• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thing is, Sakurai stated that Palutena and the Mii Fighters will be the only characters with custom moves that aren't just variations of the defaults. I'll edit this with a source once I find one.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't find one, but I found this:http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/286124/palutenas_gimmick_is_having_unique_customizable/
It seems that custom moves are Palutena's gimmick, and I just inferred that.
So this means Palutena's and Mii's are not the only ones then, then I still find the possibility of a 12- 16 special Shulk more likely.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I know, but I had to fill it in somewhere for specials.
Shulk could possibly have 12 customizable specials based on the arts, that it is possible, now I can see him being the Palutena Mii type of fighter, perhaps I should add more arts back and put in Shadow Eye as one of the customizable specials. Though personally, some of the arts he has are better suited for certain normals and smashes. I do agree with Battle Soul, Light Heal, and Shadow Eye being the customizable Down Specials.
Make Shadow Eye the side special and battle soul the neutral special. Battle Soul should be like Little Mac's charge punch, in that it is only available until Shulk's meter is full.

You would not be able to use "Activate Monado" unless you had a full talent gauge, and you would not be able to use Battle Soul once the gauge was full. This way neither move is ever useless.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Oh that's pretty clever actually, risking the Battle Soul for Monado mode is a very good idea, that might work and could be actually possible o.O
Now all of his regular arts are used in the moveset, then excuse me while I tweak my moveset a little.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I would like to add my support for Shulk. Since Rainfall launched I was trying to get all three games and I have yet to get Xenoblade. It's the last one out of the Last Story and Pandora's Tower that I haven't gotten to enjoy yet so I've spent my time YouTube'n Shulk's adventures.

But yeah, I am all for beam sword users.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I would like to add my support for Shulk. Since Rainfall launched I was trying to get all three games and I have yet to get Xenoblade. It's the last one out of the Last Story and Pandora's Tower that I haven't gotten to enjoy yet so I've spent my time YouTube'n Shulk's adventures.

light sabers for everyone!

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice

Good to have ya!

Even though Xenoblade, TLS, and PT were part of Project Rainfall (I personally don't really like lumping them together), all three games couldn't be more different from each other. Of course, Xenoblade stands out on top, imo.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Also, I feel that his side or neutral specials should focus on attacks that have added effects when used from behind. They could be arts like Backslash, Slit Edge (since side attacks aren't a thing in Smash Bros), and maybe borrow Bitey Bitey from Riki (because if we're going with the idea of each custom special being based on an art from Xenoblade, Shulk's going to have to borrow at least four to make for twelve specials).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Light Heal might need to be tweaked, 15% seems like a a lot. I assume the move would have some sort of cool down, correct?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If you are referring to the custom specials then it could work (The Riki Biter works well too), one being short-ranged with poison effects, one with medium ranged with defense lowering abilities, and one being long range, I just prefer seeing those kinds of behind and side attacks more appropriate for normals and smashes.

Light Heal might need to be tweaked, 15% seems like a a lot. I assume the move would have some sort of cool down, correct?
There is a cool down of course, pretty much every art special has a cool down to it.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Hey, I thought up something funny. What is the WORST possible moveset Sakurai could give Shulk? We've never discussed that as far as I know.

For me, it would have to be if he gave Shulk other party members arts. Imagine Shulk with Wild Down, Gale Slash, Burninate etc.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I thought up something funny. What is the WORST possible moveset Sakurai could give Shulk? We've never discussed that as far as I know.

For me, it would have to be if he gave Shulk other party members arts. Imagine Shulk with Wild Down, Gale Slash, Burninate etc.
The kind that everyone who never played Xenoblade would assume. Ike 2.0.
Have you seen him in cutscenes he's a fast little dastard
Edit: Also Buster being the FS

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The kind that everyone who never played Xenoblade would assume. Ike 2.0.
Have you seen him in cutscenes he's a fast little dastard
Edit: Also Buster being the FS
Imagine Shulk fighting without activating the monado. He just uses the damn thing like a club basically. PERFECT!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Shulk using the Monado as a blunt physical weapon rather than actually activating it and using the light sword, while also being a clone of Ike.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That would be hilariously bad.
The close second would be Shulk's entire move set being based on Riki's arts, which he would perform just like Riki would. For example...

"Roly poly, keep on rolling!"
"SHULK SNEAKY!"
"B-b-b-burninate!"
"Shulk's breath makes monster sick!"

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To be honest it would probably be the 5 modes Shulk ninka_kiwi was referring to as the worst Shulk moveset unless it meant his arts such as Battle Soul and Monado Shield.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
To be honest it would probably be the 5 modes Shulk ninka_kiwi was referring to as the worst Shulk moveset unless it meant his arts such as Battle Soul and Monado Shield.
Yeah, that would be quite bad.

