• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No, this is Goemon

He hails from the Mystical Ninja/Goemon series, of which there were 3 SNES games(only 1 got a western release, currently is on VC), 1 Gameboy game(currently on VC), and 2 N64 games(both released in the west)... not sure of anything else outside of that
Great, now I have that one kid on Miiverse (Croi) on my mind because of the many Goemon requests on most Pic of the Days. :urg:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Agumon , vote for him! ( It s hard to get people to help Digimon these days =/ )

Im making some art for Ryu here.

What Ryu model of Sprite do you think they will use to create the Ryu for Smash?

Last edited:

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
Agumon , vote for him! ( It s hard to get people to help Digimon these days =/ )

Im making some art for Ryu here.

What Ryu model of Sprite do you think they will use to create the Ryu for Smash?
The SFII one. Everyone seems to keep bringing up the other games and such. But With the music we've heard so far they are clearly going for the time Ryu had a presence on a Nintendo console much as they made Mega Man strictly classic from his Nintendo days.

Graizen

Smash Champion
The SFII one. Everyone seems to keep bringing up the other games and such. But With the music we've heard so far they are clearly going for the time Ryu had a presence on a Nintendo console much as they made Mega Man strictly classic from his Nintendo days.
Look :

I think the SF3 one is the best one , but the CvS one is the closest to the Sprite from SF2.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I can already what he will look like in the game stance and everything he would look like a bit like Little Mac with the eyebrows and such

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I got used with buff Ryu; is already a thing since SFIII anyway; and he's everywhere, including his appearance in TvC which everybody loves so much;... so, I'll take it. =)... Oh, and I love the additional details that were included in SFIV, like the signs in his gloves and the black belt.

D

Deleted member

Sad thing is, I'm more excited over the possibility of Guile's Theme officially gracing Smash Bros. (even if only on the Wii U game) than I am about Ryu himself. :p

Hope that doesn't make me bad. :laugh:

Vineyard Vines

Smash Rookie
In Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Quarter Circle > B instantly throws a Hadoken.

I know that Sakurai no longer works on Kirby, but I'd say that if a specific input is simple enough for Kirby, it's simple enough for Smash.
Yes, a hadouken is relatively easy to perform, not in rapid succession though. Pulling off a shoryuken, while easy for us who play SF, would make Ryu very hard to play for the casual audience. New players who pick Mario for example, then select Ryu would have no clue how to use him. I would love having him with his traditional controls, even being 6 button based would be awesome. Besides, only the pro controller would fit that style.

It is best to keep his control scheme like the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Hmm...assuming that the sound files that were datamined are indeed true, something is a little strange about them. Both songs are from the 16 bit era. And in particular, the victory theme doesn't have any modern sounds in it.

This is strange to me, because even the most classic of classic characters have modern sounds in their victory themes. Pac-Man and Duck Hunt, in particular, have modern sounds in their victory themes despite also having chip tunes in them as well. So, why is Ryu's victory theme different? It is purely chip tune/16 bit. Could there perhaps be a reason for this?

1) Placeholder songs until more modernized ones are made?

2) Nostalgia?

3) Easy to implement as DLC because it is more space-conservative?

All of these would make sense, especially the last one. But at the same time, Sakurai is a very detail-centric person. Take Kid Icarus: Uprising for example. 108 different weapons with their own trophies, descriptions, bullet animations, and etc. Tons of music and items in the game as well. A pretty staggering amount of content, that is also very detailed. And Smash Bros is the same. Sakurai is very meticulous when it comes to his creations.

So if Sakurai is that kind of person, then the above three reasons begin to make a little bit less sense. Why would Sakurai, of all people, do this? If Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and other characters all get remixed themes, then why not Ryu? Reason 1 still stands, as the character files themselves are placeholders right now (Extra "Mario" files). Reason 2 doesn't make as much sense on the surface, because Sakurai would want to expand upon nostalgia like he did with Duck Hunt's theme. And Reason 3 makes a little sense, if they are adding 7 stages with 14 potential new songs to be added. With 5 new characters and 7 new stages (14 if you count Omegas), they clearly have enough room to do these things.

After all, this was stated before, when people speculated that DLC would happen in Smash Bros because of unused extra space. And lo and behold? Mewtwo, Mii Costumes, Lucas, and the Smash Ballot did absolutely everything to prove that we indeed eventually got DLC.

http://nintendonews.com/2014/09/smash-bros-3ds-dlc-download-card/

Where am I going with this, you are probably asking? Well, what if there is another reason we haven't explored yet? What if there is another reason why these sound files are chip tunes, that's NOT one of the three reasons above? If that is the case, then I have a conclusion that would be a very unexpected answer to this mystery:

4) Ryu, as a character in Smash Bros, is going to be 16-bit. A sprite.

But wait, that doesn't make any sense. Why would they do something like this?

Well, a couple of things lead me to believe that this can happen. The biggest reason to me would be from the big man himself, as to why characters who already exist in a fighting game would be weird in Smash.

“The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros. is, ‘What does this character bring to Smash Bros. that other characters don’t?’ If you look at… someone from a fighting game already, and people like fighting with this character, from my point of view, it’s like ‘this guy does what this guy already does. He fills the role that this character already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-sakurai-isnt-keen-on-adding-fighting-characters-to-smash-bros/

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/07/sakurai-on-fighting-characters-in-smash/

Of course, this could also be him just talking about worrying about "clones" (which are in the game anyways). And besides, Sakurai has went back on his word a LOT of times in the past, as well. But at the same time, we shouldn't discredit what he says either, at least until there is enough proof to discredit it. And at the time being, there isn't much to discredit the statements that he has made above.

The second biggest reason to me as to why Ryu could potentially be a 16 bit character in Smash Bros is this: When people think of Ryu, as a fighting game character, what do they see them as? That answer is easy. They see Ryu like this:

This is the look that most people associate Ryu with today. Definitely looks badass...but also like a "fighting game character" in Sakurai's eyes, probably. A character who "Is a guy who does what he already does. He fills the role that he already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here".

In other words, he already fulfills his niche in fighting video games. Everyone knows what he does, and in some people's eyes, he doesn't bring many new things to the table. Why? Because a lot of people have already played as Ryu in other fighting games, specifically Street Fighter (for obvious reasons).

And this somewhat contrasts with Sakurai's desires when it comes to making characters. What does Sakurai like, and want? He likes quirky, and weird characters and mechanics. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Bowser Jr in the clown car, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, and even Little Mac with how he can't fight well in the air but is amazing on the ground. Sakurai likes characters with a niche that no other character can perfectly replicate. He wants these characters to do something different, more than just having different attacks. But also having unique mechanics, and being truly unique at what they do (even if what they do isn't always great competitively). But what does this mean for Ryu? Other than being popular, does he really stand out as much as these other characters when it comes to a gameplay perspective?

To Sakurai, it might not be enough. He might not be quirky enough for his tastes, especially when the character already has a "defined role" like Ryu does. And if that's the case, Sakurai would probably want to try to do something to make the character "stand out" more. Something to make the character have a "niche" that no other character can fill. It is in Sakurai's very nature to do things that nobody expects. That's just the kind of guy he likes to be. Unpredictable.

Anyways, I have gone off on a tangent. So my new question is this: When people think of Ryu in correlation with Nintendo, what do they see him as? What does Nintendo's version of Ryu look like? The image that comes to people's minds would be none other than this:

Street Fighter 2's Ryu. The very game in which Ryu's hidden sound files come from. Both his stage theme, and his victory theme. This is the version of Ryu that most people think of when they think of him being from Nintendo.

If Sakurai were to add in 16-bit Ryu as opposed to his modern design, the character who is commonly seen as a "fighting game character" would suddenly become very quirky. Despite how this very same sprite was in one of the most popular fighting games of all time. It's quirky, because it contrasts people's expectations. It goes against what as seen as the norm today. And suddenly, Ryu becomes a lot more interesting than what people initially anticipated.

This is the kind of thing that Sakurai likes to have.

Not only is this image associated with Nintendo consoles, it also makes Ryu look less of a serious fighting game character. Additionally, it is something that no other character can lay claim to as part of their "niche". Not even Game & Watch, despite his own unusualness on the roster. And despite still most likely having everything you would expect from Ryu when it comes to a moveset, Sakurai would still be able to blow people's minds with a move like this. To him, I am betting it would be a perfect solution for the "problems" he would otherwise have with a character like Ryu. And despite being the same character, 16 bit Ryu would have his own "identity" in comparison to the modern Ryu. And this is something that Sakurai could use to make him feel unique again, and "fit into Smash Bros better", despite being the same character.

Of course, I am looking way too deeply into this. This most likely won't happen. The sound files are probably how they are because of being placeholders, for nostalgic reasons, or because they were easy to add because they save space. Those are still the most likely reasons, by a large margin. So everything I said just now is probably all for naught. Speculation without concrete proof.

Even so, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to try to do unexpected things. He has done so many, many times before. So the possibility of this happening could very well still exist, even if it is a chance that is lower than 10%. Even if Ryu isn't a 16 bit character, I still anticipate him to try to do something unexpected for Ryu, even if it is something way smaller than I am imagining.

Plus, people have stated that they wanted to play as the Flying Man on Magicant despite not being an important character at all in comparison to every other character on the roster. How cool would it be to play an 8 to 16 bit character, even if it isn't Ryu? To some people, this idea would sound very appealing. Because, despite how old 8 bit/16 bit sprites are, they still capture a sense of uniqueness and nostalgia that not many other things can lay claim to. People still really like sprites. Just ask Shovel Knight. (whom I would also REALLY love to see in Smash Bros as well).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disregarding everything else I have said though, I would love to see Ryu in Smash Bros, no matter what form he is in. And I am entirely expecting him to have a 3D model. He is one of my main characters in Street Fighter (T.Hawk/Zangief/Q being three of my other favorites), and one of my favorite video game icons of all besides Mario/Mega Man/Mewtwo/etc.

So, here's hoping that he truly is in Smash Bros. And I wish good luck to all of his other fans here.

tl;dr just wanted something fun to talk about and speculate~

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Pac-Man got a non-remixed Victory Theme from Ghostly Adventures as a placeholder, and Sonic still have the same sample from Sonic '06 as his.

There's no motive to worry or speculate on this;.. It's pretty unlikely that Ryu will come with a retro-appearance, imo.. The character have already evolved and was very well received by everyone; and everybody would recognize him even with a 3D Model; ... and besides everything, he already has an established image after his SFII design anyway.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
How do we know this for sure?
I remember hearing that when Pac was first shown in the closed roundtable with Sakurai and the Journalists (someone recorded the audio of the reactions and the fight); and I think it's indeed reaffirmed by SSBWiki.

D

Deleted member

I remember hearing that when Pac was first shown in the closed roundtable with Sakurai and the Journalists (someone recorded the audio of the reactions and the fight); and I think it's indeed reaffirmed by SSBWiki.
.....there seems to be a mistake.

Judging by this video of the roundtable at 1:43, the audio is that of Smash 4's final release, not Ghostly Adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Not this video; there's another with the audio from the entire conference... I'll try to find;

I may be wrong, but his video of Pac-Man was posted some days after his announcement, which they could update the Victory Theme just editing the video.

In any case, this doesn't nullify the Sonic's case I mentioned. :p

EDIT: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Victory_theme#Pac-Man_Victory_Theme

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I brought it to their attention and they got rid of it. :p

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Yeah, I brought it to their attention and they got rid of it. :p
Oh!.. Okay then... I was looking for the Pac-Man's original thread for find the other video that I mentioned; but.. if you say, maybe I was wrong..
------------
Anyway... bringing more Ryu stuff for assign into the knowledge of everybody;

This video-montage is amazing (needs an update, btw.. it's already a while since SFV release), but really shows Ryu's story and how great character he is!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I support Ryu. He's the ORIGINAL Video Game Fighter.

And all these music suggestions and no mention of the best SF Character Theme?

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
So, we've went over what Ryu's specials could possibly be, and the common one seems to be Neutral = Hadouken, Side = Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, Up = Shoryuken, Down = Focus Attack, so now this begs the question:
WHAT WOULD RYU'S NORMALS BE? Would there truly be a way to incorporate all of his normal attacks from the various fighting games he's been in, into his Smash normals? I'm not too familiar with Street Fighter, so if anyone can help me out with this, that would be great.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So, we've went over what Ryu's specials could possibly be, and the common one seems to be Neutral = Hadouken, Side = Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, Up = Shoryuken, Down = Focus Attack, so now this begs the question:
WHAT WOULD RYU'S NORMALS BE? Would there truly be a way to incorporate all of his normal attacks from the various fighting games he's been in, into his Smash normals? I'm not too familiar with Street Fighter, so if anyone can help me out with this, that would be great.
If you check the video I posted above, you'll see a lot of his normal moves during the combos; Also, of course, the Air Attacks;.. this is a must have; just screams Ryu:

and here's his Dash Attack! Solar Plexus Strike *-* ...

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Their ideas for Normals are nearly perfect, imo; But I wouldn't include the EXCEL increase as a Down-B, and not even put Evil Ryu's transformation as his Final Smash;.. I don't even think that Evil Ryu will make an appearance aside maybe a Color Swap. But that's just me.. :\/ ... Also, they could had explored more moves from other games.. the MUGEN character they were using is very varied but it's most based on CvS (with tiny details coming from other games);

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Evil Ryu's transformation as his Final Smash;.. I don't even think that Evil Ryu will make an appearance aside maybe a Color Swap.
Color swaps I see being the following:
Regular Ryu
P2 Ryu(Dark blue Gi)
Ken Ryu
Sean Ryu
Akuma Ryu
Evil Ryu
Dan Ryu
Oni Ryu

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Their ideas for Normals are nearly perfect, imo; But I wouldn't include the EXCEL increase as a Down-B, and not even put Evil Ryu's transformation as his Final Smash;.. I don't even think that Evil Ryu will make an appearance aside maybe a Color Swap. But that's just me.. :\/ ... Also, they could had explored more moves from other games.. the MUGEN character they were using is very varied but it's most based on CvS (with tiny details coming from other games);
They don't seem like fighting game guys anyway. So it's not too surprising.

Graizen

Smash Champion
How do you think will be the gameplay of Ryu in Super Smash Bros 4?

1 - Some people believe that he may have a special bar and using it he could use some stronger attacks.

2 - Other people believe that he may have the same transformations of Marvel vs Capcom and copy Ken and Akuma.

3 - I also saw some people commenting that he could have the same set of conventional method of Street Fighters and use combos, aerial combos and such.

4 - And also others who simply think that it will have the same playing method of the characters in Super Smash.

What do you think? Do you have any different idea?

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I think it'd be cool if all his moves were individually sub-par in both damage and knockback, but he could operate on a magic series like PM Lucario: Jabs cancel into tilts into smashes/specials. Aerials cancel into specials.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
How do you think will be the gameplay of Ryu in Super Smash Bros 4?

1 - Some people believe that he may have a special bar and using it he could use some stronger attacks.

2 - Other people believe that he may have the same transformations of Marvel vs Capcom and copy Ken and Akuma.

3 - I also saw some people commenting that he could have the same set of conventional method of Street Fighters and use combos, aerial combos and such.

4 - And also others who simply think that it will have the same playing method of the characters in Super Smash.

What do you think? Do you have any different idea?
It's just unexpected... but if I had to do myself, I'd put him with a Super Bar; but just for EX attacks;.. turning his Specials stronger once is full.. and could be used just once by a full bar;..

Hadouken would turn into Shakunetsu Hadouken; (Neutral)
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku into Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Side);
Shoryuken would into Shin Shoryuken (just like SFxTK); (Up)
and Joudan Sokutogeri into it's EX Variation (which has no specific name :p); (Down);

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
It's just unexpected... but if I had to do myself, I'd put him with a Super Bar; but just for EX attacks;.. turning his Specials stronger once is full.. and could be used just once by a full bar;..

Hadouken would turn into Shakunetsu Hadouken; (Neutral)
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku into Shinkuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Side);
Shoryuken would into Shin Shoryuken (just like SFxTK); (Up)
and Joudan Sokutogeri into it's EX Variation (which has no specific name :p); (Down);
I imagine Ryu's moveset to be similar to what you just described. His main gimmick would be a super bar that fills slightly faster than Little Mac's and doesn't disappear and to activate the super, one would press A+B plus the corresponding input.

B: Hadoken--->Shinku Hadoken
Side B: Tatsumaki Senpukyaku--->Shinku Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Up B: Shoryuken--->Shin Shoryuken
Down B: Focus Attack---> Red Focus Attack (it grants infinite super armor during the attack and doubles the damage.)

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Tomorrow I'll try to illustrate better my thoughts about Ryu's moveset; =)
got excited by all this stuff (and while I was looking the conversation, I was playing MSHvsSF, I had a lot of ideas from there. =) ).

Sonsa

Smash Champion
He certainly seems like a great addition to me. I predicted him as the runner-up to Megaman before E3 2013, cause...well it was obviously going to be Megaman, but Ryu was in my mind just cause of how badly Capcom had been treating Megaman... Anyway!
He's just like...so iconic! Like Pac-Man feels perfect for smash and having his legacy celebrated here because he's like...the original video game icon, what some people first think when they think video games. Ryu is that but for fighting games.

Kinda shocked some people are still stubbornly not believing this...? I mean...the files are there. And so what if Sakurai said "no fighting game characters" or something, he also said Mewtwo was our only DLC!

Whatever, I dunno if I'll use him a lot, but he's ganna be really fun to fight and see in Smash, can't wait for E3!

Graizen

Smash Champion
He certainly seems like a great addition to me. I predicted him as the runner-up to Megaman before E3 2013, cause...well it was obviously going to be Megaman, but Ryu was in my mind just cause of how badly Capcom had been treating Megaman... Anyway!
He's just like...so iconic! Like Pac-Man feels perfect for smash and having his legacy celebrated here because he's like...the original video game icon, what some people first think when they think video games. Ryu is that but for fighting games.

Kinda shocked some people are still stubbornly not believing this...? I mean...the files are there. And so what if Sakurai said "no fighting game characters" or something, he also said Mewtwo was our only DLC!

Whatever, I dunno if I'll use him a lot, but he's ganna be really fun to fight and see in Smash, can't wait for E3!
Hey SOnsa , how to you think the Ryu trailer will be? And do you think we will see more characters?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think he'd be best served with a super bar.

I'd still allow him to have a super attack which he can spend the full bar on. Not quite Final Smash material. If you've seen his supers in the games it's usually a five or six-hit single extremely large fireball, or the Shin Shoryuken which is Final Smash material.

But maybe if you have both a full super AND a smash ball you get access to a secret attack, the Shun Goku Satsu...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You know how Ryu has variations of Ken and Akuma in Marvel vs Capcom 1?

How about bringing that back as a Down special ala :4shulk:stances but much more refined.

Ken variant:
Faster moves with fire effects. Not as much knockback and recovery is worst.

Sakura variant:
All around faster movement, higher jump, can chain specials and other attacks together. Horrible damage input, horrible knockback and moves have more lag.

Akuma variant:
Harder hitting moves, knockback is just as strong as:4littlemac:&:4bowser:. Can be KO easily, speed is nerfed and shield is weaker than before

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hey SOnsa , how to you think the Ryu trailer will be? And do you think we will see more characters?
Hiya, interesting that you're interested, I guessed what the trailer could be like here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/hadouken-ryu-for-smash-bros.341804/page-10#post-19028233

And sure, some placeholder files suggest at the very least two more unknown fighters. I'm sure Wolf will make a return, a little confused as his file isn't already there, I think he's pretty much the same situation as Lucas, popular Brawl semi-clone. Then they also need to choose some ballot winners. And while unlikely, I wish they'd stop being stubborn with the rosters having to be the same, if they don't work on 3ds, fine, but if they work fine and are pretty much done on Wii U, make em Wii U exclusive!
Sorry, I think I'm derailing, but uhh, yeah, some new fighters are certainly on the way after Roy and Ryu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom