• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Lucina was really the one thing I didn't think was amazing in that trailer. I mean, I'm alright with her, but Captain Falcon and Robin were the real stars of the show for me.
I would be totally okay with her if she was an alt for Marth, but now she is seemingly her own character with Marths EXACT moveset. Other then that, the trailer was great!

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I would be totally okay with her if she was an alt for Marth, but now she is seemingly her own character with Marths EXACT moveset. Other then that, the trailer was great!
I thought she was at first. She doesn't even have the fancy "newcomer rectangle instead of a square!" on the site. Hm.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I think they're doing a Toon Link here. At E3, several people said Marth had been nerfed and that he lacked any kill moves.I'm guessing that, if she doesn't have any unique moves, she'll be the center point between Ike and Marth.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'd support that for the record. I'm loving the game so much that I'd say Shovel Knight is my most wanted character who just won't get in. Never. Nope. I wish though.
Inb4 Shovelknight trophy tomorrow

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Brb, starting a Shovelknight support thread. no not really
There's already one xD

And yeah, I agree that Robin was an excellent reveal. I haven't played Awakening, but they look like a fun character to play.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I guess i'll have to make a heropon Sakurai support thread then.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
There's already one xD

And yeah, I agree that Robin was an excellent reveal. I haven't played Awakening, but they look like a fun character to play.
Awakening is the game that saved the Fire Emblem Franchise. Please understand when I say to go play it now.

D

Deleted member

I know you guys must be bummed out that Shulk wasn't revealed and I understand that but you've gotta admit, Robin makes for a pretty sweet newcomer.
In a way, I am a little upset that Shulk wasn't confirmed, but I'm not salty about it at all! Robin is a pretty sweet newcomer and I honestly preferred him over Chrom.

Besides, Shulk doesn't need some stinking leak! The future will eventually belong to him!

Play Awakening. It's an amazing game.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Awakening is the game that saved the Fire Emblem Franchise. Please understand when I say to go play it now.
I plan to, trust me.

Should be easier to get my hands on than Xenoblade. Love it to death, but my GOD. My local Gamestop happened to have it, but it was 45 bucks USED.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
So I was completely wrong about Shulk, haha.

I STILL CRIED MANLY TEARS TODAY THOUGH.

#MonadoMonday has been postponed but not forgotten. Shulk will still make his entrance into the fray. I'm sure of it.
I love how absolutely god damn psyched you are in that video.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I plan to, trust me.

Should be easier to get my hands on than Xenoblade. Love it to death, but my GOD. My local Gamestop happened to have it, but it was 45 bucks USED.
And 90 bucks on Amazon. It came out near the end of the Wii's life cycle, so copies are notoriously hard to find and notoriously expensive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was completely ok with Lucina and Robin myself. I will admit I too thought the wind spell to be Monado Purge at first ^^; One of my fav vets, Captain Falcon, being comfirmed along with them really boosted my hype too. c:

As for Shulk's trailer, I'm kinda hoping Ness (and maybe Meta Knight?) is revealed alongside them. I'm hoping for Ness myself.
Fiora and Melia happening at the same time though would be the cherry on top...speaking of should I maybe create a Fiora or Melia thread?

also, I really need to beat Awakening. :c been so busy with online classes and job applications and whatnot

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Well, we didn't see Shulk today. However, I'm still confident, and it'll make his reveal that much better when it does happen.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ganondorf, Snake, Ness, Lucas, Rob, Mewtwo, and Metaknight could all work with a Shulk reveal.

Basically everyone that's not Jiggly Puff or the Ice Climbers. Unless the Ice Climbers were climbing the Bionis.

So just Jiggly Puff.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Ganondorf, Snake, Ness, Lucas, Rob, Mewtwo, and Metaknight could all work with a Shulk reveal.

Basically everyone that's not Jiggly Puff or the Ice Climbers. Unless the Ice Climbers were climbing the Bionis.

So just Jiggly Puff.
Jigglypuff and Riki OTP.

There. Now it works.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah, I get that. I was really expecting no clone newcomers considering ow different each one looked up until Lucina. I'm also sort of split on her, I love Lucina but she's a clone. IT'S TEARING ME APART!
Well maybe it's better for her to be a clone rather than a fully new character.

It eases the pressure for other newcomers somewhat, since she'd only take up a fraction of the time a non clone would take to develop.

Plus even in Awakening there's this whole thing made of her being similar to Marth. So her being a clone (or semi clone) wouldn't be much of a cop out.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
A Shulk and Ice Climbers reveal on Valak Mountain would be pretty cool. . . I'd assume the reveal would have scenery relative to the stage, though. That's of course not 100% hand in hand to my knowledge, but still. Mewtwo, R.O.B, Ness and etcetera have obvious criteria for a conjoined reveal.

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
What about both Ness and Lucas? Maybe they're fighting some Mechon (could actually make sense if Psi is considered Ether?) and then one of them corners Lucas. Before Ness can react in time and just as the Mechon prepares to attack, Shulk runs in, leaps into the air and unleashes a Monado Buster!
Sakurai plz

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
What about both Ness and Lucas? Maybe they're fighting some Mechon (could actually make sense if Psi is considered Ether?) and then one of them corners Lucas. Before Ness can react in time and just as the Mechon prepares to attack, Shulk runs in, leaps into the air and unleashes a Monado Buster!
Sakurai plz
Then we see "Shulk unleashes the monado!" That would be awesome!

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
A Shulk and Ice Climbers reveal on Valak Mountain would be pretty cool. . . I'd assume the reveal would have scenery relative to the stage, though. That's of course not 100% hand in hand to my knowledge, but still. Mewtwo, R.O.B, Ness and etcetera have obvious criteria for a conjoined reveal.
*Starts with Ice Climbers climbing Valak Mountain*
*Ice Climbers reach peak. No monsters around.*
*R.O.B. comes out of nowhere.*
*Familiar, friendly greetings between vets when all of a sudden..

"IT'S REYN TIME!" Reyn bursts onto the scene, smashing R.O.B. away.

Reyn confirmed for Sma—

Oh, wait. I was supposed to talk about Shulk.

"Stahp it, Reyn," says Shulk, but Ice Climbers are pissed and fighting begins.

Shulk confirmed after Reyn falls off the mountain.

P.S. It's still Reyn Time.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Shulk potential moveset
Up special: Monado cyclone
N special: backslash (does more damage from behind)
Down special: vision of the future (counter)
Side special: Monado speed
Final smash: Monado buster

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So I was completely wrong about Shulk, haha.

I STILL CRIED MANLY TEARS TODAY THOUGH.

#MonadoMonday has been postponed but not forgotten. Shulk will still make his entrance into the fray. I'm sure of it.
Is "Lou-chee-na" an american thing?

I've always and have always heard people pronounce Lucina as "Lou-see-na".

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
There's a lot of people saying Shulk's still likely but not really explaining why, so I'll do the favor of posting some of these reasons (and I'm sorry if I miss one or two)

This is a long post, feel free to skim the headlines of each argument. That kind of serves as your tl;dr.

1) Gematsu isn't 'dead'
Before I stop mentioning Gematsu altogether, I would like to say that it's not necessarily dead. The Gematsu leak predicted a ton of characters, and we still have that sneaky spirit from Rythm Heaven that was spotted in Smash Run. It's possible that the leaker sending Sal Romano the emails could have mistaken seeing a completed model of Chrom for him being a character. The point is that we just don't know. It's probably best we hear an explanation from the leaker before we make our final conclusions on this. It could be that Shulk was planned for today but then moved to a later date for some reason, and the monolith developer who retweeted the character reveal today could have been mistaken in the same way the leaker was. The credibility of the leaker needs to be more stabalized for this point to have any weight, however.
That's all I'm saying about Gematsu

2) Sakurai's tweet of a real life Monado. 8/30/2013
http://operationrainfall.com/2013/08/30/sakurai-tweets-xenoblade-press-start/
Sakurai tweeted a picture of a monado that was at the press-start concert. It seems to have just been on the concert floor, by the players, for some reason. Perhaps Xenoblade music was being played? Nobody knows. Also, nobody knows the true intentions behind Sakurai's tweet. He could be a huge fan of the series or could have just found it neat. However you want to take it, there's only positives that can be taken from this as far is Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4.

3) Shulk is a commonly demanded character
Out west, as seen by this thread, vgtribune's Smash Poll 2012, and "Shulk for Super Smash Bros 4" fb page, Shulk is a hugely requested character. However, out in Sakurai's habitat, Japan, Shulk seems even more popular than he is here.
Other: Shulk gets quite a lot of requests. Shulk is easily the most requested Nintendo character from a series not represented yet with a playable character in Smash Bros. A distant second would be Starfy. There are several Japanese Smash fans that mention Punch-Out and Little Mac's "overseas" popularity. Isaac (Robin in Japan) and Matthew get few requests. Saki and Isa also get few requests.
Sakurai is paying attention to the people's requests which is seen by how he wanted vgtribune to send him the top few winners from the poll back in 2012. Many of our top requested characters have made it into the game, whether characters, assist trophies, or stage hazards.

4) Shulk can be easily translated into Smash 4
This may seem obvious to people but it's nonetheless important. The main argument people had against Ridley before that Nintendo Direct was that he is too big, implying he would not easily translate into Smash. The opposite can be used as an argument for Shulk. It's easy to make and implement a unique moveset for him. His auto attacks, arts, and monado arts lay out the potential moves he can have. When making the moveset for my ssbb mod, I didn't have to be very creative at all; although, I could have been had I had the resources Sakurai does.

5) "But I am no ordinary swordsman!"
Robin said this in the announcement today, and the truth of the matter is, this is important to people. The "no similar swordsmen" argument derived from the "no clones" argument, and it's valid for characters like Chrom or Lucina but not for Shulk. Shulk isn't just another swordsman, he is the wielder of the Monado, a powerful and unique weapon. For those who haven't played Xenoblade, the Monado opens up like a banana (Bonado :p) and a beam of energy comes out. This beam can vary in length, so it's not like it would have to be just like a sword with shock flags. More importantly, the Monado has a number of Monado Arts that could acts as B attacks, such as Monado Purge, Monado Cyclone, Monado Eater, Monado Speed, Monado Armor, and Monado Shield.

6) Voice actor of Shulk stated he's Voice acting in new game(s)
"I have been working on a new game recently. I can't say what it is yet but I was very pleased to see it trending on Twitter when it was announced. It's very satisfying to know there's a buzz and anticipation for a project you're involved in."
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/ninterview_meet_adam_howden_voice_actor_for_shulk

"Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling."
https://twitter.com/A_HOWDZ

7) Monolith Soft is the maker of Xenoblade
Monolith Software used to be third party but came to be owned by Nintendo and so 1st party before Xenoblade was released. This means Nintendo is free to use Shulk if they want, without special permissions. This also makes Monolith the only 1st party developer company without a representation in the Smash bros series. Furthermore, Monolith Soft also worked on Smash bros brawl, which puts into place even further connections to Sakurai.

8) Xenoblade's sequel
The sequel to Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles X, has an unknown amount of connection to Xenoblade. We know some guy at Nintendo treehouse said, "It's more of a spiritual sequel" when roughly asked how much the game relates to Xenoblade. We know there's a girl with two monado hairpins. We know that there's a nopon with the Satata's Japanese name (also sports similar glasses to Satata). I have my own arguments about the game, but I won't go into them. Anyways, connections to Shulk raise his relevance by lowering his obscurity and raising his foot print in Nintendo's timeline of gaming.
The sequel also improves the '7) Monolith Soft argument' because it means Monolith plays an even larger role in Nintendo.

9) Xenoblade is a masterpiece
Some awards (only the ones where Xenoblade got first place):
IGN [US] - 2012 Best Wii U / Wii Game
IGN [US] - 2012 People's Choice Best Wii U / Wii Game
Nintendo Life - Staff Award for Wii Retail Game of 2012
Nintendo Life - Community Award for Wii Retail Game of 2012
TechTudo [Brazil] - Best Wii-exclusive game of 2012 (in Portuguese).
Gamespot [UK] - Editor's Choice Best Wii Game of 2011
MMGN - 2011 Best RPG
RPG Fan - Best Sound of 2012, Best RPG of 2012
RPGamer - Best Music, Best Console RPG, Best Story, Best Overall RPG of the Year
Slant Magazine - #1 in Top 25 Best Games of 2012
PixlBit - Game of the Year 2012
The reason why you might find that Shulk supporters want him so bad is because of how great of a game Xenoblade is. It's seen as the game that turned around the JRPG genre. It has great story, astounding music, fun combat, and the best graphics that a wii game can have (this game tried to be hd on a non-hd platform!).

-

That being said, these are just the least subjective arguments that I can think of at the moment. As I said at the start, sorry if I missed some.

-

EDIT: (thanks Spazzy_D for reminding me of this)
10) Japanese voice actor of Shulk, Asanuma Shintaro, tweeted that he is hoping he can fill us in with some good news soon with #Xenoblade
https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476017276584333313
Google translate does a poor job on this.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I am also positive that Shulk will make it into the game because of the following two reason:

1.) Sakurai seems to like to make trailers with a lot of voice acting, and as we all know, the entire cast of Xenoblade never shuts up.

2.) Sakurai loves spoiling games for people.

@ erico9001 erico9001 you might want to add the tweet from Shulk's Japanese voice actor to your massive wall of text.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Naw, I'm American and that's the first time I've ever heard it pronounced that way.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Man, I was playing Xenoblade all night expecting Monado Monday...really close to finishing it too.
Thankfully the post in this thread gave more hope without relying on the leak. I did get into the game because of it, so I guess I should thank it regardless of crashing some hopes...

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
There's a lot of people saying Shulk's still likely but not really explaining why, so I'll do the favor of posting some of these reasons (and I'm sorry if I miss one or two)

This is a long post, feel free to skim the headlines of each argument. That kind of serves as your tl;dr.

1) Gematsu isn't 'dead'
Before I stop mentioning Gematsu altogether, I would like to say that it's not necessarily dead. The Gematsu leak predicted a ton of characters, and we still have that sneaky spirit from Rythm Heaven that was spotted in Smash Run. It's possible that the leaker sending Sal Romano the emails could have mistaken seeing a completed model of Chrom for him being a character. The point is that we just don't know. It's probably best we hear an explanation from the leaker before we make our final conclusions on this. It could be that Shulk was planned for today but then moved to a later date for some reason, and the monolith developer who retweeted the character reveal today could have been mistaken in the same way the leaker was. The credibility of the leaker needs to be more stabalized for this point to have any weight, however.
That's all I'm saying about Gematsu

2) Sakurai's tweet of a real life Monado. 8/30/2013
http://operationrainfall.com/2013/08/30/sakurai-tweets-xenoblade-press-start/
Sakurai tweeted a picture of a monado that was at the press-start concert. It seems to have just been on the concert floor, by the players, for some reason. Perhaps Xenoblade music was being played? Nobody knows. Also, nobody knows the true intentions behind Sakurai's tweet. He could be a huge fan of the series or could have just found it neat. However you want to take it, there's only positives that can be taken from this as far is Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4.

3) Shulk is a commonly demanded character
Out west, as seen by this thread, vgtribune's Smash Poll 2012, and "Shulk for Super Smash Bros 4" fb page, Shulk is a hugely requested character. However, out in Sakurai's habitat, Japan, Shulk seems even more popular than he is here.
Sakurai is paying attention to the people's requests which is seen by how he wanted vgtribune to send him the top few winners from the poll back in 2012. Many of our top requested characters have made it into the game, whether characters, assist trophies, or stage hazards.

4) Shulk can be easily translated into Smash 4
This may seem obvious to people but it's nonetheless important. The main argument people had against Ridley before that Nintendo Direct was that he is too big, implying he would not easily translate into Smash. The opposite can be used as an argument for Shulk. It's easy to make and implement a unique moveset for him. His auto attacks, arts, and monado arts lay out the potential moves he can have. When making the moveset for my ssbb mod, I didn't have to be very creative at all; although, I could have been had I had the resources Sakurai does.

5) "But I am no ordinary swordsman!"
Robin said this in the announcement today, and the truth of the matter is, this is important to people. The "no similar swordsmen" argument derived from the "no clones" argument, and it's valid for characters like Chrom or Lucina but not for Shulk. Shulk isn't just another swordsman, he is the wielder of the Monado, a powerful and unique weapon. For those who haven't played Xenoblade, the Monado opens up like a banana (Bonado :p) and a beam of energy comes out. This beam can vary in length, so it's not like it would have to be just like a sword with shock flags. More importantly, the Monado has a number of Monado Arts that could acts as B attacks, such as Monado Purge, Monado Cyclone, Monado Eater, Monado Speed, Monado Armor, and Monado Shield.

6) Voice actor of Shulk stated he's Voice acting in new game(s)
"I have been working on a new game recently. I can't say what it is yet but I was very pleased to see it trending on Twitter when it was announced. It's very satisfying to know there's a buzz and anticipation for a project you're involved in."
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/ninterview_meet_adam_howden_voice_actor_for_shulk

"Done some VO on several very exciting games so far this year. I'll tell you what they are when I know my balls won't be cut off for telling."
https://twitter.com/A_HOWDZ

7) Monolith Soft is the maker of Xenoblade
Monolith Software used to be third party but came to be owned by Nintendo and so 1st party before Xenoblade was released. This means Nintendo is free to use Shulk if they want, without special permissions. This also makes Monolith the only 1st party developer company without a representation in the Smash bros series. Furthermore, Monolith Soft also worked on Smash bros brawl, which puts into place even further connections to Sakurai.

8) Xenoblade's sequel
The sequel to Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles X, has an unknown amount of connection to Xenoblade. We know some guy at Nintendo treehouse said, "It's more of a spiritual sequel" when roughly asked how much the game relates to Xenoblade. We know there's a girl with two monado hairpins. We know that there's a nopon with the Satata's Japanese name (also sports similar glasses to Satata). I have my own arguments about the game, but I won't go into them. Anyways, connections to Shulk raise his relevance by lowering his obscurity and raising his foot print in Nintendo's timeline of gaming.
The sequel also improves the '7) Monolith Soft argument' because it means Monolith plays an even larger role in Nintendo.

9) Xenoblade is a masterpiece
Some awards (only the ones where Xenoblade got first place):
IGN [US] - 2012 Best Wii U / Wii Game
IGN [US] - 2012 People's Choice Best Wii U / Wii Game
Nintendo Life - Staff Award for Wii Retail Game of 2012
Nintendo Life - Community Award for Wii Retail Game of 2012
TechTudo [Brazil] - Best Wii-exclusive game of 2012 (in Portuguese).
Gamespot [UK] - Editor's Choice Best Wii Game of 2011
MMGN - 2011 Best RPG
RPG Fan - Best Sound of 2012, Best RPG of 2012
RPGamer - Best Music, Best Console RPG, Best Story, Best Overall RPG of the Year
Slant Magazine - #1 in Top 25 Best Games of 2012
PixlBit - Game of the Year 2012
The reason why you might find that Shulk supporters want him so bad is because of how great of a game Xenoblade is. It's seen as the game that turned around the JRPG genre. It has great story, astounding music, fun combat, and the best graphics that a wii game can have (this game tried to be hd on a non-hd platform!).

-

That being said, these are just the least subjective arguments that I can think of at the moment. As I said at the start, sorry if I missed some.

-

edit: Oh, I forgot about the Japanese voice actor tweeted something related to Smash 4. I can't remember what. Will put it in when I have info
Plot twist: Reyn time confirmed shulk is an assist trophy

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Sakurai: Now that they think that Shulk is dead, I am free to reveal him next month MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Is what I'm thinking. But I'm on to you, Sakurai. I'm on to you.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Sakurai: Now that they think that Shulk is dead, I am free to reveal him next month MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Is what I'm thinking. But I'm on to you, Sakurai. I'm on to you.
Shulk and chrom revealed in a double troll trailer! I can dream right! Seriously though Shulk is very likely in my eyes and I really want him in!

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687

I pronounced it Lu-chee-na. For some reason, I figured it would be pronounced like it would in Italian. Not sure why *shrugs*

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Just wanted to put something here real quick.
Hope they don't do the same to Shulk.

Last edited:

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915

No, it's a "Roger was too hype and mispronounced her name even though he's played 80+ hours of Fire Emblem Awakening and knows her name is pronounced as "Lou-see-na" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom