• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We got characters before the ballot was even confirmed, it's pretty obvious that the likes of Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu won't affect the ballot. The ballot characters won't even be worked on until the results come out, and in the meantime we already know about Lucas coming out in 2 months and we've gotten Mewtwo.

Honestly it seems pretty amusing to consider how a traditional fighter would play in Smash. Yes, he already has a full moveset, but as anyone who has played Smash and other fighters knows, Smash is completely different in terms of movement, combos, etc. The entire appeal would be watching familiar attacks in a completely different context. I look forward to seeing what they do with the idea, I'm loving all the silly 'final smash is dropping a car and playing the SFII bonus level" type ideas.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Ryu... in a fighting game?! That doesn't compute, it isn't rational or logical, he has no relevance to Smash. He isn't RECENT or IMPORTANT to Mario or Zelda. Just because Capcom is co-developing the game doesn't mean that he will be in the game. He doesn't represent anything, he wouldn't even be that fun to play. He just punches and kicks, no one likes him. He isn't hot like Samus or cool like Snake, so NO.

Edit: I just looked him up. Apparently he is a very popular fighting game character from something call Street Fight or something of that nature. Maybe he has a chance, I mean we have threads about Missingno and Reggimon Trainer... not to mention Kawashima. I still think Piano from SM64 is more likely.

/horrible attempt at being funny.
As it currently stands, Ryu is too unlikely, Capcom doesn't really need a second rep, and Sakurai stated recently that no fighting game characters can be in Smash.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
That was long time ago.
The new me is more open to new choices now. :p
Someone should take over the thread, Louie G. is currently very inactive to Smashboards right now.
Sorry, no bad blood here. :colorful:

The first hateful post though...

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm alot more positive about the idea of Ryu then I am of Roy.

Heck I almost don't mind it because the Nintendo Purists who have hated the thought of 3rd Parties in Smash can be simply mocked by saying...

They've Ryu-ined Smash Bros. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Well there is nothing much to worry about, this fighter is already coming to a Smash Bros near you. And if he doesn't, i owe everyone here 50 dollars.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Explaining to people who are doubting Ryu in Smash Bros:
His music files are present in Smash Bros 3DS, were added along with the last Update. I see no sense in becoming so much suspicious! After all you really think it would be simple for Nintendo to put by "accident" Street Fighter music files within his game?! Besides being something stupid on the part of the company, Capcom would still have rights on these songs!
These files are there for a good reason, and being one of these files a Victory music, we can assume it is as a playable character.
In addition were added together with sound files for Lucas and Roy, and Lucas is already know to be a DLC for June.
So we still can not be 100% sure for now, but this is SUPER STRONG.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
As far as historical importance goes, I don't think Sakurai's "No fighting game characters" thing can apply effectively. I'm super excited to see this character fall into the Smash Bros equation, given everything we've seen is true. I'm a huge supporter of Ryu. Can't wait to see him get revealed. Anyone think he could be an E3 reveal?

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
While I don't have a problem with the character, we really don't need 2 Capcom reps.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, you can say I do support Ryu even though I'm already satisfied with Megaman's inclusion for Smash 4.

Will wait and see if he is unveiled within the next couple of months.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Can you guys imagine?... The standard logo of the Smash trailer appears, and a normal battle between common characters already in the game is shown in the Battlefield; .. and then, the fight freezes and the Announcers yells "HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!" in a Street Fighter fashion;

Ryu appears as in his SFIV intro and says "The answer lies in the heart of Battle!" -- The splash screen appears! (I dunno about the text, XD XD);

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
DON'T TOUCH MY BABIES

I'd love Ryu if Sakurai didn't already "de-confirm" fighting game characters. If Capcom were to get another character, I'd prefer this guy. Mainly so I can spin around yelling "I'd like some pound cake!" and Shoryuken-ing up in someone's grill.
Side note: am I the only one who can actually pronounce
Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Really its not that hard well not for me at least ._.

anyways I feel a bit iffy on him I do not mind but I kind of feel like he would be a little out of place but thats just me.

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
This perfectly describes my reaction when I saw the Ryu and Roy findings.

Kinda excited for Ryu, but Roy? No thank you, I don't want worst lord back.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Explaining to people who are doubting Ryu in Smash Bros:
His music files are present in Smash Bros 3DS, were added along with the last Update. I see no sense in becoming so much suspicious! After all you really think it would be simple for Nintendo to put by "accident" Street Fighter music files within his game?! Besides being something stupid on the part of the company, Capcom would still have rights on these songs!
These files are there for a good reason, and being one of these files a Victory music, we can assume it is as a playable character.
In addition were added together with sound files for Lucas and Roy, and Lucas is already know to be a DLC for June.
So we still can not be 100% sure for now, but this is SUPER STRONG.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Totally still up for this. I think a Ken alt would be perfect for Ryu if he were to appear. His custom moves could be Ken's version of the attacks.
Someone should take over the thread, Louie G. is currently very inactive to Smashboards right now.
I'd like to take over this thread. I'd be up for it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Yeah...don't care for either character but, whatever, I'll still buy them anyways because I'm dumb and like giving Nintendo money. Wouldn't be surprised if DLC characters were announced as pairs from now on.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
were Luca's sound files found as well? because obviously he is more in development and i would guess his would be in there if Roy and Ryu's are

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
Yeah...don't care for either character but, whatever, I'll still buy them anyways because I'm dumb and like giving Nintendo money. Wouldn't be surprised if DLC characters were announced as pairs from now on.
If anything we can at least use them as training dummies if needed / have them available for people who want to play as them.

RaenUE

Smash Cadet
NNID
RaenUE
3DS FC
0705-3752-9517
I'd definitely take it with a grain of salt.
At this point I'm convinced that the audio was in the patch, but I highly doubt that they would leave files in for a fighter (which is still an assumption, they could be stage hazards or assist trophies) that hasn't been announced yet, and since Nintendo patched the spider thing-y with the browser for the 3DS, someone at Nintendo has to be aware that people know how to decrypt and/or data mine.
Not to be the guy who says "lol, sakurai is such a troll のワの", but this definitely feels like a red herring.
There might be some copyright issues with Nintendo using the Ryu audio file though, so that probably makes it more likely that they discussed something with Capcom outside of MegaMan.

tl;dr, get hyped all you want about Nintendo acknowledging Ryu and Roy, but I'd say wait a little bit before deciding that they'll be in the game.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I don't know why people are not excited about this. Man, Ryu is an iconic character of video gaming and fighting genre. Why not?

Because a majority of people aren't fan of fighting games except for smash? :0

But yeah when I think of fighting games. First thing that comes to mind is ryu!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I hope that in Ryu's reveal trailer, they show that Megaman is really happy to see him. Capcom brothers stick together.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I hope that in Ryu's reveal trailer, they show that Megaman is really happy to see him. Capcom brothers stick together.

But all jokes aside, I would love to have that scene in his reveal trailer. The more of an excuse to see Mega Man smile more often instead of being stoic all the time.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Worst Lord? Not when his dad and Michaiah exist.

Besides, can you really blame Roy when the best lords are Ike, Hector, the twins and Sigurd.

Nexelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nexelous
I can see Ryu being in the game since he had Street Fighter games on Nintendo. Despite him being on a fighting game, his Moveset is pretty easy and he could be a fair fighter around A B or C rank.

As for Roy, I'm happy to see him to but he'll need a few changes to himself to make him either a semi clone or very different of Marth. Probably his appearance from Awakening and the Sword of Seals could work for him.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I'm in-between excited for Ryu, and not. But hearing about Roy's possibility... That's a defiant no. I just hope we don't get a second Marth clone and they make Roy completely different. But like Fatmanonice said, I would still buy them both.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ryu in Smash feels off to me. I always thought of Smash as a series where characters who would never appear in a serious fighter could go and duke it out. That was a lot of the appeal to me. The inclusion of a character that exists only in a fighter game just... Feels odd. I'd have to see him in game to really make a judgement on this, but it doesn't feel right.
He's been in more than just fighters ya know :p

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Alright, I confess. Having Megaman in this game felt like JUSTICE for not having him in MvC3. Ryu coming here kind of ruins the mood for me. Although I might use him from time to time.

I just hope this isn't true because there are still several Nintendo characters I want to see before we get a 2nd batch of 3rd party characters from a same company. But that's just me. :p
Ok Pop Quiz time everyone!

Who owns the Street Fighter IP?

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Mewtwo still having the same moveset makes me a bit worried for Roy.
At least Mewtwo was generally buffed. The fact that he's a clone of a character who's generally mediocre in Smash 4 is more concerning. Do not want Marth 4's frame data. Roy will always be our boy though, even if he's bad again.
Ok Pop Quiz time everyone!

Who owns the Street Fighter IP?
The only company who'd use Smash 4 DLC as a test run before they make their series mascot on-disc DLC for SF5.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
At least Mewtwo was generally buffed. The fact that he's a clone of a character who's generally mediocre in Smash 4 is more concerning. Do not want Marth 4's frame data. Roy will always be our boy though, even if he's bad again.

The only company who'd use Smash 4 DLC as a test run before they make their series mascot on-disc DLC for SF5.
And that company specifically being?....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom