• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Would I be right in saying Shulk's the last newcomer who's both highly requested and has a high chance of getting in? Or do you guys think Ridley and K Rool are also likely? Or even other characters I'm forgetting.
Well now that the gematsu leak is no longer very reliable it's all up in the air again.

I wouldn't count out King K Rool (or Dixie) or Isaac just yet. Even Ridley could be a tricky one. (Meta Ridley is the stage hazard not Ridley)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well now that the gematsu leak is no longer very reliable it's all up in the air again.

I wouldn't count out King K Rool (or Dixie) or Isaac just yet. Even Ridley could be a tricky one. (Meta Ridley is the stage hazard not Ridley)
Shulk is one of the (if not the) most likely characters to be revealed even without Gematsu imo.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shulk is one of the (if not the) most likely characters to be revealed even without Gematsu imo.
Arguable, some other characters have good chances, but I agree Shulk is up there!

domokl

Smash Lord
Would I be right in saying Shulk's the last newcomer who's both highly requested and has a high chance of getting in? Or do you guys think Ridley and K Rool are also likely? Or even other characters I'm forgetting.
Ridley and k rool are very likely with gematsu near dead so probably not

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Definitely.

We should remember that when the gematsu leaker said Shulk would be in we were missing our secret weapon, but now we have our secret weapon thanks to E3.

Xenoblade Chronicles X. Xenoblade Chronicles is now a series.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Though my Shulk faith has been a BIT shaken, the truth is I'm happy to see Gematsu busted. I personally believe it and though it was great to have "confirmation" that Shulk would appear, it came at the price of "knowing" every remaining newcomer, which in a way made this whole pre-release stalk of the game a bit less interesting. Now, I don't know what's up or down and honestly, I prefer it that way.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So, the other day I made it to Eryth Sea and my friends were watching me play, we stumbled across an obscure Dunban quote, which we found way too funny and since then it's reached memetic levels in our group.

"You can eat bread and not know how to bake it."

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ridley and k rool are very likely with gematsu near dead so probably not
RIdley isn't all that effected, honestly, it is still all about whether or not Sakurai was trolling. (And I never bought into Gemetsu revealing ALL the characters)

BUT PLEASE PEOPLE, LET US NOT DRAG OTHER CHARACTERS CHANCES INTO THIS THREAD ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only good things about all this is that Fire Emblem discussions will finally stop and CAPTAIN FALCOOOOOOOOON.

But I'm still confident about Shulk, but not because of Sal. More so the factor of Adam's tweet a while back.
Shulk didn't need Gematsu anyway.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So, the other day I made it to Eryth Sea and my friends were watching me play, we stumbled across an obscure Dunban quote, which we found way too funny and since then it's reached memetic levels in our group.

Oh god, why haven't I heard that before? It's great!

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't think Shulk fans really need to worry. He'll probably be shown off in August. What I do wonder is if his trailer will have a veteran reveal tied into his cinematic.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I think the Gematsu leak still has something to it. The outdated roster theory is the one I'm going with
Since with our two new characters that fills up the "mystery" spot with Lucina

With Shulk and Chorus Men the roster will be a perfect rectangle

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

I wouldn't even count out Mewtwo either, remember the characters were picked at the start of development and there was a lot of Mewtwo hype at the start of development, the Genesect Movie, his new X an Y forms, I still think he's replacing Jigglypuff.

Meta-Ridley is totally the stage hazard, we only saw his shadow, Sakurai just wants us to believe Ridley's not in this time, Metroid deserves 3 characters as well as Donkey Kong I guess, not a big DK fan, lol, I don't think I care if we see Dixie or K Rool, both are good choices although I much rather go old school and have Pauline.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
While I'm not discrediting Gematsu completely (it may have just been incomplete information, not necessarily "wrong"), I don't feel this effects Shulk's chances any. In fact, the only thing today has given us is two awesome new characters (and Captain Falcon), along with continued hopes for fan favorites along the lines of King K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, etc (Ghirahim, Dixie, blah blah blah). While I was excited to potentially see Shulk as much as anyone else, what this reveal today brought overall was considerably much more vast. . . And seeing as how I believe Shulk will find his way into the roster regardless, I'm fine with that, and others should be too.

Edit: As far as 'deserving' franchises, Metroid surely is one for a 3rd rep, along with a possible 5th rep for Zelda, but regardless of whether or not Donkey Kong is your fancy, I'd argue it deserves a 3rd, if not 4th additional rep more than any other represented franchise (King K. Rool being priority, of course). Donkey Kong is an unfairly overlooked franchise, and I never understood why. Donkey Kong is easily one of the most iconic video game characters and franchises ever (all this talk about the "Four icons" being in Smash makes me laugh (not disrespectfully), because three out of the four were already there; DK and Link > Mega Man and Sonic (and in my opinion Pacman, but I could understand people to think otherwise on that)).

Last edited:

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Lucina was my most wanted after Shulk, so I'm pretty happy. I think Shulk still livin' tho.

IronFish

Smash Ace
While Gemastu is just another leak on the wind, Shulk is still probably in the game guys, no worries he is very likely.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

"You can eat bread without knowing how to bake it" is like my favorite quote in the game. XD It's ridiculous how much my friend and I love it, we always squeal whenever we hear it. Oh Dunban, you can make anything sound sexy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey guys, I've been lurking these forums for a while, and decided to join today.

Shulk is my most wanted newcomer ever (Palutena, who was already confirmed, is my 2nd most wanted) and while I was a bit disappointed that Shulk was a no show today I eagerly anticipate the day he is shown c:

oh and
I'd be really down with Mechon!Fiora as another playable character as someone in the thread mentioned, with Final Cross as her final smash it would be so awesome...Melia wouldn't hurt either. And definitely Reyn as an Assist Trophy. Cause if FE: Awakening can have 2 reps I don't see why Xenoblade can't have more than one

It's very nice to meet you all! c:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
"You can eat bread without knowing how to bake it" is like my favorite quote in the game. XD It's ridiculous how much my friend and I love it, we always squeal whenever we hear it. Oh Dunban, you can make anything sound sexy.
I was worried we were the only ones weird enough to get such a kick out of it.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Still, out of all the newcomers left, Shulk is the only one that I learned existed because of fans liking Xenoblade so much. If Operation Rainfall didn't show the immense support Shulk would have, then I don't know what would.

So, yeah. I'm fully expecting him as always.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty, I think i've recovered from the lack of Shulk in that trailer. I still think he has an awful lot going for him though. Most people have already listed most reasons but there are a couple things which intrigue me whether they might be speculation or not.

I reckon Sakurai is aware of the rumours going around. I say this loosely but there are a couple of things which make me think this. Chrom's statement at the end almost seemed like it was directed at the Gematsu leak. Might just be me but hey.
Another thing is that Robin's Elwind; the green blast that interrupted Cpt. Falcon's punch seemed a little too coincidental. When we look at his gameplay, the magic that is highlighted is almost entirely thunder magic with some of the others thrown in. But wind magic (which was shown in the cinematic) was only shown once or twice. Perhaps it's just me being too hopeful but it seems significant that they'd choose the type of magic most similar to a Monado art.

In consideration of the Gematsu leak, I still believe Shulk is extremely likely. I doubt I need to explain why but don't forget that among the recent factors he is still immensely popular in Japan. And besides, I wouldn't consider the Gematsu leak completely "debunked". This guy has still guessed 8/11 right and although Chrom isn't playable he still plays a significant role in a sense. There's less reliance on the leak, but I believe it still has some credibility and that does nothing to hurt Shulk's chances.

Anyways, my views on the trailer? I was a tad bitter Shulk's absence but I think i'll be alright. Truth be told i'm a pretty big Fire Emblem fan so it was nice to see Robin's inclusion. I kinda expected him if they were to introduce a "mage" from the Fire Emblem series but it looks like they've handled him pretty well.

Text dump over

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh and could I be added to the support list please? Thanks c:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
@BluePikmin11 we have gained several supporters in the last few pages, just so you know.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I found a thing. Save it for Smash 4!:

lol at Reyn and you can now punch Juju and Mumkhar

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Delete this please.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

You brought this upon yourselves.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I know you guys must be bummed out that Shulk wasn't revealed and I understand that but you've gotta admit, Robin makes for a pretty sweet newcomer.
Oh definitely! I can't deny that I am REALLY salty about Lucina though.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Pfft, Shulk doesn't need some Gematsu leak to appear in Smash Bros. He stands out on his own.
What I think now is that because of the Xenoblade director's "dumb" tweet. Sakurai had to pull a last minute switcheroo to the Robin announcement.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Oh definitely! I can't deny that I am REALLY salty about Lucina though.
Lucina was really the one thing I didn't think was amazing in that trailer. I mean, I'm alright with her, but Captain Falcon and Robin were the real stars of the show for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom