• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Nope, but whoever is in charge of it can go ahead and add me. Xenoblade is one of my favorite games of all time and I would be ecstatic to see Shulk in Smash
Of course! All support is appreciated. :p

@BluePikmin11, new supporter here!

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
But personally, I don't really want Fiora playable because...
you know exactly why...
and as people are likely to play the game after trying out Shulk, i'd rather they find that out through the story
Imagine having Fiora playable, as in, start of the game Fiora, and having people who play as her in smash play Xenoblade.....and then just.....oh boy

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, I'm feeling like Shulk is literally the ONLY safe bet this time around as far as newcomers go.
I lurked the K. Rool thread a little, and they seem to think that K .Rool is 100% in, just like some of the Ridley peeps are fully expecting Rids, but I don't know, I just don't see those two making it.

Shulk however has stacks of evidence in his favor, fits in with Sakurai's mind (Two fire emblem characters in Melee because he liked the franchise and he also seems to like Xenoblade), and was completely relevant by the time the roster was decided. And I know that relevancy isn't a completely valid argument, but at the same time Shulk's relevancy was through Project Rainfall, which showed Nintendo how much people wanted Xenoblade in the states. And yes, popularity does indeed help a character earn a spot. Not ONLY popularity of course, but it certainly helps.

What do all of you think?
I think Shulk has some very good credentials, and while I do think that makes him likely, I don't think that guarantees him. To be quite honest, I'd say Ridley is more likely due to an abundance of evidence from within Smash itself. I'd say it's likely both will make it in, but I feel more confident in Ridley than in Shulk.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Yeah, but would we get anything worth while? If so, I hope it has something to do with the different modes in the Wii U version.
Anything is possible, not to get people hyped for nothing, but its a bit suspicious the smash bros news even if its minor is not know yet, due this is Smash bros we are talking about the embodiment of hype, while Pokemon already got 3 Mega's spoiled

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm feeling like Shulk is literally the ONLY safe bet this time around as far as newcomers go.
I lurked the K. Rool thread a little, and they seem to think that K .Rool is 100% in, just like some of the Ridley peeps are fully expecting Rids, but I don't know, I just don't see those two making it.

Shulk however has stacks of evidence in his favor, fits in with Sakurai's mind (Two fire emblem characters in Melee because he liked the franchise and he also seems to like Xenoblade), and was completely relevant by the time the roster was decided. And I know that relevancy isn't a completely valid argument, but at the same time Shulk's relevancy was through Project Rainfall, which showed Nintendo how much people wanted Xenoblade in the states. And yes, popularity does indeed help a character earn a spot. Not ONLY popularity of course, but it certainly helps.

there were three characters I was super confident would be included, being Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk. though Chrom's not in there anymore (and for good reason) I still am super sure about Shulk, as I pretty much was even before I played Xenoblade.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
there were three characters I was super confident would be included, being Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk. though Chrom's not in there anymore (and for good reason) I still am super sure about Shulk, as I pretty much was even before I played Xenoblade.
I feel like Shulk is in the same boat as Palutena was in Pre E3, excluding the fact that Sakurai hasn't made a Xenoblade game.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Anything is possible, not to get people hyped for nothing, but its a bit suspicious the smash bros news even if its minor is not know yet, due this is Smash bros we are talking about the embodiment of hype, while Pokemon already got 3 Mega's spoiled
I guess it is fine to stay positive, but I am not holding out for anything significant to be shown.

Hopefully we do get something that is worthwhile.

sunnyman

Smash Rookie
Been watching the thread for a while and i want to support shulk as much as possible for smash so add me to the support list!
Don't know if this has been said but i am wandering what snakes codec call would be like for shulk if the are both appear in smash 4.

Last edited:

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Shulk is in the same boat as Palutena was in Pre E3, excluding the fact that Sakurai hasn't made a Xenoblade game.
probably, except (correct me if i'm wrong) Shulk's more highly requested
Been watching the thread for a while and i want to support shulk as much as possible for smash so add me to the support list!
Don't know if this has been said but i am wandering what snakes codec call would be like for shulk if the are both appear in smash 4.
welcome to the group! :) (by the way *wondering)

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
New supporter here @BluePikmin11!

Welcome to the Shulk thread!

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Snake would probably make some kind of laser sword joke or something

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I just know that Japan had commercials that focused on Seven, which is weird considering it's a commercial with the most major spoiler being shown....
To be fair the biggest spoiler
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Xenoblade spoilers from the beginning until the end
is all the stuff that happens at the Mechonis core due that really is a chain reaction.

Egil being a guy that suffered from Zanza & even though on paper is choices were cruel & cost many lives, with someone like Zanza running amok it was justified imo.
D*ckson being a traitor
High entia transforming into Telethia
You carrying the main villian troughout the whole game
The other god residing in Fiora's body
etc.

Fiora is more something like Sheik or Lucina, while being a major spoiler it doesn't take away the major plottwist, due even though her dead has a certain wow effect due its early on, but atleast you get some little teasers before you reach prison island & after you recruit her & Gadolt being a face isn't surprising either

alas I the only thing the game couldn't keep hidden for me was that Mumkhar was Metal face once I heard his voice, although I admit I first thought they just did a soul transfer instead of modifying the Homs into android like pilots

Still I understand why people want no spoilers for Xenoblade for Smash Bros due its a game people should experience without being spoiled, but lets hope Sakurai has respect for that

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
is all the stuff that happens at the Mechonis core due that really is a chain reaction.

Egil being a guy that suffered from Zanza & even though on paper is choices were cruel & cost many lives, with someone like Zanza running amok it was justified imo.
D*ckson being a traitor
etc.

Fiora is more something like Sheik or Lucina, while being a major spoiler it doesn't take away the major plottwist, due even though her dead has a certain wow effect due its early on, but atleast you get some little teasers before you reach prison island & after you recruit her & Gadolt being a face isn't surprising either

alas I the only thing the game couldn't keep hidden for me was that Mumkhar was Metal face once I heard his voice, although I admit I first thought they just did a soul transfer instead of modifying the Homs into android like pilots

Still I understand why people want no spoilers for Xenoblade for Smash Bros due its a game people should experience without being spoiled, but lets hope Sakurai has respect for that
it's sakurai sooo, who knows :/

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
You might want to use this next time

But personally, I don't really want Fiora playable because...
you know exactly why...
and as people are likely to play the game after trying out Shulk, i'd rather they find that out through the story
You know they could use that instead of that, actually.
Hopefully they do so if it happens, right?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think Shulk has some very good credentials, and while I do think that makes him likely, I don't think that guarantees him. To be quite honest, I'd say Ridley is more likely due to an abundance of evidence from within Smash itself. I'd say it's likely both will make it in, but I feel more confident in Ridley than in Shulk.
I'm feeling more confident in Shulk just because of all the reasons that not adding him would hurt his series (and therefore Nintendo). That and every other reason we've literally ever mentioned.

However, that's not to say I'm not confident in Ridley. At this point, Ridley being absent would make Sakurai the biggest, most malignant troll ever. (Actually, still less than Kojima, but still.) It's just not his style (I hope) given everything he knows about Western fans and Ridley.

Besides that, I don't expect Pyrosphere to be on the 3DS, so is Ridley just going to not have a major role in that one? Seems dumb. (And making him a Smash Run boss is extra dumb.)

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

D*ckson being a traitor
etc.

Well he's spoiled things before (Lucina) but I'd say the other thing is Porky in SSE. So he's not really all that worried about that stuff, who even knows what's given away in trophy descriptions.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I guess it is fine to stay positive, but I am not holding out for anything significant to be shown.

Hopefully we do get something that is worthwhile.
Well a Character reveal is perhaps very low, but who knows they show the infamous Mechon trophy or a Xenoblade enemy for smash run, when they are discussing that mode. Sometimes the smallest things can help a character imo

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

D*ckson being a traitor
etc.

Actually for me the biggest spoiler/ huge shock moment was...
The ending.
The game: "Landmark reached! Saturn!"
Me: "WHAT."
The game: "Landmark reached! Sentient Genesis!"
Me: "OKAY WHAT ON BIONIS IS HAPPENING!?!?"
Alvis: "I am Monado. I was here at the beginning, and I will proclaim the end."
Me: "ALVIS OH MY MEYNETH WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!?!?"
Alvis: This... Is my home."
Me: *Dies*

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The Mother 3 spoilers in Brawl hurt my soul... That complete Porky spoiler tho.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The Mother 3 spoilers in Brawl hurt my soul... That complete Porky spoiler tho.
I was more upset by the one in Lucas' trophy. It made playing Mother 3 for the first time slightly less fun because I already knew that was going to happen.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling more confident in Shulk just because of all the reasons that not adding him would hurt his series (and therefore Nintendo). That and every other reason we've literally ever mentioned.

However, that's not to say I'm not confident in Ridley. At this point, Ridley being absent would make Sakurai the biggest, most malignant troll ever. (Actually, still less than Kojima, but still.) It's just not his style (I hope) given everything he knows about Western fans and Ridley.

Besides that, I don't expect Pyrosphere to be on the 3DS, so is Ridley just going to not have a major role in that one? Seems dumb. (And making him a Smash Run boss is extra dumb.)
OBJECTION!

xenoblade X would help the series more than shulk not being in the game would hurt it, and sakurai's ALWAYS has been a huge troll

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I was more upset by the one in Lucas' trophy. It made playing Mother 3 for the first time slightly less fun because I already knew that was going to happen.
What was the description? I genuinly don't know, but I am really curious now.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Though seriously, something in Xenoblade will get spoiled, take it from me, who got spoiled by Brawl on Mother III. Whether it be...
Shulk's Monado being the second or third in a Final Smash
Zanza's role
Fiora in any way shape or form
Identity of the Faced Mechon
I feel like it's going to be...
Seven is playable, or Seven is an AT, or they use Seven's Mechon Model for a trophy
At this point, I'd recommend playing through Xenoblade ASAP, because they'll turn it into the next Aerith, Sheik and Lucina.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
OBJECTION! Reyn had just as much importance to the story as seven did and also helped to shulks early character development
(plus it's Reyn)

HOLD IT!

Seven has MUCH more story importance than Reyn, what with...
Being Meyneth's vessel and all. And, you know, starting the plot in the first place by dying.
Also, Japan doesn't like Reyn nearly as much as the west does.

EDIT: Also Sakurai loves spoilers. He's got like, pink heart level affinity with them.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Though seriously, something in Xenoblade will get spoiled, take it from me, who got spoiled by Brawl on Mother III. Whether it be...
Zanza's role
Seven is playable, or Seven is an AT, or they use Seven's Mechon Model for a trophy
At this point, I'd recommend playing through Xenoblade ASAP, because they'll turn it into the next Aerith, Sheik and Lucina.
Oh, the spoilers are gonna be magnificently bad.

Diqson's trophy: Diqson, Shulk's mentor and father figure! He also betrays him by shooting him in the neck and is in reality a giant.
Calling it!

Last edited:

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Zanza's role
i already spoiled myself on seven and zanza a little bit and i haven´'t been playing too much because i'm following chuggaaconroys let´s play
we're getting pretty off topic here, shouldn't we get back on track

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Remember, if you are going to use a gif, make sure it's not the focal point of your post. :)

And yeah, Guy is right, everything involving Seven is major spoiler material unless they avoid it.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I would advice everyone who hasn't completed Xenoblade to fully avoid reading Xenoblade related trophy descriptions when the game comes out.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Oh, the spoilers are gonna be magnificently bad.

Diqson's trophy: Diqson, Shulk's mentor and father figure! He also betrays him by shooting him in the neck and is in reality a giant.
Calling it!
Yeah I suppose you really can't hide spoilers in smash bros.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well with Sakurai anything is possible

Once again MAJOR Xenoblade spoilers
He could make Melia playable & her final smash is she mutates into a Telethia even if its impossible due canon, but hey its the same guy that thinks that the King of evil is a racer in F-zero xD.

Anyway think Fiora's Mechon form will be the thing he spoils & maybe Metal face's being Mumkhar

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice

HOLD IT!

Seven has MUCH more story importance than Reyn, what with...
Being Meyneth's vessel and all. And, you know, starting the plot in the first place by dying.
Also, Japan doesn't like Reyn nearly as much as the west does.

EDIT: Also Sakurai loves spoilers. He's got like, pink heart level affinity with them.
TAKE THAT!

how do you think little mac got in? he was popular in the west

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
TAKE THAT!

how do you think little mac got in? he was popular in the west
Objection!!
The power of Japanese popularity!!!!! Also, Seven isn't exactly unpopular in the states among Bronados and Reyn could never match up to Little Mac's western popularity.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There really should be an Edgeworth (or Blackquill I guess) dual destinies pointing gif with Reyns head to compliment the Phoenix Shulk one.

I'm starting to feel a bit edgy about newcomers now, we could get an announcement of a trailer or direct any day now.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann

At this point Ridley and Shulk are the only newcomers I say are guaranteed. And part of me wouldn't be surprised if they're the only newcomers left (though I expect one or two more). Ridley for obvious in game hints and Shulk, while not having in game hints, has a lot else going for him that I'm not going to say because we already know. I'd like to see K Rool playable, but I don't see it happening. The only thing going for him is popularity, which if that was the biggest factor for character inclusion Skull Kid and Takamaru wouldn't be AT. And I think relevancy is actually a pretty valid argument this time around. All the characters added this time were relevant during the Wii/DS/3DSWii U era. All these retro characters or characters from series that haven't been seen in a while are being disconfirmed. It's obvious what type of character Sakurai is going for this time and Shulk fits that perfectly.

I have 0 doubts that Shulk is in. One of the things I have been thinking about though is related to what you said about Sakurai putting 2 Fire Emblem characters in Melee. What if Sakurai puts in 2 Xenoblade characters? And if so, who would the second person be? Personally I'd love to see Reyn :D
And you thought people crying about Fire Emblem getting 4 reps was bad. That would be nothing compared to Xenoblade getting two. Though it probably won't happen I agree with everyone else that Seven is the choice. She has the most importance to the story aside from Shulk, and she would be pretty unique. Plus Smash needs robot waifus am I right?!? ....right?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well with Sakurai anything is possible

Once again MAJOR Xenoblade spoilers
He could make Melia playable & her final smash is she mutates into a Telethia even if its impossible due canon, but hey its the same guy that thinks that the King of evil is a racer in F-zero xD.

Anyway think Fiora's Mechon form will be the thing he spoils & maybe Metal face's being Mumkhar
That or Melia could summon Kallian :p

But yeah, I can imagine Sakurai will spoil a lot. Between Seven being playable or an assist, trophy descriptions, etc., a lot is gonna get blown.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Objection!!
The power of Japanese popularity!!!!! Also, Seven isn't exactly unpopular in the states among Bronados and Reyn could never match up to Little Mac's western popularity.

well... this was a losing battle for me
Wait!
we don't know if sakurai IS willing to spoil the game with a character if this claim is true, Reyn or Riki would be more likely candidates

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
as said ridley and shulk are the only real safe bets at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom