• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
So I got my hands on Ryu today, and let me first say this.

He's got power like Little Mac.

... Yet he can recover.

Naturally I imagine a lot of players will flock to Ryu simply for the power + combo potential. I already know one of my favorites is Focus Attack into Focus attack into Upsmash.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm gonna give my major thoughts in the dojo but for now, he's powerful on the ground and can rack up damage pretty quickly.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Can we talk about how Ryu's links from Street Fighter IV basically transferred into Smash and he can lock many character into hit stun juggles into like....nearly everything.

Command input Shoryuken is already strong but add the fact you can link into it directly from crouching short (If you don't know Street Fighter terms that's down light kick, in smash down tap a) and basically kill half the roster at 100%. So far the "heaviest" I have killed Dark Pit in For Glory with crouch tap A -> Manual Shoryuken sending him to the roof at Final Destination. I killed Capt. Falcon with the same combo at I think was 105%. Didn't really see because that is when I was trying to see what actually works from Street Fighter.

Anyone else experiencing this?

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I was absent last hours 'cause I WAS HAVING A BLAST playing as him! (oh, of course, excluding the time I took to purchase,.. oh God, so many errors. XD).. He's amazing, beyond my expectations! .. Loved the particular Inputs, I felt in home! --though, I lost my first ONline battle against a Lucina.. lol. but was really satisfying executing a Full Charged Focus in her shield and having everything destroyed! (the player probably didn't know about that property and held the shield without fear); . I'll practice more tonight! =D

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm absolutely loving playing as Ryu. Totally gonna be my new main, no questions asked. Love everything about him. :4ryu:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I'll definitly add Ryu to my mains aswell. For one because i generally love how he plays, and second to troll my sister who loves her Shield Breaker on Lucina a little too much... Perfect fodder for Focus Attack X)

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
I'm just going to say that Ryu cannot full hop onto the small platforms of Dream land. His full hop doesn't carry him high enough. Ryu's still pretty cool, though.

Chaos_Knight

Smash Cadet
So I just found out Ryu can sort of do an air dash. Just do his Focus Attack in the air and then cancel it with a dash as you would on the ground.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Wow, I really enjoy Ryu's playstyle. In my opinion, one of the series' best made movesets. I might pick him up as a secondary for a more aggressive supplement to my defensive Pac-Man. I've never played Street Fighter seriously, and yet he feels quite natural for me to use.

His stage is also one of my favorite omegas.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Ryu is great and in my opinion has one of the most intuitive movesets in Smash history. His Shoryuken and Focus Attack are some of the best moves in the game as they aid recovery, can KO pretty early and are pretty much anti-counters. Ryu in general is just a great character and is definitely someone i am going to continue using.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
FADC in this game is just as good as it is in SF4, arguably even better cause you can do it in the air. Keep in mind that you can use it to absorb one hit and you can dash cancel it on hit AND block(excuse the Capcom terminology)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Guys, soon I'll be doing a breakdown of all SF references and homages within Ryu's animations, moves, trailer and such; (just like I did with Pac-Man when he was announced); .. I'll be posting soon (probably after E3 I'll have more time to work on this. =))

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What are the most noteworthy fundamentals to learn with Ryu? Besides the things shown on the presentation. I'm gonna check out a combo video as well. Especially looking for things like auto-cancels and whatnot.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Of course I knew that the Miiverse stage would be flooded by a ton of disgusting posts, but I've done some drawings to cheer Ryu; .. let me know if you guys see one of these while playing; =P

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
i feel like this post is more fitting here than in the social thread, but although i'm late, i wanted to say congratulations to Ryu's supporters. i honestly didn't expect him to join smash, much less come out so suddenly, but now that he's here, it's actually pretty great!

as for the DLC, i absolutely love him. he's a ton of fun to play and is possibly the most technical character i am interested in. i see alot of potential with the character and hope i can learn him, i honestly don't think he'll become my main simply because i don't know if i'll really master him, but i'll at least use him as a secondary.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
Just purchased the Ryu combo, and all I can say is WOW! I've only gotten in 3 battles with him, and already, I'm having a blast.

Spirst

Alright, there's already a social thread and the character is finally in the game so I imagine this can be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom