• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
You can play the game extremely well but not understand the game. You can have good mechanics but zero clue on what you should be doing when it comes to winning the game.
You can understand the game extremely well but be bad at it. This is true for any competitive game/sport that requires dexterity.

There are different kinds of bad. If you're a low level player you're at least one of them, but by no means all of them.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Guys stop you're confusing poor espy lol.

He doesn't understand that people can lack an objective oriented mindset while still being mechanically good.

I have this kind of people in my friend list, that the people I invite when I want to ARAM.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
to be honest, i just have no idea what is going on in bronze games. half the people don't know what their champion or other champions do, a lot buy bizarre items, there is zero map awareness and nobody understands the aim of the match (destroy the nexus).

the games can be fun for the same reason though :)

Edit- Also what Shaya said. I only get annoyed at being camped if I'm the only lane winning. But yeah, I don't know how to capitalise on my leads except for the classic group mid Strat.
another option is to force the jungler (and eventually mid) to live in your lane, effectively making the rest of the map a 4v3 situation. if you continue farming well and they cannot kill you, you are making a positive impact for your team.

this is how i typically play all my top lane games (teemo, quinn, kennen).

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
to be honest, i just have no idea what is going on in bronze games. half the people don't know what their champion or other champions do, a lot buy bizarre items, there is zero map awareness and nobody understands the aim of the match (destroy the nexus).

the games can be fun for the same reason though :)

another option is to force the jungler (and eventually mid) to live in your lane, effectively making the rest of the map a 4v3 situation. if you continue farming well and they cannot kill you, you are making a positive impact for your team.

this is how i typically play all my top lane games (teemo, quinn, kennen).
I want my jungler to camp my lane to force 2v2s (which we'd normally win because I'm usually ahead and I'm Rumble, who is good 2v2). Thing is most junglers at low elo don't lane gank, or understand that if your lane is pushed you can just sit in the bush and countergank the enemy's inevitable gank.

I used to main jungle but I stopped because I don't know how to carry games when all my lanes are losing. I also don't know how to carry those games when your laners don't react to that enemy Lee Sin invading your jungle.

Recently my duo partner has gone jungle to help rectify my issues of getting camped in lane, but everytime he's gone jungle I've lost lane lol.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No Espy, they're not. You're either reminiscing back to your Bronze days when the standard was lower, or you're just really deluded.
To be fair we (me espy and some from our group) started out in Silver, not bronze when we actually decided to try ranked. Which is exceptionally higher than your b5.
Dunno if that was supposed to be an insult or not, but still.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The only case I see them coming top to force them to camp your lane is when the person they are camping for can hyper scale. Even then if your jungler goes elsewhere and gets objectives, towers or Dragon if you are a top laner, your team is going to be a lot better off doing that, because your whole team benefits from it not just you.

Top lane is mostly a island, unless a jungler is camping you. And if he is doing that he is giving up control of other lanes. Only case I see your jungle needing to go top to help you is again just to stop Nasus/Jax/Singed etc. from hyper scaling. Be smart, look the map, when you have time to type try and direct your team to taking other objectives if going top a lot to stop a camp is a bad idea.

Global objectives giving your team a global advantage will usually help you win better.

Life

Smash Hero
Maybe, just MAYBE, different Bronze players are stuck in Bronze for different reasons?

For example, I don't get to play much, so my practical knowledge is kinda nil despite pretty decent theoretical knowledge (my one friend claims I'm the Regi of our group), which means I'm likely headed for Bronze unless I play a bunch over the summer or something.

I had trouble in lane against Nami mid as Yasuo btw.

Also relevant http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1zfutx/top_10_ways_to_stop_throwing/

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
current PBE changes include yellow trinket not being available till 1:55, which I think is a nice change

Player-3

Smash Hero
Bronze ppl stuck in bronze because they try too hard to play the game at a high level, just kill ****** **** objectives the objective is to make bank

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Guys stop you're confusing poor espy lol.

He doesn't understand that people can lack an objective oriented mindset while still being mechanically good.

I have this kind of people in my friend list, that the people I invite when I want to ARAM.

Guess that explains why P3 only invites me to ARAM games

Life

Smash Hero
I consider myself best at top lane, but I'm coming off of two very strong Thresh games (well technically lost the one but I was doing pretty well for a lot of it, we just threw at baron for no reason) and apparently my Yasuo and my Lucian are also passable, plus my Kayle was banworthy back in the Showdown days if my friends' choices were any indicator. Picking up Zed soon, just have to get used to his mechanics.

Speaking of Zed:

What's the best way to use his ult? Right now I'm R-W-E-Q-BORTK and mixing in autos of course, but that leaves me vulnerable to Flash and I don't have W to escape for a little bit, but his R shadow should work just fine for that right? Also, when is it a good idea to ult? Should I save it for when I'm likely to get the kill (ie. coordinate a gank with the jungler) or is it worth using just to force the enemy out of lane?

Okuser

Smash Ace
I consider myself best at top lane, but I'm coming off of two very strong Thresh games (well technically lost the one but I was doing pretty well for a lot of it, we just threw at baron for no reason) and apparently my Yasuo and my Lucian are also passable, plus my Kayle was banworthy back in the Showdown days if my friends' choices were any indicator. Picking up Zed soon, just have to get used to his mechanics.

Speaking of Zed:

What's the best way to use his ult? Right now I'm R-W-E-Q-BORTK and mixing in autos of course, but that leaves me vulnerable to Flash and I don't have W to escape for a little bit, but his R shadow should work just fine for that right? Also, when is it a good idea to ult? Should I save it for when I'm likely to get the kill (ie. coordinate a gank with the jungler) or is it worth using just to force the enemy out of lane?
it's completely unnecessary to use W for damage after ulting. you want to ult- bork- land Q- E- then if they've flashed/escaped/peeled you, you use W to gap close again. and if you've killed them before your ult shadow fades like you should have, you press R again to back out to safety every time. generally you're gonna be poking people down untill they are at an hp where you know you can kill them with ultimate, which will just take lots of experience to know when that is. after you have your core items you're basically going to be 100%- 0 'ing their squishy champions by initiating with your ultimate.

every zed combo is situational he is EXTREMELY hard to play, you have to get creative with him.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
To be fair we (me espy and some from our group) started out in Silver, not bronze when we actually decided to try ranked. Which is exceptionally higher than your b5.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but I regularly play with silvers and have played against ppl that are as high as Challenger (obviously when I'm premade).

And if Espy started in Silver how can he talk with such confidence about how bad Bronzies are if he never even played there. Silver isn't much different from Bronze ATM, I haven't noticed a difference in the level of players.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

hes bronze 4 now

im so proud of him :^)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I was in b2 then had a run where I won 4 out 30 games, including a 10 game losing streak, and I won my lane most of my games. Had like 5 afks on my team, none on the enemy team, and had at least one +5 feeder in lane literally every single one of those games. I've also lost something like 8 out of the 12 or so promos I've had.

At the back end of S3 I lost like 5 promos to get out of B5, and then when I finally won one, I went 5-5 in my provs and got sent back to B5 like 3 days after finally climbing out lol.

Unlike most people who get bad luck in Bronze, I don't really rage that I can't get out of elo hell, because I realise I'm not a cut above the level of players that I'm matched with at the moment. I also realised that Bronze is a lot better than it used to be, so it's not that much of a bad tag anymore.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
every zed combo is situational he is EXTREMELY hard to play, you have to get creative with him.
^ I basically just improvise everything i do with that champ lol. Pretty sure there's never a clear cut best option as to what you should be doing with Zed, you just gotta feel it. You have to BE the Zed.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Thoughts on the new Kass in PBE?
Looks like they are trying to make Kass into a mana bruiser of sorts.

Void Stone ( Passive )
  • No longer transforms magic damage into bonus attack speed
  • Now allows Kassadin to Ignore Unit Collision
"Kassadin takes 15% reduced magic damage nad ignores unit collision."​
Null Sphere
  • Base damage lowered from 80/105/130/155/180 ( +.5 AP ) from 80/110/140/170/200 ( +.7 AP )
  • No longer silences target for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 sec, although can still interrupt channels. Instead of silence, now grants a magic damage absorbing shield for 2 seconds.
70/75/80/85/90 Mana
9/9/9/9/9 sec Cooldown
"Kassadin fires an orb of void energy at a target enemy, dealing 80/105/130/155/180 ( .5 AP ) magic damage and interrupting channels.
The excess energy forms around himself, granting a shield that absorbs 40/70/100/130/160 ( + 2/3/4/5/6% of total mana ) magic damage for 2/2/2/2/2 seconds."​

Netherblade ( W )
  • Passive: No longer restores mana on hit. This has been moved to the active and replaced with bonus magic damage on hit.
  • Active: No longer adds extra magic damage per attack for a short duration. Instead, it now gives significant bonus damage to the next attack and restores 10% of missing mana - tripled against championjs
  • Cooldown lowered to 7/6/5/4/3 from 12 at all ranks.
No Cost
7/6/5/4/3 sec Cooldown

"Passive: Kassadin's basic attacks draw energy from the void, dealing 20/20/20/20/20 ( 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2% of total mana) bonus magic damage.

Active: Kassadin charges his Nether Blade, causing his next basic attack to deal 40/70/100/130/160 ( .5 AP ) bonus magic damage and restore 10/10/10/10/10% of his missing Mana. Mana restore triples against champions"
Force Pulse ( E )
  • Damage lowered to 80/105/130/155/180 (+.5 AP ) from 80/120/160/200/240 (+.7 AP)
80/80/80/80/80 Mana
6/6/6/6/6 sec Cooldown

"Kassadin draws energy from spells cast in his vicinity, gaining a charge whenever a spell is cast near him.
Upon reaching 6 charges, Kassadin can use Force Pulse to deal 80/105/130/155/180 (+ .5 AP ) magic damage and slow enemies by 30/35/40/45/50% for 3 seconds in a cone in front of him."​
Riftwalk ( R )
100/100/100 Mana
7/5/3 sec Cooldown

"Kassadin teleports to a nearby location dealing 80/120/160 ( 2/4/6% of total mana ) magic damage to surrounding enemy units
Each subsequent Riftwalk within the next 8/8/8 seconds costs 100/100/100 additional Mana, stacks up to [10] times."​

His AP scaling takes a huge hit. Even if he goes Lichbane he still has lower scaling than his kit on live.
His silence is gone, only an interrupt now. I'm fine with that. I like that they kept the "anti-mage" feel of his Q by giving it the magic damage shield though.
The buildpath for mana scaling is pretty insane because you get a disgusting amount of efficiency from RoA and Seraphs, and Frozen Heart easily fits into your core build. That said, his mana scaling isn't nearly as good as Ryze. Hell, his AP scaling isn't even as good as Ryze once you consider Ryze's cooldowns are practically nothing. So... I guess you're trading the best mobility in the game for the whole "I'm a raid boss and I'm going to 1v5 your team" thing lategame Ryze gets to do.

Last edited:

john!

Smash Hero
you guys act like there's one thing bronze players are doing wrong

roughly speaking, you need a certain number of skills to be good at this game, and bronze players lack the highest number of those skills, so there's a huge variety of reasons that all add up to their overall weakness as a player

that's why good players can get away with with unviable **** in bronze, because the weaknesses of their champ/strat are outweighed by the opponent's weaknesses as players

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay everyone

5 zimbabwe dollars to anyone who can tell me, right now, the single dumbest thing that was exclusively changed in the last patch that is stupidly broken. And there is no chance in hell it won't get changed the moment people figure it out.

I'll give you a hint

TEEMO
GANGPLANK
CASS
MALZAHAR
BRAND
TWITCH
RUMBLE

I actually think I'm going to rename my smurf to TRISTANA TOP ONLY and get that **** rolling.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
you guys act like there's one thing bronze players are doing wrong

roughly speaking, you need a certain number of skills to be good at this game, and bronze players lack the highest number of those skills, so there's a huge variety of reasons that all add up to their overall weakness as a player

that's why good players can get away with with unviable **** in bronze, because the weaknesses of their champ/strat are outweighed by the opponent's weaknesses as players

Good players can carry games in Challenger with troll picks. I've seen 0 cs support Shaco carry Challenger, and other stuff like that. People who think that you need meta picks to win are deluding themselves.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Alright, because I like you guys, and I know you guys like Free Elo.

Spellthief will apply with dots. In other words, every dot ability will always use all 3 stacks. This includes the bonus damage it gives (so +10 damage per tic).

"Wow Shaya, that's not that dumb, you're a ******".

Then you realise that the mechanics of the item have continually generating stacks even if you last hit.

And then you sit down to do the maths and come to a really funny conclusion.
If you can hit an enemy with a dot once per wave before farming the wave, you are gaining 42 [21 for spell thief] gold extra per wave. You can use the item to great effect in solos... lol.

Last edited:

john!

Smash Hero
i'm only doing one math, but 30 damage every 30 seconds doesn't seem that OP to me, unless i misunderstood you.

edit: just saw your edit, seems fine but you are probably going to miss a few CS while waiting 12 seconds and then looking for an opportunity to use your DOT. have you tried this in-game?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
have you tried this in-game?
Yes. And the item doesn't stop you from getting gold from last hits. It just means that you are capable of generating an extra 42 gold per wave if you're efficient with it's usages. Teeto against melees. Compare that to other gold generation items of the past and present and that it's not denying you from any other regular means of getting gold if used as such.

Compare avarice blade, 2 gold per last hit, 2 gold per 5 for 800 gold to Frostfang's 4 gold per 5 and 30 gold per wave if an enemy is present for 865. Gold efficient after 6 waves.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I just played 10 minutes as Malz against a Leona bot, and eventually fully upgraded it. I wasn't trying particularly hard, and I got to upgrade the item stupidly early because I got a couple kills, but after 10 minutes I got 179 passive gold and 210 gold from Tribute. The gold from Tribute will go up much faster as the game goes on though, because once the item is fully upgraded like you said, you can still get harass gold without losing it from last hits.
Probably worth it, but not particularly op i think?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
meh, they'll probably just increase the cd of killing a unit to stop solo laners

fqc is fun as **** to use with annie tho

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just a clarification after further testing. Doesn't work on auto attack dots (GP/Teemo/Twitch). Teemo gets 2 procs per auto attack though, so basically still okay.

I would say they'd stop solos from building it if the last hit thing PROPERLY disabled the passive (as in, stopped generating stacks for it).

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Disabling it from generating stacks after taking CS kind of defeats one of the reasons they gave it the stacks though.
If you're a character like Sona that can actually take advantage of the FQC line you kind of can't help but unintentionally take some CS just in the nature of her kit. Or if your carry is going to miss a CS you're not punished by taking it yourself. Or if your carry is just not in lane for whatever reason.

If solo lanes taking it is a problem then they just need to lengthen the window it is disabled for after CSing. I don't really think you would have to lengthen it for the second tier, because at that point you've already put in a pretty significant portion of your early game money into an item that doesn't offer you as many combat stats as other options; you'll lose to somebody who bought say, double Dorans for a similar investment, basically banking on the gold generation will eventually be better.
The first tier is relatively low opportunity cost though, not as safe or stat efficient as Dorans or w/e but not as risky as something like Red Pot start. If anything's a problem it would be the first tier.

Top Bottom