• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Smash Bros. Amiibos work

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
What I know about them:
  • They connect with your games via a chip built into the toy, read by the NFC reader (near-field communication)
  • They're compatible with both Wii U and 3DS.
  • For certain games, amiibos unlock stages, characters, etc. within your game
  • For Smash Bros. 4, what is known so far is that it lets you create customized CPU characters. But instead of going up to Level 9, you can rank up their Artificial Intelligence all the way to Level 50.
What a great way to sell DLC and not call it DLC

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is very likely true as well. I just don't think it's worth it for what it provides to me, personally. I could see other people feeling like it's worth it for sure. And it's true that the figures themselves are cool for collectors, inexpensive in this mindset.
If it's too expensive just make a kickstarter and hold up a sign that says WILL TWERK FOR TOYS

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
As long as Mii Fighters can be crafted as amiibos I'll be buying them. This whole thing just screams Pokemon in that you collect and level up characters to fight one another.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
As long as Mii Fighters can be crafted as amiibos I'll be buying them. This whole thing just screams Pokemon in that you collect and level up characters to fight one another.
What, you mean like a Nintendo owned store like Build-A-Bear where you can design and build your own Mii Fighter Amiibo?

I thought of that the other day, but instantly realized that would never happen.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
What, you mean like a Nintendo owned store like Build-A-Bear where you can design and build your own Mii Fighter Amiibo?

I thought of that the other day, but instantly realized that would never happen.
Yeah, I guess Nintendo has an intense fear of too much success. It's why Geno's not in the game. /s

In all seriousness, we don't need a 3D printer to make OUR Miis, just a generic Mii figure that REPRESENTS our Mii. Otherwise it'd be like having a female Robin Amiibo because of your alt costume choice.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I guess Nintendo has an intense fear of too much success. It's why Geno's not in the game. /s
They already had a similar program back in the day. Maybe around 1999? Where you could go to Blockbuster Videos and print out photos you took in Pokemon Snap. I don't think that was very successful. Likewise, I don't think they'd be too comfortable having some customized user-created game-merch related sales experience like that again.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Doesn't necessarily have to be official. They could combine the Mii Fighter amiibo stand with a Smash-version of this: http://www.figureprints.com/wow/

BUT much less expensive than that version. It probably would cost too much to be successful. But it's a potential idea for those who want to do the thing.

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Doesn't necessarily have to be official. They could combine the Mii Fighter amiibo stand with a Smash-version of this: http://www.figureprints.com/wow/

BUT much less expensive than that version. It probably would cost too much to be successful. But it's a potential idea for those who want to do the thing.
doubt it

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
What do you mean "doesn't have to be official"? You mean like a third party creating Mii Fighter amiibos?
What I'm meaning is, there are places you can send your DS to someone who will paint it/mod it/whatever. If you send your Mii Fighter Amiibo to such a place with the .mii file you have potential.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
They already had a similar program back in the day. Maybe around 1999? Where you could go to Blockbuster Videos and print out photos you took in Pokemon Snap. I don't think that was very successful. Likewise, I don't think they'd be too comfortable having some customized user-created game-merch related sales experience like that again.
I think the difference between those two are the results. One lets you print out stamps with your pokemon pictures on them, the other creates an intelligent AI of your OC that becomes stronger the more you fight with and against it that you can use against your friends that is unique to you because it's your creation. Though you're right that it won't work in that the costs of materials greatly outweigh how popular it would be, though.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I'm meaning is, there are places you can send your DS to someone who will paint it/mod it/whatever. If you send your Mii Fighter Amiibo to such a place with the .mii file you have potential.
If a third party tried to sell unofficial Nintendo merch, I imagine they'd get sued.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
If a third party tried to sell unofficial Nintendo merch, I imagine they'd get sued.
People do it all the time. It's very common. Artistic license generally extends to official Nintendo art. If someone printed a shirt design using an officially released render, they'd be breaching that. However, an original design/sculpture wouldn't necessarily have the same problem. Otherwise many sites like Teefury, Teeturtle, Etsy, etc would be very illegal in regard to copyright.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
People do it all the time. It's very common. Artistic license generally extends to official Nintendo art. If someone printed a shirt design using an officially released render, they'd be breaching that. However, an original design/sculpture wouldn't necessarily have the same problem. Otherwise many sites like Teefury, Teeturtle, Etsy, etc would be very illegal in regard to copyright.
You can make art with characters you don't own, if you'e not profiting from it. Or if it falls under fair use such as parody or satire.

I dont think you even need to do a render to get sued. You just need to use a characters likeness in a profitable way that is not a parody or journalistic or any other form of fair use.

Got any examples of something on Etsy or other sites that would be "very illegal"?

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You can make art with characters you don't own, if you'e not profiting from it. Or if it falls under fair use such as parody or satire.

I dont think you even need to do a render to get sued. You just need to use a characters likeness in a profitable way that is not a parody or journalistic or any other form of fair use.

Got any examples of something on Etsy or other sites that would be "very illegal"?
Take for example this shirt design from TeeTurtle.com:

Not illegal. Clearly the Eeveelutions altogether in the design. However, original art like the statues would be for the Mii Amiibo.

I would think, however, that this Etsy design would be illegal since it's using the official art from SSB4 without Nintendo's express consent:

But I'm not sure. IF this type of thing was illegal, I don't think these websites would be very popular/not getting sued all the time.

But I'm not a lawyer.

Last edited:

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Take for example this shirt design from TeeTurtle.com:

Not illegal. Clearly the Eeveelutions altogether in the design. However, original art like the statues would be for the Mii Amiibo.

I would think, however, that this Etsy design would be illegal since it's using the official art from SSB4 without Nintendo's express consent:

But I'm not sure. IF this type of thing was illegal, I don't think these websites would be very popular/not getting sued all the time.

But I'm not a lawyer.
I'm sorry, you linked to the artwork itself. I meant I wanted to see the page it was being sold on. The image itself doesn't provide really any useful info. The sales page might.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280

Actually, they have been talking about Custom Miis. Shigeru Miyamoto has a Custom Mii depicting himself. I think they told IGN that stuff.

Aldri

Smash Cadet
Does anyone think Nintendo would use Amiibos to unlock characters in Smash, like DLC? I could see an Amiibo maybe unlocking a different character--like the Samus Amiibo unlocks Ridley to fight against, the Pikachu one unlocks Mewtwo...wishful thinking, I know, but the thought is there. It would be cool.

I think Amiibos, though, while possibly useful for competitive players, are going to be really popular with kids. The kid can think of his toy as an opponent to play against, or a friend if the kid wants to team up with someone, and it will get better as the kid gets better too, etc. It's a really brilliant idea on Nintendo's part. No siblings, no problem, the kid can play against the Amiibo. I hope these things sell really well for Nintendo.

I don't know which Amiibo I want. They're all really cool. Possibly Kirby?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
No bad. Though it doesn't seem like there's been much said past that. Maybe they gave up?
Or maybe it is just a surprise waiting to really sell the figures. I predict after this first wave, these will be announced in the second or third wave, once other games besides Smash Bros finally begin to incorporate Amiiibos.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Or maybe it is just a surprise waiting to really sell the figures. I predict after this first wave, these will be announced in the second or third wave, once other games besides Smash Bros finally begin to incorporate Amiiibos.
Makes sense.

I guess with all the insane number of toys sold, it makes sense for them to break into this toy market headfirst and really push this.

Top Bottom