• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Alternate Costumes:

From Left to Right, Top to Bottom, these are the following:

1) Ryu
2) Ken
3) Chun-Li
4) Guile
5) Dhalsim / Sean
6) Dan
7) Blanka
8) Evil Ryu/Akuma

What do you think? I think they're Ry-oozing potential.
Hmm, I rather like these, especially the Blanka one.

Anyhow, if the Ryu leak turns out to be true, I won't be too upset, since that pretty much means that any third party company can have more than one representative.

I don't know if Street Fighter is still huge nowadays, but I remember way back in the day when Street Fighter was the %&#$. That said, from a business standpoint, adding Ryu in Smash would probably be a good move, since he's so iconic.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Does everyone here promise to boycott Ryu if Guile Theme doesn't show up on either version?
I want Guile's theme, but realistically I will be buying Ryu regardless of which music comes with him.

Hmm, I rather like these, especially the Blanka one.

Anyhow, if the Ryu leak turns out to be true, I won't be too upset, since that pretty much means that any third party company can have more than one representative.

I don't know if Street Fighter is still huge nowadays, but I remember way back in the day when Street Fighter was the %&#$. That said, from a business standpoint, adding Ryu in Smash would probably be a good move, since he's so iconic.
Cheers. Blanka is probably actually my least favourite, but I tried to base the alts on getting a good mix of colours and references to iconic characters, which Blanka was a good choice for both. One reference I'd have liked to get in was M Bison, but I couldn't get it distinctive enough.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personally, I imagine his Final Smash being Shinku Hadoken. [Shrugs] Although, I don't see that being too different from Samus's final smash.
I would prefer a powered Shoryuken (always forget the name), although I don't mind seeing a "Hadoken Zero". The Hadoken is his most iconic move to me.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
So, like I said in the other thread, I think Ryu could be interesting if they gave him a unique mechanic: a "super meter", similar to Mac's KO meter.

This meter operates the same way it does in the Street Fighter 3 and 4 series. As you fill up the bar by attacking and getting attacked, the meter will flash when EX moves are available. Do an EX move by pressing A+B+any direction simultaneously and that move will come out with enhanced properties. Furthermore, when the meter is full, Ryu has access to a super attack, which could be either Metsu Hadouken or Shin Shoryuken. To do the super attack, you need to input it the same way you do in the Street Fighter games, by inputting a quarter-circle motion or dragon punch motion on the analog stick and pressing A+B. These super moves would however be different from his Final Smash, which would be an "ultra combo" or "hypercombo" style Shinkuu Hadouken laser from the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

There's no doubt in my mind that with a super meter mechanic he could be a supremely unique and interesting character addition to Smash.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Smash 4 Ryu Moveset:

Special Attacks:

Ryu has an EX bar incorporated, in the same place as Little Mac's KO bar. This is built up by giving and receiving damage. Ryu can expend portions of the bar on performing an EX version of a special move, which are generally more powerful and have greater utility.

:GCB: Neutral B - Hadouken

Ryu fires the famous projectile from the SF series. If used in mid-air, it fires diagonally downwards, providing a slight boost in momentum in the opposite direction. A reversed aerial Hadouken can be used to cancel some momentum and give Ryu slightly better horizontal survivability.

EX Version: The Hadouken now hits twice, gives higher stun, and can be acted out of much quicker, allowing Ryu to combo it into other attacks.

:GCB::GCU: Up B - Shoryuken

The Rising Dragon Punch from the SF series; Ryu does a leaping punch upwards. This is executed very quickly and is a strong punishing attack.

EX Version: The Shoryuken now reaches higher, and does not leave Ryu helpless, allowing him to use any other move before hitting the ground. The ability to still double jump out of the grounded Shoryuken enables easier followups.

:GCB::GCR: Side B - Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Ryu travels forward whilst performing a circular spinning kick. This can be used for recovery, and does not leave Ryu helpless, travelling at a diagonal angle somewhat shallower than his standard fall. This does not link into itself on the opponent.

EX Version: The kick now captures the opponent, keeping them close and enabling follow-ups at the end. Rapidly tapping the B button in the air causes Ryu to rise upwards.

:GCB::GCD: Down B - Hyakki Gosai

Ryu performs a leap upwards, performing the Hyakki Gosai on the opponent, a command grab where he flips the opponent over his head. This is one of Akuma's moves. If performed in midair, he uses Gouken's version of the move where he punches them downwards, flipping over their head.

Standard Attacks:

:GCA: Jab - Standard Combo

Ryu performs a sequence of his standard moves from Street Fighter.

:GCA: Dash Attack - Senku Goshoha

Ryu glides forward, whilst delivering a strong attack to the midsection. This is a special attack used by his mentor, Gouken.

:GCA::GCU: Up Tilt - Scissor Kick

Ryu brings his leg crashing down from above. This attack has a meteor effect, spiking aerial opponents and bouncing grounded opponents off the ground, who can either be followed up in the air or tech-chased for a grab.

:GCA::GCR: Forward Tilt - Overhead Kick
Ryu performs a kick with good range which can be angled upwards or downwards. This is good for spacing.

:GCA::GCD: Down Tilt - Sweep

Ryu sweeps the ground in front of him, with a chance to trip opponents if he hits.

Aerial Attacks:

:GCA: Neutral Air - Sex Kick

Ryu performs the classic sex kick from the series.

:GCA::GCU: Up Air - Flash Kick

A move borrowed from Guile whereby Ryu performs a spinning kick, hitting the air above him.

:GCA::GCR: Forward Air - Aerial Punch

Ryu delivers a strong punch in mid-air.

:GCA::GCL: Back Air - ???
The way SF works means I cannot actually think of any attacks from the game which attack facing backwards. I would guess Ryu would be given a backwards kick like Mario.

:GCA::GCD: Down Air - Head Press

A move borrowed from M. Bison where Ryu kicks downwards, spiking opponents.

Smash Attacks:

:GCCU: Up Smash - ???
I have no idea. Any takers?

:GCCR: Side Smash - Tiger Knee
Taken from Sagat, this move launches Ryu forward with an extended knee. This is stronger near the start of the move, with only a weak hit near the end.

:GCCD: Down Smash - Focus Attack

Ryu focuses in, gaining Super Armour, before unleashing a powerful attack that stuns the opponent if it hits.

Throws:

:GCA: Pummel - Solar Plexus Strike

Ryu punches his opponent in the stomach.

:GCU: Up Throw - Spinning Piledriver

Ryu jumps upwards with his opponents, bringing them down to the ground whilst spinning. This is in reference to the most famous throw in the Street Fighter series from Zangief, and is a kill throw.

:GCR: Forward Throw - Raikoto Kyaku

This is the forward throw used by Gouken in the SF series, Ryu's mentor. Ryu throws the opponent onto the ground and then does a jumping kick, sending them flying away.

:GCL: Back Throw - Somersault Throw
Ryu rolls backwards, throwing the opponent away.

:GCD: Down Throw - Shoulder (Kara) Throw

This is used by both Ryu and Ken in the games. They slam the opponent into the ground, bouncing them off the floor. This is very similar to the first part of the Forward Throw. This move deals less damage but with the chances of follow-ups at lower percentages.

Any ideas for Back Air / Up Smash? I'm particularly stuck on those two. With this moveset I branched out into other characters movesets a fair bit. The ones from Gouken shouldn't be too out of place as they have the same style. The other moves are perhaps slightly less fitting but the ones I considered best in their respective places.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well I'm pretty hype, I've only ever played MvC3, UMvC3, and SFxT, but in all Ryu is a pretty cool dude! His story is kinda interesting too! His moveset seems almost really obvious, but there are some holes that I'd like to ask y'all to fill in.
So obviously:
:GCU::GCB:Shoryuken
:GCR::GCB:Tatsumaki Senpyukyaku
:GCB:Hadoken
:GCD::GCB:???
:GCCR:His Donkey Kick Thing
:GCCU:EX Shoryuken?
Oh whoops, while I was writing this someone made a huge moveset - so nevermind! But I was ganna get into this:
Do you think they should make Ryu super unique in that some of his moves require original button presses? Like Hadoken needs to be quartercircleback? I don't think so, but for some reason I can't help but think they might do this? Probably not nooo, nevermind to this too... Also the idea of a super bar is interesting, maybe he could only do certain attacks like EX charged stuff when the bar is full enough, but being able to perform supers seems unfair. But being able to use certain strong attacks a certain amount of times under certain conditions would be interesting, but maybe not as unique as Robin already kinda has that mechanic. And Little Mac just a lil bit.

Anyway! E3 sure is ganna be exciting! I kinda hope his trailer goes something like:
Mario and MegaMan are fighting, Mega hits em with a charge shot and Mario is on the ground. He gets up as Luigi joins in to help! They grab Megaman, hit em with some fireballs, toss him back and forth, and then throw him aside. Megaman is busted up a bit and tries to do a charge shot again, but malfunctions, just a puff of smoke comes out. He tries again with his eyes closed as the Mario Bros approach him menacingly. Black screen. HADOKEN! Mario Bros are blasted back, Mega looks at his arm cannon like "Did I do that?" and Edit: Oh, the announcer saying "Here comes a new challenger" must happen! Then Ryu appears with some one liner like... "Ryu ..." hell I dunno. Takes it to the street or whatever.

Gameplay with occasional lines of Ryu confused by opponents like Kirby and Mr. Game & Watch such as "Interesting...new opponent..." and "What have I gotten myself into...?"

Ends with slow-mo shot of Mario Bros doing theyre super jump punch while Ryu and Megaman do their shoryukens all while Final Destination does that pretty transition where it's very white and the characters are totally in shadow basically?

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
I think my all-time favorite version of Ryu's Theme is the Alpha 2 remix:

I LOVE the idea of an SF3-styled super meter that some of the posters here have come up with. Also, love the idea that his debut trailer has Xander shouting "HERE COMESA NEW CHALLENGER!!"

Volcanic Rim from SF4 is a must for music, and I would FREAK OUT if his MVC theme made it in. Maybe we can also get the Project X Zone theme song since that was made by Capcom, SEGA, and Namco.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
I remember Smash Bros. Crusade doing something unique with Ryu:
All his specials were input-dependant. If you input a special normally, you got the regular special, but if you input it like a Smash Attack(Think Samus' super missiles), you get the EX version. Regular Tatsumaki had him travel a short distance, but EX Tatsumaki had him suck people in and kick them around multiple times. I thought that was pretty neat.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
So, like I said in the other thread, I think Ryu could be interesting if they gave him a unique mechanic: a "super meter", similar to Mac's KO meter.

This meter operates the same way it does in the Street Fighter 3 and 4 series. As you fill up the bar by attacking and getting attacked, the meter will flash when EX moves are available. Do an EX move by pressing A+B+any direction simultaneously and that move will come out with enhanced properties. Furthermore, when the meter is full, Ryu has access to a super attack, which could be either Metsu Hadouken or Shin Shoryuken. To do the super attack, you need to input it the same way you do in the Street Fighter games, by inputting a quarter-circle motion or dragon punch motion on the analog stick and pressing A+B. These super moves would however be different from his Final Smash, which would be an "ultra combo" or "hypercombo" style Shinkuu Hadouken laser from the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

There's no doubt in my mind that with a super meter mechanic he could be a supremely unique and interesting character addition to Smash.
Huh, I totally did not think of the super meter. That would definitely make Ryu a more diverse fighter.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Might as well post my song list for Ryu, since I love me some Street Fighter music.

1) Country Select
Origin: Street Fighter (Arcade, 1987)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILplIGbhCgk
Notes: Gotta represent SF1 somehow, and I think the TurboGrafx version of this song is pretty sweet!

2) Mad Gear Hideout - Round 1
Origin: Final Fight/Street Fighter X Tekken (Arcade 1989/PS360 2012)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa8cnUls9Ns
Notes: Originally, Final Fight was to be the sequel to Street Fighter, but then it was turned into a spin-off set in the same universe. As such, MANY Final Fight elements have crossed over into the Street Fighter games. This song is a stage theme from Final Fight, but it was used as Rolento's theme in Street Fighter Alpha 2, and then brought back as the best song in the game for Street Fighter X Tekken. I would love to see it here!

3) Ryu's Theme
Origin: Street Fighter II/Marvel VS Capcom (Arcade, 1991/1998)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sCfsdDjiUs
Notes: This is actually the intro/main theme for Street Fighter II, but for Ryu's appearance in Marvel VS Capcom, it was given this EPIC remix. The song itself is iconic enough on its own, but to get a remixed version of this version would be AWESOME!

4) Ryu's Stage
Origin: Street Fighter II
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FROkkYuTu0o
Notes: Equally as epic as the SF2 opening is Ryu's stage theme, which seems to be already confirmed. Some other great versions of this can be heard in Marvel VS Capcom 3, Tatsunoko VS Capcom (Japanese version only, sadly), and Namco X Capcom.

5) Ken's Stage
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zHA6zuI7yo
Notes: Can't have Ryu without Ken, and this rocking song just happens to be the menu music for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD.

6) Guile's Stage
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlz6qgahnYQ
Notes: At this point, it has to happen.

7) Chun-Li's Stage
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_lEXthGFGE
Notes: The first lady of fighting games is just as famous and iconic as Ryu, so we gotta have her stage theme in here!

8) Cammy's Stage
Origin: Super Street Fighter II
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow20WxUq168
Notes: Cammy is one of my all time favorite Street Fighter characters, and part of that has to do with her awesome stage theme. I highly recommend checking out the SF4 version, as that's my favorite version of the song.

9) Akuma's Theme
Origin: Super Street Fighter II
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbiVO4_fQWM
Notes: Just representing another popular character with their awesome theme song.

10) Sakura's Stage
Origin: Street Fighter Alpha 2
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoj94pkKtqc
Notes: A fun and upbeat song, plus Sakura is Ryu's number-one fan and a popular character in her own right.

11) Main Theme
Origin: Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9wkNnFfGA
Notes: Out of all the games, I felt that Street Fighter III had the most "Street" feeling to its music, and that's represented best by the opening/main theme and the character select theme. I personally think it's an awesome song, and Third Strike should have some representation.

12) The Longshoreman
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3kQ6uibUtg
Notes: Not only is this song awesome, but it represents Sean and Oro, who both have ties to Ryu in the Street Fighter story. Sean being the apprentice of Ken, and Oro eventually taking on Ryu as his pupil.

13) Jazzy NYC
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSzPbO9DFcg
Notes: Another well-known SF3 piece, this also represents Ken and Alex, which are characters who are also tied to Ryu in the story mode. Alex was presented as the main character of SF3, and he also fights Ryu in his ending, plus this is the song for the iconic Daigo moment where he parried Justin Wong's super and won the match.

14) Indestructible
Origin: Street Fighter IV
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKB-6ueD4o
Notes: As corny as it is, (I actually think the lyrics are awesome) the song itself is pretty sweet sounding, so maybe an instrumental version could be worked into the game? This was the opening song for SF4, and it was also remixed into the character select music IIRC (I only played vanilla SF4 once, I'm much more familiar with Super SF4)

15) Volcanic Rim
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiJkA7vrAI
Notes: Essentially the main theme of SF4 (I believe it's a remix), this song is just awesome and would be a blast to fight too!

16) C. Viper's Theme
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI9CnIBY3Js
Notes: Although Abel was supposed to be the main character of 4, C. Viper became the breakout of the SF4 era, and her theme is pretty cool (although I prefer the Marvel VS Capcom 3 version). This song would be sweet to hear.

17) Crumbling Laboraty - Round 2
Origin: Super Street Fighter IV
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JzrpWqPmc
Notes: Just an awesome final area song, and would be great to fight to.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I personally wouldn't pick ANY music from Street Fighter 4. That game's whole soundtrack was garbage with the exception of the remixed tracks which weren't originally composed by the same person anyways.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641

Ryu should have a hidden fifth special that fires off a powerful hadoken. The quarter circle special. :troll:
Both of these sound like good compromises. I totally forgot about wiimotes by themselves but ryu just wouldn't seem right without quarter circle motions.

Let me stop you right there. Why?

Two characters owned by Capcom are (for the sake of argument) getting in. One is representing Mega Man. The other is representing Street Fighter. The two are there on their own merits as characters and as franchises. Both being in is absolutely irrelevant to Namco/Sega. If Konami owned Street Fighter, no-one would be saying this. Why you seem so intent on viewing a 3rd party character in terms of its owner company rather than its own merits as a character and franchise absolutely baffles me.

If we were getting a 2nd character from a franchise then I could understand to some extent. If we got Knuckles as a character, then that seems to open up the gates for a 2nd Mega Man character etc. But as it is, we are looking at getting a brand new franchise represented. Moreover, I don't think it can really be argued that the franchise wouldn't get in on its own merits were it not a Capcom company.
I actually agree with you to some extent. Franchise does matter over company and Capcom has been extremely influential in the Nintendosphere with both mega man and street fighter (and disney games but I'm not going near that one lol). Meanwhile on the sega side, what franchise besides sonic has actually been influential on a Nintendo console? Unless they can make crazy taxi into a playable, I'm content with mii costumes of knuckles and vector the crocodile. I'm fine with only one sega rep and two capcom reps because of the importance of their franchises to the Nintendo brand.

But I will always stick up for namco and say that out of all third parties they should get the most representation, simply because they played such an integral part in smash 4's development Also, namco has been an advocate for Nintendo consoles since the beginning so they don't have to dig up someone completely obscure.

EDIT: from both this board and Sakurai himself with the mega upper I have seen mention of the marvel vs capcom series. Is that fair game? Can we PLEASE get the character select music from mvc2 on the main menu? It's so iconic lol

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
It is already a given that he will have combo strings the thing is- is that what will happen to him to balance this and I can some what see him become a top pick for competitive play

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Well, I tried! I'm not an artist or anything; but the occasion was asking for this!

Just imagine Xander saying: "THIS IS SUPER SMASH BROS.! YOU NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN WHOLE WORLD!". =P

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Both of these sound like good compromises. I totally forgot about wiimotes by themselves but ryu just wouldn't seem right without quarter circle motions.

I actually agree with you to some extent. Franchise does matter over company and Capcom has been extremely influential in the Nintendosphere with both mega man and street fighter (and disney games but I'm not going near that one lol). Meanwhile on the sega side, what franchise besides sonic has actually been influential on a Nintendo console? Unless they can make crazy taxi into a playable, I'm content with mii costumes of knuckles and vector the crocodile. I'm fine with only one sega rep and two capcom reps because of the importance of their franchises to the Nintendo brand.

But I will always stick up for namco and say that out of all third parties they should get the most representation, simply because they played such an integral part in smash 4's development Also, namco has been an advocate for Nintendo consoles since the beginning so they don't have to dig up someone completely obscure.
But what character does Namco have that you'd suggest? I'd be perfectly willing to have another character from them but I don't think it should be because they are/aren't Namco.

It is already a given that he will have combo strings the thing is- is that what will happen to him to balance this and I can some what see him become a top pick for competitive play
Balance it? Lack of reliable kill moves outside of a very punishable Shoryuken, decent but not stellar speed and these combos being reliant on a Super Meter to execute would all do a good job of balancing.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ryu's customs would have to be Ken's and Akuma's moves, ala Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (assuming we eventually even get customs for DLC characters).

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
But what character does Namco have that you'd suggest? I'd be perfectly willing to have another character from them but I don't think it should be because they are/aren't Namco.

Balance it? Lack of reliable kill moves outside of a very punishable Shoryuken, decent but not stellar speed and these combos being reliant on a Super Meter to execute would all do a good job of balancing.
true true that would change the game play up a bit I can some what see it happening and I realized this would draw in Street Fighter fans to play smash if they are already aren't.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
In case the supporter list is still being updated, would you be okay with adding me onto it? I actually wanted Ryu to be in Smash Bros when I was kid, but a few years later, I learned Sakurai didn't want to put characters from fighting games into Smash Bros, so my hopes for his inclusion died down over the years.

Now, with the recent Smash Bros 3DS sound files leak, my interest in seeing Ryu appear in the Smash Bros has been revived. There is just so much potential with what they can do with his moveset since it's already there. I even have a reveal trailer idea in my mind already, and I'll post it sometime in the future (hopefully soon if I can find a way around my soon-to-end college work load with my semester ending in two weeks).

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace

Soulcalibur is the iconic fighting weapons game, cept it doesn't have more than a single Nintendo entry(and it skipped porting the remake even :( ), and it has a couple iconic female fighters like Talia or Sophita
I've always been a fan of DigDug, Namco VS Capcom style, because he has classic appeal, combined with a rather cool modern design, even if smash tends to stick with classic

This is one of the few arcade character updates I like

Then there is a third character, one that from what I hear is popular in the Capcom fanbase, was in a number of games(but only one on Nintendo), however this character was made by Monolith Soft, giving it a special edge due to an association with a Nintendo studio, and that's KOS-MOS

There is some other alternatives, but these stick out

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Soulcalibur is the iconic fighting weapons game, cept it doesn't have more than a single Nintendo entry(and it skipped porting the remake even :( ), and it has a couple iconic female fighters like Talia or Sophita
I've always been a fan of DigDug, Namco VS Capcom style, because he has classic appeal, combined with a rather cool modern design, even if smash tends to stick with classic

Then there is a third character, one that from what I hear is popular in the Capcom fanbase, was in a number of games(but only one on Nintendo), however this character was made by Monolith Soft, giving it a special edge due to an association with a Nintendo studio, and that's KOS-MOS

I have played the Soul Calibur series, but the only character I can name from them is Voldo, because I always found him hilarious. I don't think they have any characters in the game who are particularly iconic though. I don't think this is exclusive but more a general case for the fighting game franchise. After the obvious Street Fighter characters, the next most iconic fighting game character I can think of is probably Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

I have no idea who the other characters/games are.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I have played the Soul Calibur series, but the only character I can name from them is Voldo, because I always found him hilarious. I don't think they have any characters in the game who are particularly iconic though. I don't think this is exclusive but more a general case for the fighting game franchise. After the obvious Street Fighter characters, the next most iconic fighting game character I can think of is probably Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

I have no idea who the other characters/games are.
You've never heard of Digdug?

The arcade classic? Its still around, its had a number of handheld and mobile games and some older console games
The main guy is apparently called Taizo Hori in Japan nowadays, and this is his official modern look, and it'd fit into smash pretty well, while still being his classic look very much
(Still kinda prefer the NVSC look though

EDIT: Small correction, series goes by Mr Driller nowadays

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
I'm up for this track.

Third-parties are chosen from their potential moveset and how popular they are. They only need one game on a platform owned by Nintendo which is why characters like Bomberman and Shantae aren't in it while others like Rayman and Commander Video are only trophies. The Soul series has two entries so characters from those games could show up if they were "iconic" but anyway this is the Ryu topic so let's talk about him and everything related to him like Assist Trophy, Trophies, Stage, Music, moves, taunts, etc.

Guile's theme for Smash!

Ascended

Smash Ace
I personally wouldn't pick ANY music from Street Fighter 4. That game's whole soundtrack was garbage with the exception of the remixed tracks which weren't originally composed by the same person anyways.

(I just thought the picture would be a funny reply, I ain't really upset.)

For another Namco character, Mr. Driller (Dig Dug) would be a good pick, but what about someone from the Tales RPG series? It did start on the Super Famicom with Tales of Phantasia (which eventually got ported to the GBA), and then there was Symphonia on the GameCube which was a big game and I know Lloyd has a large following. There was also installments on the DS and Wii.

As for SoulCalibur, there was Legends on the Wii in addition to the GameCube port of 2, and I would say that the most iconic/mascot character of SoulCalibur is Nightmare.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Namco Characters that aren't from Pac-man
Lloyd Irving
Yoshimitsu (Tekken AND Soul, plus Asian sword)
Xiaoyu/Panda
Jin Kazama
Nina Williams
Klonoa
Dig dug
Mr. Driller
NIghtmare

This is what I could think of on the spot

Khao

Smash Lord
Sakuari would not expect casual players to do a shoryuken motion. This would be a cool optional feature though!
In Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Quarter Circle > B instantly throws a Hadoken.

I know that Sakurai no longer works on Kirby, but I'd say that if a specific input is simple enough for Kirby, it's simple enough for Smash.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
After Mewtwo + 7 there are 5 additional “Mario”s listed. This means, that there are 5 additional unused characters in the fighter table in the latest update. Right now, we know for sure that Lucas is coming. After Lucas, it is heavily suggested that Roy (Fire Emblem) and Ryu (Street Fighter) will be incoming as DLC. Therefore, we have two additional slots for DLC. Whether the two slots will be used for the ballot results, or for pre-ballot result DLC is unknown. Stay tuned for additional information.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/all-about-ryu-and-roys-files/
What if those 2 are a Sega and Namco reps? Capcom has 2 if Ryu turns to be real they should give sega and namco another one

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
What if those 2 are a Sega and Namco reps? Capcom has 2 if Ryu turns to be real they should give sega and namco another one
An argument I've heard that I agree with is that additional third party characters should be on their own merits, not simply given away. So ya if you have someone on the level of Pac-Man, Megs, Sonic, and Ryu, suggest away. Though past popularity and a strong presence on Nintendo is a decent argument

Personally if we could pick regardless of conditions, I would say Goemon(6 Nintendo exclusive games, is currently inert, but would be perfect for a revival on Nintendo systems; Konami), Bomberman(don't need to go into detail on this one, Konami(Hudson)), Marina(not nessecarily the most iconic character of all time, but a sweet N64 exclusive and cool design... too bad it looks like Square Enix own her despite being developed by Treasure)

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
An argument I've heard that I agree with is that additional third party characters should be on their own merits, not simply given away. So ya if you have someone on the level of Pac-Man, Megs, Sonic, and Ryu, suggest away. Though past popularity and a strong presence on Nintendo is a decent argument

Personally if we could pick regardless of conditions, I would say Goemon(6 Nintendo exclusive games, is currently inert, but would be perfect for a revival on Nintendo systems; Konami), Bomberman(don't need to go into detail on this one, Konami(Hudson)), Marina(not nessecarily the most iconic character of all time, but a sweet N64 exclusive and cool design... too bad it looks like Square Enix own her despite being developed by Treasure)
Goemon is a digimon? I cant think of a namco rep, everyone mentions Lloyd but nah he looks weird

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Goemon is a digimon? I cant think of a namco rep, everyone mentions Lloyd but nah he looks weird
No, this is Goemon

He hails from the Mystical Ninja/Goemon series, of which there were 3 SNES games(only 1 got a western release, currently is on VC), 1 Gameboy game(currently on VC), and 2 N64 games(both released in the west)... not sure of anything else outside of that

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Companies should probably not matter. If Snake, Bmberman and Simon Belmont got in it's not 3 Konami reps its a Metal Gear rep, a Bomberman rep and a Castlevania rep. All of which are iconic. Ryu is from Capcom yes but he got in because of how iconic he is to gaming. Not to do Capcom a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom