• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Some Shulk win quotes can include:
  • "Piece of Cake!"
  • "I will change the future!"
  • "This is the power of the Monado!"/ "This is the Monado's Power!"
  • "Haha, I win!"
  • An ally can appear and they make a victory conversation.

Last edited:

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Reyn leaps in and says
"Man! Whatta buncha jokers!"
All of my money Nintendo. You would have all of it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...I'm afraid to ask, but why is everyone here wearing sunglasses?

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of become a thing in this thread, the whole story is a page or two back.
If you want some too then hit me up with a PM and i'll get right on it ^^

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's kind of become a thing in this thread, the whole story is a page or two back.
Why would I want to ruin my avatar with unnecessary shades? No thank you.

Now, about something actually Shulk related, does anyone find it slightly odd that we didn't see any kind of Xenoblade Chronicles enemy in Smash Run during the demos? I would have thought that, assuming Shulk is playable, a Smash Run enemy from Xenoblade would be almost guaranteed. There's obviously a lot of great choices for enemies they could use. So why haven't we seen one?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'm more of a fan of using Monado arts for specials and customizable specials and having normal arts for Smash attacks. Whatever overflows can fit into his moveset one way or another. Most of his move are already made, ya know?

But yeah, stat boosts are going to be a major part of his play style and I can see your idea happening as well. :)
Specific attacks is one thing; a unique play-style among other Smash Bros characters is another thing entirely. My example utilizes up to four arts, by only taking up a single special move slot. Shulk still has three other specials and all of his Normal's for other moves and specific references, but if it's not a coherent play-style it's pointless.

The core idea behind this Shulk is "versatility". By being able to alter his stats, he's essentially an "all-around" type character. He seems like he'd be a good fit for the more "jack-of-all-trades" arch type normally, but with the usage of his "stance" changes he'd be able to switch to other arch-types. Glass Cannon (Enchant), Combo Oriented (Speed), Defense Oriented (Shield) as purely examples. A clever interpretation of Purge and Armor could lead to even more variety.

In RPG terms, he's the Red Mage of Smash.

Yeah, if implemented correctly stat buffs could be a really cool and vital part of Shulk's moveset. Nice work.

By the way, do you want to be added to our support list?
Thanks. I suppose you can add me to the list. I've been rockin' a Shulk avatar for several months now as it is.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Why would I want to ruin my avatar with unnecessary shades? No thank you.

Now, about something actually Shulk related, does anyone find it slightly odd that we didn't see any kind of Xenoblade Chronicles enemy in Smash Run during the demos? I would have thought that, assuming Shulk is playable, a Smash Run enemy from Xenoblade would be almost guaranteed. There's obviously a lot of great choices for enemies they could use. So why haven't we seen one?
Probably because Mashpotato Samurai doesn't wanna hint at Shulk's playable-ness. I'd expect a few mechon for enemies, maybe a telethia as a boss.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Our stars are so bright we need to wear shades. Yeeeaahhh....

So no mention of Sakurai yesterday or today about a newcomer reveal in the next few days. Guess we'll just have to wait some more. I'm starting to believe that livestream where they reveal the rest of the starting roster could happen. I mean we're a month away and there's still so much that needs to be shown. Samurai why must you hide Shulk from me!

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
@BluePikmin11, another one on the support list!

Yeah, Sakurai isn't gonna show any Xenoblade related content before Shulk's reveal.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I left a message on your profile, I think. Still working my way around how to use Smashboards...

On-topic though, I honestly expect a character reveal in the next two weeks.

Edit: I wasted my 100th post on this? Damn...

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Probably because Mashpotato Samurai doesn't wanna hint at Shulk's playable-ness. I'd expect a few mechon for enemies, maybe a telethia as a boss.
It's weird because there's Rhythm Heaven enemies in Smash Run, which would indicate a playable character. Though part of me believes that was a honest mistake. Sounds farfetched but not as bad as some people believing that Sakurai put the Rhythm Heaven in there to troll people who thought the Gematsu Leak was real...yeah.

I still firmly believe too the reason we haven't seen any Meachon in Smash Run is because it would give away Shulk. As I said before, as the release of Smash 3DS in Japan gets closer, the more suspicious I become that we haven't seen anything Xenoblade related yet if Shulk wasn't playable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well if Xenoblade is going to become one of Nintendo's bigger franchises, then they'll probably want to hype Shulk's reveal as much as possible. Therefore throwing in some Mechon would make it obvious that he's in.

P.S. @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU check your profile ;)
Maybe because Xenoblade enemies hadn't been programmed in yet? Or as some users have suggested, hiding all traces of Xenoblade content until Shulk's reveal.
The thing is, if there is some kind of Rhythm Heaven character in the game, why are they not hiding all traces of that until the character's reveal?

Basically, there are three possible answers to this I can come up with:

1.) There isn't a Rhythm Heaven character in the game, so they had no problem showing off a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run because it wouldn't be hinting at anything.

2.) Shulk isn't in the game, and there is no Xenoblade enemy for them to show in Smash Run.

3.) Sakurai just put whatever enemies he wanted in the demo for some unexplainable reason, so the presence of a Rhythm Heaven enemy and the lack of a Xenoblade enemy means nothing.

I'd say 3 is the most likely at this point, while 2 is the least likely. That's my take on the situation, at least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The thing is, if there is some kind of Rhythm Heaven character in the game, why are they not hiding all traces of that until the character's reveal?

1.) There isn't a Rhythm Heaven character in the game, so they had no problem showing off a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run because it wouldn't be hinting at anything.

2.) Shulk isn't in the game, and there is no Xenoblade enemy for them to show in Smash Run.

3.) Sakurai just put whatever enemies he wanted in the demo for some unexplainable reason, so the presence of a Rhythm Heaven enemy and the lack of a Xenoblade enemy means nothing.

I'd say 3 is the most likely at this point, while 2 is the least likely. That's my take on the situation, at least.
Or it could be to build hype. I mean, the Polar Bear from Ice Climber appeared and the ICs haven't been confirmed yet. Plus, it's very possible Shulk's trailer may be the very last one showed before release.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I've gotta say, I really didn't like the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character to begin with. But I think it'd be wacky and I'd be keen to see what could be done with one. Might pick up a second-hand Rhythm Paradise on Wii if I can find one.

Yeah, I'm goin' for 3. Our own over-analysis is hurting us, as we hype ourselves up for something that was never there to begin with.

derrickd95

Smash Rookie
My opinion on the Rhythm Heaven enemy vs no Xenoblade enemy is that the RH enemy might have been left in by mistake. I don't know the exact number, but I know that there are a ton of enemies in Smash Run. Who's to say that the people making the demo didn't forget to remove one out of the many?

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If Gematsu never mentioned Chorus Men, I doubt people even would have noticed that enemy or payed real attention to it

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't think every franchise has a smash run enemy either, so that could also be the case with Xenoblade. Basically, we have no way of knowing right now so it's better to not overthink things.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I don't think every franchise has a smash run enemy either, so that could also be the case with Xenoblade. Basically, we have no way of knowing right now so it's better to not overthink things.
no we need the mechons I NEED METAL BLOOD! or would it be oil?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Evn so, Xenoblade does have potential for a Smash Run enemy/boss. I can't imagine say, F-Zero, Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing having Smash Run enemies (unless FE has Risen from Awakening).

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
xenoblade having no smash run enemies would be such a missed opprtuinty IMO!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm not saying that I don't want Xenoblade content in smash run, I'm just saying that it isn't a guarantee.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Evn so, Xenoblade does have potential for a Smash Run enemy/boss. I can't imagine say, F-Zero, Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing having Smash Run enemies (unless FE has Risen from Awakening).
FE could have risen the other two yeah

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Specific attacks is one thing; a unique play-style among other Smash Bros characters is another thing entirely. My example utilizes up to four arts, by only taking up a single special move slot. Shulk still has three other specials and all of his Normal's for other moves and specific references, but if it's not a coherent play-style it's pointless.

The core idea behind this Shulk is "versatility". By being able to alter his stats, he's essentially an "all-around" type character. He seems like he'd be a good fit for the more "jack-of-all-trades" arch type normally, but with the usage of his "stance" changes he'd be able to switch to other arch-types. Glass Cannon (Enchant), Combo Oriented (Speed), Defense Oriented (Shield) as purely examples. A clever interpretation of Purge and Armor could lead to even more variety.

In RPG terms, he's the Red Mage of Smash.

Thanks. I suppose you can add me to the list. I've been rockin' a Shulk avatar for several months now as it is.
Shulk can be amazingly unique by using mechanics from his actual game, thank you very much. Tension, the directionality of attacks, and most importantly the talent gauge. If he also had battle soul as his down special he could choose to take damage to have the ability to unleash one of 4 powerful attacks. He would then have to chose which one of those 4 to use, as well as when he actually wanted to use them instead of saving the charge.

No other character plays like that and I don't have to make up a new gimmick that doesn't fit the playstyle of the game for it to happen.

Killswitch0078

Smash Rookie
If Shulk gets in, how many assist trophies do you think we'll get from the game? I mean, every party member in the game would make a nice assist trophy. Reyn could do something that would mimic agro, Sharla could both heal you and hurt people, Melia could give you various buffs, etc.

Edit: Also, can I get on that support list?

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
little tom nooks coming around and stealing your upgrades
no better yet tom nook comes by and breaks your kneecap because you forgot to pay him on your animal crossing game file

If Shulk gets in, how many assist trophies do you think we'll get from the game? I mean, every party member in the game would make a nice assist trophy. Reyn could do something that would mimic agro, Sharla could both heal you and hurt people, Melia could give you various buffs, etc.
I'd say 1 maybe 2 at most since it is still a new IP of nintendo

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
little tom nooks coming around and stealing your upgrades
Now that I think about it...scorpions/tarantulas :troll:
I am never catching any of those accursed things in my ACNL game again. Almost had a heart attack trying to get the scorpion ;A;

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Now that I think about it...scorpions/tarantulas :troll:
I am never catching any of those accursed things in my ACNL game again. Almost had a heart attack trying to get the scorpion ;A;
have the bees attack you

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
I really wanna see Riki as the assist trophy cuz Nopon and stuff. Plus he's got a lot of moves to choose from
no better yet tom nook comes by and breaks your kneecap because you forgot to pay him on your animal crossing game file
yes even better xD

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Edit: Also, can I get on that support list?
@BluePikmin11, here's another supporter to add!

Anyway, I'm seeing Reyn doing some shielding-based actions and Melia using Mind Blast to seal opponents' B moves for a short time.

I'm personally banking on Seven to be playable alongside Shulk tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom