• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Kirby kind of looks like a paintball.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Warlock Punch also kind of looks like paint...

There may be hope for this game after all.

stripheR

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, how's it going? I live in Houston and am looking to enter the competitive scene. I used to go to local tournaments for brawl 4-5 years ago and play online on fsmash but haven't played since then. Looking forward to wii u and been playing it like crazy! Is there much of a scene here in houston? Also I work normal mon-fri so I'm hoping tournaments and stuff are at night/on the weekends usually.

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Hey guys, how's it going? I live in Houston and am looking to enter the competitive scene. I used to go to local tournaments for brawl 4-5 years ago and play online on fsmash but haven't played since then. Looking forward to wii u and been playing it like crazy! Is there much of a scene here in houston? Also I work normal mon-fri so I'm hoping tournaments and stuff are at night/on the weekends usually.
what area of houston are you in?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Training an amiibo is weird. Oh well, at least it's free gold and parts.

Attachments

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
TGC.jpg

The Road to TGC 2 is 12 days away and i have 2 very big updates to give you all.

1. The rules to The Road to TGC 2 have been updated. Stage list has been add. Event times have been change and a food break period has been added. Pikachu+Mr GW are legal in teams. Custom moves/miis/equipment are banned (temporarily). For a full rundown on what rules have changed, please go to the Road to TGC 2 thread and check it out.

2. Two brothers, Illmatic (the best American Peach in Brawl) and Kadin (the best Brawl Metaknight player at his pre-school) are going to do a $150 MM at The Road to TGC 2. Pikachu (illmatic) vs Diddy (kadin), 3/5 and customs legal. The set will be recorded and posted in every corner of the internet. Who do you think will win?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I disagree with Boxing Ring being legal. While those lights can be destroyed, I think the stage is still far too big for singles. But whatever.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I disagree with Boxing Ring being legal. While those lights can be destroyed, I think the stage is still far too big for singles. But whatever.
Halberd has stage hazards as did many stages in brawl. What did we do? We did the same thing we will do in smash 4........... run, air dodge, counter, roll...etc.

Also, having a big stage chosen is a counter to characters who kill easy. a COUNTER PICK STAGE, if you will.

Last edited:

Xyro77

If you were around at the beginning of Brawl (before it turned into garbage) the stage list was just as good.

Xyro77

Big Battlefield? Wii Fit Studio?? Boxing Ring??? LOL WTF
as the game gets more "gay" "unfair" "cheap" or whatever word you wish to use to describe the natural decay of smash, we take away stages. Until then, there is no need to butcher a brand new game.

Most of you came into the scene when the game was already butchered to hell so all these new stages might come as a shock to you. trust me, if you stick around a few years and watch the stage list shrink, you will eventually understand what ive been saying.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think you misunderstand my concern for Boxing Ring. It's too big, so people WILL circle camp on that stage. But you'll see it soon enough...

Xyro77

Day one of wii u m8
Word it correctly.

Also, as stated since before the first TGC was announced. these first 2 TGC events are tests. nothing i am doing is certain and many things will be tried. dont jump the gun and assume what i am doing now is forever true.

Kadin.

Smash Cadet
Welp TGC 2 singles will be timeout central. I agree with some of these stages for doubles maybe, but for singles those three stages make absolutely no sense.

Xyro77

I think you misunderstand my concern for Boxing Ring. It's too big, so people WILL circle camp on that stage. But you'll see it soon enough...
*destroys lights*
*avoids falling lights*
*ends circle camping*

Xyro77

Welp TGC 2 singles will be timeout central. I agree with some of these stages for doubles maybe, but for singles those three stages make absolutely no sense.
when i see it, ill believe it.

many have come back in the later years of brawl and said "man i wish we had more stages like at the beginning"

you will thank me later. its kinda how like later in life you will go back to your mom and thank her for stuff you thought was stupid when you were little.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*destroys lights*
*avoids falling lights*
*ends circle camping*
*plays Ganon*
*gets hard circle camped*
*wonders why stage is legal*

Also, BIg Battlefield? This...should not be legal for obvious reasons...mainly cause BIG.

Last edited:

Xyro77

*plays Ganon*
*gets hard circle camped*
*wonders why stage is legal*
step 1: learn to CP
step 2: learn to stage ban
step 3: regardless of circle camping, ganon is the worst character and will lose the MU

Also, unless i missed something, i sat on Skyloft for 7min straight and noticed nothing bad other than it transforms alot. but thats the normal now ever since brawl.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I edited my post. It's Big Battlefield is another concern.

Xyro77

a big stage like BBF helps

1. Counter spam
2. keeps lighter characters alive because of high blast zone
3. makes characters who kill easy have a harder time.

meaning, the stage is the definition of a "counter pick" stage aka it puts the foe at a disadvantage or you at an advantage. i guess you all are o used to going to BF/FD/SV in brawl that you lost the understanding/purpose of a counter pick. If you are worried about "time outs" then you are late to the competitive nature of life/games. Timeouts happen in every smash game, fighting game, real life sports and more. Get use to it. It will always be there and is a valid (though cheap) strat.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pft, sure I did, that's why I was amused when people tried to pick Japes against me in the 3DS version.

Anyways, you'll see why these stages are dumb at TGC. You seem to have faith that people will not "play gay," but I do not and have already seen enough timeouts.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Pft, sure I did, that's why I was amused when people tried to pick Japes against me in the 3DS version.

Anyways, you'll see why these stages are dumb at TGC. You seem to have faith that people will not "play gay," but I do not and have already seen enough timeouts.
i have absolute faith that people WILL play gay. but if it can be countered, it should remain legal. People forget that many "gay" stages were banned in both melee/brawl because of certain things that could NOT be countered. if a uncounterable thing happens on a stage, ill remove the stage. i did it in melee and brawl and ill do it here. its pretty simple.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
How can you counter a Sonic running away on Boxing Ring and Big Battlefield?

Xyro77

How can you counter a Sonic running away on Boxing Ring and Big Battlefield?
For boxing ring, destroy light and head towards sonic. With no lights/platform to run on he must go above/through you. This give you an opportunity to land hits. Aka like on every other stage.

As for BBF (as well as boxing ring) you have many options. Probably more that I'm not thinking of.

1. Ban the stage.
2. Sonic ditto.
3. Shulk speed.
4. Projectiles (fox/toonlink/megaman...etc)
5. Get and keep a % lead so that sonic must be on the offensive.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Allan I'm for a big stage list that includes things like Wuhu Island and such, but Big Battle Field is absolutely terrible for competitive play. Have you played on it? It leaves little room for actually fighting. It is literally DESIGNED for 8 player smash, not 1v1. HENCE WE HAVE BATTLE FIELD. Boxing Ring is also trash as well. Destroying the lights do nothing. It's so big, you can jump over or get around or use the ropes to jump even higher. It is not suited for 1v1 man. I can deal with Wii Fit Studio. But you need to remove those 2 from singles. Heck make them doubles but they are TRASH for singles.

Xyro77

Allan I'm for a big stage list that includes things like Wuhu Island and such, but Big Battle Field is absolutely terrible for competitive play. Have you played on it? It leaves little room for actually fighting. It is literally DESIGNED for 8 player smash, not 1v1. HENCE WE HAVE BATTLE FIELD. Boxing Ring is also trash as well. Destroying the lights do nothing. It's so big, you can jump over or get around or use the ropes to jump even higher. It is not suited for 1v1 man. I can deal with Wii Fit Studio. But you need to remove those 2 from singles. Heck make them doubles but they are TRASH for singles.
Re-read the last 20ish posts. Specifically mine.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I already did and your reasoning is terrible. Big Battle Field for characters who kill easy because they have a harder time? Then how will characters with low/weak kill power kill? That's literally saying "pick this stage to timeout since killing is hard." That is toxic to this game. It's a FIGHTING game, not a time out game.

1. Can we get 2 bans since this list is so expansive? I always ban FD against Sonic and don't want to waste it on something stupid like BBF or Boxing Ring
2. I'm not playing a character I dislike just to timeout each other (it will happen).
3. Same reasoning. And 15? seconds of speed with down time won't win that game lol. You're telling someone to use Shulk speed under a 7 minute timer giving him ~3.5 minutes to use it. Ridiculous as you won't be hitting the opponent all the time. Plus you have reduced jumping under speed. What if they jump on the top platform? CMON MAN.
4. Platforms make it EASY to avoid and they also stop some projectiles. Lol this is so big that it's not even a good cp.
5. So keep a percent lead...aka make sure you have the ability to time out. Toxic.

Can't even begin to see how these are legal when this like Duck Hunt stage aren't.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I probably won't enter singles if those two stages are legal. I can't support those two stages being legal. You're glad the game is faster because people will die faster because of the recent patch, but then you decide to add giant stages for singles and the matches will end up taking longer/going to time and punish people who don't like to camp. It all seems counter-intuitive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom