• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
@ #HBC | Acrostic #HBC | Acrostic Any suggestions for a good jungle champ, then? Besides Warwick.
If you haven't done so, I would like you try out Shaco's Q on crossing terrain, especially the dragon pit. Not to mention all the key areas that he can cross using deceive alone so you are familiar with potential escape paths when you play as him. I also want to make sure you are using smartcast on spells and are aware of custom keybindings on items to comfortably triggers the active on ravenous hydra. Rammus is an interesting jungler and he's on free rotation.

However, there are also a lot of other fun champions that are free this week. I would suggest that you try out Kallista / Ashe as ADC's, Teemo / Riven as top laners, and Nami / Thresh as supports. You will become a better jungler by gradually learning more about other roles and champions. There's no need for you to over specialize in just one role, although jungle can be the most fun role to play.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Smartcast?
Smartcast. Means you trigger spells when you press your QWER keys rather than having to press those keys and then click on the target or position where you want it to have an affect. If you check your menu options there should be one available for smart casting.

Werekill said:
Oh, and I'm definitely playing Thresh Sup, lol. He's awesome so far. I tried Fiddle, but eh. He seems like he isn't my style. Maybe Xin Zhao?
When you start playing the game, the easiest way to categorize champions is roughly in these three categories:

You said you dislike Cho'gath, because if we had to categorize I would say that Cho'Gath is primarily on the poke side (sustain being secondary). While it is true that his ultimate is instantaneous and can deal "burst"-like damage, his identity for most of the game is to be a poke-oriented tank that relies on his ultimate to finish off low health targets. Fiddlesticks is primarily sustain oriented (poke being secondary) and to use his ultimate effectively in the beginning you're going to be Zhonya's dependent. The fact that you dislike Fiddle isn't surprising because he requires a lot of finesse comparative to all the junglers in the game.

Now when we have Shaco, his play style is burst oriented which means that he basically goes all-in on an enemy and assassinates them and then uses his stealth abilities to reset all his cooldowns so he can burst someone else down again. You may want to try out Rengar and Kha'zix who are also AD junglers with stealth mechanics and burst type damage if you are looking for stealth oriented champions with burst AD damage output.

Then there are more sustained DPS oriented champions who don't rely as much on having burst, however deal more damage over time combining their skills with their auto attacks. Although they don't have a stealth mechanic like the previous mentioned champions, they have mobility move around short distances to create ganks and pressure on the enemy so that even if they are seen, it doesn't make a difference as they can still kill the enemy before they can reach their tower: Vi, Jarvan IV, and Lee Sin.

These champions have gap closers much like other AD champions i.e. Irelia, Fiora, Xin Zhao to name a few. However, you will notice that Vi, Jarvan, and Lee Sin have greater potential for mobility because they are not gated by being limited to use their gap closers on minions, jungle creeps, or enemy champions. These champions can either directly traverse gaps or create points to traverse and travel instantaneously after setting up their destination point enabling them to gank quickly and escape quickly.

I would abuse free rotation week as much as possible and look up champion kits on the wikia. Learning gradually and by in game experience is always the best method to learn.

Last edited:

rhan

Smash Hero
Smartcast. Means you trigger spells when you press your QWER keys rather than having to press those keys and then click on the target or position where you want it to have an affect. If you check your menu options there should be one available for smart casting.
Just to clarify this. You have to press and release the button for most skill shots (EX: Jinx's E) and auto spells (EX: Teemo's Q). I can't remember if spells like Zyra's W count towards the press and release or if it's just pressing down the button.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
LolKing gives bard a win rate of 34%.

...is that the lowest win rate ever?

I've been having comparatively good success with bard in normal queue (probably 50%), but perhaps I've been lucky. Roaming to mid lane 2-3 times pre level 6 with ignite is pretty damaging for the opponent even if you don't secure kills. I've been building frostgang upgrade and rod of ages with decent success, but I'm not sure if this is optimal in view of only having 1 AP scaling spell.

I think bard's main issues are the high communication required, ambiguity in build path and a weirdo ult. I genuinely can't tell if my ult helps or hinders the team sometimes.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
He's been out for what, a week now ? He brings a lot of new things in the game and it'll take time before people understand what he can do. Also he doesn't have a lot of damage in his kit so he can't simply 1v5 carry.

I remember the time it took for people to learn to click Thresh's lantern or use Kalista's ult, Bard is going to take even longer imo.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You use the Magical weed journey for rotations, how hard can that be?
The most "hardest" thing about his kit is getting the stun off on his Q, otherwise rest of his kit is pretty simple.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So I like bard because he's one of these Champs riot puts out that encourages /teach people different strategies or game mechanics in his kit. Sort of like how Draven forces people to learn orb walking, tf encorages mid lane roaming, shen encourages top lane having tp/map awareness, Etc. Bard teach and encorages supports roaming to help the whole team, not just being a baby sitter

That said, I think his whole kit is utter horse ****. The q is good, the heal alter a bit underwhelming but still good. The wall portal is rediculous, and the ultimate is ********. Actually the stupidest ultimate concept since poppy. It's broken, and has crazy range. Low win rate is just due to people being bad with him, he's rediculous and I expect nerfs to his ultimate once they sell enough skin /bundles for him

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I still hate Riven. No champion should have what she has.
Luckily other champs are more bull****. :applejack:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Dear lord, what's so bad about Riven?

LolKing gives bard a win rate of 34%.

...is that the lowest win rate ever?

I've been having comparatively good success with bard in normal queue (probably 50%), but perhaps I've been lucky. Roaming to mid lane 2-3 times pre level 6 with ignite is pretty damaging for the opponent even if you don't secure kills. I've been building frostgang upgrade and rod of ages with decent success, but I'm not sure if this is optimal in view of only having 1 AP scaling spell.

I think bard's main issues are the high communication required, ambiguity in build path and a weirdo ult. I genuinely can't tell if my ult helps or hinders the team sometimes.
First Week Azir was around there.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm not too sure. It's kinda like the Yoshi effect in Smash 4. People hate him and say he's broken while putting him in top 3, but then nobody plays him and all the videos of him online for both US and Japan is him losing.

Riven's case is she can be strong top lane if you know how to play her, if she just kinda spams her abilities without thinking on minions and the enemy laner does nothing to abuse her decently long cooldowns early on, then they deserve to lose.

Her mobility is good, but then you look at the likes of leblanc ahri zed fizz or if just wanna talk about top laners, Gnar, Sion having a get out of jail free card, maokai never dying while being able to have all the CC in the world + invulnerable ability, Lissandra E + more cc everywhere (Q on 2 second CD)

Besides, if a Riven wants to be as mobile as the other top laners, she needs to get 15 CDR in blues, which means no MR. Her first item rush is usually brut and Lucidity with maybe a pickaxe for either tiamat or LW if they stack armor. So any top laner that has ranged magic damage (all the best ones) or just is ranged in general with an escape can beat her.

It's all about how good the riven is, outplay potential. Cause she can go even with literally all her match ups, even against Irelia who ****s on her if she's allowed to get to level 3. If she's bad, she loses all her match-ups.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
First Week Azir was around there.
The analogy falls through because Azir was not solely hindered by his higher skill floor, but also by bugs that affected the actual champions skills which resulted in there being inconsistent results with his kit.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The analogy falls through because Azir was not solely hindered by his higher skill floor, but also by bugs that affected the actual champions skills which resulted in there being inconsistent results with his kit.
Didnt suggest the situation was analogous just that I don't think it was the lowest winrate ever

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Build right during lane phase, don't do **** like double dblade into greaves then the crit sword for that hot gold (yes I've seen wonky builds like this even in diamond area) Position in teamfights

Doesn't matter who, just auto whoever is in front of your face. Don't prioritize lifesteal over attack speed and crit (IE/PD) just buy an elixir for that, 400 gold for 25 ad and 10% lifesteal I think over 800 gold for 10 lifesteal and 10 ad from vamp scepter.
Don't play ads like quinn varus etc. lol

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
This season, my highest win rate is ADC. I normally main teemo/support.

Been playing miss fortune, caitlyn and jinx.

I farm consistently well (regardless of being camped, having a terrible support or losing first blood)
I maintain map pressure on bot lane (push/deny/early turret + good rotations)
I rotate well around the map; I keep side lanes pushed when appropriate and am present for objectives and teamfights
I position and kite reasonably well in teamfights. I never die for free

I hate when AD carries leave huge waves to die on turrets for no reason, recall while the lane is inappropriately pushed or walk aimlessly round the map. People still do these things in diamond.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Something I have trouble understanding is how many waves I should push in order to not lose CS while I'm away.
I get it that it changes depending on the number of turrets down on the lane, but I can't tell what the good thing to do is and usually go for the "clear until you have a 4-5 creep advantage" technique.

So is there a rule of thumb or something ?

PS : about the adc disc someone once told me that I should get IE by the 15 min mark or else my damage would be irrelevant for the rest of the game. I guess what he meant by it is that adc is the most item reliant role.

Player-3

Smash Hero
carrying as adc is literally just doing ur job lol

do dmg hit towers (DO THIS ONE THIS ONE IS VERY IMPORTANT UR JOB IS NOT TO POKE IN A SIEGE) dont die

Last edited:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Something I have trouble understanding is how many waves I should push in order to not lose CS while I'm away.
I get it that it changes depending on the number of turrets down on the lane, but I can't tell what the good thing to do is and usually go for the "clear until you have a 4-5 creep advantage" technique.

So is there a rule of thumb or something ?

PS : about the adc disc someone once told me that I should get IE by the 15 min mark or else my damage would be irrelevant for the rest of the game. I guess what he meant by it is that adc is the most item reliant role.
When you recall, you need to make sure you haven't left the lane pushed. Your minion wave should either be dying under the enemy turret or the lane should be neutral. This prevents the opponent freezing and ultimately denying one or two waves of CS from you. It also makes returning to your lane much safer (for you and your support).

That's another bizarre thing you see in lower elo. When the ADC is doing badly, the jungler will be like "you suck, i'm taking your farm". It turns into a self fulfilling prophecy where the ADC will never catch up or become relevant in game because their own team purposely handicapped the only way to catch up - gold.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Is it still true that Lucian / Draven are great for snowballing a lane by going HAM with a level 2 advantage.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Don't play ads like quinn varus etc. lol
Varus is better now if you have a poke comp tho. His Q cooldown was just changed to start when you activate it instead of when the arrow is fired, so you can basically start charging an arrow, then after you walk around a bit and fire it, start charging another literally like 2 seconds later. So many arrows.

Quinn is still garbage bot tho

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Varus Q is bugged because the Cooldown thing is doing that randomly actually.

He still has no mobility, just more attack speed and a lock up ult.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The bug only happens if you release the arrow directly before the mana refund happens, just dont do that and youre good

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This thread hasn't had posts in awhile.
One thing I sometimes like about watching random videos (like montecristo's thing that was on the front page a couple days ago) is that they tell ya info you sometimes notice but need someone else to tell you what's going on.

5.6 has turned this meta into the tank meta again and sustained fights as if it's S2. Which is y Urgot is coming up as an ADC/Mid laner, Naut support and thresh being more popular over old ones like morg lulu etc. and junglers been tanks since Diamond chose Sej during LCS weeks ago during 5.5 I think.

Mid laners karthus anivia and other more tanky characters that can last long enough for a sustained fight.
I like this return of the meta kinda, wonder what other random picks will pop up. Sad to say while anivia is a decent pick, not entirely the greatest especially since no movespeed and autos do negative damage.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've been waiting a while for tank meta again, I can play my top lanes now.Trundle/Olaf here I come, its been a while

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Come on guys, worse than nemesis draft ? Worse than TT hexakill ?

Then what would be the best ? I remember someone proposing to make all the ults global, it would probably be fun.

Player-3

Smash Hero
urf is great everyone just sucks major ass at it

just jungle till lvl 6 then **** on kids cuz they're still lvl 4 tryna do lane ****

Top Bottom