• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Which makes the whole thing make alot of sense, and more than likely just means we'll get more DLC characters than we thought. Which makes sense, considering Smash is partly a massive fanservice/advertisement machine.
I always try to look things on a positive and realistic manner and most of times they turn out to be true. Nintendo wouldn't add Ryu out of nowhere on Smash Bros, there must be something behind it. After all Nintendo needs to make profit from Smash and this would be an smart decision, they've been keeping up with the times recently.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Which makes the whole thing make alot of sense, and more than likely just means we'll get more DLC characters than we thought. Which makes sense, considering Smash is partly a massive fanservice/advertisement machine.
Yes in the sense that "dur hur Nintendo, we hate you because your systems are outdated, your games are kiddy crap and are neither mature nor hardcore! But can you plweez place our characters in Smash please?!"

Sadly Suda 51 was the first to do this. Now Team Meat follows, though they never been on Nintendo.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't expect SFV on Wii U, since everybody would know it would be the worst version by far: worse input options, worst online, worst graphics...

I believe it's something else, like a new Monster Hunter for Wii U or another amazingly bad vs. Capcom title (man, Tatsunoko and Marvel 3 were both terrible...).

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I wouldn't expect SFV on Wii U, since everybody would know it would be the worst version by far: worse input options, worst online, worst graphics...

I believe it's something else, like a new Monster Hunter for Wii U or another amazingly bad vs. Capcom title (man, Tatsunoko and Marvel 3 were both terrible...).
Either SFV with something exclusive like Nintendo character, or Tatsunoko VS Capcom 2, Marvel VS Capcom 4, DC VS Capcom or even Nintendo VS Capcom finally.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
As I pointed out before, with Nintendo's current willingness to deal with IPs and fund third party games, A Nintendo Vs Capcom game could be possible(and cool)

Hokuwokk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hokuwokk

I completely get that mvc3 was trash but Tatsunoko VS Capcom?... your crazy dude. Best fighter on the Wii and capcoms LAST GOOD cross fighter HANDS DOWN

SmashAdr

Smash Apprentice
woohoo Ryu is coming.. too bad we know now.. would of been crazy hype if it was a surprise

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm going disagree and state that these characters are probably totally seperate, if they exist than any characters that would come from the ballot, meaning that not all DLC characters have been picked beforehand, because we have to get someone from the ballot.

Also, I still think we're missing Wolf. Even if all this is real, I get the feeling we aren't seeing the whole picture here.
More will probably pop up with the Lucas update, I'm sure.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Just for make people aware about Street Fighter story on Nintendo (or at least, Ryu story on Nintendo);

EDIT: I just noticed that Nintendo systems got almost every entry of the Street Fighter main series.. lacking just any of the variations of Street Fighter III, and of course, Street Fighter V being a Sony founded game;
(also we never got any of the Street Fighter EX games, but they're all SpinOFFs, not made by Capcom);

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm fine with Ryu in Smash, I mean he's cartoony enough that with smash stylization he'll fit in fine, he's probably the most iconic fighting game character around, and he has been on Nintendo quite a few times. Oh, though I would find it funny, if they made it by staying true to his portrayals by making him actually something of a parody of a traditional fighting game character in the process... and what if his Kirby hat turned Kirby into Fighter Joe

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If people need to be broken down why Ryu gets to be in Smash, they just...don't get it.

He IS fighting games.

He's practically not only the mascot of Street Fighter.

He's the most iconic face of the genre itself.

excel_k

Smash Rookie
Ryu's iconicness/importance > 99% of any character's importance that the boards roots for.

ryu is kind of sort of a big deal
Oh yeah, he is. I like Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe and whatnot, but they are not getting in over Ryu, just to use as two examples.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Can we also get a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV for Wii U, Capcom?.. pretty please... :3

D

Deleted member

I can already think of Ryu's special moves, they are so obvious it hurts. Except for Down-B, what would that B?

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking down B would be a chargable focus attack that breaks shield, maybe let it be cancelled into things too.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Another third party character... but this is Ryu. He IS fighting games. I would've preferred Amaterasu but that isn't happening.

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
To be honest, I'd be perfectly ok with Ryu being in Smash. If anything, he has plenty of reasons to be in Smash Bros.

Another source for Ryu and Roy being in the 3ds
https://twitter.com/crediar/status/588452304539418624
This guy is the guy who made the decryption tool that I used for the Wii U version. Like Random Talking Bush, he's incredibly trustworthy. He's also the guy that found Tingle and got the Hyrule Warriors update early.

The files are only present in the 3ds version.

They 100% exist.
pushDustin is uber credible

basicaloly the guy who did a lot of Smash datamining

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I fully trust crediar. In addition: crediar also uploaded the music folder, which I have now. They are the same songs that were posted by the reddit source.

Jedizora

Smash Rookie
Certainly not the character I was expecting, but I'd love to see Ryu. Roy on the other hand, I'm not excited to see. I loved him in Project M, but we don't need two Marth clones, as much as I love Fire Emblem.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Ryu being a character is so hype. I'm a huge fan of Street Fighter, and he is definitely an icon of gaming. He's essentially the mascot and face of fighting games.

I can see it now, his stage would be the rooftop from SF2, with the breakable sign posts that you can throw people into for extra damage.

Maybe he could have the Japanese flag as his symbol, or for something that better represents the series, he could have a VS, a hadoken, or the headband.

His palettes would be: Default, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sean, Evil Ryu, SF1 Ryu (Ala MVC3's DLC costume), and either Gouken or Sakura for the last one.

Music would include:
SF2 Opening
Ryu's Stage Remix
Ryu's Stage Original
Guile's Stage
Chun-Li's Stage
Ken's Stage
Cammy's Stage
Indestructible (SF4 Theme)
SF3 Rap

UpB is Shoryuken
SideB is Tatsumaki
B is Hadoken (Three levels. Tap for regular, charge a bit for Denjin, and max charge is flaming hadoken)
DownB is that power kick from SF3, which could have shield breaking or launching properties. (It does cause a wall bounce in MVC3)
Final Smash is Shinku Hadoken
And then his tilts, aerials, smashes, and throws can all be implanted straight from the Street Fighter games. I can see it now!

These would be the trophies:
Ryu
Ryu (Alt)
Shinku Hadoken
Ken
Akuma
Chun-Li
Guile
M. Bison
Sagat
Sakura
Blanka
Zangief
E. Honda
Dhalsim
Balrog
Vega
Cammy

Bring in Chun-Li as an assist trophy and we've got Street Fighter fully represented!

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
If the potential Street Fighter Ryu "downloadable content (DLC)" does end up getting implemented, it would be very cool, although I wish it was kept as a surprise! :facepalm:

Well, I'm glad that the Cutting Room Floor Wiki helped to confirm the veracity of the Ryu sound file (which I still have yet to listen to.. >_>)

Ryu (of the Street Fighter series; dang it, why do there have to be so many Ryus?) is the only other non-Nintendo-exclusive videogame character I know of with enough clout to even dare to match the likes of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man; and Street Fighter's particular Ryu was the first one that came to mind (although understandably, there can still be people that are totally unfamiliar with him). Additionally, Street Fighter 2 did help to kickstart/jumpstart many of the fighting game genre staples, managing to be influential on videogames as a whole - without Street Fighter, we possibly wouldn't even have Super Smash Bros., in any iteration! Although it would be a bit weird seeing Ryu joining the Super Smash Bros. roster ahead of King K. Rool and Ridley (both of who are iconic enough and should have been playable by now, in my opinion), I think it makes total sense.

Great find! This stance of his is a bit odd, though (especially since the characters of Super Smash Bros. could have easily turned out as one of those traditional other "fighting games").
If this "Ryu DLC" does turn out to be true/developed, then Ridley fans still have hope (regarding Masahiro Sakurai changing his stance on something)..

Heh-heh , I cannot wait to see what The Fighter's Generation (an excellent compendium of fighting games in general, although there's a glaring omission :cry:) would do...first Pokken Tournament, and now Ryu potentially featuring in Super Smash Bros.! :grin: (Read here and here for the webmaster's current stance on SSB)

---

And then there is this!

Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/12-characters-homage-to-street-fighter-ii.396793/

The only thing I dislike about Ryu's potential inclusion is that most of his special moves would probably be similar to Mario and Lucario (particularly the usage of yet another Energy Ball neutral special move..I mean, I don't want to knock that type of attack, as it does indeed makes sense for Mario, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Samus and is just as practical as a sword, but it does seem a bit basic/oft-used.. >_>), and I feel that special moves should really set a character apart from the others. Had Mario's specials not been "inspired" by Ryu, I feel Lucario would have been well-suited to mimicking Ryu's Hurricane Kick and Shoryuken/Rising Dragon Fist (given that he already outright imitates the Hadouken via Aura Sphere). In any case, as long as Ryu's non-special moves can be made heavily distinct from Mario and Lucario, I think he'll be alright/fun to play as.. Ryu looks way different from Mario and Lucario, so that's a major positive aspect for him (unlike Lucina, Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Dark Pit, and somewhat Luigi, who all look very similar to the originators of their respective movesets - Marth, Mario, Link, Pit, and Mario). On a positive note, we might be able to get an "Aura Storm"-ish Final Smash (I thought that particular attack was unique in terms of usage/effect/implementation within Super Smash Bros. Brawl) in the form of "Shinkuu Hadouken"!

pushDustin is uber credible

basicaloly the guy who did a lot of Smash datamining
Good to hear (although why is the post that you're quoting inaccessible...?).
I'm glad that shinyquagsire23's news wasn't a hoax (I was kind of dubious that anyone with past "data-mining" credibility would be faking something somewhat minor like this for a cheap laugh at the cost of their reputation, especially given the vitriolic reactions that can arise from Super Smash Bros. fans and also that it would only be a matter of time before determined people like those at the Cutting Room Floor and other similar data-mining communities will eventually verify something's presence or absence in the game data); time will tell whether the "Ryu DLC" plans come to fruition..

EDIT: Oh yeah; this Ryu development also gives us a potential opportunity to have "Guile's Theme" (which goes with everything) sensibly make it into Super Smash Bros.! We just can't pass that up!

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
While I'm no fan of Street Fighter by any means, Ryu would be a pretty sweet addition.

I'm still a little iffy on this potential leak though.
It's just that..... not Rayman.... another Capcom....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ya'll acting ridiculous.

Like Ryu ain't a gaming icon or something.

Like he can't get into Smash just because you know he's a ****ing fighting game legend.

Nope, totally Evil! Capcom ruining Megaman's party again.

Whatever.
Sorry, I know it's a big deal but I personally think Ryu is boring as Hell as a character and I don't really like traditional fighting games like Street Fighter. Yeah, he's hugely iconic and makes perfect sense but, on a personal note, he's far, far down the list on characters I want to see in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom