• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[GUIDE] Connecting to Brawl/PM Wifi post-WFC shutdown: Occasional server issues are temporary

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
My friend and I have the desyching problem on some stages. This is caused by custom textures so we just avoid playing specific stages/picking specific characters. Maybe try removing your custom textures, they may be interfering with the game.
I dont have any stage textures, and in PM i use default Mewtwo/black Marth/green MK wtih no textures online.

TurboPikachu

Wall of Pain
NNID
HyperChu
3DS FC
3394-3547-7986
I got the wiimmfi patch for Gecko back when it was first posted... What changes were made in later versions of wiimmfi? (being that it's v2.1 right now)
I'd also like to know if there was ever a solution to Gecko not being able to use both the wiimmfi patch and the Phantom Wings music hack simultaneously.
I'm using Wii U vWii, thus meaning Riivolution is completely unusable, and Gecko is currently my only option.

Last edited:

Thriles

Smash Rookie
Has anyone had luck patching a WIFI safe PM ISO, and patching it with Wiimmfi?

I've used it before and played online, though the game disconnected a few times, but I'm not sure if that's a problem with our connection, as my opponent was on the other side of the world, or if it was a desync.

I just want to use the ISO as, I already have the fullset installed on homebrew, with TKbreezy's tournament settings and a music pack as well, and having to take out my sd card and swap all the files over is a huge hassle, compared to just loading a seperate ISO.

I don't really have any friends or anything I could currently test this with, so I'm just wondering if anybody already knows the answer.

Edit: I think my original ISO I made might have had a few problems with it, but the question still stands, if this is a viable option I can use or if I'll have to change files on my SD card every time. Also for anyone testing, I believe you need to take out your SD card when loading the ISO, or else it will try to read from the files on your SD card, essentially giving you your normal PM.

Last edited:

Zivhayr

Smash Rookie
I've managed to connect through wiimmfi, but With Anyone matchmaking doesn't work. Sit there hitting sandbag and no one joins. I assume this is because I haven't changed the DNS settings on my Wii.

When I try to change the DNS settings, the connection test fails and won't let me use that connection.

EpicPowered

Smash Cadet
I've managed to connect through wiimmfi, but With Anyone matchmaking doesn't work. Sit there hitting sandbag and no one joins. I assume this is because I haven't changed the DNS settings on my Wii.

When I try to change the DNS settings, the connection test fails and won't let me use that connection.
I think With Anyone matches just aren't popular. I remember trying to join some one night and it took a while to find someone and every time, it was the same the same person.

Zivhayr

Smash Rookie
I think With Anyone matches just aren't popular. I remember trying to join some one night and it took a while to find someone and every time, it was the same the same person.
That's what I assumed at first, but googling seemed to suggest it was DNS related. Did you play without the custom DNS?

I'm using PAL, can you only find people using the same version as you?

Last edited:

SteR ThA KiiD

Smash Cadet
NNID
SteRxThAxKiiD
quick important question. how do I play project m online if I need a sd card for both of these?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
quick important question. how do I play project m online if I need a sd card for both of these?
If you only have one SD card, then you'll either need to get a separate one or use a single SD card by switching the root files whenever you want to play one or the other. I have quite a few friends that went with the latter method.

Edit: Oh wait, I think I misinterpreted your question. You mean an SD card for the Wiimmfi patcher and an SD card for P:M? There are hackless and Homebrew methods available for that. The gct for either is patched already, so you don't have to run the Wiimmfi patcher to play P:M on the servers.

Last edited:

okboy

"The Okayest"
NNID
syntheticweenie
3DS FC
1418-8005-4521
A friend and I want to see if there's a way we can improve our connection/reduce lag for our PM matches and I was thinking of switching to a LAN adapter but now I'm looking and it seems like I should avoid this? I know in the OP it says that people have been getting accidentally permabanned for switching from LAN to wireless (or switching adapters) and I want to switch from wireless to LAN so I'm not sure if that's okay or if I should just play it safe and avoid using it altogether?

Last edited:

EpicPowered

Smash Cadet
That's what I assumed at first, but googling seemed to suggest it was DNS related. Did you play without the custom DNS?

I'm using PAL, can you only find people using the same version as you?
I played without the custom DNS. All my friends are from the U.S. as am I and I don't know who the random person I found was so I can't answer your second question.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
As of right now that problem which leaves you in "Joining the match..." status forever is back. Do they have problems with their servers again?

EpicPowered

Smash Cadet
As of right now that problem which leaves you in "Joining the match..." status forever is back. Do they have problems with their servers again?
The server's working fine for me... Sometimes I get a weird error that starts with an 8 when I try to join a room but it's easily fixed by reconnecting.

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
anyone help?
ive got a pal wii and im loading an ntsc version of the game through usb loader gx with ocarina on.
I've gone to the 'project m + wimmfi autolauncher' link.
I already have homebrew so step 1 is all ok.
the problem is when i get to step 2 it directs me to a forum post. i downloaded the 'wiimmfi-patcher-v3.7z'
however now the problem is its telling me to follow a set of instructions for my operating system: Mac

it says:

'1.) Copy all original images into the directory of your operating system.

2.) Enter the directory of your operating system.

3.) Linux and Mac only: Execute: chmod a+x *.sh

4.) Start batch file 'patch-wiimmfi.bat' or 'patch-wiimmfi.sh'.

5.) All new patched images resist in the new sub-directory 'wiimmfi-images/'
relative to the main directory. Existing files will not overwritten.'

What does this mean and how do i execute this? Do i need to have my usb with the ntsc brawl iso plugged into my computer?
Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

GarrisLee

Smash Cadet
Sorry to bother but how can i play online if all i have is 1 SD Card with an iso that has project M built into it

@NaG4

Smash Rookie
Sorry to bother but how can i play online if all i have is 1 SD Card with an iso that has project M built into it
Thats the problem i'm struggling with. My SD-card is 2GB I can't fit a ISO in there. Is the ISO supposed to be on the USB?

GarrisLee

Smash Cadet
Thats the problem i'm struggling with. My SD-card is 2GB I can't fit a ISO in there. Is the ISO supposed to be on the USB?
Well my SD Card is 16GB I just need to know how to get online. but if you have a usb large enough you should put the iso on there but patch it using the instructions from the first page under this section: Brawl (Homebrew + USBLoader):

Last edited:

@NaG4

Smash Rookie
Well my SD Card is 16GB I just need to know how to get online. but if you have a usb large enough you should put the iso on there but patch it using the instructions from the first page under this section: Brawl (Homebrew + USBLoader):
Yeah but it kinda confuses me. First it says I Should put the patched image into the USB. And the next step tells me;

"
  1. If you haven't done so already, create a folder in the root of your SD called "wbfs" and inside it create another folder that has "[RSBE]" in it somewhere (or [RSBP], [RSBK], [RSBJ], depending on your disc). (you can call it [RSBE] Brawl, whatever you want, just have that ID in there). Put your patched ISO in that folder "
So I should just skip this step?

GarrisLee

Smash Cadet
Yeah but it kinda confuses me. First it says I Should put the patched image into the USB. And the next step tells me;

"
  1. If you haven't done so already, create a folder in the root of your SD called "wbfs" and inside it create another folder that has "[RSBE]" in it somewhere (or [RSBP], [RSBK], [RSBJ], depending on your disc). (you can call it [RSBE] Brawl, whatever you want, just have that ID in there). Put your patched ISO in that folder "
So I should just skip this step?
Okay you got me there i'm confused too now. I don't think that's a step you can skip but i'm really stumped here sorry i couldn't help you i guess you should wait for someone more qualified to answer your question once again sorry bro but i'm gonna try that usb loader method though to see if i can get it to work with my sd card.

@NaG4

Smash Rookie
Okay you got me there i'm confused too now. I don't think that's a step you can skip but i'm really stumped here sorry i couldn't help you i guess you should wait for someone more qualified to answer your question once again sorry bro but i'm gonna try that usb loader method though to see if i can get it to work with my sd card.
Alright dude, good luck. Maybe we'll see eachother on the matchmaking when both of our setups work :D.

SteR ThA KiiD

Smash Cadet
NNID
SteRxThAxKiiD
If you only have one SD card, then you'll either need to get a separate one or use a single SD card by switching the root files whenever you want to play one or the other. I have quite a few friends that went with the latter method.

Edit: Oh wait, I think I misinterpreted your question. You mean an SD card for the Wiimmfi patcher and an SD card for P:M? There are hackless and Homebrew methods available for that. The gct for either is patched already, so you don't have to run the Wiimmfi patcher to play P:M on the servers.
i have the rar file for the hackless method but im not sure what to do with it. think you can help me out? i think i figured it out but im not sure.

also does your brawl friend code work with project M??

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
i have the rar file for the hackless method but im not sure what to do with it. think you can help me out? i think i figured it out but im not sure.

also does your brawl friend code work with project M??
What storage size is your SD card, exactly? Only SD cards of 2 GB or less work with the hackless method. You should only have to copy the files in the rar and paste them onto the root of your SD card.

Yes, your FC is the same for both P:M and Brawl if you play them both on the same Wii. If you already have an FC granted by or reserved on the new servers, it'll stay the same once you log onto them from P:M.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I tried joining a Project M match with @I'm Smashty and @ Rags Rags , but I kept on getting 80430. I followed the instructions, step 1.5 included, and Basic worked on vanilla Brawl. I'm using RSBE, by the way, and I'm sure I used the hackless Project M pack inked in this thread. Am I doing anything wrong?

EDIT: nvm it must be the server

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
I tried joining a Project M match with @I'm Smashty and @ Rags Rags , but I kept on getting 80430. I followed the instructions, step 1.5 included, and Basic worked on vanilla Brawl. I'm using RSBE, by the way, and I'm sure I used the hackless Project M pack inked in this thread. Am I doing anything wrong?

EDIT: nvm it must be the server
Okay, my buddy had that same proble, what you may hve to do is port transfer your wii to get it to work, since we tried everything and he just about gave up on it. It's work, but it's worth it. Here's a guide:

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-wii.htm

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Project M (Hackless):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3da0fvmf1849trd/Project M Wifi Hackless.rar | (Mirror)

Special thanks to Rood! You can use this the same way you use the hackless Brawl launcher.
Whats the difference between this and the regular hackless Wifi version?

Basically I want to play Project M online from a USB Loader (to be exact I use cfg USB Loader) but it's never let me use file replacement hacks if I'm using an SD card larger thn 2GB. This special version of PM works fine for me but I would prefer if I only had to have one copy of PM on my SD card

Last edited:

SteR ThA KiiD

Smash Cadet
NNID
SteRxThAxKiiD
just wondering, I have the project M Patt Edition and I would love to play that online. any ideas on how that would work?

Swswan

Smash Journeyman
just wondering, I have the project M Patt Edition and I would love to play that online. any ideas on how that would work?
it would only let you connect with other people who have the patt edition - but the iso would probably crash cause u have to patch it for the wiimmfi servers

SteR ThA KiiD

Smash Cadet
NNID
SteRxThAxKiiD
it would only let you connect with other people who have the patt edition - but the iso would probably crash cause u have to patch it for the wiimmfi servers
how would I be able to stop it from crashing? the patt edition would be fun to play online so I wanted to see if it will work. Im pretty sure a lot of people are wondering the samething I am and would like to play the patt edition online as well if they could

SteR ThA KiiD

Smash Cadet
NNID
SteRxThAxKiiD
Anyone want to play brawl online? copy my friend code in my signature and reply with your friend code

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
I don't know what i did wrong

I followed the instructions and I keep getting the Error code 20110

Someone please help

Btw I used Hackless Riivolution and my region is PAL

Last edited:

Sergiopatroll

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to do this hackless, so do I need to have Gecko or Riivolution on the SD card at the same time as Project M?

SD Grandmaster Hero

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone specify how exactly you can connect to the servers if your current FC wasn't registered before May 18th? I had registered my previous FC before the deadline, but since then I have had to format my Wii, leaving me with a new FC. Is there any possible way for me to get on wifi now?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to do this hackless, so do I need to have Gecko or Riivolution on the SD card at the same time as Project M?
Delete everything off your sd card (or move it). Then download the alternate wifi onto your SD card (after unzipping and stuff) and insert into wii and load like normal.

Can anyone specify how exactly you can connect to the servers if your current FC wasn't registered before May 18th? I had registered my previous FC before the deadline, but since then I have had to format my Wii, leaving me with a new FC. Is there any possible way for me to get on wifi now?
You just go online like normal, assuming you have the alternate wifi downloaded onto the sd card.

Edit - Your old FC is pretty much useless now. The new one that pops up when you get online is the one that matters.

Last edited:

Twhy

Smash Rookie
So is it really just as easy as downloading the pm link from the op onto an empty sd card? All i have to do is download then plug it into my wii and play wifi?

Top Bottom