• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
If Shulk gets in, how many assist trophies do you think we'll get from the game? I mean, every party member in the game would make a nice assist trophy. Reyn could do something that would mimic agro, Sharla could both heal you and hurt people, Melia could give you various buffs, etc.

Edit: Also, can I get on that support list?
I can easily imagine Reyn Entering the stage spinning.

So far, my hopes are above the highest roof, I speak with friends saying i'll main him and I'll play him like this and like that...

Please be in the game..

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I hope no new people come in their gonna wonder what the hell is up with everyone having shades XD

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Specific attacks is one thing; a unique play-style among other Smash Bros characters is another thing entirely. My example utilizes up to four arts, by only taking up a single special move slot. Shulk still has three other specials and all of his Normal's for other moves and specific references, but if it's not a coherent play-style it's pointless.

The core idea behind this Shulk is "versatility". By being able to alter his stats, he's essentially an "all-around" type character. He seems like he'd be a good fit for the more "jack-of-all-trades" arch type normally, but with the usage of his "stance" changes he'd be able to switch to other arch-types. Glass Cannon (Enchant), Combo Oriented (Speed), Defense Oriented (Shield) as purely examples. A clever interpretation of Purge and Armor could lead to even more variety.

In RPG terms, he's the Red Mage of Smash.

Thanks. I suppose you can add me to the list. I've been rockin' a Shulk avatar for several months now as it is.
I know you have a tiny bit of a vested interest in Shulk having this playstyle, but I just don't think it would be the best way to represent the mechanics of Xenoblade. It wouldn't be the worst possible thing that could happen, but I think not being able to change from stance to stance quickly enough (and with only 1 button press it would be a slow going from 1-5) it would make it a lame duck gimmick.

I did make the following "Arts as Stances" post back on page 306 when we were first addressing the idea.

My Top 5 Arts to Make into Stances:

1.) Buster - lowered speed, increased knock back and range
2.) Eater - below average damage and speed, but all attacks have a damage over time effect
3.) Armour - reduces damage taken, normal damage, slower speed
4.) Purge - Average all around, adds a short range projectile to some attacks that does better then average shield damage
5.) Speed - lowered defense and strength, increase in movement and attack speed

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I hope no new people come in their gonna wonder what the hell is up with everyone having shades XD
Nah, don't worry about that. Everyone understands that shades are cool and Shulk supporters are even cooler. It makes perfect sense. Oh, and on the topic of victory screen cameos, I'd like to see Shulk doing the Nopon dance with Riki.

Bwahaha, look at him go!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Nah, don't worry about that. Everyone understands that shades are cool and Shulk supporters are even cooler. It makes perfect sense. Oh, and on the topic of victory screen cameos, I'd like to see Shulk doing the Nopon dance with Riki.

Bwahaha, look at him go!
that would be cool not gonna lie

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Shulk can be amazingly unique by using mechanics from his actual game, thank you very much. Tension, the directionality of attacks, and most importantly the talent gauge. If he also had battle soul as his down special he could choose to take damage to have the ability to unleash one of 4 powerful attacks. He would then have to chose which one of those 4 to use, as well as when he actually wanted to use them instead of saving the charge.

No other character plays like that and I don't have to make up a new gimmick that doesn't fit the playstyle of the game for it to happen.
All I've done is interpret several of the abilities Shulk regularly uses into a usable form for a fighting game. I don't see how I've made anything up.

I don't want to argue on whether or not your ideas are good or whether my ideas are bad because at the end of the day I don't really care that much. If you don't like the idea, more power to you especially if you can identify why specifically. I don't have much stake in it myself and just had an errant thought that I figured was worth posting.

EDIT: Having just seen your latest post, I don't really have much stake in it either way. Whatever ideas or thoughts I may or may not have mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm really more interested in seeing how the dev team implement these characters than anything. It's why I normally don't participate in the speculation of characters. I'm more interested in seeing how the Dev Team uses these for play styles than my own ideas.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
All I've done is interpret several of the abilities Shulk regularly uses into a usable form for a fighting game. I don't see how I've made anything up.

I don't want to argue on whether or not your ideas are good or whether my ideas are bad because at the end of the day I don't really care that much. If you don't like the idea, more power to you especially if you can identify why specifically. I don't have much stake in it myself and just had an errant thought that I figured was worth posting.
Just want to reiterate that I can see your idea working and it's by no means a bad idea. I think what most people here are thinking is that Shulk's abilities and the unique mechanics behind Xenoblade can be combined without adding in a mechanic that alters his stats like that. In Xenoblade, he really focuses on positioning more than anything and using the Break-Topple-Daze mechanic (which he can singlehandedly do with an Air Slash-Monado Cyclone-Shaker Edge). There's also the Talent Gauge.

He does buff himself and his party, but it doesn't change his play style in-game so much. Enchant increases attack by a small amount, but allows everyone to hit Mechon. Shield can stop OHKOs. Armor and Speed help him not die for a short amount of time as well. He's really more of a glass canon/rogue style character whose main killing moves are a decent Backslash with Buster as a veritable second option, and his buffs are to ensure he manages to stay onscreen long enough to use them.

Again, not saying your idea is bad, just bringing to the surface some stuff about Shulk that will probably play into his moveset more. I just don't see him having a ton of special mechanics and gimmicks, so not all these things will probably be translated into the game.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Just want to reiterate that I can see your idea working and it's by no means a bad idea. I think what most people here are thinking is that Shulk's abilities and the unique mechanics behind Xenoblade can be combined without adding in a mechanic that alters his stats like that. In Xenoblade, he really focuses on positioning more than anything and using the Break-Topple-Daze mechanic (which he can singlehandedly do with an Air Slash-Monado Cyclone-Shaker Edge). There's also the Talent Gauge.

He does buff himself and his party, but it doesn't change his play style in-game so much. Enchant increases attack by a small amount, but allows everyone to hit Mechon. Shield can stop OHKOs. Armor and Speed help him not die for a short amount of time as well. He's really more of a glass canon/rogue style character whose main killing moves are a decent Backslash with Buster as a veritable second option, and his buffs are to ensure he manages to stay onscreen long enough to use them.

Again, not saying your idea is bad, just bringing to the surface some stuff about Shulk that will probably play into his moveset more. I just don't see him having a ton of special mechanics and gimmicks, so not all these things will probably be translated into the game.
The talent gauge is my favorite gimmick idea, if Shulk does indeed have a gimmick.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

If Shulk's Monado gets the Shield Ability then I believe it should have some kind of draw back. If it can stop Devastating attacks then there should be something to make up for it in the favor of opponents.

Either make Shulk stunned while the Shield takes the hit or it uses all of Shulk's Monado Gauge Power.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Worry not, I don't necessarily think folks think it's a bad idea, just one that doesn't suit their ideas for Shulk. As for myself, I don't really have any strong feelings on how I think Shulk should play for the very reasons you've said (but I am prone to at least explain myself when prompted). There are a lot of aspects to Xenoblade gameplay that you could pick to use for a fighting game and I'm really just interested to see which ones they pick. After all, a few of them are present in some form in other Nintendo franchises that have characters in this game already

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
The talent gauge is my favorite gimmick idea, if Shulk does indeed have a gimmick.
I love the idea of the tension system, with the portrait on the bottom screen getting more intense the more you hit the other players.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea of the tension system, with the portrait on the bottom screen getting more intense the more you hit the other players.
it would be a lot like Lucario except he becomes more powerful with the more hits he lands. Maybe it could risk losing some if he takes damage.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
it would be a lot like Lucario except he becomes more powerful with the more hits he lands. Maybe it could risk losing some if he takes damage.
Maybe the more aggresive you play the higher it goes, like landing hits increases your tension, while doing things like blocking and dodging decrease your tension, and by playing that way, people will probably target you more.....like....aggro....eh? eh?

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the more aggresive you play the higher it goes, like landing hits increases your tension, while doing things like blocking and dodging decrease your tension, and by playing that way, people will probably target you more.....like....aggro....eh? eh?
my friend I think you're on to something.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
It's an interesting idea, but I don't think dodging should decrease your tension. If anything it should increase it because you were able to successfully react to an opponent's attack. Getting hit is the obvious choice and maybe tension being reset if you die?

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
It's an interesting idea, but I don't think dodging should decrease your tension. If anything it should increase it because you were able to successfully react to an opponent's attack. Getting hit is the obvious choice and maybe tension being reset if you die?
Yeah I suppose getting hit would be a better way to decrease tension, as well as just generally over time. I actually think this would make Shulk just a well rounded "snowballing" character who gets more powerful the better you are playing him, while playing him badly would result in his damage output falling.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I suppose getting hit would be a better way to decrease tension, as well as just generally over time. I actually think this would make Shulk just a well rounded "snowballing" character who gets more powerful the better you are playing him, while playing him badly would result in his damage output falling.
Honestly, i'm down for that. It sounds pretty interesting :)

The difference between Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade is that Rhythm Heaven is a collection of minigames, and has no central character. So the Sneaky Spirit might or might not hint towards a Rhythm Heaven newcomer, and if it did, there's still debate on who it could be. If a telethia showed up, however, that would almost certainly mean Shulk, no questions asked.

Besides, why haven't we seen an EarthBound enemy yet, unless Ness and Lucas are cut?
Because they don't want anyone to figure out who the real star of the show is

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Because they don't want anyone to figure out who the real star of the show is

Honestly, i'm down for that. It sounds pretty interesting :)
10/10 would main. Dakota!

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
The difference between Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade is that Rhythm Heaven is a collection of minigames, and has no central character. So the Sneaky Spirit might or might not hint towards a Rhythm Heaven newcomer, and if it did, there's still debate on who it could be. If a telethia showed up, however, that would almost certainly mean Shulk, no questions asked.

Besides, why haven't we seen an EarthBound enemy yet, unless Ness and Lucas are cut?
One of the reasons why I'm not worried about the Smash Run supposed Mechon is that even if it wasn't there, someone said that there are hundreds of enemies. The game probably decides which ones appear where, so either the Mechon wasn't picked to spawn, or people just didn't run into it.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So, what happened to that whole Corocoro thing? What with the magazine or whatever?
People were expecting the CoroCoro magazine to reveal some juicy Smash Brothers information; instead, they took the time to "reveal" information in a trolling way like Sakurai.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So, I'm feeling like Shulk is literally the ONLY safe bet this time around as far as newcomers go.
I lurked the K. Rool thread a little, and they seem to think that K .Rool is 100% in, just like some of the Ridley peeps are fully expecting Rids, but I don't know, I just don't see those two making it.

Shulk however has stacks of evidence in his favor, fits in with Sakurai's mind (Two fire emblem characters in Melee because he liked the franchise and he also seems to like Xenoblade), and was completely relevant by the time the roster was decided. And I know that relevancy isn't a completely valid argument, but at the same time Shulk's relevancy was through Project Rainfall, which showed Nintendo how much people wanted Xenoblade in the states. And yes, popularity does indeed help a character earn a spot. Not ONLY popularity of course, but it certainly helps.

What do all of you think?

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
So, I'm feeling like Shulk is literally the ONLY safe bet this time around as far as newcomers go.
I lurked the K. Rool thread a little, and they seem to think that K .Rool is 100% in, just like some of the Ridley peeps are fully expecting Rids, but I don't know, I just don't see those two making it.

Shulk however has stacks of evidence in his favor, fits in with Sakurai's mind (Two fire emblem characters in Melee because he liked the franchise and he also seems to like Xenoblade), and was completely relevant by the time the roster was decided. And I know that relevancy isn't a completely valid argument, but at the same time Shulk's relevancy was through Project Rainfall, which showed Nintendo how much people wanted Xenoblade in the states. And yes, popularity does indeed help a character earn a spot. Not ONLY popularity of course, but it certainly helps.

What do all of you think?
I have 0 doubts that Shulk is in. One of the things I have been thinking about though is related to what you said about Sakurai putting 2 Fire Emblem characters in Melee. What if Sakurai puts in 2 Xenoblade characters? And if so, who would the second person be? Personally I'd love to see Reyn :D

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
People were expecting the CoroCoro magazine to reveal some juicy Smash Brothers information; instead, they took the time to "reveal" information in a trolling way like Sakurai.
Hey atleast this could mean they have juicy details, they are also trolling the pokemon fans, due they have yet to leak a whole page of ORAS & people speculate a 4th mega, so Smash news is not out of the question

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I have 0 doubts that Shulk is in. One of the things I have been thinking about though is related to what you said about Sakurai putting 2 Fire Emblem characters in Melee. What if Sakurai puts in 2 Xenoblade characters? And if so, who would the second person be? Personally I'd love to see Reyn :D
The rest of the boards would be SALTY if that happened. That's only plus points for me! Reyn would be awesome.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I could see either Seven or Elma. Elma to advertise X, Seven for Japanese popularity and story importance.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey atleast this could mean they have juicy details, they are also trolling the pokemon fans, due they have yet to leak a whole page of ORAS & people speculate a 4th mega, so Smash news is not out of the question
Yeah, but would we get anything worth while? If so, I hope it has something to do with the different modes in the Wii U version.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I could see either Seven or Elma. Elma to advertise X, Seven for Japanese popularity and story importance.
Is Seven really popular in japan? I thought the Xenoblade fanfav's are Melia & Riki. Well not against the Seven Idea due well I always said she had customisable moveset potential

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Is Seven really popular in japan? I thought the Xenoblade fanfav's are Melia & Riki. Well not against the Seven Idea due well I always said she had customisable moveset potential
I just know that Japan had commercials that focused on Seven, which is weird considering it's a commercial with the most major spoiler being shown....

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
OBJECTION! Reyn had just as much importance to the story as seven did and also helped to shulks early character development
(plus it's Reyn)
You might want to use this next time

But personally, I don't really want Fiora playable because...
you know exactly why...
and as people are likely to play the game after trying out Shulk, i'd rather they find that out through the story

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Riki in smash would make my life, though I think Seven would be a much better fit. TBH I wouldn't be surprised if she was added as well. She has so many cool moveset possibilities.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
You might want to use this next time

But personally, I don't really want Fiora playable because...
you know exactly why...
and as people are likely to play the game after trying out Shulk, i'd rather they find that out through the story
thanks for the gif!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Riki in smash would make my life, though I think Seven would be a much better fit. TBH I wouldn't be surprised if she was added as well. She has so many cool moveset possibilities.
Seven would be awesome in my opinion. Are you on our support list by the way? Can't find that thing for the life of me.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Seven would be awesome in my opinion. Are you on our support list by the way? Can't find that thing for the life of me.
Nope, but whoever is in charge of it can go ahead and add me. Xenoblade is one of my favorite games of all time and I would be ecstatic to see Shulk in Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom