• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Smash Bros. Amiibos work

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone here getting their Smash Bros. 4 Amiibos?

I just pre-ordered my Link amiibo:

Here's the others if you're interested:
What I know about them:
  • They connect with your games via a chip built into the toy, read by the NFC reader (near-field communication)
  • They're compatible with both Wii U and 3DS.
  • For certain games, amiibos unlock stages, characters, etc. within your game
  • For Smash Bros. 4, what is known so far is that it lets you create customized CPU characters. But instead of going up to Level 9, you can rank up their Artificial Intelligence all the way to Level 50.

"In "Super Smash Bros 4" for Wii U, players can build a customized computer-controlled fighter based on the action figure that was scanned using the NFC feature in the Wii U Game Pad. The artificial intelligence of these characters can be increased to a maximum of 50 levels. Players can then saved the data using the Amiibo and bring it over to a friend's house and have the two computer-controlled characters battle."

Sounds cool, and it's nice to have a toy that actually has a functional value instead of just sitting on the shelf looking pretty. Also it's only like $12, so I already got my Link and may eventually get a couple more. Looking at Pikachu for sure.

(Nintendo, if you're reading this, please release Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Lucinia for sure. Maybe even Charizard. Thanks :)

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely getting a Samus and Zero Suit Samus (if they make one) one without a doubt. But I'll wait and see what else they have in store for them in other games to see how many others I'll get.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm definitely getting a Samus and Zero Suit Samus (if they make one) one without a doubt. But I'll wait and see what else they have in store for them in other games to see how many others I'll get.
I wonder if they'll make a Zero Suit Samus. If her boobs are too nice, the feminist might flip out and I don't think Nintendo likes to put itself in that position.

Even when they posted a picture of Zero Suit not too long ago on their facebook, and her boobs were big, they awkwardly mentioned in the description that the artist was female. I guess so the feminist wouldn't flip out and cry about sexism.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if they'll make a Zero Suit Samus. If her boobs are too nice, the feminist might flip out and I don't think Nintendo likes to put itself in that position.

Even when they posted a picture of Zero Suit not too long ago on their facebook, and her boobs were big, they awkwardly mentioned in the description that the artist was female. I guess so the feminist wouldn't flip out and cry about sexism.
Yeah I've been wondering about that too.. but then again, other companies had no problem making figurines like Asuka from Kotobuya Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (look her up to understand what I mean :p)

I dunno though, it's always a possibility haha

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
other companies
Yeah, would be kind of surprised if Nintendo did it though.

However, I have been surprised in the past. Even recently. When I played Fire Emblem: Awakenining I was amazed at how skimpy some of the girls outfits were, and with some of the poses. Maybe Nintendo is starting to loosen up?

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I guess we will see what Nintendo decides to bring us. I would also love to own Amiibo figurines from Palutena and the Duck Hunt dog, but I really wonder how those would interact with other games. I can see them adding characters in games like Mario Kart or Mario Party, but would they really do that for the more obscure characters?

For example if you think Kid Icarus, I can see them adding Pit, but Palutena?
It's still a big mystery to me to see how far they will take these things. Nintendo is entering new waters and I'm liking it!

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess we will see what Nintendo decides to bring us. I would also love to own Amiibo figurines from Palutena and the Duck Hunt dog, but I really wonder how those would interact with other games.
Do you know if an Amiibo can work for multiple games?

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Do you know if an Amiibo can work for multiple games?
"In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a variety of other games will offer amiibo compatibility. How they interact will vary from game to game."

That's taken from the Nintendo website together with their information on the first batch of Amiibo figurines. It would be strange to announce this only to tell everyone on a later date that you won't be able to use the 12 figurines launching in a couple of months for these other games, don't you think?

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
"In addition to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a variety of other games will offer amiibo compatibility. How they interact will vary from game to game."

That's taken from the Nintendo website together with their information on the first batch of Amiibo figurines. It would be strange to announce this only to tell everyone on a later date that you won't be able to use the 12 figurines launching in a couple of months for these other games, don't you think?
Not necessarily. We're talking about two different things here.

What that Nintendo's statement there says that a number of different games will be compatible with Amiibos.

What that statement does NOT say is whether any given Amiibo with be compatible with more than one game.

For example, to be more clear, they could come out with a line up of Mario Kart 8 amiibos (which is seems like they are going to do). But are those Mario Kart 8 amiibos also compatible with Smash Bros? Will Smash Bros amiibos be compatible with Mario Kart 8?

Not necessarily. Their statement would still be true, even if those different amiibos weren't compatible with more than one game.

Marcusjll

Smash Cadet
Really want them all, but to start maybe Peach, Pikachu and MArth. Want Zelda and Palutena!

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
Not necessarily. We're talking about two different things here.

What that Nintendo's statement there says that a number of different games will be compatible with Amiibos.

What that statement does NOT say is whether any given Amiibo with be compatible with more than one game.

For example, to be more clear, they could come out with a line up of Mario Kart 8 amiibos (which is seems like they are going to do). But are those Mario Kart 8 amiibos also compatible with Smash Bros? Will Smash Bros amiibos be compatible with Mario Kart 8?

Not necessarily. Their statement would still be true, even if those different amiibos weren't compatible with more than one game.

Hmm.. I see what you mean, but if each game ends up with a different line of Amiibo figurines then that would end up being expensive as heck for people who would die to collect them all x.x I don't know, I feel personally it would hurt my need to get these things. If I was presented with an Amiibo that works on an array of games or an array of Amiibos that only work on one game, I'd be much more tempted to buy that one figurine instead of a bunch of less useful ones.. But hey that's just my opinion about it.

I just hope they won't make it too complicated! (Now that I think about it... A Marth Amiibo figurine would be lovely to honor my main in Melee/Brawl <3)

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm.. I see what you mean, but if each game ends up with a different line of Amiibo figurines then that would end up being expensive as heck for people who would die to collect them all x.x I don't know, I feel personally it would hurt my need to get these things. If I was presented with an Amiibo that works on an array of games or an array of Amiibos that only work on one game, I'd be much more tempted to buy that one figurine instead of a bunch of less useful ones.. But hey that's just my opinion about it.

I just hope they won't make it too complicated! (Now that I think about it... A Marth Amiibo figurine would be lovely to honor my main in Melee/Brawl <3)
Agreed. I really hope they do the right thing and make them work cross-games. But these are the modern days of DLC and milking customers dry for every penny, so who knows. Hopefully they'll be more concerned with pleasing the customer than with making immediate money, because it'll benefit them in the long run.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Obviously need to get Marth because doing promotions of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon paid for my last two years of college. Beyond that, the Villager for his dead soulless eyes, and maybe the Wii Fit Trainer, because no one else will.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I used to do marketing work for Nintendo via a third party brand ambassador company. I wasn't really privy to anything secret, nor did I sign any NDAs (hence my openness about it). But we went to cons and stuff.

I'm chilling in the back to the right:

Sorry for derailing the topic.

SmashBroPlusB

Smash Cadet
NNID
smashbroplusb
3DS FC
3136-6824-7861
What, no Mega Man figurine? And after all the hype Nintendo built up for him, too...

There's no Bowser here, either... and the only heavy character figure is Donkey Kong? What gives, Nintendo?

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I recently made the decision to attempt trying to be good with all the characters, but I may end up just getting the characters I like.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
What, no Mega Man figurine? And after all the hype Nintendo built up for him, too...

There's no Bowser here, either... and the only heavy character figure is Donkey Kong? What gives, Nintendo?
I'm sure once the first batch are rolled out, more will follow soon (Since guys like Pit are already shown but not yet ready to release)

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer

Maybe due to the complications of property rights since it's Capcom's character?

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
I plan on getting Kirby and Pikachu at first, as well as Jigglypuff and Duck Hunt Dog when they are released later on. If I like playing as any other characters, I will probably get an amiibo of them too.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I used to do marketing work for Nintendo via a third party brand ambassador company. I wasn't really privy to anything secret, nor did I sign any NDAs (hence my openness about it). But we went to cons and stuff.

I'm chilling in the back to the right:

Sorry for derailing the topic.
lol nice

Btw, Marth looks way too buff.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
lol nice

Btw, Marth looks way too buff.
Hah well, I imagine most of the talent available in the Bay Area (this was their redwood city location) probably comes from more of the model side of things. He was a super chill guy - we used to go get beers in various parts of the US. Couldn't stop speaking in Japanese though.

I hope some of the more obscure characters have functionality in other games, even if it's just as a placeholder mii character or something.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I'm dying for Zero Suit Samus, Zelda and Lucina Amiibos.
I might also buy a Link and a Shulk.

That is if every character get's an Amiibo.
If they sell well, I reckon that we'll get the entire roster in Amiibo form.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm dying for Zero Suit Samus, Zelda and Lucina Amiibos.
I might also buy a Link and a Shulk.

That is if every character get's an Amiibo.
If they sell well, I reckon that we'll get the entire roster in Amiibo form.
Lucina and Zelda seem like obvious choices for the first wave of amiibos. No idea why they'd skip them.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I recently made the decision to attempt trying to be good with all the characters, but I may end up just getting the characters I like.
So Zero Suit Samus, then?

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I'll probably pick up Villager and Kirby in the first wave, and Robin, if he ever gets released.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just found an explanation video of Amiibos... they're even more awesome than I thought. And because of the way they work, I might end up getting more than I thought I would.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I'd kill for a Ness, Falco, Dr. Mario, and maybe even a R.O.B. Amiibo.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Probably none, I am not really into figurines.

Top Bottom