• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[GUIDE] Connecting to Brawl/PM Wifi post-WFC shutdown: Occasional server issues are temporary

Player -0

Smash Hero
just got it up in running, had to use winrar to extract files but it was really simple.
Nice, glad you got it working. Also if you're in SC (that's what it says in your location), check out the SC thread under regional zones. SC5 is this Saturday.

Last edited:

Twhy

Smash Rookie
I'll be there! I was at tigersmash not to long ago but i don't think i played you. I'm relatively new to the scene, but i'm amped about having people to actually play!

SD Grandmaster Hero

Smash Apprentice
Delete everything off your sd card (or move it). Then download the alternate wifi onto your SD card (after unzipping and stuff) and insert into wii and load like normal.

You just go online like normal, assuming you have the alternate wifi downloaded onto the sd card.

Edit - Your old FC is pretty much useless now. The new one that pops up when you get online is the one that matters.
Thanks! I had figured it out a while ago. Got kinda scared lol

red skull fire

Smash Cadet
how come when ever i get a gecko bootelf my controller always blinks and i cant do anything?

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hi guys, my computer broke a while ago and I haven't been able to do much other than ****post in the 64 boards from my phone

Once it's repaired (very soon) I will be making major updates to this thread and returning to brawl wifi and troubleshooting

let's play some BRAWL

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
My friend keeps on saying it keeps crashing at stage select for him (and he's using the Hackless Gecko one). Any idea why?

I don't think it would make sense if it were the .bin file in the st folder, cause isn't that what is necessary to boot up wiimifi that way? o.o

DOGE_WOW

Smash Apprentice
I used to be able to play online using the disc hackless method. But my wii can't read discs anymore, so now im gonna use configurable usb loader. So am i gonna have to download the iso wiimmfi patcher? or am i gonna be able to play without downloading the patcher?

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
I keep getting error code 86420, any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I keep getting error code 86420, any advice?
When do you get it? When you try joining other people's rooms or when you try playing Basic Brawl? It was fairly common when trying to play Basic Brawl, at least for me. Otherwise, it likely has something to do with your connection if you're getting it whenever you try to join someone (I'm assuming you've tried connecting with more than one person).

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
When do you get it? When you try joining other people's rooms or when you try playing Basic Brawl? It was fairly common when trying to play Basic Brawl, at least for me. Otherwise, it likely has something to do with your connection if you're getting it whenever you try to join someone (I'm assuming you've tried connecting with more than one person).
Ive only gotten it on the same person, neither of us can join each others lobby.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Ive only gotten it on the same person, neither of us can join each others lobby.
If it's just one person then you don't have anything to worry about besides being unable to play that person on Brawl wifi. You just can't connect to each other, it's probably one of your connections causing trouble, but you won't know for sure whose it is until you try connecting to someone else.

UltimaNylocke

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ULTI#211
NNID
UltimaNylocke
One thing that bothers me is
Error code 23915 "Banned: Abuse using of a console identifier" - This happens when you have used a Wii LAN adapter, and either switched to wireless, or changed LAN adapters. This is NOT intentional and the server devs need to fix it.

I am planning on using a Wii LAN Adapter but what if something happens and then we get the error code. Is there any way to bypass it or something? Like can I get a new save file for Brawl and redownload the server patch? Or even format the wii? Or am I completely f*cked?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
One thing that bothers me is
Error code 23915 "Banned: Abuse using of a console identifier" - This happens when you have used a Wii LAN adapter, and either switched to wireless, or changed LAN adapters. This is NOT intentional and the server devs need to fix it.

I am planning on using a Wii LAN Adapter but what if something happens and then we get the error code. Is there any way to bypass it or something? Like can I get a new save file for Brawl and redownload the server patch? Or even format the wii? Or am I completely f*cked?
Going entirely under the assumption that you'd only get the error code under the conditions that were mentioned, I don't think using an LAN adapter will give you the error code unless you were using a different LAN adapter before the one you're planning to use. But that's just my guess.

UltimaNylocke

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ULTI#211
NNID
UltimaNylocke
But what if I didn't know the LAN Adapter wasn't connected and then I went online and get banned? Like accidents happen. My friend is banned and I'm also trying to help him out :/

Tockdom

Smash Rookie
Like I said before. The stuff about the Lan Adapter on the first page is WRONG. The Wii always sends the Mac Address of the WLAN Module to the server so you can use 1337 different Lan Adapters if you want to on the server.

UltimaNylocke

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ULTI#211
NNID
UltimaNylocke
Well my friend used a LAN, then didn't use it, then got banned (with the same error code) so something seems wrong.

EpicPowered

Smash Cadet
The required Gecko code is included in the PM 3.5 GCT, so the Wifi-safe version should just work out of the box, no further modifications needed.
Yeah i just figured that out. I couldn't find it in the patch notes though, if you could show me that'd be nice. Thank you!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Well my friend used a LAN, then didn't use it, then got banned (with the same error code) so something seems wrong.
@ T Tockdom so is it wrong or not, nylocke isn't the only person who has been having this error, diddy knowso f a few people who got it too

please stop saying it's wrong when this keeps happening

UltimaNylocke

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ULTI#211
NNID
UltimaNylocke
I'm just wondering if there's a way to bypass it as of now. I want to play P:M with my friend.

krains123

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5009-5096-0812
I keep getting a 80430 error when I connect to a friend.Anyone know what the issue is?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
80430 is usually to do with your, or your friend's, router's firewall blocking connections, or due to high traffic in the area (too many things trying to connect at once). Check this page for more info.

eN-t

Smash Rookie
@ T Tockdom so is it wrong or not, nylocke isn't the only person who has been having this error, diddy knowso f a few people who got it too

please stop saying it's wrong when this keeps happening
Tockdom is right.

I am eN-t, I'm also from the WHB boards and in very close contact with Wiimm. I am one of the members who were part of his testing team long before the server was public and now I'm also one of the banning moderators, although that's mainly for Mario Kart Wii.
However, because of this, Tockdom and I know very well how the server and the banning system works. Also we know that many players get banned "innocent" and this was an issue - let me explain this.

Error code 23915 is a completely automatic ban that can NOT be triggered by a ban moderator manually. This automatic system keeps track of your Wii's MAC address every time you connect to Wiimmfi.
As Tockdom already said, the Wii always sends the Wi-Fi adapter's MAC address to the server, but NEVER the LAN adapter's MAC address. Wiimm knows this and has tested this very, very much as he owns more than one Wii and also a Wii U himself and switches between them regurlarly, also between LAN adapter and Wi-Fi, always using the same save file (and thus friendcode). I do the same, I own three Wiis (living room, computer, travel) and a Wii U, all using the same save file (transferred with SaveGame Manager GX).
So Wiimm knows that there are very possible cases in which people use more than one MAC address with the same savefile, which is when you own more than one Wii, or had to replace a broken Wi-Fi module, or own a Wii U, or use Dolphin (although Dolphin is not really meant to be used for online play on Wiimmfi, atleast for Mario Kart Wii, as it often comes along with lag/timer issues).
And of course, as a conclusion, the system keeps track of how many different MAC addresses you used, but not how often you switch between them. If it would do so, Wiimm would have banned himself and his own team after just days. That wouldn't make any sense.

So how do people end up getting 23915 then?
In the WHB boards, we figured out that (especially for Mario Kart Wii) there are lots of game ISOs and modifications (such as Riivolution packs) on the internet that contain a MAC changer hack. This hack was commonly used in the days of the old Nintendo Wi-Fi connection because it prevented you from being banned. Nintendo's WFC only banned the MAC, as soon as you changed that you were unbanned. So these MAC changer hacks generate a random MAC every time you connect to the servers. Even the famous CTGP-R had such a code implemented until version 1.02 I think - but don't quote me on that.
Many of the people who ended up getting 23915 really did use such a hack without knowing it. Some creators of Riivolution MKW hacks admitted that they had such a code in their distributions and apologized for that.

Now I don't know if such a MAC changer hack is also available for Smash games. Also I don't know if there are possibly any Smash ISOs or modifications on the internet which include such a hack - again, many MKW ISOs and mods did not say so anywhere, it just came long because the creators thought it'd be a good bonus, as it did not do any harm on the original Nintendo WFC. But it's either that or that the Smashers who get 23915 have also played Mario Kart Wii, maybe without knowing that they used such a hack.

Believe me, you're not the first ones being banned because of this hack without even knowing that you used it.
However, in late summer, Wiimm has reset all 23915 bans because of all the innocents who just used such Mario Kart Wii hacks without knowing. That was after the creators of these Riivolution mods admitted that the code was in there and they removed them from their packs.

So Tockdom is completely right in what he says and I hope my explanation brought some light into the dark.
The statement on page 1 is just wrong, LAN adapters have nothing to do with 23915. The only reason for 23915 is using a huge (!) number of different (!) MAC addresses. You can switch between your several consoles and LAN adapters as you please and it won't get you banned, that's 100% sure. I do that myself. The whole Wiimmfi team uses multiple Wiis, a Wii U, and even Dolphin for testing purpose. The only possibility to break the limit is in fact by using a MAC changer hack, whether you did it intentionally or not.

One last sentence on that:
Wiimm is very serious about not banning innocents which is why he only puts people into the banning moderation team which he fully trusts as a result of knowing these people for years. We have clear and strict rules on who to ban and for how long. Also, he reset all 23915 bans after he found out there was a minor flaw in the system back in late summer - after it was already known that many people got banned innocent because of the beforementioned MKW Riivolution mods and ISOs. However, the system got updated and since the beforementioned Riivolution hacks all got updated, too, and do not contain MAC changer hacks anymore (and also, it were just a handful, so it wasn't as common as it might seem), and that as long as you play with your own legal game copy or create an ISO out of that disc instead of downloading one, there is almost no chance anymore to get banned without it being your fault.

You as the player should make sure you use a legal game copy and also don't use any outdated, unknown game modifications that come with "main.dol" files. Then you'll be 100% safe.

EDIT:
Also, what I forgot to mention: do NOT share your savegame with your friendcode on the internet. The same goes for your NAND. Sharing such data in public is dangerous and _could_ potentially get you banned.

Last edited:

eN-t

Smash Rookie
Just one more thing: a few weeks ago, Wiimm changed error code 23915 from being permanent to only lasting 42 days. This will probably be changed to only 2 weeks now upon first strike. The ban duration increases every time you appear to be using a MAC changer again, these durations are not yet fixed though.

So for anyone who got EC 23915 in the past, you might be unbanned by now or in the near future. Make sure that your ISO is clean and that you do not use a MAC changer hack in ANY OF YOUR WIIMMFI GAMES. However, feel free to switch between LAN and WLAN and also different consoles in case you use more than one as this will definitely not trigger a ban.

Merry Christmas and happy smashing :)

korsaturn

Smash Rookie
what should i do if the ocarina code and patchers are not working with korean version of brawl?
I have used usb loader gx/gecko code to patch my game ,but it is still trying to connect to nintendo official server.
is there any other solutions for this?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I keep getting the PM exception error. Running 3.5 with v1.11 of the launcher. Once my launcher connects to the internet it crashes. Running hackless on an og wii, couldn't find anything by googling or scouring /r/ssbpm

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to help out with my friend's problem but I'm not sure myself on what to do. The problem she's having is that she can't connect at all to the online of PM/Brawl but when she goes to the wii settings, it says it connects with the test connection being successful. Any solutions?

Top Bottom