• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
SHULK: The Wielder of the Monado

Shulk relies on lots of moves and attacks he has to defeat opponents with his unique Talent Gauge Meter, similar to Little Mac's power meter, only it's used for many, different attacks. His talent gauge on the top left corner of Shulk's percentage bar, as shown below:

This gauge will slowly increase to white as you unleash many attacks to the opponent. It's important to know that you fill this bar so you can get access to even more powerful attacks. Getting hit by the opponent or being KOed does not reset the talent gauge. When the gauge is full, you gain access to the following moves by using the Activate Monado Move:

(Neutral-B) : Cancels out the Talent Move. If pressed twice quickly, it will activate Monado Buster, which is a powerful long-ranged Melee attack with a long start up time.
(Down-B) :Monado Shield: Gains a temporary 12 second shield that increases Shulk's defense by x 2.0. Also gives super armor too.
(Up-B) : Monado Speed: Increases the speed of Shulk and his agility to roll dodge x2.0 farther with other dodge properties being able to be canceled. It also doubles Shulk's lacking jump height and makes Air Slash twice the better recovery.
(Side-B): Monado Purge: Is able to hit from a distance and cancel out any defensive properties. (Even for someone that has the Starman) This cannot help him recover however.

His regular Arts are these, these arts have a different charging time and there will be noticable signs when Shulk is ready to unleash the special moves (additional small art icons on top Shulk's percentage bar):
Neutral-B: Doubles the amount for filling in the Talent Gauge when using attacks, but costs a constant inflict of 1-2% until damage is 17-18%. Also activate Monado Mode.
Up-B: Air Slash: Sends Shulk into a slightly but relatively horizontal distance. Not the most useful recovery out of all characters.
Side-B: Shadow Eye: Increase Shulk's Strength by x1.25 and turns him invisible.
Doubles the amount for filling in the Talent Gauge when using attacks, but costs a constant inflict of 1-2% until damage is 17-18%.
Down-B: Light Heal: Heals Shulk with 15%.

By learning how to properly use him, players will be rewarded, that is the simple goal really. Try to dodge at the right times, as he is a heavyweight and pretty tall and has a horrible recovery.

Normal Attacks:
Jab: Shulk slashes the opponent from left to right slowly then ends with straightforward strike.
F-Tilt: Shulk unleashes his Slit Edge, which can stun the opponent so you can attack for a combo. (It can also break shields better than most attacks)
D-Tilt: Shulk gracefully swings his sword at a slight diagonal direction to the bottom ground, not the most useful except for a Meteor Smash.
U-Tilt: Shulk air-punches his sword, doesn't do much except cancel small projectiles from above.
Dash: Shulk swiftly swings his sword sideways at slight diagonal downward direction, can also cancel properties if done right. Has slight ending lag in the after use.

Air Attacks:
Neutral Air: Shulk swings his Monado in a 360 turn, it's pretty slow, but relatively powerful.
F-Air: Shulk carries his sword from the top and swings downward for a powerful strike. Has slight starting lag.
B-Air: Shulk swiftly swings his Monado sideways back, slightly low KO potential.
D-Air: Shulk aggressively swings his sword downwards at 180 degrees to hit the opponent, great KO potential but has slight start lag.
U-Air: Shulk swings his Monado upward at 30 degrees, it's not Shulk's greatest attack to use but it has great vertical melee range.

Throws:
F-Throw: Shulk spins his opponent and throws them at a relatively short distance.
B-Throw: Shulk spins his opponent and throws them backwards at a relatively short distance.
U-Throw: Shulk tosses the opponent up in the air and swings his Monado upward for quick spacing.

D-Throw: Shulk lays the opponent down a slashes his Monado down to knock the opponent up in the air.

Smash Attacks:
F-Smash: Shulk activates his Back Slash: if hit from behind the damages increases to x1.5.
U-Smash: Shulk activates his Stream Edge, which springs out a short ranged upward attack to the opponent.
D-Smash: Shulk activates his Shaker Edge, which causes the opponent to trip if hit by it.
Relatively updated moveset. Do you think it's closer to what Sakurai would think, or do I need to add anything more?

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
True, but the trailers we've seen so far have some sort of logical basis to the characters they reveal.

For example, the Greninja trailer started off by showing a ton of Pokemon, revealing the return of Charizard, and later on revealed the newcomer from the Pokemon series. Another example would be the most recent trailer, which was styled after Fire Emblem Awakening cutscenes and featured Fire Emblem characters and newcomers (granted, Captain Falcon appeared in the trailer for no apparent reason, but he wasn't the focus).

Having that sort of "rival" theme set up in a trailer, only to follow it by revealing Shulk, would be sort of like Little Mac being revealed in the Pokemon themed trailer instead of Greninja, or Shulk being revealed in a Fire Emblem themed trailer instead of an actual Fire Emblem character. The set up doesn't really match the newcomer the trailer is supposed to be based on.
Metal Face confirmed for Smash?

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
True, but the trailers we've seen so far have some sort of logical basis to the characters they reveal.

For example, the Greninja trailer started off by showing a ton of Pokemon, revealing the return of Charizard, and later on revealed the newcomer from the Pokemon series. Another example would be the most recent trailer, which was styled after Fire Emblem Awakening cutscenes and featured Fire Emblem characters and newcomers (granted, Captain Falcon appeared in the trailer for no apparent reason, but he wasn't the focus).

Having that sort of "rival" theme set up in a trailer, only to follow it by revealing Shulk, would be sort of like Little Mac being revealed in the Pokemon themed trailer instead of Greninja, or Shulk being revealed in a Fire Emblem themed trailer instead of an actual Fire Emblem character. The set up doesn't really match the newcomer the trailer is supposed to be based on.
That doesn't mean there aren't some exceptions however. Rosalina's trailer started with Kirby, then showed Mario Kart, neither of which are related much at all.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
That doesn't mean there aren't some exceptions however. Rosalina's trailer started with Kirby, then showed Mario Kart, neither of which are related much at all.
it was on rainbow road that is in space where Rosalina lives :troll:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Sir, are you trying to imply that Kirby and Rainbow Road's fabulousness have no relation?

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
anyone else having major character reveal withdraws because I need my fix of new character reveals badly

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, Mario Kart is a Mario game featuring Mario characters. Rosalina is a Mario character. I don't see that as an exception.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't expect someone, particularly someone on Gamefaqs, to know the script for the trailers.

No one has successfully guessed a trailer yet, and I don't think it'll happen.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, Mario Kart is a Mario game featuring Mario characters. Rosalina is a Mario character. I don't see that as an exception.
I assume he was referring to Kirby being involved.

And yeah, the wait is killing me.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
like at least **** tease us or something like you did with ridley sakurai throw a bone to us or something the wait for shulk is killing me

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Looks like my updated moveset was set aside, that's fine I guess, I was really interested moveset discussion..
like at least **** tease us or something like you did with ridley sakurai throw a bone to us or something the wait for shulk is killing me
"Pic of the day, this is Gaur Plains from the JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles, this vast land has enemies spreading across the field. You can also see a group of three people fighting them in the background, they are too far to see though."

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Relatively updated moveset. Do you think it's closer to what Sakurai would think, or do I need to add anything more?
I don't quite care for the idea of battle soul being a side special. It feels more like a down special to me.

Keep in mind everyone, when it comes to moveset speculation, we have to have twelve different specials in mind now, not just 4. I could easily see battle soul, light heal and shadow eye all being down specials for him.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I don't quite care for the idea of battle soul being a side special. It feels more like a down special to me.

Keep in mind everyone, when it comes to moveset speculation, we have to have twelve different specials in mind now, not just 4. I could easily see battle soul, light heal and shadow eye all being down specials for him.
yeah those three seem to be the most logical choices I can see shield being a special block like yosih's egg

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
kirby and mario kart thing was sakurai crushing our hopes and dreams about a new kirby air ride game

but then restoring our hope because Smash Run is inspired by City Trial which is like everyone's favoritest thing ever.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
kirby and mario kart thing was sakurai crushing our hopes and dreams about a new kirby air ride game

but then restoring our hope because Smash Run is inspired by City Trial which is like everyone's favoritest thing ever.
RIP kirby Air Rider ;u;

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

I know, but I had to fill it in somewhere for specials.
Shulk could possibly have 12 customizable specials based on the arts, that it is possible, now I can see him being the Palutena Mii type of fighter, perhaps I should add more arts back and put in Shadow Eye as one of the customizable specials. Though personally, some of the arts he has are better suited for certain normals and smashes. I do agree with Battle Soul, Light Heal, and Shadow Eye being the customizable Down Specials.

Last edited:

derrickd95

Smash Rookie
I know, but I had to fill it in somewhere for specials.
Shulk could possibly have 12 customizable specials based on the arts, that it is possible, now I can see him being the Palutena Mii type of fighter, perhaps I should add more arts back and put in Shadow Eye as one of the customizable specials. Though personally, some of the arts he has are better suited for certain normals and smashes.
The thing is, Sakurai stated that Palutena and the Mii Fighters will be the only characters with custom moves that aren't just variations of the defaults. I'll edit this with a source once I find one.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't find one, but I found this:http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/286124/palutenas_gimmick_is_having_unique_customizable/
It seems that custom moves are Palutena's gimmick, and I just inferred that.

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
I don't expect someone, particularly someone on Gamefaqs, to know the script for the trailers.

No one has successfully guessed a trailer yet, and I don't think it'll happen.
Actually, no one believes me, because I can't find it. But there was someone that "guessed" Palutena's trailer down to a T, the fact that it was animated, and the exact words too. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it here too, but it had Shulk in the rumor.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Actually, no one believes me, because I can't find it. But there was someone that "guessed" Palutena's trailer down to a T, the fact that it was animated, and the exact words too. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it here too, but it had Shulk in the rumor.
Do you know exactly what the source was and what other info was there?

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Regardless...I really hope Shulk has a bit of dialogue before he starts fighting in his reveal trailer. I want to hear his sexy amazing British voice.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Regardless...I really hope Shulk has a bit of dialogue before he starts fighting in his reveal trailer. I want to hear his sexy amazing British voice.
he ends up suffering the Link syndrome where all he can do is grunt and yell

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, Sakurai stated that Palutena and the Mii Fighters will be the only characters with custom moves that aren't just variations of the defaults. I'll edit this with a source once I find one, if y'all need one.
Sakurai is also a lier and a troll so you never really know xD
if you found that again at some point that would be amazing.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I'm back from my vacation! What have I missed, Anything interesting?
Nothing massive, except a big hint that Metaknight will be returning. Currently we're discussing a GameFAQ's thread which supposedly details 2 of 3 upcoming trailers, which include Shulk's reveal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom