the game enough anymore to really put effort into being the best.

For a long period of playing friendlies at the tournament, I had a bad mentality all throughout. On the way back from CEO, I was talking with my NC folks that I had shared a hotel room with the whole weekend about how to improve my mentality and what I want from this game. After long conversations where I felt conflicted and didn't really know what to do, I came to a conclusion to where I want to play the game to have fun, but also still learn to play the game and be better. Once I had brought this up, my friend Slasher King had told me to think of a character that I have the most fun with in the game that I have almost no complaints about.

That character is Falcon.

This does not mean I have completely given up on The Dark Lord just yet. I will still be playing him in doubles because he is much more viable there. I honestly feel that Falcon is the most fun character for me because of his speed, the tricks that I can do with him, his off stage stuff, etc. He really is the most fun character for me and I want to continue to play as him and get better as him cause I know I can be really good at this game as long as my mentality about everything is good.

I definitely still want to play Ganon in doubles, and I especially want to take doubles more seriously. My partner who plays Fox and I both like playing doubles a lot, and even though we haven't entered tournament too much, we feel like we do pretty well with each other and we plan on consistently teaming together.

I hope you guys can respect my decision that I am making here. It is what I want to do and I'm not letting anyone stop me from that.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
i dont wanna give up the character either.

it feels like i'm not going anywhere with him right now because i'm not performing well with him. i feel like if i just played fox i'd be doing way better, but i know there's way too much improvement to be had with this character. i wish there was more ganon players up here, the feels.

really proud with how you guys did at CEO, especially ian. :colorful:

iRanch

Smash Cadet
it feels like i'm not going anywhere with him right now because i'm not performing well with him. i feel like if i just played fox i'd be doing way better, but i know there's way too much improvement to be had with this character. i wish there was more ganon players up here, the feels.
I feel the same way sometimes. I get so fed up with almost losing to some Sheiks and Falcons that I know I can beat with my Falco, but playing well with Ganon just feels like the most rewarding thing in this game for me. I'm trying to focus less on the winning part and just get better at my ****tier matchups. I'm seeing tons of improvements in my play as of late, so I'm happy about that.

Also, my pool at CEO went okay I guess. Lost to Slasher King and The Author, whom I both consider a bit better than me, so I'm not very salty, but I didn't really beat anyone notable. Played okay vs Slasher, but played like ass against the Author. I can see myself beating them soon. Cool seein' ya again Caps Locke, and got to meet Ace finally.

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
My next tourney should be July 11th. I'll probably go Ganon again. I've always had a better fox and sheik, but with how much time I put into the game these days, and concerning my opponents, ganon typically produces more consistent results. Plus, ganon is the ****. Anyway, that's all. It should be a decent sized tourney for a state-wide one, winner of PM gets a WiiU. It's in LoZR's hometown, so he'll be there and several good to semi-decent smashers. Hopefully PPMD as well.

Last edited:

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
@ iRanch iRanch

I've known Bryan(Slasher) for 6 years or so. I played with him all day a few days before CEO, I went a bunch of chars but, probably did 20 matches with his marth v. my ganon. He used to be a falco main but he's stepped up his game a lot with this char switch.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
iRanch is a cool dude. ganon mains rock

But I'm really going to pick up marth now for campy spacies, puff, and sheik once I know marth vs sheik better. It would take too much time for me to get my ganon to the point where I can win 5-7 sets against good fox/falco mains in a row. That's basically what you have to be able to do nowadays with any character to be successful. I will play ganon for most matchups, but marth was my first serious main and I already have some experience vs spacies with him. Its just so much easier to get inside with marth. I love his DD and his wd comes more naturally to me than any other character. My spacing with marth is legit too, I just need more practice and experience to improve my decision making

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
we had like 8 ganons at ceo and not one made it out of pools that I know of. LOL its a rough life walking the path of the gerudo king

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Btw I would still except MM's with Ganon and stuff, any matchup. I also have to factor in how often I actually have time to practice, and Ganon + no practice doesn't work out well lol.

Btw. Once at CEO I grabbed a falco on FD at 85%, took him up to 140% and gave him the purple boot. This is one of my favorite things to do in smash LMAO. It's not often that any character can make a falco feel 100% helpless for that long (after he DI'd away once, he just kept going back and forth, pivot dash jcg too ez) and that is probably also a small reason why marth seems appealing to me.

I also wanted to MM kdj's fox with Ganon (it's always fun seeing top knotch players play against ganon if they haven't mastered the matchup) but he was always flooded with people trying to play him. I was one hit away from taking a game in a friendly set. Then I play someone like hax who will 3 stock the sh** out of me LOL

After getting eliminated, I went straight to the bar and had 3 double of scotch on the rocks, a 24oz heineken, and an LIT. drank a sh** load of water and played some friendlies.... then went to the liquor store and got a 6 pack and 2 fifths. Then I see lambchops (BEER MASTER) walking right in the venue with 2 beers and I was like "get wrecked MLG" (as in... CEO >>>> MLG) lmao. I went so hard I was doing backflips into the pool and stuff. good times.

that's about all i can remember from ceo.

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Man i still have mad problems with the falconatchup. One wrong move and i feel like one knee and im helpless! Or just carried into a knee

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Jiggles, falcon isn't so bad... It's a lot of moving around and beating his attacks with yours (ex bair beats knee, uair, and nair when spaced properly). Don't jump top much, tilts are awesome in this matchup, especially your up angled ftilt... Beats out his nair approach and even knee if timed correctly.

Crouch canceling is underused imo in this matchup and cc nair to jab/grab is pretty broken. If you're getting comboed, di down and away, he won't be able to combo you any further... But if you sense a knee coming, survival di that ****

Coastward

Smash Lord
no theyre changing some of the seeding because people complained about them.

macd westballz zero and sfat were in the same pool while juggleguy had like the easiest one.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So I was looking for your edgeguard attempts in this video to see if you've gotten better with them. First thing I see is you up-smashing to prepare to hit the Fox while he's up-bing. Yeah, not off to a good start. He goes for the up-b to the ledge again but this time you bair. Just not close enough to the fox. If you baired in between his up-b start-up and him traveling to the edge, you would have hit him. Dang, even the commentator said "Where was that Tipman?" reverse upair is your friend when firefox is below ledge. Okay, that was better. You waited for the firefox to end since he didn't sweetspot and baired him just as it was ending. Good stuff there. That last f-smash on you in game one was definitely ledge-techable. Work on those. It's so rewarding when you get them and turn the momentum around instantly. Actually nevermind, you got that nice tech on that dair from marth game 2. That was pretty good. the up-air edgeguard going deep wasn't necessary. Marth killer my dude. That next bair edgeguard was nice. It looked like you caught him off guard. That bair when he was going low again was a bit risky but it ended up working anyway. I would have marth killered there. Unless you weren't able to make it back, in that case, good ****. Nice last bair edgeguard for the last stock. At least you're using bair to a decent degree. Dude taking the third stock on PS was nice. You read that double jump with a fair. Feels good man. That last stock you got too pressured by Fox and you got stuck in your shield. Don't be in this situation, it's really bad for Ganon.

Good stuff overall. You still need to work on edgeguarding Fox though. You did pretty decently with everything else though.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Thanks dude. I need to think more when i play falcon, so i can react more
Jiggles, falcon isn't so bad... It's a lot of moving around and beating his attacks with yours (ex bair beats knee, uair, and nair when spaced properly). Don't jump top much, tilts are awesome in this matchup, especially your up angled ftilt... Beats out his nair approach and even knee if timed correctly.

Crouch canceling is underused imo in this matchup and cc nair to jab/grab is pretty broken. If you're getting comboed, di down and away, he won't be able to combo you any further... But if you sense a knee coming, survival di that ****

Coastward

Smash Lord
practiced my egdeguarding today.

even my buddies were ridiculing me with how bad it was, but i figured out my pacing and how i need to be more patient and simple. now i just gotta work on my spacing and these stale moves. -2000 points.

iRanch

Smash Cadet
So many Down-Bs by the ledge. Ian will always punish you for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTI1xox5lYc

some recent stuff of mine, played against one of the better fox players in bracket in my region. he also was high at the time lmao, i definitely coulda won this.
I feel like you had the right idea for lots of edgeguards, just mistimed. Other times where just too hard of reads.

Did you try to counterpick FD against Fox? If so, why? You could've punished Marth harder if you wavedashed out of shield and crouch cancelled more.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
So many Down-Bs by the ledge. Ian will always punish you for that.

I feel like you had the right idea for lots of edgeguards, just mistimed. Other times where just too hard of reads.

Did you try to counterpick FD against Fox? If so, why? You could've punished Marth harder if you wavedashed out of shield and crouch cancelled more.
i was trying to mind game him into staying fox so i could go ice climbers. he got super confused and went marth which still worked out.

Top Bottom