D

Deleted member

I say the worst moveset would be making Shulk an even worse Ganondorf clone, but these are also horrible suggestions.
EDIT: Also, one of his taunts involves bringing out the Monado and putting it away. He doesn't actually use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Ike Clone.

Edit: Ha, Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522

What would be so bad about that? They've already done the same to Ness and Lucas. :troll:

Okay, I'm probably not the best person in the world to come up with a full fledged moveset, but I think I can at least manage a solid list of specials.

Neutral
Stream Edge- Deals damage to enemies in a wide arc in front of Shulk
Shaker Edge- Slower than Stream Edge, with a smaller range, but does more damage.
War Swing (borrowed from Reyn)- does light damage to enemies on both sides of Shulk. Offers mild horizontal recovery when used in the air.

Down
Battle Soul- Fills up the talent gauge slightly while boosting Shulk's percentage by around 10%-15%.
Light Heal- Recovers around 10%-15% (or 10-15 HP in a stamina battle). Comes with a recovery time in between uses.
Shadow Eye- Allows Shulk to automatically dodge the next attack, and boosts the power of his own next attack. comes with a recovery time between uses.

Side
Backslash- Long range slashing attack that deals extra damage when used from behind.
Slit Edge- Short range stabbing attack that lowers defense when used from behind.
Bitey Bitey (Borrowed from Riki)- Medium range slashing attack that deals poison damage when used from behind.

Up
Air Slash- a slashing motion that works kind of similar to Ike's Aether and Kirby's Final Cutter. Medium vertical recovery.
(And this is where I start having to bend the canon behind how these arts work a bit to make something that works in Smash.)
Zero Gravity (borrowed from Seven)- Forms a small anti-gravity field around Shulk that raises him up. His best recovery special. Can also catch nearby enemies for minor damage.
Soaring Tempest (Borrowed from Dunban)- Similar to the War Swing borrowed from Reyn, only giving him some light aerial recovery rather than horizontal recovery, along with doing more damage. Has the best overall damage output of his up specials, but has the worst recovery of each of them.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I was anticipating someone saying Shulk as a Robin clone since they're the exact same person :troll:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I say the worst moveset would be making Shulk an even worse Ganondorf clone, but these are also horrible suggestions.
EDIT: Also, one of his taunts involves bringing out the Monado and putting it away. He doesn't actually use it.
So, would that mean that Shulk gets his own variation of the Falcon Punch?

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
What would be so bad about that? They've already done the same to Ness and Lucas. :troll:

Okay, I'm probably not the best person in the world to come up with a full fledged moveset, but I think I can at least manage a solid list of specials.

Neutral
Stream Edge- Deals damage to enemies in a wide arc in front of Shulk
Shaker Edge- Slower than Stream Edge, with a smaller range, but does more damage.
War Swing (borrowed from Reyn)- does light damage to enemies on both sides of Shulk. Offers mild horizontal recovery when used in the air.

Down
Battle Soul- Fills up the talent gauge slightly while boosting Shulk's percentage by around 10%-15%.
Light Heal- Recovers around 10%-15% (or 10-15 HP in a stamina battle). Comes with a recovery time in between uses.
Shadow Eye- Allows Shulk to automatically dodge the next attack, and boosts the power of his own next attack. comes with a recovery time between uses.

Side
Backslash- Long range slashing attack that deals extra damage when used from behind.
Slit Edge- Short range stabbing attack that lowers defense when used from behind.
Bitey Bitey (Borrowed from Riki)- Medium range slashing attack that deals poison damage when used from behind.

Up
Air Slash- a slashing motion that works kind of similar to Ike's Aether and Kirby's Final Cutter. Medium vertical recovery.
(And this is where I start having to bend the canon behind how these arts work a bit to make something that works in Smash.)
Zero Gravity (borrowed from Seven)- Forms a small anti-gravity field around Shulk that raises him up. His best recovery special. Can also catch nearby enemies for minor damage.
Soaring Tempest (Borrowed from Dunban)- Similar to the War Swing borrowed from Reyn, only giving him some light aerial recovery rather than horizontal recovery, along with doing more damage. Has the best overall damage output of his up specials, but has the worst recovery of each of them.
Final Smash: Monado Throw. Shulk activates the Monado (finally!) only to chuck it at his opponent. If it connects, the Bionis falls on the target. If not, Shulk is unable to use any specials for the rest of the match. He turns into a Little Mac clone.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
No, what would be the worst is if he was another Fox clone. "MONADO LANDMASTER!!!"

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Nah, he should be a DK clone, taunts and all.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shulk & Riki as a Rosalina & Luma clone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom